Author Topic: Hawaii  (Read 57845 times)

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Hillwalking Hawaii Travel Bate Thread
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »
Hill, need more info on Hawaii.  Lost the last stuff you sent me which was all gold iirc.  Going in Sep/Oct and either doing Oahu/Kauai/Maui or just Oahu/Maui.  9 to 12 days.  Flying American with British Airways miles.  Prolly first class one direction and coach the other.  Need to stay at Hilton/Starwood mostly but would be willing to stay somewhere boutiquey if we do three islands.  Ok, GO!

My advice is to fly first class on the way BACK.  On the way their, you'll be psyched and it won't matter.  On the way back you'll be tired and a the extra comforts will be awesome.

The Hilton in Kauai is in a strange spot...it's this weird inland bay....kind of a shitty location, but a nice facility.  Good spa.    The Poipu area on the south shore is nice.  Close to Waimea canyon and good beaches.

Yeah, the Hilton there blows. That's where we stayed. Should have opted for the Marriott, but such is life. Poipu, as Pete mentioned, is legit. Good eats everywhere, though.

The Hyatt in Poipu is amazing.  The beach there kind of sucks but the facilities and view are incredible. 

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • Worst Non-KSU grad school KU poster on goEMAW.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 08:28:47 AM »
Hill, need more info on Hawaii.  Lost the last stuff you sent me which was all gold iirc.  Going in Sep/Oct and either doing Oahu/Kauai/Maui or just Oahu/Maui.  9 to 12 days.  Flying American with British Airways miles.  Prolly first class one direction and coach the other.  Need to stay at Hilton/Starwood mostly but would be willing to stay somewhere boutiquey if we do three islands.  Ok, GO!

My advice is to fly first class on the way BACK.  On the way their, you'll be psyched and it won't matter.  On the way back you'll be tired and a the extra comforts will be awesome.

The Hilton in Kauai is in a strange spot...it's this weird inland bay....kind of a shitty location, but a nice facility.  Good spa.    The Poipu area on the south shore is nice.  Close to Waimea canyon and good beaches.

Yeah, the Hilton there blows. That's where we stayed. Should have opted for the Marriott, but such is life. Poipu, as Pete mentioned, is legit. Good eats everywhere, though.

The Hyatt in Poipu is amazing.  The beach there kind of sucks but the facilities and view are incredible. 

Head on over to the beach in front of the Sherraton. Its got a steep incline and the waves break big, so there are very few kids.  Its also smaller, so parking is limited which keeps crowds down.  Love it.

If  you go to Kauai, buy this....

If you go to Maui, get this...

But buy them when you are planning, not right before you go
Message Board Samurai

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 08:31:58 AM »
For Maui goers, is the Road to Hana worth it? Heard it takes a while?

What about luau's? Fun?

I've never done the road to hana but we took Kahekili highway around the nw part of the island back to the airport from poipu.  I wouldn't recommend that - was pretty sure someone was going to die.  

Luau's in my experience are pretty meh but that could have just been the ones we went to.  

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 08:32:21 AM »
Tentative schedule (haven't booked anything yet):

Staying at the Hilton Hawaiin Village on Oahu for 4 nights (170,000 Hilton Honor points)
The Westin Resort and Spa in Maui for 5 nights ($450 + 24,000 Starwood points)
Flying first class to Oahu and coach out of Maui for 145,000 British Air miles (would have done first class home too but they have no availability)
Jump from Oahu to Maui for 2 - $125
Budget about $500 for rental cars over the 9 days

Looking at 9 nights (10 counting the red eye home) with flights and car rental for about $1,075 plus food/drink.  Pretty ridic.  Would only have a 1 hour layover in DFW to abuse the first class lounge  :curse:  They had another flight that left at 5AM instead of 8AM but hitting the same connection.  Honestly tried to talk Mrs. dave into taking it instead just to put a hurt on the lounge in Dallas but she didn't go for it.  

Can't do Kauai because it won't fit our schedule.  Sucks because everyone says it's elite.  Would have had to squeeze it in the middle because we can't use our British Airways mileage to fly in or out of Kauai.  Will have to hit it next time.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 08:33:11 AM »
I've never done the road to hana but we took Kahekili highway around the nw part of the island back to the airport from poipu.  I wouldn't recommend that - was pretty sure someone was going to die.  

Was almost positive I was going to kill the wife and I when we were driving along the NE side of Oahu.  Couldn't keep my eyes off the ocean and scenery long enough to stay in my lane. 

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 08:44:10 AM »

What about luau's? Fun?

Luau's in my experience are pretty meh but that could have just been the ones we went to.  

Road to Hana is on Maui, and I would do it.  Buy the guide book I mentioned above.  They lay out trails to take you to hidden water falls, black sand beaches, etc.  Also, the only Luau worth doing is the Old Lahaina Luau.  Its the only really good one.  Worth the scratch.
Message Board Samurai

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 08:44:24 AM »
Hill, need more info on Hawaii.  Lost the last stuff you sent me which was all gold iirc.  Going in Sep/Oct and either doing Oahu/Kauai/Maui or just Oahu/Maui.  9 to 12 days.  Flying American with British Airways miles.  Prolly first class one direction and coach the other.  Need to stay at Hilton/Starwood mostly but would be willing to stay somewhere boutiquey if we do three islands.  Ok, GO!

My advice is to fly first class on the way BACK.  On the way their, you'll be psyched and it won't matter.  On the way back you'll be tired and a the extra comforts will be awesome.

