Author Topic: Bob Strawn hates The Chef, calls them squawks (Bob Strawn Master Thread)  (Read 14154 times)

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
tmcats

Post #7955
manhappiness
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Re: Breakfast In Aggieville   Reply
put it this way, the chef would fit well on mass street and those who frequent the place would as well. the new mhk hilton garden inn has a very nice breakfast that comes with the room. emaw  
This post was edited on 12/1 1:51 PM by tmcats

Posted on 12/1 1:45 PM | IP: Logged

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:27:59 AM by Tortuga »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Bob Strawn hates The Chef, calls them squawks
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 09:50:50 PM »
what on earth....

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 09:51:02 PM »
 :lol:

Tell that hayseed to go to Bob's.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 09:54:34 PM »
it's like he was put here to deliberately try and deny us nice things

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 09:56:01 PM »
i agree that it would fit well on mass st and that the people that frequent it probably would as well. i am taking his comments as a compliment to the chef and those that frequent it until proven otherwise.

Offline kyles

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • A friendly handshake from wavingthewheat.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 10:04:53 PM »
Any school would be lucky to have tmcats as a fan.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 10:09:02 PM »
Any school would be lucky to have tmcats as a fan.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 10:13:27 PM »
need to know the full context here, tia

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 10:16:48 PM »

Offline kyles

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • A friendly handshake from wavingthewheat.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 10:26:36 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 11:27:08 PM »
he comes from iowa.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 11:59:43 PM »
LMFAO. And Manhattan lets this bad person make decisions about what businesses to attract to MHK. JFC. :flush:

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 09:03:37 AM »
need to know the full context here, tia

Views: 1140, Replies: 38   Thread Tools     Rate Thread     Display Options
Previous Topic | Next Topic | Back to Topics

elwood1

Post #1453
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Breakfast In Aggieville   Reply
What is the best place to have breakfast in Aggieville? In the past we have had the scrambled eggs at Kites but I'm thinking I'd like a more substantial menue.....Gotta be able to get bloody Marys though.

Posted on 11/30 9:55 PM | IP: Logged

mywillyispurple

Post #10113
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Wow. Didn't realize Kites even served breakfast, sounds truly awful. lol. Was there a white chowder substance sprinkled in on top? Were you jittery after eating them?

In all honesty try The Chef, which is the best place to go, or Early Edition, a distant second but better than Denny's or IHOP.

Posted on 11/30 10:25 PM | IP: Logged

barnabus15

On full scholarship
Post #1926
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Coco bolo has a great Sunday brunch. Would be a good idea to break it out on Saturday or a smaller version of it.

Posted on 11/30 10:26 PM | IP: Logged

aggiecat

Almost on scholarship
Post #985
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
The Chef, and its not even close.

Posted on 11/30 10:32 PM | IP: Logged

EA-Cat

On the depth chart
Post #2445
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
The Chef fo sho

Posted on 11/30 10:51 PM | IP: Logged

cmac90

Almost on scholarship
Post #272
Marriott Hotel Anytown, USA
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
The Chef... It's not in Aggieville but they do serve booze. Get there early because usually a line. Even if you have to wait a while, order a cocktail and relax. It's well worth the wait.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Posted on 11/30 10:58 PM | IP: Logged

elwood1

Post #1455
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
The breakfast at Kites has always been typical steam table scrambled eggs with biscuits and gravey and bacon. It's about what you would expect but not inedible.
Thanks for the tips.

Posted on 12/1 7:20 AM | IP: Logged

kcdutch

New walk-on to the team
Post #167
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Have two pickled eggs and a pitcher of Budweiser at the Lou...you'll be glad you did.

Posted on 12/1 8:39 AM | IP: Logged

Bro-Cat

Almost on scholarship
Post #497
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
The Chef-My Favorite Breakfast in any City.

Posted on 12/1 9:09 AM | IP: Logged

tmcats

Post #7951
manhappiness
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
bob's dinner is still open, less crowded and no smokey in mhk anymore, thankfully. bob's serves as good of b'fast as any in town, unless you prefer the chef's upscale surroundings, menu and, ugh, prices. emaw
This post was edited on 12/1 9:14 AM by tmcats

Posted on 12/1 9:12 AM | IP: Logged

PowerCatMama

On full scholarship
Post #1414
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Originally posted by kcdutch:
Have two pickled eggs and a pitcher of Budweiser at the Lou...you'll be glad you did.

Don't forget the saltines!

Posted on 12/1 9:12 AM | IP: Logged

EMAW09

Almost on scholarship
Post #211
McPherson, Ks

MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Go check out the new varsity doughnuts and get a bacon maple doughnut. You can thank me later.

