Author Topic: i'm becoming an anti-sodiumite  (Read 17061 times)

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: i'm becoming an anti-sodiumite
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 12:51:42 PM »
  i've noticed as i've gotten older that salt sticks out more to me in food than it did before and seems to bother me after i eat, like i can't get the salty taste out of  my mouth.   

About 1 out of every 10 times I go to Chipotle (some things are more important than low sodium), it will taste like they just took an entire bag of rock salt and dumped it into my burrito.  I don't know if they just mis-measure the salt in a batch of beans or rice or what, but it pretty much ruins the rest of my day.

I've had this happend a few times also.  It is usually in the rice and it is bad. 

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • Worst Non-KSU grad school KU poster on goEMAW.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 02:10:21 PM »
I have also begun cutting back on sodium.  I don't have high blood pressure but my parents suffer from it.  The biggest thing I have come to realize is the only way to cut back is to make things yourself.  Like instead of taco seasoning, mix the separate ingredients together (garlic, cumin, chili chowder, paprika, crushed red pepper, etc).  Instead of beans from a can, by bags of dry beans then soak them in water over night.  Homemade spaghetti sauce from real tomatoes, etc.  Its a bit of work at first, but once you do it, it gets easier, and you start making things in bulk and then freezing them, like sauces.  Also, the help, when you are cooking yourself and feel the need to add salt, use sea salt or rock salt, a little of that goes a lot farther than table salt.
Message Board Samurai

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 02:23:14 PM »
ya i noticed taco seasoning is really bad.  would feel elite to make my own taco seasoning.  i'm not too far from Mexico Chopper in KC, they make fresh tortillas daily, they're great.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 02:26:25 PM »
Sodium levels actually run very low in my family.  My moms has to take in extra salt on Dr's orders.  Pretty great knowing I won't have to worry about this.  But, high triglycerides.  Trans fat is basically the devil for those apparently. 

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 02:30:57 PM »
Sodium levels actually run very low in my family.  My moms has to take in extra salt on Dr's orders.  Pretty great knowing I won't have to worry about this.  But, high triglycerides.  Trans fat is basically the devil for those apparently. 

Hey, bro, my box of cheez-its say "no trans fats" so you always have those.   :love:

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • Worst Non-KSU grad school KU poster on goEMAW.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 02:31:13 PM »
ya i noticed taco seasoning is really bad.  would feel elite to make my own taco seasoning.  i'm not too far from Mexico Chopper in KC, they make fresh tortillas daily, they're great.

The Mexican Price Chopper's tortillas are elite.  Have 1/4 of a package in my fridge waiting on some adobo pork this weekend.
Message Board Samurai

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 02:31:23 PM »
Here's a helpful hint from Chingon:

Adding acid to food can act as a pretty solid salt replacer.  Try adding a squeeze of lime or lemon.  It works magic on beans, meats, and vegetables.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 06:31:52 PM »

The Mexican Price Chopper's tortillas are elite.  Have 1/4 of a package in my fridge waiting on some adobo pork this weekend.

Place has the best produce, too.  It's about 5 minutes away from my pad.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 07:20:02 PM »
Here's a helpful hint from Chingon:

Adding acid to food can act as a pretty solid salt replacer.  Try adding a squeeze of lime or lemon.  It works magic on beans, meats, and vegetables.
here's teh thing about acid, i can't take it every time i want to get a bite to eat bro.  we're not all in college anymore.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2010, 09:14:36 PM »
I go down to Orscheln's every other week to get me another salt lick for my nightstand.  Nothing like a hankering for a hunk of salt at 3 am.  :lick:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 09:47:06 PM »
i love salt fellas. you know what i don't really like? sweets. prob a topic for a diffy thread, but i'll talk a salty snack over a sweet snack any day. you can take chocolate and shove it straight up your ass. know what i'm saying guys?

good luck w/ the salt stuff clams.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 07:27:45 AM »
i love salt fellas. you know what i don't really like? sweets. prob a topic for a diffy thread, but i'll talk a salty snack over a sweet snack any day. you can take chocolate and shove it straight up your ass. know what i'm saying guys?

