Author Topic: does playing Arkansas hurt the image of our program  (Read 919353 times)

Offline kstater

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Help!
« Reply #2700 on: December 08, 2011, 07:57:53 PM »
Update your word processor dude.  It's been what, 15 years since those features have been a mainstay?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: December 08, 2011, 07:58:47 PM »
I have a page and a half left to go in my thesis and could use a break.

PM, hog friend.

:)

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline gokatgo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: December 08, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »
Learn the language or GTFO of our country

Offline ReadyToTroll

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: does playing Arkansas hurt the image of our program
« Reply #2703 on: December 08, 2011, 07:59:20 PM »
On the original topic, I don't see how playing us hurts your image or is and insult by any means. We are 10-2 and those 2 are in the championship game. You all are 10-2. Ranks 6 and 8. I think the rules screwed us out of the Sugar bowl, and you all got screwed out of it by...I think the Sugar bowl. I just don't see where the question of a tarnish comes from.

Oh it absolutely tarnishes our image. Arkansas got blown out by the #1 and #2 teams. Almost lost to the Old Ms Slave owners and should have lost to ATM and Vandy.

The rules didn't screw Arkansas out of the Sugar Bowl. Arkansas screwed Arkansas out of the Sugar Bowl and never belonged in the BCS. IMO they shouldn't be in the top ten. This team underachieved all year.

Offline SuckmyHog

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: December 08, 2011, 08:00:11 PM »
Ok, here it is, what do  you think?

In December 2008, producers of the film adaptation of the Nickelodeon cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender set off a firestorm of criticism when they announced their casting decisions.  Despite the fact that the television show had a distinctly Asian aesthetic and borrowed many elements from East Asian and Inuit cultures, four white actors had been cast in the lead roles.  Many fans became irate, demanding that the roles be given to Asian American actors because they had always imagined that the characters were racially Asian.  When one of the lead actors dropped out of the project he was replaced with Dev Patel, who is South Indian (as is the film’s director, M. Night Shyamalan).  But fans insisted that the nation his character belonged to were the villains of the series, so now the problem was that three white stars were heroes and the South Asian actor and his people were villains.  The backlash continued in heated online debates and has culminated in a number of protest activities, ranging from letter-writing campaigns and the spread of counter-media to a planned boycott of the upcoming film.  The fan activists who mobilized over the casting decisions for The Last Airbender (TLA) continue to work on issues related to the film, but have also shifted their focus toward discrimination in casting more generally.  In many ways they successfully model a mode of activism that is necessarily multilingual, moving between the languages of fandom, activism, and racial politics as it becomes strategically advantageous.  This case study examines their transition between these roles and some of the difficulties that they face in doing so.

When the news broke that white actors would be playing the starring roles of Aang, Katara, Sokka and Zuko—characters who each represented an entire tribe of people on the show—one of  the first responses was from staff members who had worked on the show.  Under the handle “Aang Ain’t White,” they anonymously created a LiveJournal website and initiated a letter-writing campaign called “Saving the World with Postage.”  The artists encouraged people who were outraged about the casting to write letters to Paramount Pictures, M. Night Shyamalan’s studio, and the producers’ studio.  Although hundreds of fans and non-fans learned about the issue through the site and mailed letters, most were returned to sender unopened.  Soon thereafter, casting for the film was completed and production began with no changes to the cast.

One result of this situation, however, was that like-minded fans had a chance to meet each other in this virtual arena and establish a basis for future conversations.  Two such individuals, known on the site as glockgal and jedifreac, decided to start their own forum that allowed people to do more than write letters.  They created a site called Racebending.com, as well as a Racebending community on LiveJournal.  The name was a playful riff on the notion of “bending” that was an important part of the universe of The Last Airbender.  But the term racebending also articulated their frustration at all of the roles that had been taken from Asian Americans and replaced with White actors, as if race didn’t matter.  They argued that race did matter, given the systemic subjugation and invisibility of Asian Americans and people of color in mainstream media.  The filmmakers seemed to be saying that audiences would only go see movies starring white actors, and as dedicated fans of a fantastical world populated by multiracial, multicultural peoples, they knew that this was not the case.  In this sense, their definition of “racebending” can be seen as more than simply changing the race of a character, but necessarily changing the race of characters of color to white for reasons of marketability.

