Author Topic: does playing Arkansas hurt the image of our program  (Read 927593 times)

Offline We Are Better Than You

• Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • KU > K-State
    • View Profile
Re: does playing Arkansas hurt the image of our program
« Reply #3425 on: January 02, 2012, 11:16:28 AM »
Confederate flag defenders are so hilariously transparent.  But they think they have some hook just because flag doesn't have a burning cross on it.

I am thinking we still need to monitor the racists who will be at the game before we commit to kicking this thing off.  Let them play a German team or something if we back out.  The Germans can defend the swastika as "not being racist" and they can all slap each other on the back.

Yes, it's very apparent that Arkansas has no plans to abandon or even temper the Stars & Bars tradition at the Cotton Bowl.  Proactive action needs to be taken.

You pussy's will do anything to avoid the impending asswhippin

When prominent racists die, do you fly your confederate flag at half-mast?

Well I'm sure when Phelps dies, you'll lower all your flags, won't you?
EMAW mods fold like the K-State D-Line...welcome back, Jack!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: January 02, 2012, 11:18:44 AM »
Confederate flag defenders are so hilariously transparent.  But they think they have some hook just because flag doesn't have a burning cross on it.

I am thinking we still need to monitor the racists who will be at the game before we commit to kicking this thing off.  Let them play a German team or something if we back out.  The Germans can defend the swastika as "not being racist" and they can all slap each other on the back.

Yes, it's very apparent that Arkansas has no plans to abandon or even temper the Stars & Bars tradition at the Cotton Bowl.  Proactive action needs to be taken.

You may notice that nobody here is trying to justify the Phelps' existence or come up with a non-disgusting reason for their presence.

• Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • KU > K-State
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: January 02, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »
Confederate flag defenders are so hilariously transparent.  But they think they have some hook just because flag doesn't have a burning cross on it.

I am thinking we still need to monitor the racists who will be at the game before we commit to kicking this thing off.  Let them play a German team or something if we back out.  The Germans can defend the swastika as "not being racist" and they can all slap each other on the back.

Yes, it's very apparent that Arkansas has no plans to abandon or even temper the Stars & Bars tradition at the Cotton Bowl.  Proactive action needs to be taken.

You may notice that nobody here is trying to justify the Phelps' existence or come up with a non-disgusting reason for their presence.

You may notice that nobody here is trying to justify racism's existence or come up with a non-disgusting reason for it's presence.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: January 02, 2012, 11:20:32 AM »
I still don't know why you think the Confederate flag is an over display of racism... You keep avoiding the question...

And I SERIOUSLY doubt you saw 2 Klansmen running around the field... Let's be realistic... But I'd be more concerned about Phelps and his "Klan" making constant slanderous remarks against African Americans, dead GI's, and football players... I mean, if you want to live in a state that condones that kind of behavior, you dig your own grave.

You don't know why the confederate flag is a display of racism?  I mean, I don't even...

You're right, I shouldn't have presumed they were official KKK members.  All we know is that they were Arkansas football fans. 

Really not seeing the correlation to some weirdo who lives in Topeka and runs around the country preaching in his squawk jacket.  I'm not a member of his church/family/cult.  You are a member of a fanbase that celebrates football victories by running out to midfield with a representation of the most shameful period in this country's history.

JFC, the video. http://www.fox16.com/news/story/Arkansas-town-prohibits-confederate-flag/pIM2NN084EuB3Sz8fB-Hag.cspx

Oh. My. Lord. You won't drop the flag from the 1960's game, will you? And you still haven't answered my question... Have you seen a Confederate flag at a Arkansas football game since that specific football game? Let me answer this for you... No! You haven't... Arkansans are not any more racist than Kansas is more terroristic. You can't justify actions of a small town on US HWY 65 anymore than you can of a cult on West 12th Street.

That being said, I'm not even sure that you read the article. "{Flying the} confederate flag is not a racial issue but standing up for southern heritage, the military, and state's rights. There are some of us that are proud of their heritage. My great-grandfather fought under that flag and I’m proud of that fact, and I think it’s a shame. I’m not a history buff, but I don’t think you can find anything in the history books bad about Robert E. Lee.”

