Author Topic: here comes 2014 tennis  (Read 46969 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: here comes 2014 tennis
« Reply #375 on: August 31, 2024, 07:52:21 AM »
Not a Madison Keys fan, at all. I won't cheer against her, but I won't shed a tear when she loses, particularly to another American.

Honestly I am not really a fan of most of the American women, even Coco. I don't dislike them, I just don't find them particularly interesting. Taylor being the exception but she isn't great at singles.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 01, 2024, 07:13:51 AM »
Don't know the story here, but this is pretty lol cunty

https://x.com/ivabianconero/status/1830044897711439900

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 01, 2024, 07:35:29 AM »

Yeah I generally like players showing emotion but not cool to direct it at ball kids. At least it LOOKS like the kid took it ok. Also some complaining about people not sitting down!

https://x.com/gabyserrar/status/1829924582905516471

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 02, 2024, 11:38:06 PM »

Yeah I generally like players showing emotion but not cool to direct it at ball kids. At least it LOOKS like the kid took it ok. Also some complaining about people not sitting down!

FWIW she did apologize, said she was upset with her play and not anything the ball girl did

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 03, 2024, 06:01:26 AM »

FWIW she did apologize, said she was upset with her play and not anything the ball girl did

Did she actually apologize to the girl in person or just via her IG story? FWIW, I watched part of the match and knew from watching previous matches she was mad at herself. Still not great and not necessarily obvious to the 15 or 16 year old girl who honestly handled herself pretty well.

Also watching the ball kids at a tournament is pretty cool. They are really good and professional!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 04, 2024, 11:53:59 PM »
Was all excited to see Medvedev and Sinner in person but woof that was not a great match to watch

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 05, 2024, 05:15:34 PM »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 05, 2024, 06:27:12 PM »
Lol. If anyone in the WTA right now has a genetic advantage, it's obviously Sabalenka. Her forehand speed is faster than ALL of the men's.

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 06, 2024, 10:42:13 AM »
Thanks for the tips Mich- and MIR. I had a great weekend at the Open, and the best part was being to get so close to the action on the small side courts. The nosebleed seats at the big stadiums give a weird, video-game like perspective.

Also, on the whole ... tennis fans are a much better-looking group of people than the typical crowds at March madness or any football game.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 06, 2024, 10:54:39 AM »
Thanks for the tips Mich- and MIR. I had a great weekend at the Open, and the best part was being to get so close to the action on the small side courts. The nosebleed seats at the big stadiums give a weird, video-game like perspective.

Also, on the whole ... tennis fans are a much better-looking group of people than the typical crowds at March madness or any football game.

Nice! who did you see?

As far as I'm concerned I can skip matches at Ashe altogether and will only get tickets when they're cheaper than grounds passes. But I might try for late round night sessions again next year despite my stinkers I got this year.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 07, 2024, 04:18:03 PM »
Lol. If anyone in the WTA right now has a genetic advantage, it's obviously Sabalenka. Her forehand speed is faster than ALL of the men's.
Enjoying the crap out of this final. I like Sabalenka even though she is from a craphole country. When the only tool you have is a fifty pound hammer of doom attached to your shoulder, that is a pretty good tool to have.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 07, 2024, 07:56:54 PM »
Enjoying the crap out of this final. I like Sabalenka even though she is from a craphole country. When the only tool you have is a fifty pound hammer of doom attached to your shoulder, that is a pretty good tool to have.

Yeah she's amazing. Bonus for not being a billionaire!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 10, 2024, 05:18:45 PM »

Also watching the ball kids at a tournament is pretty cool. They are really good and professional!

Yes, they're great, always wanted to be one. Sidenote, I've started the process of becoming a USTA official.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 06:05:09 PM by MakeItRain »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 10, 2024, 05:22:03 PM »

lol, right!?! I won't hold her coach's hat against her because it's very possible that she's not attune with the social wars, but you want to talk about a complete lack of awareness from her coach. It's not as bad as it used to be, now that she's seen a glamorous away from the court, but there's still a lot of social media users, who don't watch tennis, that call her a man.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 10, 2024, 06:07:52 PM »

Nice! who did you see?

As far as I'm concerned I can skip matches at Ashe altogether and will only get tickets when they're cheaper than grounds passes. But I might try for late round night sessions again next year despite my stinkers I got this year.

Ashe full, at night, during a great match, might be the best atmosphere in sports, particularly when an American is involved. The crowds during Jimmy Connors's '91 open run, is the reason I became a tennis fan.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 10, 2024, 06:10:32 PM »

Nice! who did you see?

Ashe full, at night, during a great match, might be the best atmosphere in sports, particularly when an American is involved. The crowds during Jimmy Connors's '91 open run, is the reason I became a tennis fan.

The upper deck was so bad for the night I went. (Pegula/Swiatek and Sinner/Meds). Both were weird matches but I'm still not sure I'd do it again unless I somehow was gifted lower level. But I probably will anyway