Author Topic: handyman-ness  (Read 135276 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: handyman-ness
« Reply #1100 on: August 19, 2018, 11:32:03 PM »
i installed a a new motion sensor security light over my garage, yesterday, because some dirtbag rifled around in my unlocked Jeep the other week.   Very first night i'm sitting there and see the light go on around 9:30 and i'm thinking "Oh its on!" 

I creep over to the nearest window and peer out to see a boring and unoccupied 2008 Jeep wrangler.  Disappointed and slightly concern at the prospect of a faulty motion light i about walk away before seeing it.  A big fat possum waddling around my driveway, hair like balding man and log rat tail.

I'll keep everyone posted on the critter watch that i'm privy to now, thanks to my new motion light and handyman-ness
what brand did you pick? Night vision, power source, storage?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: August 19, 2018, 11:35:47 PM »
I hope you put some clean rock and some drain tile behind that wall Tom.
with all the openings from the bags we'll probably be okay with water weeping through.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: August 20, 2018, 08:03:46 AM »
I hope you put some clean rock and some drain tile behind that wall Tom.
with all the openings from the bags we'll probably be okay with water weeping through.

Possibly.....unless the dirt starts washing through the openings creating voids behind the wall. 
@mikec2w

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: August 20, 2018, 10:38:35 AM »
I put together a couple of tables and a fancy new office desk this weekend and felt pretty handy
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: August 21, 2018, 12:47:11 AM »
i installed a a new motion sensor security light over my garage, yesterday, because some dirtbag rifled around in my unlocked Jeep the other week.   Very first night i'm sitting there and see the light go on around 9:30 and i'm thinking "Oh its on!" 

I creep over to the nearest window and peer out to see a boring and unoccupied 2008 Jeep wrangler.  Disappointed and slightly concern at the prospect of a faulty motion light i about walk away before seeing it.  A big fat possum waddling around my driveway, hair like balding man and log rat tail.

I'll keep everyone posted on the critter watch that i'm privy to now, thanks to my new motion light and handyman-ness
what brand did you pick? Night vision, power source, storage?
The light i installed was not a security light, it was more of a deterrent.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ETUHXR4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
All it does is light up for movement. 
As an observation, i was able to spot several opossums and raccoons as a result of the light.  But, on the flip, it has gone off several times on windy days due to trees.  It does a decent job (i'd say +75% incidence of going off should anyone walk up to my car (parked 20ft away)) of just lighting up if someone is walking up to my garage.

Around this same time, i ordered a camera
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074JKD49Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But it is yet installed, today, i was reseaching how my existing Kody server and RAID array might be able to store footage from this camera
https://www.comparitech.com/kodi/kodi-security-cameras/#gref
So i think this next weekend i might finally find a spot for it, i'l report back how the setup goes, bearing in mind i have a good deal of the setup prearranged (storage)

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 23, 2018, 06:33:45 AM »
Updating the landscaping this fall.  Pulled the shrubs, replaced lava rock with river rock, built water feature from parts on-hand.  So far very happy. :)  Mondo grass is going.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: August 23, 2018, 12:44:00 PM »
Updating the landscaping this fall.  Pulled the shrubs, replaced lava rock with river rock, built water feature from parts on-hand.  So far very happy. :)  Mondo grass is going.

you don't really have pumpkins out on August 23 do you?

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: August 23, 2018, 02:10:53 PM »

you don't My wife really have has pumpkins out on August 23. do you?   :facepalm:  I know

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: August 23, 2018, 02:15:17 PM »
nothing to be ashamed of slackcat, she's just celebrating the greatest holiday that happens in the greatest calendar month of mankind.
why apologize?  i wear my jesse jackson and/or horse masks year round.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 04, 2018, 08:09:54 AM »
Worked out the frustration of cat and gorilla losses by replacing rotted steps on my son's rental house deck.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: November 05, 2018, 05:51:47 AM »
Job well done.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 22, 2019, 09:21:27 AM »
i'm going to attempt to replace a toilet tomorrow. the tank cracked, i tried sealing it with plumber's putty but the crack sort of goes around the bottom curve of the tank and when i started to fill it back up with water, the water just lol'd at the putty and leaked immediately. i looked into replacing only the tank, but the toilet is super old (stamp says 1981) and i think i'll just get an entire new toilet. please rank difficulty out of 7. it looks like it should be a 2 but i don't know what i'm going to find under the current toilet, due to the age of the house.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 22, 2019, 09:28:06 AM »
i'm going to attempt to replace a toilet tomorrow. the tank cracked, i tried sealing it with plumber's putty but the crack sort of goes around the bottom curve of the tank and when i started to fill it back up with water, the water just lol'd at the putty and leaked immediately. i looked into replacing only the tank, but the toilet is super old (stamp says 1981) and i think i'll just get an entire new toilet. please rank difficulty out of 7. it looks like it should be a 2 but i don't know what i'm going to find under the current toilet, due to the age of the house.

2-2.5. The things that can happen are if the water shutoff doesn't actually shut the water off or leaks and if the mounting ring/bracket is still in good shape or lines up with the new one. Will know once you pull the old toilet off.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 22, 2019, 10:33:33 AM »
Buy the extra thick wax gasket which will compensate for uneven floor and other screwed up things under the toilet.  Also, don't tighten the nuts which hold the toilet down too tight or you can crack the base of the toilet.  Probably also wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a package of plastic shims just in case you need to level the toilet.  They are usually sold in little packs in the same area that you would buy the toilet and wax gaskets.
@mikec2w

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: March 22, 2019, 12:07:31 PM »
The wax is the #1 most important thing, the rest of pud af
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: April 08, 2019, 05:04:55 PM »
During a snowstorm this winter the old timey phone line from my house to the utility pole came down (Disconnected from the utility pole). I dont have a home phone so this has had no impact on my life.

Currently the line is pooled up on my patio next to where it goes into the house. What should I do?

Cut the line close to where it enters the house? Its a phone line and only going into my house so I doubt I'm going to die or anything.

Call someone? No idea who it would be.

I'm going to ignore it as long as possible but at some point I'm going to have to do something with it right?

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: April 08, 2019, 05:18:29 PM »
You can cut it with no negative consequences

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: April 08, 2019, 05:43:21 PM »
Can we get an update?
:adios:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: April 08, 2019, 08:21:50 PM »
Can we get an update?
Really easy, AINT NO LEAKS!

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: May 12, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 07, 2019, 04:51:11 PM »

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 07, 2019, 08:06:48 PM »
Removed river rock, planted some plants, and mulched around the mailbox last weekend. Felt really good.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 10, 2019, 08:59:59 AM »
My mom's husband has gotten into flipping houses around the country and is currently doing a house in Branson. The contractor he's using has been pud af and quoted like 17 grand to install cabinets and countertop in the kitchen so he asked if I could come down and help him out. Sidenote, I had never been to Branson and it's very gross, the Las Vegas of Jesus weirdos.

Mom's husband giving the thumbs up on Saturday. Saw battery died so I had about 90 minutes on Sunday to finish up

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 10, 2019, 09:19:49 AM »
Nice job, but your stepdad... :Yuck:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 10, 2019, 09:21:19 AM »
This is real handyman work kdiddy, not some gosh darn fashion show.