Author Topic: K-State DC Thread  (Read 188299 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Cosh/Venzy/DC Master Thread
« Reply #550 on: January 18, 2012, 12:39:57 PM »
Dave Sittler @DaveSittler 8m  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open
Source: Venables absolutely not interested in K-State coordinator job.

Dave Sittler @DaveSittler 52m  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open
Seriously doubt if K-State would pay the money it would take to get Venables. Insiders say Jim Leavitt is a more likely hire for Snyder.

Leavitt>Venables anyway.

Who's this Sittler guy?  If he's never "bumped" around with Venzy and Michael Smith back in the day, he knows jackshit about the lure of Venzy being back in the band.  Those two used to go HARD!

sittler is a douchebag reporter from tulsa who hates k-state.

and knows nothing on this topic.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 18, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »
I HATE Tulsa douchebags. :chainsaw:
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 18, 2012, 12:44:27 PM »
Come on K-State!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Cosh/Venzy/DC Master Thread
« Reply #553 on: January 18, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Cosh/Venzy/DC Master Thread
« Reply #554 on: January 18, 2012, 12:46:39 PM »
Quote from: wabash909 link=topic=17874.msg444355#msg444355
we're simply not going to compete in a territory that would attract a top level assistant to join that staff with the potential to vie for the head coaching position.

What if that's exactly what Bill wants?

True.
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: January 18, 2012, 12:46:52 PM »
wow
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 18, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »
It's going to be a musical chair scenario with probably someone like Travis Ochs coming in as a GA.  This is almost a certainty and we all know it.  But it's fun to talk about it.

Is it really fun though SD?  Is it?   :cry:

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 18, 2012, 12:50:02 PM »
Seriously doubt if K-State would pay the money it would take to get Venables. Insiders say Jim Leavitt is a more likely hire for Snyder.

Our pay scale for our assistant staff is apparently the lowest in the Big XII.  At some point this mentality by Snyder is going to have to change.

We're either going to have to get competitive in that respect, or we're simply not going to compete in a territory that would attract a top level assistant to join that staff with the potential to vie for the head coaching position.

Who determines the “budget” for fb salaries?  I’m assuming it’s currie and then bill allocates accordingly?  I mean, we ended up paying ‘te 450K.  Of course that was not originate during Currie’s tenure.  I’m sure john would have vetoed ‘te making that much if Frank wanted him now.  

It has to be in tandem.

I don't buy that the money isn't there.  Currie has elevated the overall athletic budget by close to $7 million annually since he took over.  He's shown the propensity to invest in import things like facilities and improvements that affect the fan experience.  He's smart.  He knows the price to compete for a BCS level program.

If you take that into account, there's actually a high probability that Snyder is setting his own pay scale for his staff.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

catzacker

« Reply #558 on: January 18, 2012, 12:56:56 PM »

Our pay scale for our assistant staff is apparently the lowest in the Big XII.  At some point this mentality by Snyder is going to have to change.

We're either going to have to get competitive in that respect, or we're simply not going to compete in a territory that would attract a top level assistant to join that staff with the potential to vie for the head coaching position.

Who determines the “budget” for fb salaries?  I’m assuming it’s currie and then bill allocates accordingly?  I mean, we ended up paying ‘te 450K.  Of course that was not originate during Currie’s tenure.  I’m sure john would have vetoed ‘te making that much if Frank wanted him now.  

It has to be in tandem.

I don't buy that the money isn't there.  Currie has elevated the overall athletic budget by close to $7 million annually since he took over.  He's shown the propensity to invest in import things like facilities and improvements that affect the fan experience.  He's smart.  He knows the price to compete for a BCS level program.

If you take that into account, there's actually a high probability that Snyder is setting his own pay scale for his staff.

i dunno.  the rumor/fact of john's initial (slap in the face) offer to frank and co. during the summer before the "pay frank" season suggests that currie might be a cheapie.  or maybe he just didn't/doesn't like frank and anya.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 18, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »
What would you expect an AD to offer a dude with like 2 yrs experience as a college HC?  Of course he's going to come in low to start.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 18, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »
Maybe I'm the only one around who doesn't think Venables is the best we can do to replace Snyder when the time comes.   ...sigh...

:frown:

It's possible that we could get better candidates. I don't think it would be easy, though, while this Venzy thing is as easy as it gets and is relatively low risk (because he would at least bring in talent at a higher level than we currently are). Does he bother you personally? Seems like you always don't like him when his name comes up.

Nothing against him personally, I just don't trust his record.  If he goes to Clemson and coaches a great defense there & recruits great there, THEN I'll love hiring Venables as our head coach.  I'm just not convinced he does much of anything at OU.  And the fact he's just about the only coach on Stoops original staff (the only one?) who's never left there after years, and years, and years, plays right into these concerns...

For me, it's the same as really wanting to hire Jankovich or Steve Heson as basketball coach "because he's a KSU guy."  It's selling ourselves short.

I think we can do better than him for our next coach, on his current resume.  Granted, he's not as big a reach as Prince was, but I hope the people running the university now aren't as stupid as the ones who hired Prince.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 18, 2012, 01:07:51 PM »
I want to want Venables as the HC.  It does perplex me, though, that he's never been mentioned as a candidate for any HC openings.  He's been at OU for 13 years, coached some amazing defenses, won some championships.  Yet, he lingers as a coordinator

Just look at guys under Snyder - Leavitt, Stoops, Stoops, Mangino, Bielemma, etc.  All head coaches.  But, not Venables.  

Is he a poor speaker, mildly Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), etc?  What's his deal?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 18, 2012, 01:09:26 PM »
Maybe I'm the only one around who doesn't think Venables is the best we can do to replace Snyder when the time comes.   ...sigh...

