Author Topic: K-State DC Thread  (Read 191609 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: K-State DC Thread
« Reply #1175 on: February 08, 2012, 10:48:49 AM »
i know it's fun to be all melt-downy and stuff.   but really?

yes the guy has a funny name but isn't that far superior to Joe Bob coaching LB's and Seiler DE's.

yes i would have preferred a new sexxy DC but we have been reigned to HAyes for awhile now.  no?

Hayes is a qualified and competent coach who was a quality contributor to the staff (it is my understanding that he basically ran the Defense for the Cotton Bowl and did a good job).  Cox seems to have a nice track record and quality experience at a couple different stops.

anyway back to the  :runaway:

I would have preferred a GA promotion by a long shot.

for the meltdowniness of it all???

if so i can appreciate  :thumbsup:

no, for having someone under 50 on the staff. I think it would be better for recruiting, and it isn't like this retread is going to be some x's and o's master or coach-em-up wizard. Why not go with someone young?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: February 08, 2012, 10:56:04 AM »
See you guys in the parking lot.

Amazing post. Says so much while saying so little.  :thumbs:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 08, 2012, 10:57:09 AM »
You guys remember when we wanted Cosh gone?  :lol:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: February 08, 2012, 10:58:56 AM »
You guys remember when we wanted Cosh gone?  :lol:

I think a lot of us knew this would be the end result.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 08, 2012, 11:09:26 AM »
we did.  that doesn't mean the staff did.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 08, 2012, 11:14:44 AM »
Sean must strut around Vanier like a boss these days.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 08, 2012, 11:18:13 AM »
Sean must strut around Vanier like a boss these days.
I bet he gives the newbies, like Cox, a really hard time.  Noogies and whatnot.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: February 08, 2012, 12:00:46 PM »

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: February 08, 2012, 12:02:27 PM »

yes the guy has a funny name but isn't that far superior to Joe Bob coaching LB's and Seiler DE's.
yes i would have preferred a new sexxy DC but we have been reigned to HAyes for awhile now.  no?

Hayes is a qualified and competent coach who was a quality contributor to the staff (it is my understanding that he basically ran the Defense for the Cotton Bowl and did a good job).  Cox seems to have a nice track record and quality experience at a couple different stops.

Would rather have these 2 running the show.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 08, 2012, 12:05:57 PM »
we did.  that doesn't mean the staff did.

I think some of them did. Obviously they have the last few years. Why do you think people left?

FWIW, I don't think Cox is a bad OR good hire. It is what it is. I do like bringing in new thoughts and new ideas and now with Hayes (last year) and Cox we've done that. I'm glad to move away from the Cosh era because I don't think he was great at his job. We'll have to see how Hayes does and he certainly (or Cox) isn't some home run hire to get excited about, but I'm going to give them both the benefit of the doubt at this point. I want to see more of their ideas and concepts in the spring and next fall and more importantly how their defenses perform before I get upset about them.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: February 08, 2012, 12:08:49 PM »
Cox knows how not to handle RG3 now.  Do not discount experience.

Offline The Manhatter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 08, 2012, 12:10:11 PM »

Also let's note that while this is true: "Cox was one of three assistants let go by Huskies head coach Steve Sarkisian following an Alamo Bowl loss that saw his defense allow 67 points and 777 total yards to Baylor..."  Baylor also gave up a tidy sum of yards, and that was with Phil(Lightining Strike) Bennitt at helm. 

one thing is for certain..."expert" posters all dial in with unquestionable knowledge for who a future hall of fame coach should hire.  Given the fact Cox served as "recruiting coordinator" for Michigan State and was hired by the young Sarkisian (most of the young coaching staffs are put together more for recruiting purposes) it's believed in the coaching profession he is a good recruiter.  I don't know that for certain rather applying some logic.  The coaches know who the good recruiters are in their profession.

As for his performance vs. Baylor....

Baylor humiliated some coaches this year believed to be solid defensive coaches

Paul Rhoads - 609 yards and 49 pts
Brent Venables - 616 yards and 45 pts
Gary Patterson - 564 yards and 50 pts
Manny Diaz - 511 yards and 49 pts
Tommy Tuberville - 617 yards and 66 pts

so, basically, everybody on Baylor's schedule got assaulted. Sometimes it is personnel and sometimes it is the game plan...but all defensive coaches have their heads handed to them.

I don't know why the guy was fired. Could be there were some boosters infuriated by the numbers or that Sarkisian feared his own job. That seems to be the way to go nowadays moreso than ever.

Now carry on with the "expertedness" on good hiring practices and I'll hang up and watch another double digit winning season for Snyder next year.
Academics is a stupid word.

Academic schools are synonymous for being rich, powerful and exclusive, three things Kansas State is not.

So when people throw the word "academics" around, that's really what they are referencing.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 08, 2012, 12:12:39 PM »

recruits?  Where we're going we don't need any recruits.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 08, 2012, 12:20:09 PM »
The Baylor "assault" is such a red herring...

