Author Topic: Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse  (Read 251228 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse
« Reply #1600 on: July 22, 2012, 08:39:37 PM »
Yeah penn st its agreeing to all of this.

catzacker

« Reply #1601 on: July 22, 2012, 08:55:21 PM »
Maybe I missed it but where is penn state cool with ncaa penalties?  You can't just disregard policies and process.  The ncaa has no basis whatsoever to investgate penn state.  Still haven't seen the rule they violated or the precedent for an investigation.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: July 22, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Maybe I missed it but where is penn state cool with ncaa penalties?  You can't just disregard policies and process.  The ncaa has no basis whatsoever to investgate penn state.  Still haven't seen the rule they violated or the precedent for an investigation.

Apparently they did though

Offline kstater

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: July 22, 2012, 09:17:13 PM »

They are agreeing because they want to get this the eff over with and get the bad PR done.  You have to believe that the university as a whole is going to suffer, enrollment has to plummet.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse
« Reply #1604 on: July 22, 2012, 09:23:06 PM »
Prolly in the minority for a non penn state fan, but I hope the ncaa stays the eff out of it.  It's a criminal and civil matter.  And the manner by which the ncaa is proceding (i.e. no due process or outside the normal process) hopefully will let penn state to sue the ever loving sh#t out of the ncaa.

Yeah, that would be a fantastic precedent the NCAA would be setting: Raping children is OK with us as long as you aren't gaining an unfair advantage on the recruiting trail because of it.

Offline EMAWesome

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: July 22, 2012, 09:23:51 PM »

They are agreeing because they want to get this the eff over with and get the bad PR done.  You have to believe that the university as a whole is going to suffer, enrollment has to plummet.

Winner

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: July 22, 2012, 09:41:12 PM »

:dubious: They violated the golden rule. Now face the consequences. :dubious:

catzacker, you've been shunned

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: July 22, 2012, 09:49:28 PM »
Prolly in the minority for a non penn state fan, but I hope the ncaa stays the eff out of it.  It's a criminal and civil matter.  And the manner by which the ncaa is proceding (i.e. no due process or outside the normal process) hopefully will let penn state to sue the ever loving sh#t out of the ncaa.

It is happening so fast because PSU is agreeing to sanctions.  They don't want the NCAA sniffing around.

It is interesting that they are agreeing to all sanctions (assuming that holds true).

This would make any legal objections to the NCAA's actions precarious, wouldn't it.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1608 on: July 22, 2012, 09:56:49 PM »
I was pretty level headed for a long time, but after the report and seeing how their fans are reacting, and the hypocrisy of Spanier and Paterno, I want to see it burn.

I want Emmert to turn that program into a walking reminder of what putting image over basic morals should feel like.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: July 22, 2012, 10:02:49 PM »

What precedent is there to criminal actions, such as in the case at hand, taken with the intent to bolster an NCAA program?  That's what we have here.  We have perhaps the most heinous crimes on earth, covered up, to preserve the standing of an NCAA program.

How on earth does that fail to fall within area in which the NCAA can act? 

Penn State can still play football outside of the NCAA.  They can still stage football events at their 80K stadium.  The NCAA is merely saying that if you choose to wantonly fail to report child rape to protect the image of your program, then you have to pay if you still want to be in the NCAA.

Don't like it?  Leave the NCAA.  Problem solved.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: July 22, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »
The ncaa has no basis whatsoever to investgate penn state. 

Also, the NCAA isn't investigating Penn State.  They are merely relying on the information provided from Penn State's own investigation....as led by a former head of the largest domestic legal entity the world has ever known. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: July 22, 2012, 10:08:02 PM »
I guess you could argue that hiring Freeh to do this investigation was the second worst thing Penn State has ever done to themselves (the first being knowingly allowing a child rapist to rape kids on their campus).