It's possible that we could get better candidates. I don't think it would be easy, though, while this Venzy thing is as easy as it gets and is relatively low risk (because he would at least bring in talent at a higher level than we currently are). Does he bother you personally? Seems like you always don't like him when his name comes up.

Nothing against him personally, I just don't trust his record.  If he goes to Clemson and coaches a great defense there & recruits great there, THEN I'll love hiring Venables as our head coach.  I'm just not convinced he does much of anything at OU.  And the fact he's just about the only coach on Stoops original staff (the only one?) who's never left there after years, and years, and years, plays right into these concerns...

For me, it's the same as really wanting to hire Jankovich or Steve Heson as basketball coach "because he's a KSU guy."  It's selling ourselves short.

I think we can do better than him for our next coach, on his current resume.  Granted, he's not as big a reach as Prince was, but I hope the people running the university now aren't as stupid as the ones who hired Prince.

If you don't want Venzy to be our head coach right now, you are stupid. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 18, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »
It's going to be a musical chair scenario with probably someone like Travis Ochs coming in as a GA.  This is almost a certainty and we all know it.  But it's fun to talk about it.

You sound very "in the know" sd. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 18, 2012, 01:18:42 PM »

It has to be in tandem.

I am not ITK on this but I'd bet Bill and Currie collaborate a bit.  Like, Bill gives him the name of his staff and w2hen Currie learns the staff consists of a guy who was managing a Tanners, a guy who got ran out at Maryland and his son Currie decides that the budget doesn't need to be as high as other schools because he is competing with, respectively, Nick & Jakes, no one, Sharon paying for odd jobs around the house.

Why break the bank?  We aren't stupid like ku who thinks if you pay someone like a big time coach they will become one.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 18, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »
Tulsa douchebag quotes unnamed source in Tweet and CBS runs with it:

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/34453272

Offline Jmo

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 18, 2012, 01:21:14 PM »

It has to be in tandem.

i dunno.  the rumor/fact of john's initial (slap in the face) offer to frank and co. during the summer before the "pay frank" season suggests that currie might be a cheapie.  or maybe he just didn't/doesn't like frank and anya.

Currie would be willing to invest more in a football coach.  I have confidence (false hope?) that Currie understands that good assistant coaches in football have a direct correlation to increased future revenue.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 18, 2012, 01:25:35 PM »
I'm really good at finances. I'm like getting a B- in my masters accounting class right now. Let me handle this. Give Venzy the take home money we got from the Cotton Bowl and give him the RA role at Haymaker. Free stay. I'll be here all day for anymore questions?  :gocho:

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 18, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »
One underlying theme seems very obvs to me: I will prob not watch much KSU fb as of some point in the relatively near future.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 18, 2012, 01:34:35 PM »
Dave Sittler @DaveSittler 52m  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open

Our pay scale for our assistant staff is apparently the lowest in the Big XII.  At some point this mentality by Snyder is going to have to change.

Who determines the “budget” for fb salaries?  I’m assuming it’s currie and then bill allocates accordingly?  I mean, we ended up paying ‘te 450K.  Of course that was not originate during Currie’s tenure.  I’m sure john would have vetoed ‘te making that much if Frank wanted him now. 

It has to be in tandem.

I don't buy that the money isn't there.  Currie has elevated the overall athletic budget by close to $7 million annually since he took over.  He's shown the propensity to invest in import things like facilities and improvements that affect the fan experience.  He's smart.  He knows the price to compete for a BCS level program.

he just didn't/doesn't like frank and anya.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: January 18, 2012, 01:35:23 PM »
Who is bringing the "Come home Brent" sign to the game tonight?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #571 on: January 18, 2012, 01:43:42 PM »
Dave Sittler @DaveSittler 8m  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open
Source: Venables absolutely not interested in K-State coordinator job.

Leavitt>Venables anyway.

Who's this Sittler guy?  If he's never "bumped" around with Venzy and Michael Smith back in the day, he knows jackshit about the lure of Venzy being back in the band.  Those two used to go HARD!

sittler is a douchebag reporter from tulsa who hates k-state.

and knows nothing on this topic.

He's also a racist and was busted on Deadspin or something like that.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 18, 2012, 01:48:09 PM »
Who is bringing the "Come home Brent" sign to the game tonight?

the, "Come home Brent, we'll have Asian Hookers and Cocaine waiting for you," sign.

That'll bring him back.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 18, 2012, 01:50:22 PM »

Nothing against him personally, I just don't trust his record.  If he goes to Clemson and coaches a great defense there & recruits great there, THEN I'll love hiring Venables as our head coach.  I'm just not convinced he does much of anything at OU.  And the fact he's just about the only coach on Stoops original staff (the only one?) who's never left there after years, and years, and years, plays right into these concerns...

So you think Stoops just pays him $600k or so just for the hell of it? Also, I am merely suggesting the DC/HCIW thing, not ousting Snyder and make Venables HC. Why couldn't we see how he recruits and run a defense here? You can always back out of the deal if it doesn't work out.

For me, it's the same as really wanting to hire Jankovich or Steve Heson as basketball coach "because he's a KSU guy."  It's selling ourselves short.

Unlike Henson, the only reason Venables would consider the DC/HCIW thing is because he's a KSU guy. He'd be far too good for us otherwise.

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 18, 2012, 01:54:09 PM »

It has to be in tandem.

Yes...and it would make perfect sense for him to sacrifice the success of his program because he won't spend money that is not his.  Great argument here on why our staff is under paid....Old Ballz is simply stingy with other peoples money.  Genius.