Author Topic: Sonos Speakers  (Read 17764 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Sonos Speakers
« on: December 19, 2011, 05:20:03 PM »
Thinking about getting some of these.  Not a music prick so it doesn't really bother me that much that "it doesn't sound as good as wired speakers maaaaaaan".  Anyone have them? 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Sonos Speakers
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 05:28:31 PM »
man, what a prick.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:34:24 PM »
man, what a prick.

I knew Rusty would be mean.    :embarrassed:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 06:23:08 PM »
expensive.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 06:54:49 PM »
expensive.

Any other wireless suggestions?  I have heard these and they sound pretty good.  Really like the convenience of the app and being able to control each individual speaker. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 07:24:24 PM »
ya my friend has them and likes them.  i just can't get past the price.  i'm not a home theater guy so i don't have any recommendos. i guess if you got the ducats....

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 08:15:07 PM »
expensive.

Any other wireless suggestions?  I have heard these and they sound pretty good.  Really like the convenience of the app and being able to control each individual speaker. 
how would you utilize the controlling of individual speakers?

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 08:15:59 PM »
coincidentally I will be helping a friend set up a stereo system. And I think he's decided to go with sonos. As far as wireless systems go, I guess there really isn't a comparison. So if you don't want to wire your entire house then it may not be a bad idea. And really, when you consider you can do an entire house for like 2 large, its not that bad.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 08:16:50 PM »
expensive.

now that sonos came out with their all in one speaker you can control any speaker through the interface. its pretty sweet.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 06:29:46 AM »
expensive.

now that sonos came out with their all in one speaker you can control any speaker through the interface. its pretty sweet.

Do you know what the bridge is for?  I have looked and I don't quite know if I need it or not.  I thought I had to have it to connect more than one speaker, but Best Buy guy said he didn't think so.

Hopefully they come out with an outdoor one soon. 

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 11:12:53 AM »
expensive.

Do you know what the bridge is for?  I have looked and I don't quite know if I need it or not.  I thought I had to have it to connect more than one speaker, but Best Buy guy said he didn't think so.

i'm pretty sure you need it to create your sonos network. so yeah, you need it if you are gonna be connecting more than one system. are you going with just the speakers or are you going to be integrating existing stereo?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 12:16:29 PM »
expensive.

It is kind of confusing and will probably end up being a disaster for me to set up, but I plan to start off with the Play 5 and Play 3 initially and just stream from iTunes on my computer.  I am pretty sure I can also stream Pandora and XM directly from the speakers when they are hooked to my wireless.  I am not sure I need anything else.  :dunno:  You can buy a dock to stream stuff directly from your phone or iPod, but I will be going straight from the computer anyway.  I am going to try and talk to a non dumbass at best buy before I make any final decisions. 

i'm pretty sure you need it to create your sonos network. so yeah, you need it if you are gonna be connecting more than one system. are you going with just the speakers or are you going to be integrating existing stereo?

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 02:40:09 PM »
quote fail.

its a pretty fool proof system from what i understand. you'll need the bridge, the play 5 and the play 3. set up your speakers wherever you want to and play pandora, sirius, spotify, last.fm, and  whatevs else they allow and start playing. if you already have a sound system set up, it might not be a bad idea to get the Connect or Connect Amp instead a play 5, but thats all up to whatever you want to use. The system i'm setting up for my friend will incorporate multiple play 5's, play 3's, a Connect, a bridge, and maybe a Connect Amp. I think he's also gonna get some iPads for controllers/to have an iPad. it all depends on your set up, but the idea that you can have a proper music set up in any room, and have multiple songs playing throughout your entire house is pretty cool. Apparently you can also program it to start playing certain songs, radio stations, etc.. at a certain time. Could use it in the bedroom as an alarm, or whatever.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »
quote fail.

its a pretty fool proof system from what i understand. you'll need the bridge, the play 5 and the play 3. set up your speakers wherever you want to and play pandora, sirius, spotify, last.fm, and  whatevs else they allow and start playing. if you already have a sound system set up, it might not be a bad idea to get the Connect or Connect Amp instead a play 5, but thats all up to whatever you want to use. The system i'm setting up for my friend will incorporate multiple play 5's, play 3's, a Connect, a bridge, and maybe a Connect Amp. I think he's also gonna get some iPads for controllers/to have an iPad. it all depends on your set up, but the idea that you can have a proper music set up in any room, and have multiple songs playing throughout your entire house is pretty cool. Apparently you can also program it to start playing certain songs, radio stations, etc.. at a certain time. Could use it in the bedroom as an alarm, or whatever.

massive fail.  I couldn't even figure out my question.   :runaway:

I don't have a system at all which is why I like this idea.  I will be able to stream from my computer to the speakers or listen to Pandora or XM from the speakers without a bunch of stuff.  Also love that all I need is my iPhone or iPad and I can control everything.    If I like it I will expand and may need the amp or something else, but right now I am just going to get 2 and see how it works. 

Thanks for the help

Offline bradleigh

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »
Apple airport express and whatever elite speakers you already own or want to plug into it.  It's a thing of beauty especially with air play.
2/8/11 - Never Forget

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 07:10:16 PM »
Lol, I'm pretty sure you mean "mono," and it's singular, even when it's plural.  I'd get stereo quality speakers though, mono is pretty outdated.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »
Just got my Sonos.  Amazingly bad ass.  Exactly what I wanted.  The truly amazing part is how easy they are to set up.  I can barely turn on a computer and I didn't have to kill one person during setup.  Currently jamming to my fav pandora stations that I am controlling with my iPad.   :gocho:

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 11:17:52 PM »
I guess you get like a $100 Amazon gift card if you buy these by tomorrow. Tempting.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 07:25:50 AM »
I guess you get like a $100 Amazon gift card if you buy these by tomorrow. Tempting.

I will probably buy more

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 08:19:50 AM »
I like that song in the commercial.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 09:41:31 AM »

thats a pretty sweet deal.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »
I ordered the sonos mounting kit for the soundbar for $40 on amazon. they sent me 2. anyone need one?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 03:55:19 PM »
also, interesting thing I learned about amazon is that if they send you too much stuff you are allowed to keep it.

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 05:01:58 PM »
If you're streaming internet internet audio, you don't have the ear to appreciate the differences in quality of audio. You're just passing for loud & bass / treble control....

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 05:04:56 PM »
If you're streaming internet internet audio, you don't have the ear to appreciate the differences in quality of audio. You're just passing for loud & bass / treble control....

So you're that guy
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite