Author Topic: Angel is absolutely...  (Read 63191 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Angel is absolutely...
« Reply #525 on: February 26, 2012, 01:19:29 PM »
People need to quit transferring their disappointment of Angel into hate for Sprads.  The critical point people here fail to realize is that Sprads is what he is and for the past few months has not be relied on as a play maker.  Guess what, Frank is treating him like the majority of the team.  Angel has been getting special treatment and has been getting a pass from the usual in game Frankment.  Angel has been doing a terrible job of picking which side of screens to go through and his decisions as a point guard have unequivocally cost us game.  On the flip side the majority of his on ball defense has been good, not even comparable to sprads, and he has won us several games, on the road with his play, when its within the system (mizzou/Baylor).
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 26, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »
Nothing says "free pass" like sitting someone for a conference game when they are perfectly healthy.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #527 on: February 26, 2012, 01:24:09 PM »
People need to quit transferring their disappointment of Angel into hate for Sprads.  The critical point people here fail to realize is that Sprads is what he is and for the past few months has not be relied on as a play maker.  Guess what, Frank is treating him like the majority of the team.  Angel has been getting special treatment and has been getting a pass from the usual in game Frankment.  Angel has been doing a terrible job of picking which side of screens to go through and his decisions as a point guard have unequivocally cost us game.  On the flip side the majority of his on ball defense has been good, not even comparable to sprads, and he has won us several games, on the road with his play, when its within the system (mizzou/Baylor).

Angel gets a pass because the offense completely goes into the garbage when he's not on the floor.

I mean, hey, if we want to completely trash the season to prove points of Angel, whatever, but being that he's the only guard that can create right now, he needs a pass every now and again.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 26, 2012, 01:26:43 PM »
People need to quit transferring their disappointment of Angel into hate for Sprads.

Also, nothing says, "Frank is treating Sprads like everyone else," when he's providing garbage in/garbage out for thirty minutes a game.

If one were to use minutes as the overall indicator of favor, especially in the context of production, Spradling may as well be a toy dog on Martin's lap.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 26, 2012, 01:30:45 PM »

Angel gets a pass because the offense completely goes into the garbage when he's not on the floor.

I mean, hey, if we want to completely trash the season to prove points of Angel, whatever, but being that he's the only guard that can create right now, he needs a pass every now and again.
I agree that right now in the season he makes this team go (good and bad).  Without a doubt he has learned lessons by playing through stuff that other players would learn through Frankment on the bench.  But if he is going to get a pass from Frankment, people need to recognize that he needs critical evaluation still.  He still needs to get better on defense with decision making on screens, Mizzou was great, ISU just horrid.  I just wish #teamangel people realized how good he has it, and that he still needs to get a crap ton better to make this team into its fullest potential this season.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #530 on: February 26, 2012, 01:32:35 PM »
I love the angel gets a pass from frank talking point.

very subtle

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 26, 2012, 01:35:19 PM »

very subtle
not what I said or intended.  Angel gets a pass from the usual frankment that most everyone else faces.  Fair enough?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #532 on: February 26, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »

very subtle
not what I said or intended.  Angel gets a pass from the usual frankment that most everyone else faces.  Fair enough?
I get what you are saying  ;)  ;)  ;)

Offline Als Roommate

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 26, 2012, 01:40:43 PM »
Will needs to play 40 minutes a game.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 26, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »

I agree that right now in the season he makes this team go (good and bad).  Without a doubt he has learned lessons by playing through stuff that other players would learn through Frankment on the bench.  But if he is going to get a pass from Frankment, people need to recognize that he needs critical evaluation still.  He still needs to get better on defense with decision making on screens, Mizzou was great, ISU just horrid.  I just wish #teamangel people realized how good he has it, and that he still needs to get a crap ton better to make this team into its fullest potential this season.

I wish people that gave Angel a hard time realized that if he hadn't stepped up his game to the point where it is right now, and he sat the bench as much as they'd like him to for the purposes of "Franking", we'd probably be something like 6-10 instead of 8-8 and a solid lock for the NIT.

