Author Topic: K-State DC Thread  (Read 190236 times)

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Cosh gone?
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »
cosh doesn't stick out to me as any worse than any of our other assistants.  
WOW!  Where was that statement last year.  :horrorsurprise:

I've always said that.  Where the eff were you last year?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2011, 02:48:18 PM »
cosh doesn't stick out to me as any worse than any of our other assistants.  
WOW!  Where was that statement last year.  :horrorsurprise:

I've always said that.  Where the eff were you last year?
Guess I didn't see it stated this clearly.  I was to busy watching all the banners flying around; all the while thinking VK's statement about X's & O's without the Jimmys and Joes might have some validity.  :rolleyes:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2011, 02:49:53 PM »
Cosh is a bad d-coordinator.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2011, 02:56:56 PM »
Cosh is a mid-level d-coordinator at most of the teams he's coached.  Not great, but then again, not bad.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2011, 03:16:10 PM »
Jesus Christ.  I can't believe anyone would make the statement that cosh is not a bad DC -  Really?   You can talk about the jimmies & joes all you want, but there were teams like Wyoming & North Dakota State that had better defenses than we did last year.  Are you telling me that KSU can't scrape together better walk on's than Wyoming can recruit?   The success of this years d is placed solely on having better players & cosh had nothing to do with that.  An average D-Cord would have had a statistically better D this year & may have won the OSU game for us.   Even IF this years D didn't cost KSU any games - how long before they do lose one?
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2011, 03:18:08 PM »
Cosh is a mid-level d-coordinator at most of the teams he's coached.  Not great, but then again, not bad.

He is very bad.

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2011, 03:27:28 PM »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2011, 03:51:05 PM »
Jesus Christ.  I can't believe anyone would make the statement that cosh is not a bad DC -  Really?   You can talk about the jimmies & joes all you want, but there were teams like Wyoming & North Dakota State that had better defenses than we did last year.  Are you telling me that KSU can't scrape together better walk on's than Wyoming can recruit?   The success of this years d is placed solely on having better players & cosh had nothing to do with that.  An average D-Cord would have had a statistically better D this year & may have won the OSU game for us.   Even IF this years D didn't cost KSU any games - how long before they do lose one?
I think you're so anxious to see him fail that you can't see he is a middle of the road DC, and not a failure.  The obvious truth is we had a bunch of Prince recuits with very little talent.  That's why most of them that are still here, are sitting on the bench and not getting much playing time.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2011, 04:03:37 PM »
An argument could be made that our defense was bad due in part to the offenses we faced in the Big 12.  What can't be argued though is how we are now in the record books of nearly every team we've faced in the last two seasons.  That's including 270 yards to the North Texas RB.  Dunbar is good, but it was still a Sun Belt team and O-Line.  I would guess Cosh is sub-50th percentile (schemes, coaching, and recruiting), and we should strive for better.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »
Cosh would be a great head coach...

somewhere else

Offline KSUTOMMY

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2011, 04:25:10 PM »
An argument could be made that our defense was bad due in part to the offenses we faced in the Big 12.  What can't be argued though is how we are now in the record books of nearly every team we've faced in the last two seasons.  That's including 270 yards to the North Texas RB.  Dunbar is good, but it was still a Sun Belt team and O-Line.  I would guess Cosh is sub-50th percentile (schemes, coaching, and recruiting), and we should strive for better.

This is an excellent point, last year it was making any and all RBs look like All Americans, this year it's making all the recievers look like Heisman candidates... it's a ridiculous and very stupid argument to say that Cosh is anything but a horrible DC. We have better talent, THAT is the reason we are a better defense.
We are K-State and we love to hire SHlTTY coaches.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2011, 05:59:52 PM »

This is an excellent point, last year it was making any and all RBs look like All Americans, this year it's making all the recievers look like Heisman candidates... it's a ridiculous and very stupid argument to say that Cosh is anything but a horrible DC. We have better talent, THAT is the reason we are a better defense.
Gota having coaching to get the best from talent.  :dunno:

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »

Anyone who believes that Sean Snyder will ever hold a position above special teams coordinator at Kansas State University is such an unbelievable Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) that their death would be the world's gain. 