That's it. The end. Though it is about perception and being politically correct in this country, the City Council did the right thing, in my opinion. It shouldn't be flown on government property because the flag symbolizes a Confederacy that does not exist anymore. It would be the same if a Northern state flew a Union flag. Freedom of speech bro...

Yeah, I read the article and watched the video and saw a bunch of rednecks trying to justify why it was OK to fly the flag and that anybody against it is just afraid of "offending the blacks."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: January 02, 2012, 11:22:15 AM »
I am thinking we still need to monitor the racists who will be at the game before we commit to kicking this thing off. 

That's illegal too bro... It's called "discrimination"...

Do tell why it's SOOO apparent?

Because you and your klan keep arguing that it was/is OK to fly the flag because of what year it was or because of what it represents to your backwards culture, and not one of you can or wants to assure that the flag won't be flown Friday.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: January 02, 2012, 11:23:24 AM »

You may notice that nobody here is trying to justify racism's existence or come up with a non-disgusting reason for it's presence.

No, I do, when you keep saying the flag is ok because it was 1965 or because of (white) pride in the south.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: January 02, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
Ark fans, what is your home board? tia
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

• Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • KU > K-State
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: January 02, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
I still don't know why you think the Confederate flag is an over display of racism... You keep avoiding the question...

And I SERIOUSLY doubt you saw 2 Klansmen running around the field... Let's be realistic... But I'd be more concerned about Phelps and his "Klan" making constant slanderous remarks against African Americans, dead GI's, and football players... I mean, if you want to live in a state that condones that kind of behavior, you dig your own grave.

You don't know why the confederate flag is a display of racism?  I mean, I don't even...

You're right, I shouldn't have presumed they were official KKK members.  All we know is that they were Arkansas football fans. 

Really not seeing the correlation to some weirdo who lives in Topeka and runs around the country preaching in his squawk jacket.  I'm not a member of his church/family/cult.  You are a member of a fanbase that celebrates football victories by running out to midfield with a representation of the most shameful period in this country's history.

JFC, the video. http://www.fox16.com/news/story/Arkansas-town-prohibits-confederate-flag/pIM2NN084EuB3Sz8fB-Hag.cspx

Oh. My. Lord. You won't drop the flag from the 1960's game, will you? And you still haven't answered my question... Have you seen a Confederate flag at a Arkansas football game since that specific football game? Let me answer this for you... No! You haven't... Arkansans are not any more racist than Kansas is more terroristic. You can't justify actions of a small town on US HWY 65 anymore than you can of a cult on West 12th Street.

That being said, I'm not even sure that you read the article. "{Flying the} confederate flag is not a racial issue but standing up for southern heritage, the military, and state's rights. There are some of us that are proud of their heritage. My great-grandfather fought under that flag and I’m proud of that fact, and I think it’s a shame. I’m not a history buff, but I don’t think you can find anything in the history books bad about Robert E. Lee.”

That's it. The end. Though it is about perception and being politically correct in this country, the City Council did the right thing, in my opinion. It shouldn't be flown on government property because the flag symbolizes a Confederacy that does not exist anymore. It would be the same if a Northern state flew a Union flag. Freedom of speech bro...

Yeah, I read the article and watched the video and saw a bunch of rednecks trying to justify why it was OK to fly the flag and that anybody against it is just afraid of "offending the blacks."

Rednecks indeed... what would you want people to be against it for? Not EVERYBODY thinks the flag is a racist symbol... Just the ignorant ones. To Southerners, and some folks in Marshall, the Confederate flag means something more, as I said above...

I am thinking we still need to monitor the racists who will be at the game before we commit to kicking this thing off. 

That's illegal too bro... It's called "discrimination"...

Do tell why it's SOOO apparent?

Because you and your klan keep arguing that it was/is OK to fly the flag because of what year it was or because of what it represents to your backwards culture, and not one of you can or wants to assure that the flag won't be flown Friday.

No, I NEVER said it was OK to fly a Confederate flag. The problem I have with your argument is that you're trying to correlate 1965 to today... and yet again, for about the 5th time, I ask you, have you seen a Confederate flag flown at any U of A football game??

