Author Topic: is there an official doug gottlieb thread?  (Read 67228 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: is there an official doug gottlieb thread?
« Reply #225 on: April 03, 2012, 10:10:55 PM »
Doesn't it piss you off a little that Doug didn't get a chance? I mean Weber was interviewed on Day 1 or 2 of the search and the presser was rushed so he could avoid pressure to talk to Doug.

Yeah, but I'm not "burn it all down" mad. I don't agree with the criteria, but I understand what Currie was doing and I don't think it was a conspiracy to destroy Kansas State basketball.

I don't either, I think it was a conspiracy to get out of town ASAP. What happens after a season or 2 wasn't considered.

This brings up a point that's been bothering me.  It seems that this talking point of all the guerilla warfare minions.  So, if you believe this, why the big hope to make basketball the suck fast so he gets fired?  Why not watch two more good years, let currie ride off into the sunset, then we have a new ad ready to make his own hire if basketball slips.  Seems like a "cut off your nose to spite your face" thing.  I get not liking the hire.  I dont like it.  But the "burn it down" movement is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

you're Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 03, 2012, 10:19:54 PM »
Doesn't it piss you off a little that Doug didn't get a chance? I mean Weber was interviewed on Day 1 or 2 of the search and the presser was rushed so he could avoid pressure to talk to Doug.

Yeah, but I'm not "burn it all down" mad. I don't agree with the criteria, but I understand what Currie was doing and I don't think it was a conspiracy to destroy Kansas State basketball.

I don't either, I think it was a conspiracy to get out of town ASAP. What happens after a season or 2 wasn't considered.

This brings up a point that's been bothering me.  It seems that this talking point of all the guerilla warfare minions.  So, if you believe this, why the big hope to make basketball the suck fast so he gets fired?  Why not watch two more good years, let currie ride off into the sunset, then we have a new ad ready to make his own hire if basketball slips.  Seems like a "cut off your nose to spite your face" thing.  I get not liking the hire.  I dont like it.  But the "burn it down" movement is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

You know the new hire won't be able to run Weber. Weber will have 2 OK years, and I almost guarantee he will be here for at least 6. It will be a long, slow decline to irrelevance.

Depends on the new AD.  Which would be the case either way.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 03, 2012, 10:20:54 PM »

You should probably ban me from this board too then.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »

You know the new hire won't be able to run Weber. Weber will have 2 OK years, and I almost guarantee he will be here for at least 6. It will be a long, slow decline to irrelevance.

Depends on the new AD.  Which would be the case either way.

Eh, I doubt it. I think the decline will be pretty slow - probably on a timeline a year ahead of his tenure at Illinois and with a much lower head start.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2012, 10:24:30 PM »

the funny thing about this is that i almost did.  :lol:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:26:06 PM by rick daris »

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 03, 2012, 11:25:21 PM »

:lol:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 06, 2012, 10:31:14 AM »
Richard Deitsch ?@richarddeitsch

Boy, that escalated quickly.
Expand

Retweet
    Favorite

4m Doug Gottlieb Doug Gottlieb ?@GottliebShow

@richarddeitsch Brick killed a guy!

What could have been....

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 06, 2012, 10:32:06 AM »
This hurts to read.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 30, 2012, 04:37:42 PM »
 :horrorsurprise:

Doug Gottlieb, who has had a radio show at ESPN since 2003, is leaving the network and will accept a job at CBS Sports, sources tell me. His new duties will include announcing college basketball games on CBS and a TV show, among other things. CBS is expected to announced the deal this week.

CBS approached Gottlieb earlier this summer with the goal of hiring him away from ESPN to make him part of their Sports Radio Network and to add him to their NCAA tournament coverage. Gottlieb is expected to start at CBS sometime in September. Sources say part of the reason Gottlieb took the job is to return home – he’ll relocate from Connecticut to Orange, California where he has family.

Looking down the road for Gottlieb, announcing the Final 4 could be in play. Steve Kerr is rumored to have contemplated another NBA front office job earlier this summer, and if he departs next year or in the future, Gottlieb figures to be in the mix to replace him.

The talent drain at ESPN continues. ESPN lost Michelle Beadle and Erin Andrews earlier this summer, to NBC and Fox, respectively. (Last year, ESPN lost veteran Brian Kenny to the MLB Network.) ESPN had to move quickly to find a replacement for Erin Andrews on ESPNU, and selected rising star Samantha Steele. (Heather Cox is still expected to replace Andrews as the sideline reporter for Saturday night games on ABC, but she’s currently in London for the Olympics and details have not been finalized.)