By the spring of 2009, the Racebending website had grown to include six main contributors, including three based in Los Angeles, one in British Columbia, one in New York, and one in Washington.  Although the website has gone through a few different incarnations, it generally
serves as a place for newcomers to learn about the controversy, discover ways of becoming involved, and be updated on the latest news.  The main contributors to the site, sometimes called Racebenders—despite the fact that they are actually “against racebending”—have initiated dozens of small campaigns and protest activities since the site’s inception.  Some of these have included attending Comic-Con in San Diego armed with pins and flyers to advertise the site and educate individuals about the movement, conducting interviews with academics on the topics of race and media to strengthen their arguments, and coordinating with established Asian American organizations such as the theater group East West Players and the media advocacy group Media Action Network for Asian Americans, as well as the NAACP.

The group has thus far focused on two main goals: the first was to affect casting, which failed, and the second is to affect ticket sales after the summer 2010 release and derail plans for a second and third movie.  However, beyond these goals that are directly connected to The Last Airbender, they have also begun to promote the casting of Asian Americans and other minorities more generally.  The Racebending website lists as their mission:  “We are a coalition and community dedicated to encouraging fair casting practices. As a far-reaching movement of consumers, students, parents, and professionals, we promote just and equal opportunities in the entertainment industry.”  This statement clearly moves beyond TLA itself to advocate for a change in casting practices more broadly.

However, moving the group beyond the immediate goal of casting TLA was somewhat difficult at first.  For instance, when the Philippines were struck with Typhoon Ketsana, one of the main contributors posted on the Livejournal community encouraging individuals to send donations.  While this move was supported by another of the Racebending contributors, others criticized the post.  One person commented, “Good cause, though clearly off topic. I know you're enthusiastic and trying to help, but please don't make a habit of this.”  This first attempt to move from the original cause to other activist causes was clearly not received well, and the original writer promised that he would stay on topic, away from all that “activism and aid stuff.”

Members of the Racebending community have also been difficult to call into action with regard to real life protest activities, such as attending rallies or collecting pen-and-paper signed petitions.  A Racebending leader in New York tried to organize a protest at the TLA casting call for background actors in Philadelphia, but only two people showed up.  Together they held signs and tried to gain visibility, but with the lack of bodies their impact was minimal.  Similarly, the Los Angeles “Street Team” tried to organize a group of Racebenders at Comic-Con in San Diego, but the two leaders ended up doing most of the work by themselves, “full-on yelling into the crowd, handing out flyers and buttons, getting signatures” (darnivorous) with little support from their fellow Racebenders.  Another missed opportunity for on-the-ground activism came when the Media Action Network for Asian Americans (MANAA) organized a protest at Paramount Studios against an offensive scene in their recent film The Goods:  Live Hard, Sell Hard.  MANAA approached Racebending to see if they wanted to use the protest to promote their cause, since Paramount was also the studio producing TLA, but only one member of the Los Angeles Street Team showed up to the protest.  Although enthusiasm for the cause is seemingly boundless in online forums, it has been difficult to get even the most vocal members of the group to put a name to their face and show up for a local event.

Despite this rocky transition to both more politicized issues and on-the-ground activism, the community has nevertheless slowly shifted their orientation.  The group is now much more focused on general casting and racial representation issues.  This could be related to the fact that it is clear that they have lost the battle to change the casting of TLA, so it makes sense to move forward onto current topics.  In addition, the second issue brought to the group may have been easier to accept because it was much more closely related to the casting issue in TLA—a comic book called “The Weapon,” starring an Asian American hero named Tommy Zhou, was being remade into a film, and a white actor had been cast to play him.  The group was immediately very supportive of efforts to protest this casting, and one of the coordinators wrote a letter condemning the decision in the name of Racebending.

