Author Topic: Hawaii  (Read 57457 times)

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Hillwalking Hawaii Travel Bate Thread
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2010, 12:38:40 AM »
For Maui goers, is the Road to Hana worth it? Heard it takes a while?

What about luau's? Fun?

I personally thought the Road to Hana was amazing, but I'm also a pretty huge nature/outdoors kind of guy and I also knew most of the best places to stop  thanks to an old high school buddy that lives there now. There is wildlife and plants and such there that are found nowhere else on the planet. It's some pretty spectacular scenery and even if you don't make it up the whole thing (it is definitely long) it's worth checking out a part of the ecosystem that you'd otherwise never get a chance to see.

Also, navigating up the trail is pretty entertaining by itself, especially if you are traveling in a caravan of two or three cars like we were. Nothing like the possibility of watching your buddies go flying off a thousand foot cliff right in front of you to keep it interesting.

looked into, most def doing it. do you think we should set aside a full day? we're planning on leaving at 7 or 8 in the morning for it (from kaanapali).

oh yeah, between getting out there, all the stops you'll want to make, and stoping to eat once or twice, it's definitely an all-day type thing. I know lots of people stay at the Hana hotel and drive back in the morning. You can probably see everything on the paved section which goes pretty far out past Hana and make it back in 6-8 hours or around that.

There is an unpaved "back-side" section that continues on and winds around all over the place that is pretty incredible, the problem is that your rental company most likely lists that road as "unapproved" which means if a truck plows into you around a blind curve or you get stuck you are SOL.

We rented a 4 x 4 and had planned on doing it anyways the whole time. It's definitely worth it if you are careful, you really start feeling like you are out in the jungle. If you are driving a car, or have small children or anything else like that I wouldn't try it though.

Few other things; bring water shoes if you have them, they will come in really handy. There are a bunch of really cool waterfalls along the way (don't pay for the Garden of Eden entry unless you really don't want to walk off the road a little, there are several awesome waterfalls you can climb on/swim in along the way).

Don't worry about the locals riding up your ass, just keep taking it slow and pull over to let them pass. They will seriously be flying down the road, just get out of their way and keep taking it slow.

Turn down your music and just listen to the sounds of nature and whats going on around you. Roll all your windows down. We had a jeep with the top of that was great.

Keep going at least 10 miles or so past Hana. You can check out Charles Lindbergh's grave, the cascading pools, more waterfalls, and of course the black sand beach is a must see. Pretty much just explore as much as you can while keeping in mind you have to drive all the way back, and the road can get dangerous when it gets dark. Any more questions just let me know but you guys will definitely have a good time.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2010, 08:08:31 AM »

What about luau's? Fun?

I personally thought the Road to Hana was amazing, but I'm also a pretty huge nature/outdoors kind of guy and I also knew most of the best places to stop  thanks to an old high school buddy that lives there now. There is wildlife and plants and such there that are found nowhere else on the planet. It's some pretty spectacular scenery and even if you don't make it up the whole thing (it is definitely long) it's worth checking out a part of the ecosystem that you'd otherwise never get a chance to see.

Also, navigating up the trail is pretty entertaining by itself, especially if you are traveling in a caravan of two or three cars like we were. Nothing like the possibility of watching your buddies go flying off a thousand foot cliff right in front of you to keep it interesting.

looked into, most def doing it. do you think we should set aside a full day? we're planning on leaving at 7 or 8 in the morning for it (from kaanapali).

oh yeah, between getting out there, all the stops you'll want to make, and stoping to eat once or twice, it's definitely an all-day type thing. I know lots of people stay at the Hana hotel and drive back in the morning. You can probably see everything on the paved section which goes pretty far out past Hana and make it back in 6-8 hours or around that.

There is an unpaved "back-side" section that continues on and winds around all over the place that is pretty incredible, the problem is that your rental company most likely lists that road as "unapproved" which means if a truck plows into you around a blind curve or you get stuck you are SOL.

We rented a 4 x 4 and had planned on doing it anyways the whole time. It's definitely worth it if you are careful, you really start feeling like you are out in the jungle. If you are driving a car, or have small children or anything else like that I wouldn't try it though.

Few other things; bring water shoes if you have them, they will come in really handy. There are a bunch of really cool waterfalls along the way (don't pay for the Garden of Eden entry unless you really don't want to walk off the road a little, there are several awesome waterfalls you can climb on/swim in along the way).

Don't worry about the locals riding up your ass, just keep taking it slow and pull over to let them pass. They will seriously be flying down the road, just get out of their way and keep taking it slow.

Turn down your music and just listen to the sounds of nature and whats going on around you. Roll all your windows down. We had a jeep with the top of that was great.

Keep going at least 10 miles or so past Hana. You can check out Charles Lindbergh's grave, the cascading pools, more waterfalls, and of course the black sand beach is a must see. Pretty much just explore as much as you can while keeping in mind you have to drive all the way back, and the road can get dangerous when it gets dark. Any more questions just let me know but you guys will definitely have a good time.

amazing info, thanks. any favorite restaurants?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2010, 09:26:08 AM »

What about luau's? Fun?

amazing info, thanks. any favorite restaurants?

I'm trying to remember the name of the place we ate lunch at, it was good but I can't for the life of me remember a name. No chain-type places up there yet; everything is pretty much authentic food cooked by the locals, which is refreshing. The Hotel Hana has a bar-lounge in it that has entertainment after dinner.

I remember we stopped and bought a few fresh coconuts and pineapple from a 89 year old lady (and I mean fresh; she let us pick the ones we wanted right off the plant/tree and chop it up with a machete she was carrying around.) If I ever do it again I'd definitely like to check out the town and some of the stores a little more. If you are going with any women they will love all the little huts to shop in.

I was with a group of climbing/boarding buddies and we were more interested in figuring out how far back we could get ourselves lost in the jungle like a bunch of idiots that we didn't stop in the towns as much as we probably should have.

Oh yeah, and there IS a gas station in Hana now.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2010, 09:25:54 AM »
Update:

Amazing.

Details to come. SD, pm for elite, recent advice for Maui and Oahu.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2010, 09:35:22 AM »
Update:

Amazing.

Yeah, post or PM Maui details and full trip report.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2010, 12:30:17 PM »
sd trip update:  We are now going in May 2011 because we couldn't squeeze it in this year (4 nights Kauai and 4 Maui....and 1 redeye).  Booked our flights but didn't do it in time to get first class on the way back (they all go in, like, one day).  Going OMA/DFW/LA/LIH on the way there, OGG/DFW/OMA on the way back.  Two layovers is gonna suck but at least we get to stretch the legs for an hour in LA.  On kauai we will probably split our nights 2 in Poipu at this place because mrs. dave is fascinated by non-resorts for some reason:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60625-d311853-Reviews-Hideaway_Cove_Poipu_Beach-Poipu_Kauai_Hawaii.html

I would rather stay at the Sheraton on the beach but she's pretty much freaking out about it.  And the last two at the St. Regis on the north shore.  Will probably stay at the Westin in Maui (pending ETP's report) for all four nights there.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:39:43 PM by steve dave »

Offline gowildcatwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2010, 01:18:56 PM »
you all are at much better HIQ than myself, so sorry for the newbie question.  did you all rent cars in maui, or take the shuttle to various resorts, houses, etc?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2010, 01:21:10 PM »
you all are at much better HIQ than myself, so sorry for the newbie question.  did you all rent cars in maui, or take the shuttle to various resorts, houses, etc?

I think you pretty much have to have a rental car on all the islands

Offline gowildcatwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2010, 01:22:17 PM »
thats what i thought, but then benja's post confused me.  heading over in march, on a 763...

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2010, 01:22:47 PM »

Cars are a must. Mr. and Mrs. ETP drove a Sebring convertible. :driving:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2010, 01:26:24 PM »
thats what i thought, but then benja's post confused me.  heading over in march, on a 763...

Also cruising in a 763  :cool:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2010, 01:28:16 PM »
I missed that Hana bit earlier.   :drool: for the trip report.  Also, Benja, where did you climb when you were up there?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2010, 02:29:49 PM »

Sorry for any confusion. I haven't looked through my old posts but you'll definitely want to rent a vehicle once you get there. We rented two jeeps and a car. (All-wheel drive isn't really necessary unless you are planning on some serious off-roading, though).

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »
I missed that Hana bit earlier.   :drool: for the trip report.  Also, Benja, where did you climb when you were up there?

We actually didn't do a lot (at least for me) of climbing. It was more of an "exploring" kind of trip since only one of us had been before, and we had  mostly boarding and scuba type stuff planned.