2011-12 NCAA FBS Team Total Defense

74.   Kansas St.

75.   Wake Forest   
76.   Toledo   
77.   Minnesota
78.   Auburn   
79.   Bowling Green   
80.   Northwestern   
81.   Washington St.   
82.   Tulane   
83.   Oregon St.   
84.   Colorado St.
85.   Navy
86.   Marshall   
87.   Northern Ill.
88.   Arizona St.
89.   Ole Miss
90.   Tulsa
91.   UCLA
92.   Duke
93.   San Jose St.   

94.   Washington

:lol:

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 08, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 08, 2012, 12:32:49 PM »
Cox was the recruiting coordinator for Michigan State before his stint with St. Louis.  For a LB coach, this isn't a terrible hire.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 08, 2012, 12:40:46 PM »

Also let's note that while this is true: "Cox was one of three assistants let go by Huskies head coach Steve Sarkisian following an Alamo Bowl loss that saw his defense allow 67 points and 777 total yards to Baylor..."  Baylor also gave up a tidy sum of yards, and that was with Phil(Lightining Strike) Bennitt at helm. 

one thing is for certain..."expert" posters all dial in with unquestionable knowledge for who a future hall of fame coach should hire.  Given the fact Cox served as "recruiting coordinator" for Michigan State and was hired by the young Sarkisian (most of the young coaching staffs are put together more for recruiting purposes) it's believed in the coaching profession he is a good recruiter.  I don't know that for certain rather applying some logic.  The coaches know who the good recruiters are in their profession.

As for his performance vs. Baylor....

Baylor humiliated some coaches this year believed to be solid defensive coaches

Paul Rhoads - 609 yards and 49 pts
Brent Venables - 616 yards and 45 pts
Gary Patterson - 564 yards and 50 pts
Manny Diaz - 511 yards and 49 pts
Tommy Tuberville - 617 yards and 66 pts

so, basically, everybody on Baylor's schedule got assaulted. Sometimes it is personnel and sometimes it is the game plan...but all defensive coaches have their heads handed to them.

I don't know why the guy was fired. Could be there were some boosters infuriated by the numbers or that Sarkisian feared his own job. That seems to be the way to go nowadays moreso than ever.

Now carry on with the "expertedness" on good hiring practices and I'll hang up and watch another double digit winning season for Snyder next year.
+1  :thumbsup:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 08, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »
Washington Defense a National Joke

Mike Cox fired because of it.

“I want to thank Nick Holt, Mike Cox, and Jeff Mills for their hard work and dedication throughout the last three years,” Sarkisian said in the statement. “They were instrumental in the leadership and development of countless young men, and they have left our program in a better place.”

Many would disagree, at least in terms of football numbers. Including the bowl game, the Huskies surrendered a record-worst 453.3 yards per game.

http://uwfootball.sportspressnw.com/2011/12/31/huskies-fire-holt-two-other-assistant-coaches/

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 08, 2012, 01:02:20 PM »
recruiting coordinator is just an administrative title.  Not a  reflection of recruiting ability IMO.

Offline The Manhatter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 08, 2012, 01:24:27 PM »
Washington Defense a National Joke

Mike Cox fired because of it.

“I want to thank Nick Holt, Mike Cox, and Jeff Mills for their hard work and dedication throughout the last three years,” Sarkisian said in the statement. “They were instrumental in the leadership and development of countless young men, and they have left our program in a better place.”

Many would disagree, at least in terms of football numbers. Including the bowl game, the Huskies surrendered a record-worst 453.3 yards per game.

http://uwfootball.sportspressnw.com/2011/12/31/huskies-fire-holt-two-other-assistant-coaches/

Your use of font size and bold type most certainly deliver an urgent, poignant message concerning the shortcomings of this hire.  I find the mountains of evidence you have uncovered to be damning to the Cox hire.  Absent of choices I am forced to believe what you say about this coaching hire.  You are the "captain of my soul" in terms of thoughts related to said coaching hire and others. 
Academics is a stupid word.

Academic schools are synonymous for being rich, powerful and exclusive, three things Kansas State is not.

So when people throw the word "academics" around, that's really what they are referencing.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 08, 2012, 01:26:48 PM »
 :popcorn:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 08, 2012, 01:31:43 PM »
Skeet on twitter saying that Arthur Brown was most of the reason that our D looked improved, that it had nothing to do w/ Cosh, and that the DC doesn't really matter as long as you have good players. 

So much going on here....

I mean, no one is going to argue the Arthur and Cosh part, but the last part is interesting.  I thought the GPC mantra was that it is ok to not even try to recruit decent players, to just go get guys other ignore, then coach them up.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 08, 2012, 01:33:11 PM »
The number of yards given up by Cox's defense at Washington really don't say anything about his ability to be a linebackers coach. As long as he never gets promoted to DC, this doesn't really bother me. I'm more disappointed with promoting Hayes than hiring Cox, honestly.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 08, 2012, 01:39:01 PM »
what about when Nick Holt was DC at USC was he bad at coaching then???

because he was also fired from UW

catzacker

« Reply #1199 on: February 08, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »
we'll see how good Cox is at recruiting when he's only allowed to do it on Friday nights during the season.