Author Topic: handyman-ness  (Read 135379 times)

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: handyman-ness
« Reply #275 on: August 28, 2014, 02:24:08 PM »
Welp... too rainy/humid to do anything outside today. Tree will live until at least tomorrow (the half that's alive anyway).
Probably the wrong the thread to be giving out T & O (turf and ornamental) advice, but don't try to transplant a tree that isn't healthy in the month of August. Wait until end of Sept or first of Oct. (assuming you live in KS)

What about transplanting to the firewood pile?
Oh crap. This is two days in a row of drinking for me and I am just rough ridin' worthless.

:lol:

Confused the crap out of me with the first response dobber. Then Spracne stole my reply  :shakesfist:

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 28, 2014, 02:28:28 PM »
When you guys travel does your wife manage to break at least one thing?  I swear to eff.  Always come home to broken crap.  She freely admits it only happens when I leave, too.  :curse:

Yes, and this exactly describes my feeling every time I get that phone call.

Maybe if you guys would get the stuff done that she asked you to do and she didn't have to try to do it herself while you are gone then she wouldn't break stuff.  :dunno:
Or hang it horribly crooked.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 03, 2014, 09:27:37 AM »
replaced a bathroom fan  :cool:

lessons learned:

-dont do in summer because it is a billion degrees in the attic
-a serrated kitchen knife is a great drywall saw (possibly better than an actual drywall saw.)
-try to convice your s/o not no fall asleep while you do this in case you pass out in the attic or fall through the ceiling and they need to be there to call the ambulance/fireman.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 03, 2014, 02:52:22 PM »

your significant other will get used to this new found handymaness.  For instance I changed out my sump pump, all of the piping, and back up power wiring for it this weekend. Basically ensuring my basement never becomes Iowa State's campus.

CNSWife: "that's nice.   Thanks for doing that."

bought, gutted, and remodeled our entire house this spring summer. all new plumbing, electrical, 90% of walls replaced. new kitchen, two new bathrooms. did it all myself (ex-contractor) saved us approx 50k.

kcfdwife: how much longer will this take? it can't be that hard :bang:
Same exact response when I was doing my porch. Saved probably $5k and it was always "are you really working on that again tonight? Why can't it just be done. It's all you have been doing"

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 03, 2014, 04:34:47 PM »

your significant other will get used to this new found handymaness.  For instance I changed out my sump pump, all of the piping, and back up power wiring for it this weekend. Basically ensuring my basement never becomes Iowa State's campus.

CNSWife: "that's nice.   Thanks for doing that."

bought, gutted, and remodeled our entire house this spring summer. all new plumbing, electrical, 90% of walls replaced. new kitchen, two new bathrooms. did it all myself (ex-contractor) saved us approx 50k.

kcfdwife: how much longer will this take? it can't be that hard :bang:
Same exact response when I was doing my porch. Saved probably $5k and it was always "are you really working on that again tonight? Why can't it just be done. It's all you have been doing"

yup. everyday she gets home from work (the days I'm not working) she asks "what did you do on the house today?" uh, look around, we have all new light switches and outlets... "that took all day? seems really easy"

:dubious:

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 03, 2014, 04:46:17 PM »
I need to build fence/gates on each side of the house to enclose the backyard.  One side will be over an existing concrete slab.  What's the best what to cut postholes through the slab?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 03, 2014, 04:53:24 PM »
I need to build fence/gates on each side of the house to enclose the backyard.  One side will be over an existing concrete slab.  What's the best what to cut postholes through the slab?

Core drill, probably. 

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 03, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »

Core drill, probably.

yup. you can rent one from a HD or Lowe's for pretty cheap and they're pretty easy to use.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 03, 2014, 05:15:38 PM »
Thanks buds.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 03, 2014, 05:37:43 PM »
Or just use a bracket to attach to the concrete
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 03, 2014, 06:39:01 PM »
or just use double sided tape to attach to le concrete

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 03, 2014, 06:47:51 PM »
or just use double sided tape to attach to le concrete

This is not a permanent solution
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 03, 2014, 07:43:22 PM »
Or just use a bracket to attach to the concrete

the wind load would blow it over pretty quickly.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 07, 2014, 10:39:30 AM »
Look - everyone here knows I'm handy as eff, we all get it. However, I have never built a fence. I will attempt this tomorrow. 34 posts 4x4x8, 80 2x4x8's, 400 cedar pickets, 34 bags of concrete mix, 2 levels, 2 power drills (DeWalt obvs), 1 2 man auger, 1 miter saw, and a crap ton of Miller Lite.

I need to have this done before the cats game. USA! USA! USA!
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 07, 2014, 10:41:04 AM »
Let those posts cure before putting on the pickets.  Supposed to be windy this weekend and not doing so will make sure your footings are worthless, like immediately.

Set posts this weekend, set pickets next weekend.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 07, 2014, 10:43:56 AM »
good call. the pickets are pussy crap, can be done whenever.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 07, 2014, 10:44:35 AM »
Let those posts cure before putting on the pickets.  Supposed to be windy this weekend and not doing so will make sure your footings are worthless, like immediately.

Set posts this weekend, set pickets next weekend.

Thought this common knowledge was common.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 07, 2014, 10:45:09 AM »
LOL, good luck

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 07, 2014, 10:46:51 AM »
epic facepalm.  what would america be without a fence holding you in it

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 07, 2014, 10:48:10 AM »
epic facepalm.  what would america be without a fence holding you in it

K_S_U, get in here!

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 07, 2014, 10:53:46 AM »
Look - everyone here knows I'm handy as eff, we all get it. However, I have never built a fence. I will attempt this tomorrow. 34 posts 4x4x8, 80 2x4x8's, 400 cedar pickets, 34 bags of concrete mix, 2 levels, 2 power drills (DeWalt obvs), 1 2 man auger, 1 miter saw, and a crap ton of Miller Lite.

I need to have this done before the cats game. USA! USA! USA!

:sdeek:

just helped my friend with his the last couple weeks. Dug all 30 holes/set the posts in one day. Digsafe didn't mark the ISP cable lines...so we cut that bad boy and knocked out a couple houses during college football. Managed to avoid all the sprinkler lines luckily.

after 2 weeks, still have a quarter of the pickets left to put up....plus finish screwing in the ones we have already put up. Saved him a couple grand tho so i guess it was worth it :dunno:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 07, 2014, 11:00:32 AM »
Nail gun.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 07, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »
also, we didn't put enough concrete in each hole. only did 1 bag per hole, except the corner posts which got 2. oops.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 07, 2014, 11:08:12 AM »
How hard is it to put in new light fixtures? I want to put up a new ceiling fan/light in the kitchen and dining room.

Handyman Level: Beginner(Past experience - Flapper in toilet, scraping wallpaper/repainting, built elevated garden bed)

I know absolutely nothing about electrical wiring so my current plan is to invite my Electrical Engineer friend over to show me how. He is an Expert Handyman who has basically gutted and rewired his entire house.

****Ben Ji's Dad Side Story**** Senior year of High School my dad decides to do some handy man electrical work in my parents bathroom. Crawls up in the attic and gets to work....When he is finished the light in the bathroom would not turn off, just constantly on...Refused to admit defeat and would just stand up on the toilet to unscrew the lightbulb when he wanted to light off....if he wasnt home and the light was unscrewed/off my mom would make me stand on the toilet and screw it back in. Eventually he caved and had to call an actual electrician to fix the wiring.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 07, 2014, 11:08:56 AM »
how long are you going to live with this fence?  if not 10+ years I would consider using air nail gun/stapler for the pickets, especially if the fence will have a cap and rail top