The Hilton in Kauai is in a strange spot...it's this weird inland bay....kind of a shitty location, but a nice facility.  Good spa.    The Poipu area on the south shore is nice.  Close to Waimea canyon and good beaches.

Hilton actually just sold the Hilton Kauai.  I don't think they even have a property on Kauai anymore.  

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 08:53:10 AM »
Hillwalk, you snorkel?  We did the Hanauma Bay (sp?) last time and thought it was amazing.  Doing it again this trip.  Where is the best snorkling in Maui? 

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 10:13:46 AM »
Hillwalk, you snorkel?  We did the Hanauma Bay (sp?) last time and thought it was amazing.  Doing it again this trip.  Where is the best snorkling in Maui? 

The best points to snorkel are on the south side south of Waimea.  You can just swim out from the beach.  Lots of turtles, eels, reef sharks, and every sort of tropical fish you can imagine.  I'll look up the exact beach to go at and post it.
Message Board Samurai

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 10:14:33 AM »

The best points to snorkel are on the south side south of Waimea.  You can just swim out from the beach.  Lots of turtles, eels, reef sharks, and every sort of tropical fish you can imagine.  I'll look up the exact beach to go at and post it.

Awesome

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 02:46:09 PM »
wasn't a big fan of the road to hana.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2010, 03:22:01 PM »
wasn't a big fan of the road to hana.

why not?

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2010, 07:01:26 PM »

Offline Beeper

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2010, 08:06:09 PM »

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 09:35:15 AM »
ETP getting his scuba diving certificate next week to get ready for maui.  :bball:

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2010, 10:40:05 AM »

What about luau's? Fun?

Road to Hana is on Maui, and I would do it.  Buy the guide book I mentioned above.  They lay out trails to take you to hidden water falls, black sand beaches, etc.  Also, the only Luau worth doing is the Old Lahaina Luau.  Its the only really good one.  Worth the scratch.

Just re-read my post.  The Kahekili highway was on the way to the airport from Kaanapali not poipu.  Dumb mistake.   :facepalm:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 11:18:50 AM »

If it is just you and the wife, the beach at the Sheraton Blackrock is good for the combo of snorkeling/general beach and people watching if the wife gets tired of swimming.  Good compromise if your wife in not as enthusiastic about snorkeling as you are.

Turtle Town, south of Wailea is also good but a bit of a swim to the underwater caves where the turtles hang out.  http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/turtle_town_maui.html

If you or your wife is not a great swimmer, try renting a kayak or paddle boat to use as a "base" for resting, bottle of water, etc.  This is the diff between a 10 swim and my wife wanting to turn around or seeing some amazing stuff up close.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 11:20:49 AM »
That looks amazing

:combofan:

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 01:11:25 PM »

If it is just you and the wife, the beach at the Sheraton Blackrock is good for the combo of snorkeling/general beach and people watching if the wife gets tired of swimming.  Good compromise if your wife in not as enthusiastic about snorkeling as you are.

Turtle Town, south of Wailea is also good but a bit of a swim to the underwater caves where the turtles hang out.  http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/turtle_town_maui.html

If you or your wife is not a great swimmer, try renting a kayak or paddle boat to use as a "base" for resting, bottle of water, etc.  This is the diff between a 10 swim and my wife wanting to turn around or seeing some amazing stuff up close.

Outstanding advice. I have snorkeled there but forgot what was in front of it.
Message Board Samurai

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 03:45:45 PM »
Don't know anything about Hawaii, but I just bought a pair of Maui Jim's. 

Freakin' awesome sunglasses.

Highly recommend.
 :thumbsup:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2010, 12:13:04 PM »
http://www.hawaiianair.com/specialoffers/pages/Hawaii-Fall-Travel-Special-Inbound.aspx?pid=A330-special_homepage-pos1_20100602

$330 round trips to HNL and OGG  :surprised:

:surprised:

Mr. and soon to be Mrs. ETP are doing this in two weeks. :surprised:

:cry:

The 'walkings just bought a car this weekend, so no Hawaii this year.  First time in 6 years I won't have gone.  Denver in the fall, just not the same.
Message Board Samurai

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2010, 06:23:17 PM »

What about luau's? Fun?

I personally thought the Road to Hana was amazing, but I'm also a pretty huge nature/outdoors kind of guy and I also knew most of the best places to stop  thanks to an old high school buddy that lives there now. There is wildlife and plants and such there that are found nowhere else on the planet. It's some pretty spectacular scenery and even if you don't make it up the whole thing (it is definitely long) it's worth checking out a part of the ecosystem that you'd otherwise never get a chance to see.

Also, navigating up the trail is pretty entertaining by itself, especially if you are traveling in a caravan of two or three cars like we were. Nothing like the possibility of watching your buddies go flying off a thousand foot cliff right in front of you to keep it interesting.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2010, 10:28:42 PM »

What about luau's? Fun?

I personally thought the Road to Hana was amazing, but I'm also a pretty huge nature/outdoors kind of guy and I also knew most of the best places to stop  thanks to an old high school buddy that lives there now. There is wildlife and plants and such there that are found nowhere else on the planet. It's some pretty spectacular scenery and even if you don't make it up the whole thing (it is definitely long) it's worth checking out a part of the ecosystem that you'd otherwise never get a chance to see.

Also, navigating up the trail is pretty entertaining by itself, especially if you are traveling in a caravan of two or three cars like we were. Nothing like the possibility of watching your buddies go flying off a thousand foot cliff right in front of you to keep it interesting.

looked into, most def doing it. do you think we should set aside a full day? we're planning on leaving at 7 or 8 in the morning for it (from kaanapali).