Author Topic: Awesome things people around you are giving up for Lent  (Read 17327 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome things people around you are giving up for Lent
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2016, 01:57:02 PM »
I'd give up football, if I practiced

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2016, 02:12:33 PM »
I read a really interesting article about Pope Francis' guidance for what/how to give up for lent.  I am not Catholic, but it was really inspiring.  I rough ridin' love the crap out of Pope Francis.

Essentially the message was that one ought to sacrifice in a way that helps others.  Giving up chocolate is superficial, when compared to giving up a leisure activity to instead volunteer somewhere, for example.  Everything should be viewed through the lens of service to others.

Made me really think a great deal.  Pope Francis is a badass [redacted]. 

I am going to choose a leisure activity to give up and use that time to volunteer and be of service to others.  I am going to roll with Francis on this one!

what a great opportunity to put that mountain bike on the shelf for the next 6 weeks

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2016, 04:08:41 PM »

I read a really interesting article about Pope Francis' guidance for what/how to give up for lent.  I am not Catholic, but it was really inspiring.  I rough ridin' love the crap out of Pope Francis.

Essentially the message was that one ought to sacrifice in a way that helps others.  Giving up chocolate is superficial, when compared to giving up a leisure activity to instead volunteer somewhere, for example.  Everything should be viewed through the lens of service to others.

I am going to choose a leisure activity to give up and use that time to volunteer and be of service to others.  I am going to roll with Francis on this one!

what a great opportunity to put that mountain bike on the shelf for the next 6 weeks

Wouldn't be a true sacrifice with the weather recently...now, 6 weeks after that boy howdy!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2016, 04:09:06 PM »

First, how is this thread not in the Pit?

Pope Francis makes an excellent point. However, if it takes Lent for you to go out and do good in your community then that seems like a bigger issue.

Lent and sacrifices made during Lent mean different things to different people. In my case, is giving up cheese life changing? Of course not. But you know what, I really enjoy eating cheese and I'm not going to do it for the next 46 days. And every time I feel like I want to give in and have some it will cause a brief moment of reflection of what I am doing.

Religion in general has many aspects that are private and personal. Participate or don't, it's entirely up to each person.

You bet, to each his own, man. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2016, 04:17:07 PM »

Wouldn't be a true sacrifice with the weather recently...now, 6 weeks after that boy howdy!
we'll have plenty of great riding days b/w now and then.  imagine those first 70 degree days and having to dream about your bike while you're serving the chow line at the salvation army

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2016, 04:43:27 PM »

we'll have plenty of great riding days b/w now and then.  imagine those first 70 degree days and having to dream about your bike while you're serving the chow line at the salvation army

Or you could help on a trail build day!
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2016, 04:43:49 PM »
From Pope Francis:
Jesus said to his disciples: “Be careful not to practice your good works before men to be seen by them”… “When you give to the poor do not sound a trumpet before you”… “Your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you”.

The Word of God gives us the right perspective in which to live Lent well. When we do something good, sometimes we are tempted to seek praise and to be rewarded: that’s human glory. But it’s a false reward because it makes us focus on what others think of us.

Jesus asks us to do good for the sake of good. He asks us to feel we are under the watchful gaze of our Heavenly Father at all times and to live in relationship with Him – not in relationship with the opinion of others.

Living in the presence of the Father gives us a much deeper joy than worldly glory can give us. May our attitude this Lent be one of living in secret where the Father sees us, loves us and waits for us. Naturally, exterior things are important too, but we must always choose to live in the presence of God.

Let us do what we can, in prayer, in sacrifice, and in acts of charity, humbly before God. This way we will be worthy of God the Father’s reward.

I wish you a blessed Lent.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2016, 04:48:51 PM »
How are you so capable of ruining everything?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2016, 04:58:07 PM »
great thread kill, edn.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2016, 05:38:44 PM »
People get kinda upset about this I guess.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2016, 06:06:47 AM »
How are you so capable of ruining everything?
be free my shadow

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2016, 06:42:52 AM »
I get the idea of humble acts without publicity, that's great and I don't disagree with Pope Francis that it is a useful exercise.  However there is also utility in the solidarity of a group effort.