Posted on 12/1 9:18 AM | IP: Logged

AgCat

Almost on scholarship
Post #758
Lawrence
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
The Chef is the clear choice. But new in Aggieville for a little lighter breakfast is Varsity Doghnuts...which are outstanding.

Posted on 12/1 9:25 AM | IP: Logged

PBC_KC
New walk-on to the team
Post #5
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Not in Aggieville...but go to Bob's Diner and get "The Big Country".

It has solved many problems at 3am for me.

Posted on 12/1 9:55 AM | IP: Logged

calvary454

All-Big 12 performer
Post #8712
Denver via Kansas, Washington, Idaho, Montana

MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Originally posted by tmcats:
bob's dinner is still open, less crowded and no smokey in mhk anymore, thankfully. bob's serves as good of b'fast as any in town, unless you prefer the chef's upscale surroundings, menu and, ugh, prices. emaw
This post was edited on 12/1 9:14 AM by tmcats

Well, that's a first. Bob's serves good breakfast? Maybe at 3 am. There's a reason it's much cheaper than everyone else.

I guess I don't find the Chef "upscale". It's a well maintained place with outstanding food, if that's what you mean. It's no more expensive than any really good breakfast joints that I've eaten at across the country.

Posted on 12/1 10:18 AM | IP: Logged

gitrdone!

Post #4462
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
I love Bobs for breakfast. Also, consider Nelsons Landing in Leonardville. Great breakfast. Ck out their website

Posted on 12/1 10:28 AM | IP: Logged

mywillyispurple

Post #10123
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Bob's is drunk food at a bare minimum, and anyone that with a straight face tried to argue it's GOOD food any time of day is likely a senior citizen, no offense. lol. The Chef is no more expensive than Denny's or IHOP and it's made with more care, better ingredients and just damn tastier than anywhere else. It does try to be trendy, but i certainly don't think they are snobby nor 'upscale'.

Varsity Donuts? meh. The dough in their donuts, sucks, just because you put maple icing and bacon on top of it doesn't make it that much better. And it drives me up a wall that they have their stupid side business of bike rentals. wth? this isn't a beach resort or a vacation spot, sorry. No clue what they were trying to attempt with that side venture but it's ratarded.

Posted on 12/1 10:52 AM | IP: Logged

KarrBomb

New walk-on to the team
Post #25
Manhattan, KS
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Dude, I eat at the Chef every Friday morning so I obviously like it a lot, but I wouldn't say it's by far and away the best breakfast you could possibly get in town. You probably won't be able to do it on a Saturday, but if you're still in town Sunday head to Coco Bolo's and try their brunch menu, and for sure get a bloody mary while you're there 'cause they make 'em IGNORANT GOOD.

I think Early Edition is just as good as the chef. The restaurant is borring as hell, and there's more old (and by that I mean legitimately, really old) people there, but the food is great and you won't have to wait in line two hours.

And I'll throw this in since it keeps popping up in threads. Anyone suggesting you go to the Lou obviously not been there in ten years. The Lou is like eating something horrible like Bagel Bites, or a Hot Pocket. They were awesome when you were a kid but if you ate one now it would just scald the crap out of your mouth and give you diarrhea. I am sorry if I offended any of you old-timers, but if you're looking for a dive, townie-bar there's better spots.

Posted on 12/1 11:04 AM | IP: Logged

PBC_KC
New walk-on to the team
Post #24
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Pizza Shuttle !!!!!!!!!!

776-5577 Call us now at Pizza Shuttle!

Posted on 12/1 11:06 AM | IP: Logged

mywillyispurple

Post #10126
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Originally posted by KarrBomb:
Dude, I eat at the Chef every Friday morning so I obviously like it a lot, but I wouldn't say it's by far and away the best breakfast you could possibly get in town. You probably won't be able to do it on a Saturday, but if you're still in town Sunday head to Coco Bolo's and try their brunch menu, and for sure get a bloody mary while you're there 'cause they make 'em IGNORANT GOOD.

I think Early Edition is just as good as the chef. The restaurant is borring as hell, and there's more old (and by that I mean legitimately, really old) people there, but the food is great and you won't have to wait in line two hours.

And I'll throw this in since it keeps popping up in threads. Anyone suggesting you go to the Lou obviously not been there in ten years. The Lou is like eating something horrible like Bagel Bites, or a Hot Pocket. They were awesome when you were a kid but if you ate one now it would just scald the crap out of your mouth and give you diarrhea. I am sorry if I offended any of you old-timers, but if you're looking for a dive, townie-bar there's better spots.