Offline EMAWesome

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: July 22, 2012, 10:26:38 PM »

The obvious 'rule' that has been violated is a complete & total lack of institutional control. Hell, this may be the new benchmark in lack of IC, when you literally had a FB coach tell the Prez & AD NOT to take evidence to the authorities that his DC was rough ridin' little kids. This isn't the Prez looking the other way when a booster wires a kid $$, this is a prez looking the other way on (short of murder) probably the worst crime a human being can commit. The NCAA can clearly come in and say that if the culture is to allow THAT to happen, who knows if the players even went to class (clearly if JoPa could call out the Prez, he could get a Psych 101 teacher to pass the QB so he is eligible even though he didn't show up for class all semester), what ELSE the College Cops covered up at the behest of the program or any other litany of reaches you can get to.

I get that your point is everything except Sandusky rough ridin' kids in the paragraph is circumstantial at best and the NCAA is moving without proof...but that would take a LOT of time. Since PSU covered up the worst crime ever, there is NO doubt that they would/could/have covered up any minor infractions and since they already have then dead to rights covering up the worst of the worst, I think they have every reason to sanction the crap out of PSU.

The obvious precedent that has been set was the Dave Bliss situation @ Baylor. That was just one coach (or maybe he had an assistant help) that covered up a criminal act for the sole purpose of 'protecting the program'. I'm sure there was a lengthy NCAA investigation into that, BUT that wasn't something that took place over decades with high up school officials knowledge...that was a renegade, stupid coach that made a really, really stupid decision that was removed from the situation. Hell if memory serves, he was turned in by another assistant coach, so the 'culture' that is on trial at PSU wasn't nearly the issue @ Baylor...

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: July 22, 2012, 10:32:40 PM »

The obvious 'rule' that has been violated is a complete & total lack of institutional control. Hell, this may be the new benchmark in lack of IC, when you literally had a FB coach tell the Prez & AD NOT to take evidence to the authorities that his DC was rough ridin' little kids. This isn't the Prez looking the other way when a booster wires a kid $$, this is a prez looking the other way on (short of murder) probably the worst crime a human being can commit. The NCAA can clearly come in and say that if the culture is to allow THAT to happen, who knows if the players even went to class (clearly if JoPa could call out the Prez, he could get a Psych 101 teacher to pass the QB so he is eligible even though he didn't show up for class all semester), what ELSE the College Cops covered up at the behest of the program or any other litany of reaches you can get to.

I get that your point is everything except Sandusky rough ridin' kids in the paragraph is circumstantial at best and the NCAA is moving without proof...but that would take a LOT of time. Since PSU covered up the worst crime ever, there is NO doubt that they would/could/have covered up any minor infractions and since they already have then dead to rights covering up the worst of the worst, I think they have every reason to sanction the crap out of PSU.

The obvious precedent that has been set was the Dave Bliss situation @ Baylor. That was just one coach (or maybe he had an assistant help) that covered up a criminal act for the sole purpose of 'protecting the program'. I'm sure there was a lengthy NCAA investigation into that, BUT that wasn't something that took place over decades with high up school officials knowledge...that was a renegade, stupid coach that made a really, really stupid decision that was removed from the situation. Hell if memory serves, he was turned in by another assistant coach, so the 'culture' that is on trial at PSU wasn't nearly the issue @ Baylor...

To summarize, we report a kid who took $200 to give to his poor mother and Penn St. lets their coaches rape kids. Finish them! :shakesfist:

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: July 22, 2012, 10:34:56 PM »
I'm totally #teamkillthemoutofspite

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: July 22, 2012, 10:36:31 PM »
Mark Emmert....sweep the leg.

Offline EMAWesome

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: July 22, 2012, 10:41:56 PM »
Mark Emmert....sweep the leg.

CNN tweeted out earlier that $30M in fines will be part of sanctions as well...That # actually seems low, I think I heard that PSU's Athletic Dept revenues were something like $150M last year, over half of course coming from FB

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: July 22, 2012, 10:54:43 PM »
pro tip:  if you're still dumb enough to be pro paterno, don't be interviewed outside the stadium for sportscenter as they tear down his statue.  that video ain't going anywhere, and you'll need a job someday

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: July 22, 2012, 11:43:48 PM »
If you guys want to see delusion and head in the sand on a level that has never been seen before, check out the Penn State rivals site (BlueWhiteIllustrated.com) and their SBN site (blackshoediaries.com)

Some of the stuff their fans are posting is just...:sdeek:

Of course, there is also lots of :runaway: and :curse:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: July 23, 2012, 12:01:22 AM »
Just realized that this whole story broke the day I took the test to become prolly the most ethical poster on this board.  10K spoons ironic?

