Author Topic: handyman-ness  (Read 135434 times)

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: handyman-ness
« Reply #200 on: April 28, 2014, 10:49:15 PM »
Do you have a fireplace with like a wooden mantle?

nah, it has a brick mantle. i like where your head is at on that but the house was built with windows 6" on either side of the fireplace so any changes to the mantle would really make those windows look weird.

Actually that works just as well.  I was just going to say what if you cut it into 2 ft lengths and then burned it in your fireplace.

why would i want to burn wood in a gas fireplace?  you don't make much sense when you are being butthurt

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 28, 2014, 11:49:17 PM »
 With those metal rings it looks like something Colin Sweeney would use.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2014, 08:04:03 AM »
With those metal rings it looks like something Colin Sweeney Caligula would use.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 29, 2014, 08:21:53 AM »
My B+ idea is moving into A- territory!  I do think whatever you do the rings need to be involved. What about hanging it from the ceiling in a long room or long hallway and hanging little lights from the rings all the way down. (Cut the length if needed)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 29, 2014, 08:28:25 AM »

nah, it has a brick mantle. i like where your head is at on that but the house was built with windows 6" on either side of the fireplace so any changes to the mantle would really make those windows look weird.

Actually that works just as well.  I was just going to say what if you cut it into 2 ft lengths and then burned it in your fireplace.

why would i want to burn wood in a gas fireplace?  you don't make much sense when you are being butthurt

It was funny.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 29, 2014, 08:30:34 AM »
bear with me, as I am not a gardener, but mhParents have some latticework stuff that some vine thingy grows on in the front yard. sometimes it grows flowers in the spring time. maybe do that?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2014, 08:34:54 AM »
I want an attic fan in my next house.

Seems they never do this any more.

1.  Why don't they do it?

2.  How hard would it be to add?

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »

Love mine during certain times of year. Other times you need to block it up to keep cold in or heat in. Seems like they should have new self insulating ones or something.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2014, 08:44:52 AM »

It was funny.

He should convert it into this.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 29, 2014, 08:47:59 AM »

It was funny.

will accept as an alternate answer to butthurt

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 29, 2014, 08:50:47 AM »
Do you have kids?  Turn into stockage for punishment/public shaming.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 29, 2014, 10:50:16 AM »

I was told by an HVAC commercial guy that the electricity you use to run an attic fan usually doesn't save you money over the electricity you use to run an AC fan, so don't do it unless you are doing it for the fresh air and not some idea of saving money.   I haven't calculated it my self, but sounds reasonable.  I mean, attic fans are big ass fans.

That said,  there are certain dishes I cook that put of a little smoke.   Attic fan clears that crap great.

If you add one, the fan, rough in, and electrical should run you around 1.5 - 2k, depending on how hard it is to access the place you want it and if your attic is vented in such a way thay it would actually work.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 29, 2014, 10:52:36 AM »
Do you have kids?  Turn into stockage for punishment/public shaming.

Is that you?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 29, 2014, 10:54:25 AM »

I was told by an HVAC commercial guy that the electricity you use to run an attic fan usually doesn't save you money over the electricity you use to run an AC fan, so don't do it unless you are doing it for the fresh air and not some idea of saving money.   I haven't calculated it my self, but sounds reasonable.  I mean, attic fans are big ass fans.

That said,  there are certain dishes I cook that put of a little smoke.   Attic fan clears that crap great.

If you add one, the fan, rough in, and electrical should run you around 1.5 - 2k, depending on how hard it is to access the place you want it and if your attic is vented in such a way thay it would actually work.

The A/C compressor takes way more electricity to run than the fan, FWIW.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 29, 2014, 10:55:37 AM »
My B+ idea is moving into A- territory!  I do think whatever you do the rings need to be involved. What about hanging it from the ceiling in a long room or long hallway and hanging little lights from the rings all the way down. (Cut the length if needed)

yeah, making it a chandelier would be cool. But probably cut it into halves or thirds, mount in your house, sell the other two. Alternative would be some sort of picture frame shelf. Option 3 is trash. I mean how hard is it to find old shitty looking wood.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 29, 2014, 10:57:57 AM »

The A/C compressor takes way more electricity to run than the fan, FWIW.

Fair enough.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 29, 2014, 11:01:55 AM »
Sell it to American Pickers. The skinny dude would love that.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 29, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »

You have other issues if your attic fan is removing smoke from inside your house.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 29, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »

You have other issues if your attic fan is removing smoke from inside your house.

At the time I had an attic fan, I still had the starter house(side to side split with kitchen on mid level).  Open a downstairs window and a kitchen window, turn on the attic fan, and it pulled it right out.  Would take the slight haze of blackening a fuckload of catfish out of a house in no time.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 29, 2014, 01:24:10 PM »

Sometimes she gets distracted and burns the crap out of stuff.  I still love her, though.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 29, 2014, 01:30:54 PM »
This is going to turn right into the cooking thread, but I used to make pancakes a certain way that made them super(almost crape) thin, still fluffy, yet had a slightly buttery almost crisp to the outside.  They are pretty amazing but required a lot of butter and a super almost-at-melting-point skillet to make.  That used to smoke like crazy when making anything more than two. 

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 29, 2014, 02:31:59 PM »
omg put some meat on it lol
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 29, 2014, 02:40:08 PM »
sausage rack

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2014, 02:44:48 PM »
I think I have identified the problem. The term "attic fan" is being used, when they should be saying "whole house fan". An attic fan is used to remove air from the attic. The whole house fan is what is being described. Google it.

I had a whole house fan in the Valley in CA. It was pretty great. I could turn it on for 5 minutes first thing in the morning and the AC wouldn't kick on until 11am or Noon if I kept the house mostly closed.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 29, 2014, 03:01:38 PM »
I think I have identified the problem. The term "attic fan" is being used, when they should be saying "whole house fan". An attic fan is used to remove air from the attic. The whole house fan is what is being described. Google it.

I had a whole house fan in the Valley in CA. It was pretty great. I could turn it on for 5 minutes first thing in the morning and the AC wouldn't kick on until 11am or Noon if I kept the house mostly closed.

Dobbs, working in residential construction in NE KS from the time I was 14 to until graduating college, I can assure you that Kansans have found yet another thing to be inaccurate on and in fact call what Google believes to be a "whole house fan" and "attic fan".