I'll definitely check out Coco Bolos, never knew that had a breakfast menu. I'll disagree that Early Edition is just as good, i've had some bad meals there, there are still really good things on the menu ( love their avocado ranch ) and they make awesome Beglian waffles, but they used a lot of processed ingredients , don't ever get the Monte Cristo there, it's beyond awful.

Posted on 12/1 11:36 AM | IP: Logged

kcdutch

New walk-on to the team
Post #168
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
...Anyone suggesting you go to the Lou obviously not been there in ten years. The Lou is like eating something horrible like Bagel Bites, or a Hot Pocket. They were awesome when you were a kid but if you ate one now it would just scald the crap out of your mouth and give you diarrhea. I am sorry if I offended any of you old-timers, but if you're looking for a dive, townie-bar there's better spots.

Blasphemy!

Posted on 12/1 12:11 PM | IP: Logged

waggcat

Almost on scholarship
Post #547
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
If the Chef is the best by far, that's a pretty sad indication of the options in town. I like the people that run it, but it is nothing special by any means.

Posted on 12/1 12:15 PM | IP: Logged

garyspar

New walk-on to the team
Post #16
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Definitelyu the Hibachi Hut is best

Posted on 12/1 12:18 PM | IP: Logged

mywillyispurple

Post #10128
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Originally posted by waggcat:
If the Chef is the best by far, that's a pretty sad indication of the options in town. I like the people that run it, but it is nothing special by any means.

everyone's entitled to their opinions, but mine is that it's very good food. So not sad at all really.

Posted on 12/1 12:30 PM | IP: Logged

waggcat

Almost on scholarship
Post #548
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Thanks mywilly but any average-sized city has 150 better breakfast places. I wonder if those saying its good just haven't actually eaten anywhere worth a damn. That place wouldn't stand a chance in a place with good breakfast options.

Posted on 12/1 12:33 PM | IP: Logged

mrb1603

Post #1966
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Auntie Mae's...Amber Bock on tap

Posted on 12/1 12:44 PM | IP: Logged

mywillyispurple

Post #10129
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Originally posted by waggcat:
Thanks mywilly but any average-sized city has 150 better breakfast places. I wonder if those saying its good just haven't actually eaten anywhere worth a damn. That place wouldn't stand a chance in a place with good breakfast options.

150 huh? lol. Good grief, you don't like the place and think it's so so , i get it, yeah i'v been to better diners, breakfast spots in bigger cities. But guess what Einstein, Manhattan isn't a metropolis and doesn't have 150 breakfast spots ( gross exaggeration in general). The question was asked what the best place to eat an early breakfast was in THIS city, not the world. But i guess you missed that part. Sorry it's not up to your superior palate.

Posted on 12/1 12:47 PM | IP: Logged

aseiwert

A solid starter
Post #4899
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Originally posted by Bro-Cat:

The Chef is the best in the city by far but it's at third and Poyntz. Worth it, though. Get there early as it's always packed.

Posted on 12/1 1:05 PM | IP: Logged

kstatebuff

On full scholarship
Post #1845
Auburn, KS, now Olathe, KS
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
If the Chef is "upscale", then I'm Collin Klein. I've never been to an upscale breakfast joint that serves Manmosa's (Busch Lt & OJ).

Posted on 12/1 1:29 PM | IP: Logged

midtown13

On full scholarship
Post #1460
New York, NY
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Originally posted by aseiwert:

Originally posted by Bro-Cat:

The Chef is the best in the city by far but it's at third and Poyntz. Worth it, though. Get there early as it's always packed.

4th st. Between Houston and Poyntz.

Posted on 12/1 1:40 PM | IP: Logged

tmcats

Post #7955
manhappiness
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
put it this way, the chef would fit well on mass street and those who frequent the place would as well. the new mhk hilton garden inn has a very nice breakfast that comes with the room. emaw 

Posted on 12/1 1:45 PM | IP: Logged

midtown13

On full scholarship
Post #1461
New York, NY
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Originally posted by tmcats:

Milton's on Mass is an AWESOME breakfast.

Posted on 12/1 1:54 PM | IP: Logged

kstatebuff

On full scholarship
Post #1850
Auburn, KS, now Olathe, KS
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   

Uhh, this is just a guess, but I don't think anyone was suggesting the Lou for breakfast. They don't even have food there, never have, sans pickled eggs and hot mama's. Liquid breakfast, yes, food, no.

Posted on 12/1 2:35 PM | IP: Logged

calvary454

All-Big 12 performer
Post #8713
Denver via Kansas, Washington, Idaho, Montana

MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
So I assume since you feel that way about the chef, you think the same about 75% or more of the businesses in manhattan that are a little on the trendy side?

You are a weird dude.