Since then, the community has shifted to the majority of new posts being about issues outside the world of TLA, with only infrequent updates on the progress of the film’s promotion or the occasional tidbit of new information from the main contributors.  Current postings on the community include a diverse set of topics, such as reactions to The Princess and the Frog—Disney’s latest feature-length cartoon, starring the first African American “princess”—annoyance at a Chanel show featuring models in yellowface, and frustration at an article about how Hollywood thinks women do not see movies.  These issues are all loosely related to the topic of discrimination in Hollywood, with the group remaining most dedicated to the question of who is allowed to play what role.  For instance, there is one post about whether or not the American actors in Invictus have the right to play South Africans and another about whether or not Johnny Depp is the right actor to play Mexican hero Pancho Villa.  Reactions are mixed, with participants expressing opinions on both sides of the issue.  Despite the diversity of responses and topics covered, Racebending communities continue to provide a way for these important and complicated questions to be asked, and if a resolution is reached, for the community to take action in some form.

Offline ArthurDent42

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: December 08, 2011, 08:01:30 PM »
On the original topic, I don't see how playing us hurts your image or is and insult by any means. We are 10-2 and those 2 are in the championship game. You all are 10-2. Ranks 6 and 8. I think the rules screwed us out of the Sugar bowl, and you all got screwed out of it by...I think the Sugar bowl. I just don't see where the question of a tarnish comes from.

This guy is apparently from Arkansas.  This was filmed a couple of weeks ago.  Need I say more?

Also, you're rough ridin' poor.  PigAggy.
You apparently have a shite sense of humor as well. Here's a little help guy. Its a freebie.

Offline SuckmyHog

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: December 08, 2011, 08:02:06 PM »
That should keep you nerds busy for at least 30 mins.  :bait:

Offline Sliver72

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
  • EMAR..or EPAR...I like the sound of that.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: December 08, 2011, 08:03:41 PM »
I swear to Christ some of you idiots sound like two dung beetles fighting over a ball of crap. rough ridin' stupid.

Offline Cackle

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: December 08, 2011, 08:05:54 PM »
I swear to Christ some of you idiots sound like two dung beetles fighting over a ball of crap. rough ridin' stupid.

:horrorsurprise:

Them's fightin' words!
:bracketmouse: :bracketmouse: :bracketmouse: :bracketmouse: :bracketmouse: :bracketmouse:

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: December 08, 2011, 08:06:13 PM »
Seriously, the last airbender?  Couldn't find enough research about ken & barbie or what?

Offline SuckmyHog

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: December 08, 2011, 08:07:28 PM »
Seriously, the last airbender?  Couldn't find enough research about ken & barbie or what?

Don't judge me! Was it good though???

Offline gokatgo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: December 08, 2011, 08:08:57 PM »
Plagiarism is a crime

http://sites.google.com/site/participatorydemocracyproject/case-studies/racebending

learn the language or go back to where you came from

Offline powercatmiller

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: December 08, 2011, 08:10:58 PM »
Dude you have to indent your paragraphs  :facepalm:

Offline SuckmyHog

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: December 08, 2011, 08:11:08 PM »

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: December 08, 2011, 08:12:39 PM »
Do they grade on a curve down there at The University of Arkansas?  

If so, I think you're looking at an A+ !

Offline ReadyToTroll

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: December 08, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »

Oh it absolutely tarnishes our image. Arkansas got blown out by the #1 and #2 teams. Almost lost to the Old Ms Slave owners and should have lost to ATM and Vandy.

The rules didn't screw Arkansas out of the Sugar Bowl. Arkansas screwed Arkansas out of the Sugar Bowl and never belonged in the BCS. IMO they shouldn't be in the top ten. This team underachieved all year.

And yet we're still ranked higher.

Delusions of grandeur.

it's amazing what happens when espn sucks the conference's dick and cups the balls huh?

Offline ReadyToTroll

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: December 08, 2011, 08:24:56 PM »

Delusions of grandeur.

it's amazing what happens when espn sucks the conference's dick and cups the balls huh?

No, but what is amazing is the collective group of bleeding gashes over here when it comes to the superiority of the SEC. And the only thing you have to fall back on is "the rankings aren't fair, the media isn't fair, blah blah, blah".

While it's true we got blown out, what does that say about that 41 point beatdown AT HOME to OU?

the SEC is top heavy. There's Bama, LSU and everyone else.
the loss to OU was terrible, admittedly. it sucked. but that's ONE big loss. compared to TWO complete dominant losses.
YOU ARE NOT ON PAR WITH LSU AND BAMA!!!