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1620 on: July 23, 2012, 12:16:34 AM »
Just realized that this whole story broke the day I took the test to become prolly the most ethical poster on this board.  10K spoons ironic?

Like rain on your wedding day.

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: July 23, 2012, 12:39:31 AM »

Like rain on your wedding day.

:facepalm:
BlackCats does it right and is clearly a good person. - Steve Dave
BlackCats is a vital member of this blogging community, and a close personal friend of mine. -meow meow
I yearn for your nuggets. - Shooter Jones

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: July 23, 2012, 01:50:27 AM »
Some fuckface lawyer (who loves child rape and harboring rapists) chimes in!

Michael L. Buckner Law Firm Statement on Reports of NCAA Sanctions Against Penn State

POSTED BY MICHAEL L. BUCKNER, ESQUIRE ? JULY 22, 2012 ? 24 COMMENTS
FILED UNDER JERRY SANDUSKY, JOE PATERNO, LOUIS FREEH, MARK EMMERT, NCAA, PENN STATE, SEXUAL ABUSE SCANDAL

According to ESPN and other media organizations, NCAA president Mark Emmert has elected to issue sanctions on Monday (July 23, 2012) against Pennsylvania State University, including a loss of scholarships and a multiple-year bowl ban. If the media reports are true, then the NCAA has charted an unprecedented, and perhaps unconstitutional, course of action. Federal and state courts have consistently held that membership organizations, including athletics associations like the NCAA, are required to provide procedures that protect their members against arbitrary and irrational action. Thus, an NCAA rule or decision cannot be applied unreasonably so that it creates different classes of schools. Accordingly, any NCAA sanction against Penn State at this stage may potentially violate federal and state notions of due and fair process for several reasons, including, but not limited to:

The conduct of Penn State and its employees, no matter how egregious, is not a violation of an existing NCAA rule. In fact, according to available information, the NCAA has never interpreted, or issued sanctions under, existing rules to address only criminal violations (or the cover-up of criminal violations). Further, the NCAA has chosen to make criminal activity an NCAA rules-violation in limited circumstances (i.e., Bylaw 10.2 (Knowledge of Use of Banned Drugs) and Bylaw 31.2.3.4 (Banned Drugs))—and the activities described in the report by former FBI director Louis J. Freeh are not addressed in the NCAA Division I Manual.

The NCAA did not establish and publish a process and procedure to address the issues relevant in Penn State’s case. Instead, the NCAA is utilizing an ad-hoc process that has not been explained fully to the membership or the public.

The NCAA is not adhering to its existing enforcement processes and procedures.

The NCAA is treating Penn State differently than other schools that were involved in sexual assault scandals or other serious criminal misconduct.

The NCAA failed to provide Penn State: (a) a written notice of allegations; (b) an opportunity to respond to the notice of allegations; (c) a hearing before an NCAA infractions committee to address the allegations; and (d) a process for an appeal of NCAA findings and sanctions.

As legal counsel for colleges and universities before NCAA committees, we are extremely concerned about the possible NCAA actions and urge the organization to comply with its existing processes and procedures to address the Penn State sexual abuse scandal. In addition, based on our review of the Freeh report, the issues facing Penn State are best left in the expert hands of the criminal and civil courts, the federal Departments of Justice and Education, the Pennsylvania General Assembly and the relevant accrediting agencies.

The Michael L. Buckner Law Firm will issue a comprehensive statement on its blog (http://michaelbucknerlaw.wordpress.com/) after the NCAA announces the Penn State penalties.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline highway61

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: July 23, 2012, 06:29:47 AM »
My question is why does everybody suddenly forgets Michael Jackson was a child rapist the minute he dies, but Paterno continues to get the criticism he deserves?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: July 23, 2012, 07:01:13 AM »
My question is why does everybody suddenly forgets Michael Jackson was a child rapist the minute he dies, but Paterno continues to get the criticism he deserves?
MJ was innocent.
Where did you get that overnight bag?