Posted on 12/1 2:55 PM | IP: Logged

Sieb

New walk-on to the team
Post #70
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Try Mr K's out at Grand Mere Plaza - 9:00 am breakfast buffet and spicy Bloody Mary's

Posted on 12/1 3:44 PM | IP: Logged

cmac90

Almost on scholarship
Post #273
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
So where did everyone end up eating this morning?

Posted on 12/3 6:14 PM | IP: Logged

elwood1

Post #1461
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
HA! I started this thread because I was going to have breakfast with my grand daughter, a freshman. However, we didn't start until 7:30, so I called her and changed our date to dinnner. Janice and I had egg sandwiches at the Topeka gas/food stop from Dunken Doughnuts.
Dinner was at Hibachi. I could have picked another venue but I felt like having beans and rice.
HOWEVER, I am going to try the Chef, so the thread was not wasted. Thanks.
El1

Posted on 12/3 7:59 PM | IP: Logged

cmac90

Almost on scholarship
Post #274
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore   
Awesome glad to hear... After you hit the Chef, check back in and let us Chef fans know what you think. I love it and hope it lives up to the hype for you!

Posted on 12/3 8:37 PM | IP: Logged

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »
lol at Bob still pimping the redevelopment.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 12:21:26 PM »
GPC master thread

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 12:45:15 PM »
Bob's a rough ridin' joke

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 01:16:56 PM »
"bob's dinner is still open, less crowded and no smokey in mhk anymore, thankfully. bob's serves as good of b'fast as any in town, unless you prefer the chef's upscale surroundings, menu and, ugh, prices. emaw"

so he pimps bobs diner because it is less crowed, but still open while downplaying the chef because of the upscale surroundings and menu. wow.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:20:50 PM by rick daris »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 01:18:58 PM »
I mean he takes two runs at The Chef because of its unsavory cast of characters AND its price points?

Good God Bob, just move to Salina or Wamego or Topeka or something.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 01:22:04 AM »
What the eff is waggcat's problem?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »
I think post is enough of a joke with him pimping the Garden Inn.  Trying for the downtown redevelopment kudos a little hard there, Bob?  You enjoy your milk carton eggs and one server that restocks the buffet and doesn't look at any guests.  I'll enjoy the quality.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Bob Strawn hates The Chef, calls them squawks (Bob Strawn Master Thread)
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 08:33:34 AM »
This is now a master thread.

Bob Strawn letter to the editor:

It's good to see that Obama is doing something about pork

To the Editor:
   I understand the president will soon regulate pork in all delis, including those with Jewish roots, even though they currently don't offer pork, pulled or otherwise.  The administration is attempting to stop discrimination against non-Jewish customers at all American delis.  Furthermore, the pork must be sold free, if it comes through a Jewish store.  It's not clear if non-Jewish stores will be required to sell it for free.
   This regulation is supported by 60 percent of those polled, including large numbers of practicing Jews.  Jewish religious leaders are fuming.  But the administration says that Jewish leadership has been consulted.  And further, it points out that Jews don't have to buy the free pork.  They just have to be offered the pork for free.
   Americans clearly favor moving forward on the free pork initiative as shown by the American Cattle Association's endorsement.  Why the cattle industry favors free pork is not clear at this writing, since they have no beef in the matter.
   Shalom
                                                                      Bob Strawn

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 08:42:09 AM »
the eff

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 08:44:17 AM »
the eff

See because birth control is basically just like pork.  GET IT?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 08:45:49 AM »
This is now a master thread.

Bob Strawn letter to the editor:

It's good to see that Obama is doing something about pork

To the Editor:
   I understand the president will soon regulate pork in all delis, including those with Jewish roots, even though they currently don't offer pork, pulled or otherwise.  The administration is attempting to stop discrimination against non-Jewish customers at all American delis.  Furthermore, the pork must be sold free, if it comes through a Jewish store.  It's not clear if non-Jewish stores will be required to sell it for free.
   This regulation is supported by 60 percent of those polled, including large numbers of practicing Jews.  Jewish religious leaders are fuming.  But the administration says that Jewish leadership has been consulted.  And further, it points out that Jews don't have to buy the free pork.  They just have to be offered the pork for free.
   Americans clearly favor moving forward on the free pork initiative as shown by the American Cattle Association's endorsement.  Why the cattle industry favors free pork is not clear at this writing, since they have no beef in the matter.
   Shalom
                                                                      Bob Strawn

What in fucks name is he talking about?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 09:15:10 AM »
I interpreted it as being about bibles in hotel/motel nightstands.  He is being sarcastic about them.  He thinks they are offensive to have them there for non-Christians and that they are essentially being "offered" the religion.

Just another case of Bob Strawn making sure the people don't have zealot-esque religious views forced upon them.