Author Topic: here comes 2014 tennis  (Read 41339 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: here comes 2014 tennis
« Reply #300 on: September 01, 2023, 07:29:58 PM »
Staying as late as possible tonight

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 01, 2023, 07:33:26 PM »
I bet you are, you ol' horndog.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 01, 2023, 07:37:15 PM »
Lol there are two white boys in their early 20's who are HARDCORE Zhu fans. Very loud in a quiet stadium. It feels forced. Of course, I'll watch ostapenko over almost anyone

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 01, 2023, 07:38:01 PM »
Lots of solo Chinese guys in the crowd too but they aren't making a scene

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 01, 2023, 10:38:31 PM »

Ok I've decided that the people making a scene with over the top stupid cheering are gamblers. Interesting scene!

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 01, 2023, 10:40:09 PM »
Seal is in my current row

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 01, 2023, 11:11:01 PM »
this thread rules

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 01, 2023, 11:45:35 PM »
Seal is the Chipper Jones of tennis

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 05, 2023, 10:48:28 AM »

Ok I've decided that the people making a scene with over the top stupid cheering are gamblers. Interesting scene!

Jesus, of course  :facepalm:

Penko has had an eventful tournament. Were you there for this?
https://twitter.com/TheTennisLetter/status/1698524324313915519

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 05, 2023, 10:58:01 AM »

No, I saw her in 2 doubles and one singles match though. The first doubles match I saw she was yelling at her "box" a lot, really entertaining. It was on one of the smaller courts so there was a while where it was like her, her partner, and their coaches just having a huddle. She was KILLING it Sunday night. I hate that she's playing today at noon. :frown:

Side note there are lots of complaints about selling too many grounds passes and demand just is getting ridiculous. I tried to go see Shelton and Townsend do mixed doubles and I couldn't get in without waiting multiple changeovers, so I bailed and went back to Penko doubles. I would love to go to one of the late night slates at Ashe, but you're looking at like $300 to sit on the last row the rest of the way. I plan to try to get face tickets next year when they go on sale but it might be tough.

Also, the thing with the gamblers I didn't really figure out until I went to the final set of a Louis Armstrong match and there were two Indian guys cheering really loudly for the Russian favorite in the same way as the guys I saw cheering on Zhu - like "come on, believe in yourself, you got this" and they were glued to draftkings on their phones the entire time. What I think happens is people bet on matches and then go to them thinking they can influence them, especially if they're on a smaller court. I could be wrong though, they could just be really into it.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 05, 2023, 11:23:24 AM »
Penko has like 10 unforced errors in the first 3 games, smdh

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 05, 2023, 05:50:54 PM »

No, I saw her in 2 doubles and one singles match though. The first doubles match I saw she was yelling at her "box" a lot, really entertaining. It was on one of the smaller courts so there was a while where it was like her, her partner, and their coaches just having a huddle. She was KILLING it Sunday night. I hate that she's playing today at noon. :frown:

Side note there are lots of complaints about selling too many grounds passes and demand just is getting ridiculous. I tried to go see Shelton and Townsend do mixed doubles and I couldn't get in without waiting multiple changeovers, so I bailed and went back to Penko doubles. I would love to go to one of the late night slates at Ashe, but you're looking at like $300 to sit on the last row the rest of the way. I plan to try to get face tickets next year when they go on sale but it might be tough.

Also, the thing with the gamblers I didn't really figure out until I went to the final set of a Louis Armstrong match and there were two Indian guys cheering really loudly for the Russian favorite in the same way as the guys I saw cheering on Zhu - like "come on, believe in yourself, you got this" and they were glued to draftkings on their phones the entire time. What I think happens is people bet on matches and then go to them thinking they can influence them, especially if they're on a smaller court. I could be wrong though, they could just be really into it.

Getting face for Armstrong the first couple of days is easy. When I went I got them the day before. I know there were some available the week before this year. I checked because I thought about jumping on a flight and just going to NYC for 24-36 hours.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 05, 2023, 07:13:30 PM »

Getting face for Armstrong the first couple of days is easy. When I went I got them the day before. I know there were some available the week before this year. I checked because I thought about jumping on a flight and just going to NYC for 24-36 hours.
It was a lot harder this year if you waited until week of. Also Armstrong only has lower level seats reserved so they're kinda pricy to begin with.

I was watching prices really closely the days leading up to me going and Ticketmaster was releasing face value tickets at Armstrong like an hour before the first match while the day before everything was being resold significantly above face. Same with grounds passes, it was infuriating and criminal.

Next year I think I'm going to get an early Noon Ashe session on Wednesday, a grounds pass for a Thursday or Friday, and a quarters or semis night at Ashe.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 07:27:26 PM by michigancat »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 05, 2023, 08:17:23 PM »

It was a lot harder this year if you waited until week of. Also Armstrong only has lower level seats reserved so they're kinda pricy to begin with.

I was watching prices really closely the days leading up to me going and Ticketmaster was releasing face value tickets at Armstrong like an hour before the first match while the day before everything was being resold significantly above face. Same with grounds passes, it was infuriating and criminal.

Next year I think I'm going to get an early Noon Ashe session on Wednesday, a grounds pass for a Thursday or Friday, and a quarters or semis night at Ashe.
Yeah you're right, I was conflating Ashe with Armstrong. Why would you buy an Armstrong ticket when an Ashe ticket gets you on Armstrong too? Did they change that, can you now not get on Armstrong with an Ashe ticket?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 06, 2023, 06:23:00 AM »
Yeah you're right, I was conflating Ashe with Armstrong. Why would you buy an Armstrong ticket when an Ashe ticket gets you on Armstrong too? Did they change that, can you now not get on Armstrong with an Ashe ticket?

When I was tracking prices, lower level Armstrong was sometimes cheaper than upper deck Ashe and within the ballpark of a grounds pass. So you effectively get a grounds pass with a really good reserved seat if you want to chill out a bit, and on the early days Armstrong and Ashe have very similar lineups. You can also get to your reserved seat pretty quickly.

The day I went and just had a grounds pass, I had to wait in line on the Armstrong concourse for two changeovers before I could actually get to a seat, and there was another time I tried to go and there was a long ass line just to get into the stadium. It was like a one in, one out situation.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 06, 2023, 05:49:59 PM »
I see. You just don't value an Ashe ticket as much and that's fair, the early rounds are almost certainly going to be blowout matches there. The start of that night session on Ashe is rough ridin' amazing though. Last time I was there I watched a set of Federer smash some tomato can then I walked the grounds for a bit. I went back to see the light show then watched a set of Serena before leaving again for satellite courts until 1AM then I promptly drove to West Virginia.

I heard on today's sports business journal that the first week, this year, had over 500,000 spectators for the first time and Labor Day weekend; Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, had over 300,000 fans for the first time. 100,000 people there a day send rough ridin' crazy.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 06, 2023, 06:13:21 PM »
I see. You just don't value an Ashe ticket as much and that's fair, the early rounds are almost certainly going to be blowout matches there. The start of that night session on Ashe is rough ridin' amazing though. Last time I was there I watched a set of Federer smash some tomato can then I walked the grounds for a bit. I went back to see the light show then watched a set of Serena before leaving again for satellite courts until 1AM then I promptly drove to West Virginia.

I heard on today's sports business journal that the first week, this year, had over 500,000 spectators for the first time and Labor Day weekend; Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, had over 300,000 fans for the first time. 100,000 people there a day send rough ridin' crazy.
Yeah Friday was when I couldn't get into Armstrong for Tiafoe or Court 7 for Townsend/Shelton doubles because the crowds really follow the hype. But I still could do this for the 13th ranked woman in the world:

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 08, 2023, 02:01:04 PM »
Caught some of the wheelchair doubles action on ESPN+ after work last night. Amazing athletes.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 09, 2023, 01:17:14 AM »
I went to grad school with Nick Taylor, America's most decorated quad wheelchair player of all time.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 09, 2023, 01:17:48 AM »
Alcaraz got cooked :horrorsurprise:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 09, 2023, 02:30:12 PM »
I thought joker doing that was hilarious

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 09, 2023, 05:07:20 PM »
I did not see Coco absolutely destroying Sabalenka  :surprised:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 09, 2023, 05:19:14 PM »
I thought joker doing that was hilarious

Everything about it from both sides was great. However one thing I'm learning as I follow this more closely Eurotrash tennis fans are the dumbest of the worst.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 09, 2023, 05:19:52 PM »
I did not see Coco absolutely destroying Sabalenka  :surprised:

Absolutely amazing