Author Topic: Killing animals  (Read 146281 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Killing animals
« Reply #1550 on: November 27, 2020, 06:46:37 PM »
Milo got her first rooster today

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: November 27, 2020, 06:58:25 PM »
Awesome!
Pretty proud moment?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: November 27, 2020, 07:29:48 PM »
Nice job Milo!   
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: November 27, 2020, 07:38:16 PM »
Beautiful bird!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: November 27, 2020, 08:32:51 PM »
Awesome!
Pretty proud moment?

It was a proud moment, she was walking about 15 yards ahead of me, broke right then started circling back to me when the rooster flushed between us.

She sprinted straight to where the bird landed and played with it for a bit before I got there. As long as she finds the downed birds I'm not going to complain about her not bringing it back to me.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: November 27, 2020, 08:34:27 PM »
Beautiful bird!

Indeed, I'm always impressed at how beautiful their feathers are up close.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: November 28, 2020, 09:02:42 AM »
Not as glamorous as pheasant hunting, but #1s hunter buddy trapping some raccoons at the farm.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: November 28, 2020, 09:26:57 AM »
That thing is a monster, holy cow.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: November 28, 2020, 02:58:36 PM »
Do you trap it for its fur? To make hats?  :confused:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: November 28, 2020, 10:24:02 PM »
This is only my second year hunting pheasants but god damn this is frustrating. Lets compare two days.

Yesterday I pulled into the cat ranch(no cats anymore  :frown:) at 2:45pm. Unloaded real quick and walked the windbreak where I flushed probably 5-10 birds (no good shots due to the tree's and the only ones I could identify were hens). Went across the road to hunt some land I recently got permission to hunt, flushed another 10+ birds, killed a rooster and missed another by 4:30.

Today I hunted the same area's and some other land I had seen birds on before but did not fire my gun once. I even had some cousins join to push the field across the road road from the cat ranch that was loaded with pheasants yesterday but we only saw one hen.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: November 30, 2020, 02:35:23 PM »
Not as glamorous as pheasant hunting, but #1s hunter buddy trapping some raccoons at the farm.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Raccoons are amazing animals. When I was a kid, I would catch raccoons that were raiding our pet food in live traps and relocate them.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: November 30, 2020, 02:36:14 PM »
Milo got her first rooster today

Your dog looks awesome and happy, ben ji.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: November 30, 2020, 06:07:01 PM »
Milo is very happy when she gets to run around in a field but unfortunately my shooting is gawd awful. We were hunting a weedy creek/draw in a corn field on sunday when she stopped, started sniffing a giant weed pile then jumped in. As she jumped in 3 roosters flew out coming right at me (maybe 5 yards to my right), scared the crap out of me and after I missed my first shot then the gun jammed when I pumped it  :blank:.

Later in the day we were hunting the same field where she got her first rooster and she flushed another rooster that started out maybe 15 yards ahead of me to my left then flew directly across my line of sight but I missed all 3 shots. She looked at me in disgust until I said good girl and gave her some treats.

All and all it was a great time  :D

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: November 30, 2020, 06:19:05 PM »
You ever spook up any quail at the ole cat ranch? I’m finding busting coveys is even more fun than chasing ring necks.  We got into some good quail action around Pratt two weeks ago and it was a blast.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: November 30, 2020, 06:32:09 PM »
You ever spook up any quail at the ole cat ranch? I’m finding busting coveys is even more fun than chasing ring necks.  We got into some good quail action around Pratt two weeks ago and it was a blast.

Nah, the cat ranch is in Thomas county which is too far west to see any quail.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: November 30, 2020, 06:37:23 PM »
Had a fbook friend recently post about hunting sandhill cranes. I was pretty  :surprised: until i read more about the legal hunting.
I assumed all cranes were endangered, but I guess i was just thinking about the whooping cranes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandhill_crane
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: November 30, 2020, 08:50:32 PM »

Counterpoint: Meade is fringe bad and we have shitloads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: November 30, 2020, 08:58:46 PM »
Had a fbook friend recently post about hunting sandhill cranes. I was pretty  :surprised: until i read more about the legal hunting.
I assumed all cranes were endangered, but I guess i was just thinking about the whooping cranes.