Prior to this past offseaon, most people were saying that Sean would never have any sort of coaching position at EMAW U, period.

And yet, here we are....

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2011, 09:04:17 PM »
christ, we're 10-2. our defense won us some games and lost us some games this year. every team in the big 12 has had some shitty defensive games this year.

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »
The only reason our defense wasn't last in the NCAA rankings is because our offense controlled most games and limited possessions by our opponents.  I would pop the bubbly if Cosh was gone.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2011, 09:30:34 PM »
The only reason our defense wasn't last in the NCAA rankings is because our offense controlled most games and limited possessions by our opponents.  I would pop the bubbly if Cosh was gone.

Not completely. Points per play gives a better look at how effective your defense is at not giving up points, and K-State was just below average. The average in FBS football was .38 points per play and we gave up .39 and finished #72 nationally. Then you can look at yards per play and K-State finished giving up 5.66 yards per play to finish #75 and the average was 5.48. Average yards given up per rush was 3.95, good for #55 nationally. However, K-State was very good at forcing turnovers, finishing at .031 TOs forced per play, good for #26 nationally.

The defense was still not good, but it did have the ability to make some plays, and it also made some plays when the game was on the line. I agree with the thought that Cosh is an average/below average coordinator at the BCS level.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2011, 09:57:23 PM »

Not completely. Points per play gives a better look at how effective your defense is at not giving up points, and K-State was just below average. The average in FBS football was .38 points per play and we gave up .39 and finished #72 nationally. Then you can look at yards per play and K-State finished giving up 5.66 yards per play to finish #75 and the average was 5.48. Average yards given up per rush was 3.95, good for #55 nationally. However, K-State was very good at forcing turnovers, finishing at .031 TOs forced per play, good for #26 nationally.

The defense was still not good, but it did have the ability to make some plays, and it also made some plays when the game was on the line. I agree with the thought that Cosh is an average/below average coordinator at the BCS level.

/thread

Best of luck to Chris Cosh at Coastal Carolina.  I hope he lands that gig.

Offline purplenutz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2011, 10:20:12 PM »
not crazy about the idea but Dimel would be an ok HC

Gross

This is only gross because he's a dude named Dana.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2011, 12:28:20 AM »
The only reason our defense wasn't last in the NCAA rankings is because our offense controlled most games and limited possessions by our opponents.  I would pop the bubbly if Cosh was gone.

I sure you, Steve Dave, and I are saying the same thing.  He's basically a middle of the road DC... not great and not terrible.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 12:29:55 AM by Katdaddy »

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2011, 06:39:05 AM »
who realistically walks thru the door if cosh leaves? Not going to be mike stoops, not going to be leavitt, not going to be venzy, I mean best case scenario would be vic 2.0 which is still unlikely.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2011, 08:38:31 AM »
who realistically walks thru the door if cosh leaves? Not going to be mike stoops, not going to be leavitt, not going to be venzy, I mean best case scenario would be vic 2.0 which is still unlikely.
There is a Beliema (sp?) 2.0 out there and we sure won't find him with Cosh around

#cc4cchc

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2011, 08:53:58 AM »
I sure you, Steve Dave, and I are saying the same thing.  He's basically a middle of the road DC... not great and not terrible.  :thumbsup:

Definitely, I just like numbers and stuff.

Offline OlatheWildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2011, 09:17:52 AM »
If Cosh doesn't get this position, there'a always a chance he fills up a DC spot for one of the new coaching hires at another school. Illinois is looking for a new DC, apparently found one and is waiting for the bowl season to end to say anything. That's just one position that I know of.
Follow me on Twitter @OlatheWildcat12

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2011, 09:32:44 AM »
christ, we're 10-2. our defense won us some games and lost us some games this year. every team in the big 12 has had some shitty defensive games this year.

Really, our defense only lost us one game.  OU.  That was a debacle. 

Defense won us the Miami, Baylor, Tech games. 

Pretty meh defense, that makes big plays in big moments.  Cosh is pretty average.  Pretty weak recruiter. 

Comparing our numbers to Wyoming and north Dakota ?  Seriously Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  Put those teams in the BIg XII, then compare stats. Jezuscrist. 

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2011, 09:36:24 AM »
Isu got an effing stop when it counted against osu