Author Topic: does playing Arkansas hurt the image of our program  (Read 927696 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: does playing Arkansas hurt the image of our program
« Reply #3400 on: January 01, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »
So seriously, is there any way we can cancel this game, or get a new opponent in place?  It's one thing for K-State to have to be associated with general redneck tendencies.  I mean, some people think Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy are funny, but apparently we can expect Arkansas'rs to take to the field with their confederate flags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJBf4EsD8Sk&feature=youtu.be

I really don't want my alma mater participating in a game with this sort of trash.

Offline We Are Better Than You

• Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • KU > K-State
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: January 01, 2012, 09:50:36 PM »
So seriously, is there any way we can cancel this game, or get a new opponent in place?  It's one thing for K-State to have to be associated with general redneck tendencies.  I mean, some people think Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy are funny, but apparently we can expect Arkansas'rs to take to the field with their confederate flags.

I really don't want my alma mater participating in a game with this sort of trash.

I LOVE that you use something  from 1965... Brilliance... shear brilliance... from a state that was nicknamed Bloody Kansas because of slave ownership during the Civil War... and you want to talk about us waving Confederate flags in the 1960's?? Are you kidding me? You guys are REALLY good with the whole black pot and black kettle thing... Good lord!! :facepalm:
EMAW mods fold like the K-State D-Line...welcome back, Jack!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: January 01, 2012, 09:53:54 PM »

I say no.  We decline the game and avoid the potential to be lumped in with this.  Then, we petition the NCAA to force the winner of the Bama v. LSU game to play us for the real national title.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: January 01, 2012, 09:58:26 PM »
So seriously, is there any way we can cancel this game, or get a new opponent in place?  It's one thing for K-State to have to be associated with general redneck tendencies.  I mean, some people think Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy are funny, but apparently we can expect Arkansas'rs to take to the field with their confederate flags.

I LOVE that you use something  from 1965... Brilliance... shear brilliance... from a state that was nicknamed Bloody Kansas because of slave ownership during the Civil War... and you want to talk about us waving Confederate flags in the 1960's?? Are you kidding me? You guys are REALLY good with the whole black pot and black kettle thing... Good lord!! :facepalm:

That was taken from yesterday's tv show previewing the cotton bowl with reports on the history of both teams.  Arkansas' history featured celebrating with confederate flags.  K-State's had celebrating with OBz making jokes with Knoxy.  

Waving confederate flags stopped being OK in the 1860s.

What is being done to ensure that you racists won't be waving the flags on Friday?  Unless proper precautions are in place, I'm sending an e-mail to Currie tonight to make sure Arkansas fans are barred from the game, if we even still have to play you at all.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: January 01, 2012, 10:00:41 PM »
So seriously, is there any way we can cancel this game, or get a new opponent in place?  It's one thing for K-State to have to be associated with general redneck tendencies.  I mean, some people think Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy are funny, but apparently we can expect Arkansas'rs to take to the field with their confederate flags.

I LOVE that you use something  from 1965... Brilliance... shear brilliance... from a state that was nicknamed Bloody Kansas because of slave ownership during the Civil War... and you want to talk about us waving Confederate flags in the 1960's?? Are you kidding me? You guys are REALLY good with the whole black pot and black kettle thing... Good lord!! :facepalm:

That was taken from yesterday's tv show previewing the cotton bowl with reports on the history of both teams.  Arkansas' history featured celebrating with confederate flags.  K-State's had celebrating with OBz making jokes with Knoxy.  

What is being done to ensure that you racists won't be waving the flags on Friday?  Unless proper precautions are in place, I'm sending an e-mail to Currie tonight to make sure Arkansas fans are barred from the game, if we even still have to play you at all.

Currie/Snyder won't play the game unless they are assured that the racist arkansas fans are restrained.  They are champions for equal rights.  Always have been.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3405 on: January 01, 2012, 10:15:31 PM »
Currie/Snyder won't play the game unless they are assured that the racist arkansas fans are restrained.  They are champions for equal rights.  Always have been.

Good.  Now that I think about it, we shouldn't play in this bowl even if a replacement opponent can be found.  Why help line the pockets of Grand Wizard Jerry Jones?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:37:06 AM by Trim »

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: January 01, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »
Did anyone else see JJ scream "God Damn that stupid n-word!" tonight?  Horrifying stuff.  The more we distance ourselves from Arkansas, the better.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: January 01, 2012, 10:59:34 PM »
Did anyone else see JJ scream "God Damn that stupid n-word!" tonight? 

No, and it sounds kind of far-fetched.  I'd like to see this thread continue to be based on facts.  Facts are that Arkansas celebrates their biggest wins by flaunting a symbol of hatred and racism.

• Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • KU > K-State
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: January 01, 2012, 11:15:10 PM »

I say no.  We decline the game and avoid the potential to be lumped in with this.  Then, we petition the NCAA to force the winner of the Bama v. LSU game to play us for the real national title.

BAHAHAHA... Are you kidding me? If you can't beat OU and OSU, you're for sure as hell not going to beat LSU or Bama, the only 2 teams we've lost too...

I LOVE that you use something  from 1965... Brilliance... shear brilliance... from a state that was nicknamed Bloody Kansas because of slave ownership during the Civil War... and you want to talk about us waving Confederate flags in the 1960's?? Are you kidding me? You guys are REALLY good with the whole black pot and black kettle thing... Good lord!! :facepalm:

What is being done to ensure that you racists won't be waving the flags on Friday?  Unless proper precautions are in place, I'm sending an e-mail to Currie tonight to make sure Arkansas fans are barred from the game, if we even still have to play you at all.

Are you kidding me?! Have you seen a Confederate flag waved at an Arkansas game all year long? I don't care when or where you saw the video... IT WAS THE 1960's! Over 50 years ago?! Give me a break!

That was taken from yesterday's tv show previewing the cotton bowl with reports on the history of both teams.  Arkansas' history featured celebrating with confederate flags.  K-State's had celebrating with OBz making jokes with Knoxy. 

What is being done to ensure that you racists won't be waving the flags on Friday?  Unless proper precautions are in place, I'm sending an e-mail to Currie tonight to make sure Arkansas fans are barred from the game, if we even still have to play you at all.

Currie/Snyder won't play the game unless they are assured that the racist arkansas fans are restrained.  They are champions for equal rights.  Always have been.

You realize if they don't play the game, you forfeit, right? And then the nation will call you pussies because your scared of the big bad racists... and then you have no proof that says Arkansas is racist... Because we waive a Confederate flag in a game from the 1960's?

Every last one of you dumbass, ignorant, Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) K-State fans are freakin' unbelievable...  Let me give you guys a newsflash - Racism is EVERYWHERE! It doesn't matter if you live in Kansas or Arkansas. Kansas has a bunch of white supremacists from Westboro... Don't even get me started on that crap... They're an embarrassment to the whole damn country. And the bunch of KSU posters on this crap board are no better. You sit on your mighty thrones judging other people... You're a bunch of racists! You live in Kansas, Westboro is in Topeka, therefore you're a racist... How does that grab you?

Offline ZeroSumGame

• Obsessed with Homosexuality
  • Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
  • EMAW - Every [redacted] a Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: January 01, 2012, 11:29:16 PM »
So, to address the original premise of this thread, whether playing The University of Arkansas in a bowl game diminishes the image of the Kansas State University
football program and their grand aspirations, I'll refer to the Wikipedia page regarding the KSU fottbal program's history that states:

Kansas State's football team officially began play in 1896. The first game recorded in the team's record books is a 14-0 loss to Fort Riley on November 28, 1896.[7] Despite some shining moments in the 1920s and 1930s,

Fortunes changed in 1989, when the athletic department hired LHC Bill Snyder as head coach. Success and high rankings followed, culminating in a #1 national ranking during the 1998 season and a Big 12 Conference championship in 2003. Between the years of 1993 and 2003, Snyder's teams went 109–29–1 and attended eleven straight bowl games. LHC Bill Snyder retired following the 2005 season, and Ron Prince was named the new head coach.

In his first season, Prince guided the Wildcats to the school's first winning record (7–6) in three years and a spot in the inaugural Texas Bowl. Prince's second and third seasons both ended with 5–7 records. With three games left in the 2008 season, it was announced that Prince would not return for the 2009 season.[9] Prince was replaced by former head coach Snyder, who returned to the school for a second stint.

So, KSU went from being the worst program in the NCAA D1, hired a new coach, became competitive in the Big Six, Seven, Eight, whatever, the newly hired coach bailed, they began losing again, retreaded their
old/new coach, and voila', KSU is a D1 powerhouse with prestige and reputation? Hah. Hah hah. Hah hah hah. Bwahh haaaah haaaa haaaaaaaaa.
I have anger issues and I take college football way too seriously.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: January 01, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »
Let me give you guys a newsflash - Racism is EVERYWHERE! It doesn't matter if you live in Kansas or Arkansas. Kansas has a bunch of white supremacists from Westboro... Don't even get me started on that crap... They're an embarrassment to the whole damn country. And the bunch of KSU posters on this crap board are no better. You sit on your mighty thrones judging other people... You're a bunch of racists! You live in Kansas, Westboro is in Topeka, therefore you're a racist... How does that grab you?