In the office pool weight loss challenge, do the participants not really lose weight because they disclosed their sacrifice to others? Is that weight not gone? Those signs on the highway about the groups that clean up those stretches of road, did those people not really give up their free time to clean the road for all of us?  Was the road still actually dirty? I grew up around a ton of Catholics, great people, who would all chat away with each other all lent about how they were struggling with their lent sacrifices did they not create moments of reflection and gratitude.

To each his own, man. 

But if you do something for someone else...and a rough ridin' tree falls in the woods and your brain is really in a jar in a scientist's lab, blah,blah,blah...something was still done for someone else.

For me, I am going to participate in this in my own way, not disclose the precise details, and I will rest assured it is worth while even though I generally disclosed that I am participating.  I am doing this for me, not anyone else.  I mean, I am going to do stuff for others, but it's to help me be less of a rough ridin' bad person and have more peace.  I'm not trying to get rough ridin' voted Jesus here, but me doing this is sure as eff better for the universe than if I don't.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2016, 06:52:33 AM »
I get the idea of humble acts without publicity, that's great and I don't disagree with Pope Francis that it is a useful exercise.  However there is also utility in the solidarity of a group effort.

In the office pool weight loss challenge, do the participants not really lose weight because they disclosed their sacrifice to others? Is that weight not gone? Those signs on the highway about the groups that clean up those stretches of road, did those people not really give up their free time to clean the road for all of us?  Was the road still actually dirty? I grew up around a ton of Catholics, great people, who would all chat away with each other all lent about how they were struggling with their lent sacrifices did they not create moments of reflection and gratitude.

To each his own, man. 

But if you do something for someone else...and a rough ridin' tree falls in the woods and your brain is really in a jar in a scientist's lab, blah,blah,blah...something was still done for someone else.

For me, I am going to participate in this in my own way, not disclose the precise details, and I will rest assured it is worth while even though I generally disclosed that I am participating.  I am doing this for me, not anyone else.  I mean, I am going to do stuff for others, but it's to help me be less of a rough ridin' bad person and have more peace.  I'm not trying to get rough ridin' voted Jesus here, but me doing this is sure as eff better for the universe than if I don't.

It's YOUR journey, just as we are all on our own journeys.  :cheers:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2016, 07:10:41 AM »
Well put, I like that.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2016, 08:40:57 AM »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2016, 09:52:53 AM »

To each his own, man. 

I think you're there 99% of the way, and maybe I'm off on what you're saying too, but you can do something in the community or pool, in a group, or in the public sphere.  But you aren't necessarily doing it for that recognition.  You wouldn't go on your fast or weight loss challenge and talk about it at the water cooler about how great of a "lenter" (wtf does that even mean ednksu?)  you are and you really kick that calorie count's ass, Jesus loves me.  But you could be supportive of someone who is making changes.  Congratulate them when you see them make positive steps.  You wouldn't want to see someone on the side of the road picking up litter in an orange vest that says "#1 lent leader."  But if it spurs you to action and it's something you keep up after, that is a positive act.  Now for me I've come to realize that you don't give up Chocolate bars in lent because it's a great treat and you're totes doing what Jesus did.  Instead you give that up so you can donate that $1.50 ($6-9 total at 1 a week?) to charity so someone else can get a basic meal (7 Dolars in MHK handed out little boxes for Catholic Relief Services for just that).  You recognize that you are giving up something small to spur reflection in my opinion. 

I think the best bible quote on Lent is from Matthew:
Matthew 6:16-18:   And when you fast, be not as the hypocrites, sad. For they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.  But thou, when thou fastest anoint thy head, and wash thy face;  That thou appear not to men to fast, but to thy Father who is in secret: and thy Father who seeth in secret, will repay thee .

Don't wear your sacrifice for sacrifice sake.  As Emo said, it's your journey and it has to be personal to you for your own growth.  If you do it for the recognition from others, it's a doomed process from the start. 

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2016, 12:34:35 PM »

To each his own, man. 

It's YOUR journey, just as we are all on our own journeys.  :cheers:
I grew up with the "you give something up for Lent" to show self-sacrifice.  Recently a friend of mine asked me why I do a certain thing. I told him it was an act of self-denial, which I believe can be good for a person.  Of course, that was scoffed at, but that is one of the quirks of my journey. As an adult I take Lenten sacrifices in two ways. First I deny myself of a few things that I really love. I don't donate that money to charity; I just don't get everything I want. Secondly, I do special things for others. Some of those no one ever knows about, and some of them are shared. I don't share to gloat, but because the act of doing for others brings me joy and some semblance of peace.  Just my two cents on Lent...

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2016, 12:40:12 PM »

To each his own, man. 

you should consider gifting me your hottub

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2016, 05:14:06 PM »

To each his own, man. 

you should consider gifting me your hottub

Ya, no dice, I am not a saint. 

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2023, 11:08:45 AM »
Went to an ash Wednesday service last night. The focus was on Repentance.

We prayed this prayer collectively and I found it meaningful and helpful. Maybe it could be helpful today.
Cheers to those celebrating the season of Lent

Celebrant: Merciful Father: We confess to you and
to one another, that we have sinned by our own fault in
thought, word, and deed; by what we have done, and by
what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our
whole heart, and mind, and strength. We have not loved our
neighbors as ourselves. We have not forgiven others, as we
have been forgiven.
People: Have mercy on us, Lord.
Celebrant: We confess to you, Lord, all our past
unfaithfulness: the pride, hypocrisy, and impatience of our
lives.
People: We confess to you, Lord.
Celebrant: Our self-indulgent appetites and ways, and
our exploitation of other people,
Celebrant: Our anger and frustration, and our envy of
those more fortunate than ourselves,?
Celebrant: Our unrestrained love of worldly goods and
comforts, and our dishonesty in daily life and work,
Celebrant: Our negligence in prayer and worship, and
our failure to share the faith that is in us,
Celebrant: Accept our repentance, Lord, for the
wrongs we have done: for our blindness to human need and
suffering, and our indifference to injustice and cruelty.
People: Accept our repentance, Lord.
Celebrant: For all judgmental and uncharitable
thoughts toward our neighbors, and for our prejudice and
contempt toward those who differ from us,?
Celebrant: For our waste and pollution of your
creation, and our lack of concern for those who come after
us,
Celebrant: Restore us, good Lord, and let your anger
depart from us;
People: Hear us, for your mercy is great.
Celebrant: Accomplish in us the work of your
salvation,
People: That we may show forth your glory in
the world.
Celebrant: By the cross and death of your Son our
Lord,
People: Bring us with all your saints to the joy
of his resurrection.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2023, 09:20:57 AM »
No going out to lunch by myself.  Jason's Deli and its free softserv will have to WAIT.

PBJ-ville USA till Easter.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2023, 09:28:20 AM »
Went to an ash Wednesday service last night. The focus was on Repentance.

We prayed this prayer collectively and I found it meaningful and helpful. Maybe it could be helpful today.
Cheers to those celebrating the season of Lent

Celebrant: Merciful Father: We confess to you and
to one another, that we have sinned by our own fault in
thought, word, and deed; by what we have done, and by
what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our
whole heart, and mind, and strength. We have not loved our
neighbors as ourselves. We have not forgiven others, as we
have been forgiven.
People: Have mercy on us, Lord.
Celebrant: We confess to you, Lord, all our past
unfaithfulness: the pride, hypocrisy, and impatience of our
lives.
Celebrant: Our self-indulgent appetites and ways, and
our exploitation of other people,
Celebrant: Our anger and frustration, and our envy of
those more fortunate than ourselves,?
Celebrant: Our unrestrained love of worldly goods and
comforts, and our dishonesty in daily life and work,
Celebrant: Our negligence in prayer and worship, and
our failure to share the faith that is in us,
Celebrant: Accept our repentance, Lord, for the
wrongs we have done: for our blindness to human need and
suffering, and our indifference to injustice and cruelty.
Celebrant: For all judgmental and uncharitable
thoughts toward our neighbors, and for our prejudice and
contempt toward those who differ from us,?
Celebrant: For our waste and pollution of your
creation, and our lack of concern for those who come after
us,
Celebrant: Restore us, good Lord, and let your anger
depart from us;
People: Hear us, for your mercy is great.
Celebrant: Accomplish in us the work of your
salvation,
People: That we may show forth your glory in
the world.
Celebrant: By the cross and death of your Son our
Lord,
People: Bring us with all your saints to the joy
of his resurrection.

This is a nice prayer.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2023, 10:37:00 AM »
Big supporter of Lent, here. 

Cartier and I hit Long John Silver's on a Friday a few years ago.  Was tremendous. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2023, 10:40:39 AM »
yeah gives great excuse to get some fish.  Where should I go tonight?