Author Topic: Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse  (Read 251264 times)

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Re: Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse
« Reply #1525 on: July 22, 2012, 09:53:27 AM »
a fate worse than death?  :sdeek:
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 22, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »
Andy Katz got a hold of someone on the infractions appeal committee who also used to be the head of the infractions committee.  He was saying this is unheard of and he's not sure how the NCAA president can take this actions within the current rules.  Looks like someone on the appeal committee is already thinking shouldn't be happening.  This is going to drag on for another year or two. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: July 22, 2012, 10:36:13 AM »

Their punishment must be more severe (Bane voice).

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 22, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »
The collective groupthink in the media right now is astounding.

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 22, 2012, 10:46:04 AM »

Knowing the NCAA, they will try and do something splashy, but not wipe out PSU.  Maybe murder schollies for 10 years, give a TV ban of 3-5, and no bowl for 3-5.  To me that is the most extreme they will go (and it will probably be far less no matter how the NCAA spins it so they sound tough to the average fan and idiots in the media - remember, when the hit KU football under Mangino, at his response press conference Mangino said the NCAA sanctions on JCs and schollies would have no impact due to limits in place with the 85 limit already - the sanctions which the NCAA sold as severe were nothing but window dressing)..

PSU is eff'ed up, that is true.  But, the NCAA also knows that they don't want to rally a bunch of big football schools to head out on their own where they don't have to pretend to follow the rules while also getting to keep all the TV money for themselves.  If they get too utterly ruthless with PSU, it also hurts the other Big 10 schools.  If the super name/money schools in that conference believe that the PSU penalties are hurting them in the wallet as well, they might start the lobbying with the top 32 or 64 schools (my guess is 32) to begin a move to create their own organization and say eff off to the NCAA (which almost happened in the 70s with the CFA when the money stakes were fare lower).

Now personally, I'd like PSU'ed to get Sanduskyed by the NCAA.  But I have no faith in the NCAA whatsoever.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse
« Reply #1530 on: July 22, 2012, 10:46:54 AM »
I don't get the connection. I understand the lawsuits that will come from the victims. I don't understand taking away scholarships or punishing a team that has no connection to the tragedy. Now that joe's dead who are you punishing? The fans? The alumni? The current players?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: July 22, 2012, 10:56:31 AM »
I don't get the connection. I understand the lawsuits that will come from the victims. I don't understand taking away scholarships or punishing a team that has no connection to the tragedy. Now that joe's dead who are you punishing? The fans? The alumni? The current players?

The AD that perpetuated child rape.  For a start

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 22, 2012, 11:16:55 AM »

yeah, but those guys are all long gone (fired/dead/in jail)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 22, 2012, 11:30:57 AM »

As is the case with virtually all NCAA violations.  Some people who didn't break the rules get punished.

The poor ku women's basketball team gets it every other year.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 22, 2012, 11:34:25 AM »
absolutely. but this isn't a recruiting violation.  I don't know that the NCAA has actual authority over this matter.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 22, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »
absolutely. but this isn't a recruiting violation.  I don't know that the NCAA has actual authority over this matter.

NCAA has more jurisdiction than just recruiting.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: July 22, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »
PSU fans deserve bad things

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: July 22, 2012, 11:59:49 AM »
 so basically it will be the death penalty but without shutting down the program. Penn state fans are going to be great entertainment over this

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: July 22, 2012, 12:01:03 PM »

NCAA has more jurisdiction than just recruiting.

I know, recruiting was just an example. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 22, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »
so basically it will be the death penalty but without shutting down the program. Penn state fans are going to be great entertainment over this

Black shoe guys saying rumblings of 2 year suspension with all players granted release.  We need to be calling their players. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: July 22, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »

are they?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: July 22, 2012, 12:37:42 PM »
Too harsh and let the "why do we need the NCAA" debate heat up even more.

Harsh penalties with no way to do anything against those that perpetrated the acts.   No alliance with the NFL to punish goes who try and jump because no one is jumping, no show case because the coach is dead and no one hire the former AD anyway.

So what's left? Vindictiveness against the school and the people that are left.

Offline EMAWesome

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: July 22, 2012, 12:38:11 PM »

Since this went as high up as the AD I wouldn't be surprised if they got hit with a post season ban/scholarship and/or TV reduction in all sports...that would be unprecedented.

:popcorn:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: July 22, 2012, 12:47:19 PM »

Harsh penalties with no way to do anything against those that perpetrated the acts.   No alliance with the NFL to punish goes who try and jump because no one is jumping, no show case because the coach is dead and no one hire the former AD anyway.

yeah

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 22, 2012, 12:47:37 PM »

I don't know that I agree with it, but the idea is probably that the culture at Penn State of football taking priority over everything (academics, ass rape, etc.) is the root of why this wasn't reported long ago, so destroy the culture.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse
« Reply #1545 on: July 22, 2012, 12:47:46 PM »

It wasn't just a small group of individuals who was at fault, it was the entire Penn State culture that allowed this to happen.

Also, what happened there was far worse than any recruiting violation in history. Why should the NCAA let them off with less harsh penalties?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: July 22, 2012, 12:48:52 PM »

I don't know that I agree with it, but the idea is probably that the culture at Penn State of football taking priority over everything (academics, ass rape, etc.) is the root of why this wasn't reported long ago, so destroy the culture.

that's a good point

Offline EMAWesome

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: July 22, 2012, 12:50:44 PM »

Yup, it's the 'culture of Happy Happy Valley' that leads me to think it may be a program wide penalty

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Penn St's AD Tim Curley charge with perjury: sex abuse
« Reply #1548 on: July 22, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »

Exactly.  And I agree with it 100%. Innocent people get "punished" by being associated with organizations and cultures doing bad things all the time. Not playing football for a year or two in a random town in Pennsylvania isn't exactly a serious "punishment" when you really think about what happened.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: July 22, 2012, 12:55:07 PM »

Exactly.  And I agree with it 100%. Innocent people get "punished" by being associated with organizations and cultures doing bad things all the time. Not playing football for a year or two in a random town in Pennsylvania isn't exactly a serious "punishment" when you really think about what happened.

I think 2 weeks ago I was against it, but the righteous indignation expressed by everyone and anyone associated with Penn State especially since the Report came out is quickly swaying me in favor.