My dad had a guy come through asking about hunting cranes on his land or nearby land. He called it "The Ribeye in the Sky"

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: November 30, 2020, 09:00:56 PM »

Counterpoint: Meade is fringe bad and we have shitloads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds awful, if you need to purge them from your lands I know a guy.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: November 30, 2020, 11:01:54 PM »

My dad had a guy come through asking about hunting cranes on his land or nearby land. He called it "The Ribeye in the Sky"

I actually have the extra certificate you need to hunt sand hill cranes.

I was looking at all the different seasons on the ksoutdoors.com website and it said something about needing to take some test to identify sand hill cranes vs whooping cranes (which are endangered). I clicked on the link and next thing you know I watched a short power point slide, took a 10 question test where they show you pictures of sand hill cranes and whooping cranes and passed with an 8/10.

I dont plan on hunting cranes and couldnt tell you the difference 1 month after taking the test but I guess I could pull some ribeye out of the sky if the opportunity arose.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: December 01, 2020, 09:09:16 AM »
Milo is very happy when she gets to run around in a field but unfortunately my shooting is gawd awful. We were hunting a weedy creek/draw in a corn field on sunday when she stopped, started sniffing a giant weed pile then jumped in. As she jumped in 3 roosters flew out coming right at me (maybe 5 yards to my right), scared the crap out of me and after I missed my first shot then the gun jammed when I pumped it  :blank:.

Later in the day we were hunting the same field where she got her first rooster and she flushed another rooster that started out maybe 15 yards ahead of me to my left then flew directly across my line of sight but I missed all 3 shots. She looked at me in disgust until I said good girl and gave her some treats.

:thumbs:

It has been probably 9 years since I tried to hunt pheasants in Kansas. 3 yrs ago I went up to SD with a group but it was so cold all the layers of clothes I had to wear made it impossible to mount the shotgun on my shoulder and my normally terrible shooting was even worse. The guides had these 4WD school buses that they would take our group around to the various plots to hunt. The lodge we stayed at raised these "hybrid flushing dogs" (maybe a cross between a GSP and a lab). They didn't really point birds but would crash into thick cover to flush out pheasants. They did some very long retrieves of wounded birds as well. Very fun to watch "high motor" dogs that are enjoying themselves at work.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: December 01, 2020, 09:30:51 AM »
Will a fox kill a small dog?  My dad has spotted a fox visiting his front porch daily. He told a neighbor about it and the neighbor asked if he could trap it because he said it would kill my dad's shih zu.  Is that right? The fox is not very big.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: December 01, 2020, 04:50:14 PM »

BenJi . . . Dax "long time bird hunter" Jones is here to help.

With Roosters it is best to let a field settle for a few days after pushing them.    The wiley ringneck pheasant is a quick study.    For birds to return quickly, there has to be something in a field that they cannot find elsewhere, and that's pretty rare out in Kansas.

As the season progresses if you're working heavy cover and now that you have a dog, I suggest you work it slowly, particularly if the weather isn't great and the bird really doesn't want to flush if they're burrowed down in the cover.   In fact, in pockets that one person and a dog can cover, if you have the time, push back through it. 

Always here to help.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: December 01, 2020, 05:07:17 PM »

With Roosters it is best to let a field settle for a few days after pushing them.    The wiley ringneck pheasant is a quick study.    For birds to return quickly, there has to be something in a field that they cannot find elsewhere, and that's pretty rare out in Kansas.

As the season progresses if you're working heavy cover and now that you have a dog, I suggest you work it slowly, particularly if the weather isn't great and the bird really doesn't want to flush if they're burrowed down in the cover.   In fact, in pockets that one person and a dog can cover, if you have the time, push back through it. 

Always here to help.

Thanks Dax. I did notice that I was seeing more birds when I walked slowly and stopped for around 30 seconds randomly. Unfortunately I get all revved up and try to cover as much ground as possible. Will make sure I slow down next time and give a fields a rest for a day or so.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: December 01, 2020, 05:17:07 PM »

Always here to help.

Thanks Dax. I did notice that I was seeing more birds when I walked slowly and stopped for around 30 seconds randomly. Unfortunately I get all revved up and try to cover as much ground as possible. Will make sure I slow down next time and give a fields a rest for a day or so.

You'll get it a feel for it, sometimes you have to move fast because the birds are running to the edge of light cover and then flushing.  But once the season progresses in heavy cover they're likely going to try and sit and let you pass right on by from my experience.   I've seen birds practically getting stomped on repeatedly that still won't flush.    If a tree line has row crops on the edge you can sometimes see the birds running in the rows.   Also, as the season progresses slamming a car door and making a bunch of noise is a no-no.