Offline ArthurDent42

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: December 08, 2011, 08:27:21 PM »

Delusions of grandeur.

Not exactly stellar Wildcats...http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2306/kansas-state-wildcats
You did get blown out by OU which then blew out OSU who you also lost to.
I think you all are looking at your program through some very rose-colored glasses.

Offline ArthurDent42

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: December 08, 2011, 08:29:46 PM »
the loss to OU was terrible, admittedly. it sucked. but that's ONE big loss. compared to TWO complete dominant losses.
So how did your team do against them?

Offline ReadyToTroll

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: December 08, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »

Delusions of grandeur.

Not exactly stellar Wildcats...http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2306/kansas-state-wildcats
You did get blown out by OU which then blew out OSU who you also lost to.
I think you all are looking at your program through some very rose-colored glasses.

Did I miss that game?

Offline ReadyToTroll

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: December 08, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »

Delusions of grandeur.

No, but what is amazing is the collective group of bleeding gashes over here when it comes to the superiority of the SEC. And the only thing you have to fall back on is "the rankings aren't fair, the media isn't fair, blah blah, blah".

While it's true we got blown out, what does that say about that 41 point beatdown AT HOME to OU?

WTF are you talking about? Point out one time I've said we're on par with LSU and Bama. But we are the 3rd best team in the SEC this year. We soundly beat fellow Top 10 team South Carolina, which soundly beat ACC Champ Clemson. We did have to come from behind to beat A&M but it took you 4 OTs to beat them. Georgia soundly beat a good GaTech team. There are 5 SEC teams with 10 wins, 4 teams in the Top 10, and you say there's only LSU and Bama. Shows what you know, which is jack crap like all the other KSU fans on here.

Georgia would have beaten Arkansas.
Then there would only be three teams in the top 10.

God it's fun fanning the flames here. I LOVE THIS SITE!!!

Offline ReadyToTroll

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: December 08, 2011, 08:45:35 PM »

Delusions of grandeur.

WTF are you talking about? Point out one time I've said we're on par with LSU and Bama. But we are the 3rd best team in the SEC this year. We soundly beat fellow Top 10 team South Carolina, which soundly beat ACC Champ Clemson. We did have to come from behind to beat A&M but it took you 4 OTs to beat them. Georgia soundly beat a good GaTech team. There are 5 SEC teams with 10 wins, 4 teams in the Top 10, and you say there's only LSU and Bama. Shows what you know, which is jack crap like all the other KSU fans on here.

Georgia would have beaten Arkansas.
Then there would only be three teams in the top 10.

God it's fun fanning the flames here. I LOVE THIS SITE!!!

And KSU would be #1 if it wasn't for OSU, OU, and all the other teams ranked ahead of you. Those damn rankings!  :shakesfist:

At least you've got the trolling down already. You'll fit right in.
:crossfingers:Just hoping to keep it going.... :crossfingers:

Offline ArthurDent42

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: December 08, 2011, 08:55:11 PM »

You did get blown out by OU which then got blown out by OSU who you also lost to.

Did I miss that game?

*Fixed :dunno:

Offline ArthurDent42

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Racism
« Reply #2723 on: December 08, 2011, 09:45:27 PM »
I've seen a large amount of jokes pertaining to racism and Arkansas. I will concede we've had troubles in the past, as well as Detroit, LA, NYC. However, some of you on this forum want to portray Arkansas as some sort of bigot bastion. Both of our states have a within ~50k population difference, and, in those respective populations, Kansas has 5.9% "black" persons and Arkansas has 15.4%. Notice I put black in quotations because, as a sociology major, I do not believe race in itself exists. There is even one member with a signature of a picture of the Little Rock 9 that are now memorialized in bronze on the campus.
Now, I don't get all sore over the jokes and everything, but, given the rampant racism allusions, it seems like a Freudian problem.
I'm not trying to troll, I am genuinely curious with the epidemic fascination with racism on this forum?

Offline Sao

• Sons of the Soil
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: December 08, 2011, 09:46:12 PM »
you pussies suck at the crap talk. Come on over to Hogville or Tigerdroppings and get your ass kicked SEC style.