Frank is paid to win basketball games, and the only way he can do that is by putting Angel on the floor and rolling the dice with that decision.  With Jones out, he has no other choice.  Period.  /thread

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 26, 2012, 01:48:20 PM »
also angel doesn't make as many mistakes that get you "Franked". Idiots.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 26, 2012, 01:49:38 PM »

I wish people that gave Angel a hard time realized that if he hadn't stepped up his game to the point where it is right now, and he sat the bench as much as they'd like him to for the purposes of "Franking", we'd probably be something like 6-10 instead of 8-8 and a solid lock for the NIT.

Frank is paid to win basketball games, and the only way he can do that is by putting Angel on the floor and rolling the dice with that decision.  With Jones out, he has no other choice.  Period.  /thread
Quote from: EDNKSU
Without a doubt he has learned lessons by playing through stuff that other players would learn through Frankment on the bench.
already noted.  He has learned a lot.  Sometimes I wish Frank wouldn't give our bigs like Diaz the Frankment and would let them learn on the court like he has allowed Angel to do. 

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 26, 2012, 01:56:10 PM »
also angel doesn't make as many mistakes that get you "Franked". Idiots.

No, what mistakes he does make are accentuated by how badly Will is playing, and people who want Spradling to be the next Steve Henson are pounding them into everyone's brain over and over again.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 26, 2012, 02:21:18 PM »
The critical point people here fail to realize is that Sprads is what he is and for the past few months has not be relied on as a play maker.

if spradling is what he is, then he shouldn't play.  i can live with him not being able to score off the bounce like i thought he could.  i can even live with him being so afraid of getting his crap thrown that he catches an open layup off a cut and tosses it back out instead of going up.  but if he can't shoot 3s, then he's not a big 12 starter.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 26, 2012, 02:52:13 PM »
Reading this thread brings up an interesting question. Who has been the most polarizing JYQ@ within the last 10 years or so to goEMAW posters as a whole? What about of all sports? (Probably Queso.) 
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: February 26, 2012, 02:57:11 PM »
A slightly better effort than woeful on the part of Sprads and K-State probably wins yesterday.

But don't blame Sprads, blame Frank for his $hitty recruiting and the fact that Sprads played 29 minutes.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:02:52 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 26, 2012, 05:22:30 PM »
Angel and JO's last few games totally cured any meltdown in me this season. They just make me so happy to be cat fan.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 26, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »
I think this is a talking point completely underused by #teamangel: He is remaking clown shoes into a legit center.  DOB's offensive renascence is directly attributed to Angel looking for him in new ways.  I would say that has also led to a better defensive effort from JO as well. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 26, 2012, 07:09:15 PM »
if spradling is what he is, then he shouldn't play.  i can live with him not being able to score off the bounce like i thought he could.  i can even live with him being so afraid of getting his crap thrown that he catches an open layup off a cut and tosses it back out instead of going up.  but if he can't shoot 3s, then he's not a big 12 starter.

This is where I'm at. He's had 3 good shooting games (aTm, @UT, MU) in Big 12 play. That isn't enough considering the other things he brings to the table.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 26, 2012, 08:52:04 PM »
could not be more #teamangel or more #teamrunspradsoffteamihatehim

also. skinny and ednksu.. there aren't enough facepalms in all the world.. not even close.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 26, 2012, 08:55:07 PM »

also. skinny and ednksu.. there aren't enough facepalms in all the world.. not even close.
I am #TeamJOgel
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 26, 2012, 09:04:21 PM »

I am #TeamJOgel
:thumbs:
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 26, 2012, 11:31:57 PM »

So without Sprads what guards do you expect to play next year?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 26, 2012, 11:37:23 PM »

weird, I really thought that Angel had helped JO improve.  I guess you have some other reason for JO being less shitty on the offensive side?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 27, 2012, 10:07:34 AM »

weird, I really thought that Angel had helped JO improve.  I guess you have some other reason for JO being less shitty on the offensive side?

No question that Angel is creating for JO.  JO isn't completely innocent, he is getting where he should be, but Angel is taking the ball handling and post moves part of it out.  JO is showing very nice hands and great timing, though.  The combo of these two will be a very big reason for any success we have going forward this year as well as next.