Well, when OBz trots the Phelps clan out to midfield to celebrate a big win, I'll be pissed off too.  Hard to imagine that happening.

Of course, until earlier today, it was hard to imagine that a supposed institution of higher learing would celebrate a victory by waving the "bars & stars", but then I saw Arkansas fans doing it on tv.

• Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • KU > K-State
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: January 01, 2012, 11:41:20 PM »
Let me give you guys a newsflash - Racism is EVERYWHERE! It doesn't matter if you live in Kansas or Arkansas. Kansas has a bunch of white supremacists from Westboro... Don't even get me started on that crap... They're an embarrassment to the whole damn country. And the bunch of KSU posters on this crap board are no better. You sit on your mighty thrones judging other people... You're a bunch of racists! You live in Kansas, Westboro is in Topeka, therefore you're a racist... How does that grab you?
Of course, until earlier today, it was hard to imagine that a supposed institution of higher learing would celebrate a victory by waving the "bars & stars", but then I saw Arkansas fans doing it on tv.

1960's... and you're a racist because you're from Kansas

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: January 01, 2012, 11:44:51 PM »

Are you saying that it was OK to flaunt racist symbols in 1965?  Will there be Arkansas fans attending the game that get grandfathered in and will be allowed to wave their flags of hate on the 50-yard line?

You and Al's roommate are everything that's wrong with the world.  As y-l_a's buddy put it last night, you might want to think about leaving.

• Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • KU > K-State
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: January 01, 2012, 11:52:11 PM »

Are you saying that it was OK to flaunt racist symbols in 1965?

Why do you narrow the Confederate flag down to being a symbol of racism? Besides, is it OK for a cult from Topeka, Kansas to come to Arkansas and boycott a fallen soldier's funeral and a deceased Razorback football player?

You're gang still didn't answer my question... Have you EVER, besides the one video, seen a Razorback player, fan, etc., wave a Confederate flag?

...and I'll not be leaving until after the game... I can't let you guys have all the fun, now can I?

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: January 01, 2012, 11:53:10 PM »
Was the dead GI/footballer also a racist?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: January 01, 2012, 11:59:11 PM »

Are you saying that it was OK to flaunt racist symbols in 1965?

Why do you narrow the Confederate flag down to being a symbol of racism? Besides, is it OK for a cult from Topeka, Kansas to come to Arkansas and boycott a fallen soldier's funeral and a deceased Razorback football player?

You're gang still didn't answer my question... Have you EVER, besides the one video, seen a Razorback player, fan, etc., wave a Confederate flag?

...and I'll not be leaving until after the game... I can't let you guys have all the fun, now can I?

Do whatever you want to squawk phelps.

Maybe you think it's ok to put on overt displays of racism a few times before it's a problem, but for me, once is enough.  I watched 8 minutes of Arkansas football history and got to see 2 klansmen running around the field with confederate flags.  I get the picture.

Some fun.

• Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • KU > K-State
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: January 02, 2012, 12:04:36 AM »
Was the dead GI/footballer also a racist?

You're a piece of crap and a disgrace to the world...

And to think that you K-State fans call yourselves better than Arkansans?  :facepalm:

Do whatever you want to squawk phelps.

Maybe you think it's ok to put on overt displays of racism a few times before it's a problem, but for me, once is enough.  I watched 8 minutes of Arkansas football history and got to see 2 klansmen running around the field with confederate flags.  I get the picture.

Some fun.

I still don't know why you think the Confederate flag is an over display of racism... You keep avoiding the question...

And I SERIOUSLY doubt you saw 2 Klansmen running around the field... Let's be realistic... But I'd be more concerned about Phelps and his "Klan" making constant slanderous remarks against African Americans, dead GI's, and football players... I mean, if you want to live in a state that condones that kind of behavior, you dig your own grave.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: January 02, 2012, 12:14:29 AM »
Phelps hates KSU too.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: January 02, 2012, 12:31:05 AM »
I still don't know why you think the Confederate flag is an over display of racism... You keep avoiding the question...

And I SERIOUSLY doubt you saw 2 Klansmen running around the field... Let's be realistic... But I'd be more concerned about Phelps and his "Klan" making constant slanderous remarks against African Americans, dead GI's, and football players... I mean, if you want to live in a state that condones that kind of behavior, you dig your own grave.

You don't know why the confederate flag is a display of racism?  I mean, I don't even...

You're right, I shouldn't have presumed they were official KKK members.  All we know is that they were Arkansas football fans.  

Really not seeing the correlation to some weirdo who lives in Topeka and runs around the country preaching in his squawk jacket.  I'm not a member of his church/family/cult.  You are a member of a fanbase that celebrates football victories by running out to midfield with a representation of the most shameful period in this country's history.