It’s far too early to tell who might replace Doug Gottlieb’s coveted ESPN radio slot (4-7 pm). Will they go for a young up-and-comer or bump up the new “Hill and Schlereth” show? Also, Gottlieb was a valuable replacement for Mike & Mike, Colin Cowherd and Scott Van Pelt, so who does ESPN tab as the top-notch fill-in?

Three other ESPN contracts that are up this year worth keeping an eye on: Ryen Russillo (Scott Van Pelt’s radio wingman), Marcellus Wiley and Dan Shulman, the latter whom we’ve previously written about. Sources say NBC has expressed interest in Russillo.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 30, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »
 :sdeek:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 30, 2012, 04:40:02 PM »
does CBS even broadcast non ncaa tourny games (that people care about)!? what in the eff is CBS sports radio!?

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 30, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »
does CBS even broadcast non ncaa tourny games (that people care about)!? what in the eff is CBS sports radio!?

yes, they have a crap ton on the weekends in jan and feb. did you see he might call the final four games?!

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 30, 2012, 04:52:02 PM »
Gottlieb and Ryan Russiilo are the only two decent things on ESPN radio.  If they lose them both :flush:

Offline OlatheWildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 30, 2012, 05:03:27 PM »
Gottlieb and Ryan Russiilo Colin Cowherd are the only two decent things on ESPN radio.  If they lose them both :flush:
Follow me on Twitter @OlatheWildcat12

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 30, 2012, 06:20:09 PM »
espn radio is rough ridin' unlistenable no matter who the host is.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 30, 2012, 06:25:10 PM »
qft

However, the podcasts are pretty good

Offline bws

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 30, 2012, 07:26:23 PM »
CBS actually purchased some games from espn to broadcast this season..

CBS Sports has reached a deal with ESPN that will allow it to broadcast ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 basketball games.

The multi-year agreement begins with the 2012-2013 college basketball season, CBS announced Monday, although the network did not disclose how many years it will run.

Clark Kellogg and Jim Nantz are the lead college basketball broadcast team for CBS. (AP Photo)
Under the agreement, CBS will broadcast 20 games -- including six from the ACC -- from among the three leagues next season. In later seasons, the number of games will increase to 26, including 12 from the ACC.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball/2012/5/21/3034007/cbs-espn-college-basketball-television-deal-agreement

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
is there an official doug gottlieb thread?
« Reply #242 on: July 30, 2012, 08:31:41 PM »
I like fox sports radio

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 30, 2012, 09:49:49 PM »
CBS actually purchased some games from espn to broadcast this season..

CBS Sports has reached a deal with ESPN that will allow it to broadcast ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 basketball games.

The multi-year agreement begins with the 2012-2013 college basketball season, CBS announced Monday, although the network did not disclose how many years it will run.

Clark Kellogg and Jim Nantz are the lead college basketball broadcast team for CBS. (AP Photo)
Under the agreement, CBS will broadcast 20 games -- including six from the ACC -- from among the three leagues next season. In later seasons, the number of games will increase to 26, including 12 from the ACC.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball/2012/5/21/3034007/cbs-espn-college-basketball-television-deal-agreement

To bad they got rid of G.O.A.T, Gus Johnson.  :shakesfist:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 30, 2012, 11:56:20 PM »
espn is turning into tmz of sports, if networks are dedicated to journalism they will continue to attract talent.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 31, 2012, 12:09:22 AM »
espn is turning into tmz of sports, if networks are dedicated to journalism they will continue to attract talent.

it's nice seeing them experience the roman empire declination syndrome

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 31, 2012, 12:17:40 AM »
qft

However, the podcasts are pretty good

Have you ever noticed on Ivan Maisel's CFB podcast that about every three or four weeks you can hear an audible Beano Cook fart in the background? (This is not a joke.)
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 31, 2012, 12:44:27 AM »

I like fox sports radio

Agreed. Also the former The Sporting News then Yahoo now Rivals radio

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 31, 2012, 09:16:10 AM »
Sorry if Luke'd but oscar PEarl and Seth GReenberg to ESPN.   :surprised:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 31, 2012, 10:21:17 AM »
Sidenote: Marcellus Wiley is fantastic and under/mis-utilized at ESPN imo.