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: January 02, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »
Nothing says "in your head" more than people who use the handle "We Are Better Than You"

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3434 on: January 02, 2012, 12:30:33 PM »
I live in Arkansas and went to every home game.  It was flown for every home Arkansas game this year, often times higher than the American flag.  I guess we know were their priorities are. :rolleyes:

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: January 02, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »

Every State flies the Union Flag to this day, what with the North winning the war and all...

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: January 02, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »

Rednecks indeed... what would you want people to be against it for? Not EVERYBODY thinks the flag is a racist symbol... Just the ignorant ones. To Southerners, and some folks in Marshall, the Confederate flag means something more, as I said above...

Something more?  Like treason against America and losing a war?  Or fond memories of slavery?
:adios:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: January 02, 2012, 01:27:03 PM »

Something more?  Like treason against America and losing a war?  Or fond memories of slavery?

8manpick, you and the overwhelming majority of America are just ignorant.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: January 02, 2012, 01:46:48 PM »
I live in Arkansas and went to every home game.  It was flown for every home Arkansas game this year, often times higher than the American flag.  I guess we know were their priorities are. :rolleyes:

Call off the game.  This is unconscionable.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: January 02, 2012, 01:51:05 PM »

Trim, you sound like a slaver and a traitor.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: January 02, 2012, 01:55:48 PM »
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: January 02, 2012, 01:56:19 PM »

Something more?  Like treason against America and losing a war?  Or fond memories of slavery?

Yes, it really is a preposterous position to take.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: January 02, 2012, 01:58:40 PM »
Due to recent events, this thread is more relevant than I originally believed. Do you guys think people watching the Cotton Bowl on TV will know which fanbase is waving the confederate flags?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: January 02, 2012, 02:00:59 PM »

Something more?  Like treason against America and losing a war?  Or fond memories of slavery?

Maybe what the Arky / traitor fans are doing is supporting the confederate flag just for the sake of arguing.  You know, like in high school debate where someone has to take the bad side?  It may be like their way of acting out their dream of being lawyers, despite attending a tech school.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: January 02, 2012, 02:02:34 PM »
Due to recent events, this thread is more relevant than I originally believed. Do you guys think people watching the Cotton Bowl on TV will know which fanbase is waving the confederate flags?

I don't think we can take the chance.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: January 02, 2012, 02:03:38 PM »

Maybe what the Arky / traitor fans are doing is supporting the confederate flag just for the sake of arguing.  You know, like in high school debate where someone has to take the bad side?  It may be like their way of acting out their dream of being lawyers, despite attending a tech school.

That would be a good theory but for the fact this has gone beyond hypothetical arguing.  I mean, there they were, on the 50-yard-line waving their symbols of hate seconds after the game ended.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: January 02, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »
I think we can go ahead and close this thread.  We have definitively determined that playing Arkansas will hurt the image of our program on several levels.  Unless ADJC pulls off some serious magic to find a more respectable opponent, we should just focus on how we are going to rebuild our image after the game.

/thread

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: January 02, 2012, 02:25:40 PM »
I think we can go ahead and close this thread.  We have definitively determined that playing Arkansas will hurt the image of our program on several levels.  Unless ADJC pulls off some serious magic to find a more respectable opponent, we should just focus on how we are going to rebuild our image after the game.

/thread

I just twittered the video to ADJC, LHCBS and the Cotton Bowl.  Let's pray they do the right thing.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: January 02, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »
Just saw the video...I now feel sympathy for the Yankee Huskers.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: January 02, 2012, 04:45:55 PM »

Doesn't matter as far as TV goes.  Viewership is going to be very low.  People simply don't like to tune in to games they know will be huge blow outs. If the nation was just a little bit confident that Ark could score, then you would have a valid concern.  However, I hear that there will be a few reruns of Celebrity Chef on, so I think the nation's attention will be elsewhere.

Side note: When I think of the PigAggie players unwrapping their iPod 2's and looking at each other slack-jawed, then back at the iPods in stunned, silent, incomprehension, it cracks me up.  How many do you think have been used as coasters, ashtrays, or a table to roll their cigs on?  I bet a lot.  Can you imagine the commotion in their group of trailers if a player accidentally turned one on.  I mean, my god.....it would be like a recreation of the discovery of fire.