I've since been back once more (last year), and got some great climbing in. Mostly out at Mokuleia Crag on Oahu, which is huge and a lot of fun. Also found some other really cool places to do a little leisure climbing. There are tons of places to go, it just kind of depends what you are looking for and your experience level. Are you looking for more hiking-type climbs or technical climbs (ropes,etc.)?  Will you be with children/wife/etc.?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2010, 05:50:33 PM »
Update:

Amazing.

I would love to hear your trip report. Did you end up making it out to Hana?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2010, 06:03:07 PM »

We actually didn't do a lot (at least for me) of climbing. It was more of an "exploring" kind of trip since only one of us had been before, and we had  mostly boarding and scuba type stuff planned.

I've since been back once more (last year), and got some great climbing in. Mostly out at Mokuleia Crag on Oahu, which is huge and a lot of fun. Also found some other really cool places to do a little leisure climbing. There are tons of places to go, it just kind of depends what you are looking for and your experience level. Are you looking for more hiking-type climbs or technical climbs (ropes,etc.)?  Will you be with children/wife/etc.?

If/when I go it will be with a a group of family.  A couple of us will separate for a day or so of non-tech stuff but I wouldn't mind doing more technical things if there is a great spot or an opportunity presents itself.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Hillwalking Hawaii Travel Bate Thread (TRAVEL MASTER THREAD)
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2010, 07:32:42 AM »
Just ordered a new carry on.  Got a 22" Travelpro Crew 8 Rollaboard Suiter.  Played with it for awhile at Landmark Luggage and made them an offer of what I could get it online for and they weren't going for it.  I decided I'm never buying anything that doesn't have sealed bearing wheels.  I burned up the wheels on my last bag.  Mrs. dave has a samsonite XSpace which is a 4 wheeler and pretty easy for her to handle but it doesn't seem to be as durable as the travelpro stuff.  Played with a 22" Tumi that was ridic. but was a little pricey.  Hopefully I'm super rich by the time I wear this one out and I'll get one next time.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2010, 03:59:43 PM »
My mom's heading to Kauai this month, steve.  I'll let you know if she has any tips/cool places to visit/insidery info. 

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • Worst Non-KSU grad school KU poster on goEMAW.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2010, 04:36:33 PM »
My mom's heading to Kauai this month, steve.  I'll let you know if she has any tips/cool places to visit/insidery info. 

It's the best island, there are a million things to do.  #1 of them being relax
Message Board Samurai

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2010, 12:21:25 PM »

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/search/cas/kau/?query=w4mm

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2010, 06:01:08 PM »

Oahu's prolly better.

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2010, 08:41:25 PM »

Oahu's prolly better.

Oahu was my least favorite, but everyone is different
Message Board Samurai

Offline JimmySnuka

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2010, 09:11:57 PM »
Just make sure you look me up when you get here. Here's a photo if you need to use it when asking around.

Offline gowildcatwildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2010, 09:30:05 PM »
sd trip update:  We are now going in May 2011 because we couldn't squeeze it in this year (4 nights Kauai and 4 Maui....and 1 redeye).  Booked our flights but didn't do it in time to get first class on the way back (they all go in, like, one day).  Going OMA/DFW/LA/LIH on the way there, OGG/DFW/OMA on the way back.  Two layovers is gonna suck but at least we get to stretch the legs for an hour in LA.  On kauai we will probably split our nights 2 in Poipu at this place because mrs. dave is fascinated by non-resorts for some reason:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60625-d311853-Reviews-Hideaway_Cove_Poipu_Beach-Poipu_Kauai_Hawaii.html

I would rather stay at the Sheraton on the beach but she's pretty much freaking out about it.  And the last two at the St. Regis on the north shore.  Will probably stay at the Westin in Maui (pending ETP's report) for all four nights there.

I just cancelled my reservation at the Westin and rebooked at the Sheraton after some bad threads on flyertalk.  Supposedly, Westin treats you like crap if you are non-plat, and too many kids around the pool.  Have you heard different?

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2010, 09:21:57 AM »

I just cancelled my reservation at the Westin and rebooked at the Sheraton after some bad threads on flyertalk.  Supposedly, Westin treats you like crap if you are non-plat, and too many kids around the pool.  Have you heard different?

The beach in front of the Sheraton is my favorite on the island.  If you stay there in the fall and the winter, the waves break heavy enough that small kids can't go in the water, so it defaults to an adults only beach.  Its beautiful too.  The bluest water.  I love that beach.
Message Board Samurai