JFC, the video. http://www.fox16.com/news/story/Arkansas-town-prohibits-confederate-flag/pIM2NN084EuB3Sz8fB-Hag.cspx

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: January 02, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »
Confederate flag defenders are so hilariously transparent.  But they think they have some hook just because flag doesn't have a burning cross on it.

I am thinking we still need to monitor the racists who will be at the game before we commit to kicking this thing off.  Let them play a German team or something if we back out.  The Germans can defend the swastika as "not being racist" and they can all slap each other on the back.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3420 on: January 02, 2012, 10:49:49 AM »
Confederate flag defenders are so hilariously transparent.  But they think they have some hook just because flag doesn't have a burning cross on it.

I am thinking we still need to monitor the racists who will be at the game before we commit to kicking this thing off.  Let them play a German team or something if we back out.  The Germans can defend the swastika as "not being racist" and they can all slap each other on the back.

Yes, it's very apparent that Arkansas has no plans to abandon or even temper the Stars & Bars tradition at the Cotton Bowl.  Proactive action needs to be taken.

Offline Malberry Squeezins

• Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • EMAW safehaven for the little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: January 02, 2012, 10:57:06 AM »

Yes, it's very apparent that Arkansas has no plans to abandon or even temper the Stars & Bars tradition at the Cotton Bowl.  Proactive action needs to be taken.

You pussy's will do anything to avoid the impending asswhippin
EMAW, trolls have about as much chancet around here as a pecker gnat buzzin the head of Jackie Chan.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: January 02, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »

again with the whipping stuff...

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: January 02, 2012, 11:09:19 AM »
Confederate flag defenders are so hilariously transparent.  But they think they have some hook just because flag doesn't have a burning cross on it.

I am thinking we still need to monitor the racists who will be at the game before we commit to kicking this thing off.  Let them play a German team or something if we back out.  The Germans can defend the swastika as "not being racist" and they can all slap each other on the back.

Yes, it's very apparent that Arkansas has no plans to abandon or even temper the Stars & Bars tradition at the Cotton Bowl.  Proactive action needs to be taken.

When prominent racists die, do you fly your confederate flag at half-mast?

• Sons of the Soil
  • Combo-Fan
  • KU > K-State
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: January 02, 2012, 11:15:02 AM »

You don't know why the confederate flag is a display of racism?  I mean, I don't even...

You're right, I shouldn't have presumed they were official KKK members.  All we know is that they were Arkansas football fans.  

Really not seeing the correlation to some weirdo who lives in Topeka and runs around the country preaching in his squawk jacket.  I'm not a member of his church/family/cult.  You are a member of a fanbase that celebrates football victories by running out to midfield with a representation of the most shameful period in this country's history.

JFC, the video. http://www.fox16.com/news/story/Arkansas-town-prohibits-confederate-flag/pIM2NN084EuB3Sz8fB-Hag.cspx

Oh. My. Lord. You won't drop the flag from the 1960's game, will you? And you still haven't answered my question... Have you seen a Confederate flag at a Arkansas football game since that specific football game? Let me answer this for you... No! You haven't... Arkansans are not any more racist than Kansas is more terroristic. You can't justify actions of a small town on US HWY 65 anymore than you can of a cult on West 12th Street.

That being said, I'm not even sure that you read the article. "{Flying the} confederate flag is not a racial issue but standing up for southern heritage, the military, and state's rights. There are some of us that are proud of their heritage. My great-grandfather fought under that flag and I’m proud of that fact, and I think it’s a shame. I’m not a history buff, but I don’t think you can find anything in the history books bad about Robert E. Lee.”

That's it. The end. Though it is about perception and being politically correct in this country, the City Council did the right thing, in my opinion. It shouldn't be flown on government property because the flag symbolizes a Confederacy that does not exist anymore. It would be the same if a Northern state flew a Union flag. Freedom of speech bro...

I am thinking we still need to monitor the racists who will be at the game before we commit to kicking this thing off.  

That's illegal too bro... It's called "discrimination"...

Yes, it's very apparent that Arkansas has no plans to abandon or even temper the Stars & Bars tradition at the Cotton Bowl.  Proactive action needs to be taken.

Do tell why it's SOOO apparent?

Confederate flag defenders are so hilariously transparent.  But they think they have some hook just because flag doesn't have a burning cross on it.

I am thinking we still need to monitor the racists who will be at the game before we commit to kicking this thing off.  Let them play a German team or something if we back out.  The Germans can defend the swastika as "not being racist" and they can all slap each other on the back.

:cheers: :drink: