Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 108458 times)

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #750 on: March 05, 2020, 01:54:30 PM »
Best I can find in my limited time is 2.875 on a 15yr.  Maybe I did the lending tree thing wrong, but it said my best match was 3.625 for 15 years.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 05, 2020, 03:01:22 PM »
Also, calling your current lender and seeing if they'll give you a mod to reduce your rate in lieu of a refi is a great idea. But often lenders either won't/can't do this (mine) or want some absurd doc fee to complete the mod.

My mortgage got sold to some company that I couldn’t get to answer the phone if you gave me a 24 hours to sit on hold.

Mine too. It doesn’t matter as long as you make your payments... until you want to do something like this. But that’s why you refi and move on. My new loan is going to immediately sold, too.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 05, 2020, 03:03:57 PM »
I don’t think I’m eligible for that CU. Checked with a Tulsa one I am eligible for and they gave me 3.375 with an 800+ credit score.

:shakesfist:

you could get a much lower one at most of the national providers even if you can't find a local CU. just enter your info at Lendingtree and you'll get about 5 million offers lower than that almost immediately and then just go with whichever will eat all of the costs.

Just word of warning, the minute you submit your info to LT, you will receive at least two dozen phone calls. Some of them have pretty good deals. Some don’t. Some are pretty damned aggressive and want to argue with you when you tell them you have a better offer. A couple actually told me “that can’t be true” and “you must be missing something” because they all “have the lowest rates.”

It’s a great way to get offers, but it’s like mouth to fire hose.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 05, 2020, 03:04:50 PM »
Best I can find in my limited time is 2.875 on a 15yr.  Maybe I did the lending tree thing wrong, but it said my best match was 3.625 for 15 years.

The stuff on the LT website is not accurate. You gotta actually talk to the lenders.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 05, 2020, 03:19:56 PM »
I don’t think I’m eligible for that CU. Checked with a Tulsa one I am eligible for and they gave me 3.375 with an 800+ credit score.

:shakesfist:

you could get a much lower one at most of the national providers even if you can't find a local CU. just enter your info at Lendingtree and you'll get about 5 million offers lower than that almost immediately and then just go with whichever will eat all of the costs.

Just word of warning, the minute you submit your info to LT, you will receive at least two dozen phone calls. Some of them have pretty good deals. Some don’t. Some are pretty damned aggressive and want to argue with you when you tell them you have a better offer. A couple actually told me “that can’t be true” and “you must be missing something” because they all “have the lowest rates.”

It’s a great way to get offers, but it’s like mouth to fire hose.

Yes, good descriptor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 05, 2020, 03:21:01 PM »

The stuff on the LT website is not accurate. You gotta actually talk to the lenders.

I found another CU I can join at 2.75. I think I’m going to jump that.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 05, 2020, 03:38:37 PM »
I'm Jelly of all this refi talk.

When my gpa died 8 years ago I bought his house from my mom with her as the bank. We just googled the standard 15 yr mortgage rate at the time and plugged it in to an amortization table and shook on it........ 4.25%

I'm meeting her for happy hr tonight and am going to DEMAND to refinance, really turn the screws on her and get the best deal possible. (But not really because she is a sweetheart and the best mother ever) 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 05, 2020, 03:43:26 PM »
I'm Jelly of all this refi talk.

When my gpa died 8 years ago I bought his house from my mom with her as the bank. We just googled the standard 15 yr mortgage rate at the time and plugged it in to an amortization table and shook on it........ 4.25%

I'm meeting her for happy hr tonight and am going to DEMAND to refinance, really turn the screws on her and get the best deal possible. (But not really because she is a sweetheart and the best mother ever)

You could also refinance with a bank and just give her the remaining balance in cash. Seems like you both get a better deal that way.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 05, 2020, 03:44:19 PM »
How do you weight that the first several years of your mortgage are nearly all interest payments, but later it's much more principal? In other words, so I've already paid 5 years on a mortgage, but the principal hasn't dropped much. How do I quantify a break even for that since I'll have to refi at nearly the same principal and now the front half will all be interest again.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 05, 2020, 03:49:50 PM »
How do you weight that the first several years of your mortgage are nearly all interest payments, but later it's much more principal? In other words, so I've already paid 5 years on a mortgage, but the principal hasn't dropped much. How do I quantify a break even for that since I'll have to refi at nearly the same principal and now the front half will all be interest again.

Are you going from a 30 to a 15 (or 7 or something weird)? If you’re just going to roll right into a new 30 at a lower rate you are just going to kick that can 5 more years down the road at a lower min mortgage payment. And I’ve got some bad news for you about how interest and loan terms work....

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 05, 2020, 04:03:21 PM »
Right. It’s called amortization, and it’s not a scam - it’s math. It’s how interest works on a payment schedule. If you refi from 5yrs in on a 30yr loan to a new 30yr, you’re only putting yourself 5 years behind if you only make the new minimum payments. If you keep making your current, higher payment amount, thereby paying off extra principle each month, you’re no worse off and you’ll probably be better off because of the presumably lower interest rate.

But go with a 15yr if you can swing it. Much better rates. Just don’t overextend yourself.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 04:07:03 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 06, 2020, 10:58:50 AM »
Sorry for stupidly thinking out loud. I was thinking about equity in the home if/when I sell it in 5-10 years, but that makes little sense if I invest or bank the monthly savings. Thanks for pointing my dumb ass in the right direction.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 06, 2020, 01:14:39 PM »
10yr Treasury notes hit a record low today. This is amazing.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 06, 2020, 01:42:45 PM »

we've been talking about this on the bitcoin dark web for years bro.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 06, 2020, 03:36:30 PM »

we've been talking about this on the bitcoin dark web for years bro.
:gocho:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: March 17, 2020, 07:02:55 AM »
2.625% now at my credit union. Going to go kick down the door and talk them into dropping mine a quarter at no cost to myself. I have very little leverage in this negotiation folks.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 17, 2020, 08:17:06 AM »
I'm trying to decide if it is more reasonable for me to wait for a school to be built close to my current house and improve property values in the area or buy a new house while money is cheap

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 17, 2020, 08:18:22 AM »
So am I correct to assume my current lender will tell me to gtfo if I ask for a refi with no closing costs, but if I try taking it to a smaller shop they might nibble?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 17, 2020, 08:22:22 AM »
I'm trying to decide if it is more reasonable for me to wait for a school to be built close to my current house and improve property values in the area or buy a new house while money is cheap
I’ve got some really terrible news for you about how schools are funded....

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 17, 2020, 08:22:56 AM »
So am I correct to assume my current lender will tell me to gtfo if I ask for a refi with no closing costs, but if I try taking it to a smaller shop they might nibble?
They will probably do it. Especially if you shop it around.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 24, 2020, 10:53:23 PM »
Just arranged to have all of the windows and doors replaced at our place.  Holy eff....do they make windows and doors out of gold?
@mikec2w

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 24, 2020, 11:34:49 PM »
Just arranged to have all of the windows and doors replaced at our place.  Holy eff....do they make windows and doors out of gold?

One would think.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 25, 2020, 03:15:23 PM »
I can’t remember if there another home improvement thread or if this is the place to post. I spent $150 on damaged kitchen cabinets and am installing them in the garage for garage storage/bench top space. Pretty cheap way to get bench tops with rolling drawers underneath for garage storage/organization. Now just need to find something good to top them with. Lowe’s said they won’t cut their cheap countertops down to length for me because they can’t put a quality cut in them. I told them they are going in my garage on the damaged cabinets I just bought & I don’t care, but they still wouldn’t do it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 03:19:34 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 25, 2020, 03:42:02 PM »
Just buy a cheap ass circular saw and cut it yourself. Protip for cutting laminate - put a length of painters tape down the center of your cut on the laminate side, then flip that bitch over for the cutting so the teeth of the blade enter at the laminate instead of exiting. Will give a nice clean cut without chipping.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 25, 2020, 04:04:57 PM »
I'd find someplace that will break a piece of steel for you and use that.
@mikec2w