Yeah, sugar can GTFOOMF!  Nachos can GTFITMM!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 08:07:12 AM »

snacks.  LMAO.   snacks are for kids.  if you knew anything about my diet you would know that i cut out most sugar (except for the sugar that occurs naturally in my food) a long time ago.  hey snackface fatty- take a hike, LMAO. 

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 08:09:41 AM »
Only sweets I eat is ice cream, and I might have that once a week.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2010, 09:33:44 AM »
Have you guys heard of Hansen's soda? Has no sodium, no preservatives, no corn syrup, etc. Pretty good stuff too.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2010, 09:40:14 AM »
Have you guys heard of Hansen's soda? Has no sodium, no preservatives, no corn syrup, etc. Pretty good stuff too.

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
jfc. next we are going to have a thread on prostate check up's and how often is too often.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2010, 10:17:03 PM »
http://www.slashfood.com/2010/06/17/like-things-salty-you-might-be-a-supertaster/

Remember the old potato chip slogan, "No one can eat just one"? Well, it turns out there may be a granule of scientific truth to that bit of advertising bravado -- for some of us, at least.

According to a study published this week in the journal Physiology & Behavior, some people appear to be genetically hardwired to enjoy saltier foods than others. So-called "supertasters" are people who experience all tastes more intensely (sweet, bitter, salty), and the participants in the study who were identified as supertasters reported eating saltier foods.

"Most of us like the taste of salt," said John Hayes, a food researcher at Penn State and one of the study's authors. "However, some individuals eat more salt, both because they like the taste of saltiness more, and also because it is needed to block other unpleasant tastes in food," such as bitterness.

Hayes describes supertasters as living in "a neon food world," while so-called "nontasters" (do we really need to explain who those poor, taste-bud-deprived folks are?) "live in a pastel food world."

So just when you start to think, "Hey, I want to be a supertaster, where every bite is like a stroll down the Vegas strip," here comes the downer: supertasters' penchant for salt may put them at increased risk for things like heart disease and high blood pressure.

That means that studies like this one could have far-reaching implications for public health policy, especially now that salt seems to have replaced trans fat on the food police's version of America's Most Wanted.

In April, the Food and Drug Administration announced a 10-year initiative to cut the amount of salt in processed foods, which could result in federal limits on just how much sodium that manufacturers can put into everything from spaghetti sauce to ice cream.

But if Hayes and his colleagues are right, there may be some snackers out there who would rather have the government pry that can of Pringles from their cold, dead hands than willingly give up salt.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
The worst part of this whole thing is that every time I bite into a delicious Chipotle burrito (which is a lot less often after a horrible experience I had with a Chipotle employee a few months ago) I can't appreciate the fact that Pissclams is enjoying a similar burrito somewhere in this world. :frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2010, 10:31:46 PM »
The worst part of this whole thing is that every time I bite into a delicious Chipotle burrito (which is a lot less often after a horrible experience I had with a Chipotle employee a few months ago) I can't appreciate the fact that Pissclams is enjoying a similar burrito somewhere in this world. :frown:

Here's the thing....he probably is.  He still eats all that stuff. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2010, 10:42:54 PM »
i'm a supertaster guys, sorry...gag me with a spoon :users:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2010, 10:56:48 PM »
i'm a supertaster guys, sorry...gag me with a spoon :users:

I am too bro.  There's no saving me either.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2011, 09:43:42 AM »
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/215214.php

USDA releases new sodium guidelines

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack states: "The 2010 Dietary Guidelines are being released at a time when the majority of adults and one in three children is overweight or obese and this is a crisis we can no longer ignore. These new and improved dietary recommendations give individuals the information to make thoughtful choices of healthier foods in the right portions and to complement those choices with physical activity. The bottom line is that most Americans need to trim our waistlines to reduce the risk of development diet-related chronic disease. Improving our eating habits is not only good for every individuals and family, but also for our country."

The new guidelines include 23 specific recommendations for the general population and six recommendations for specific groups such as pregnant women.

No one should consume more than 2,300 milligrams of salt per day. Those who are age 51 and older and those who are African American (almost half of the U.S. population) or have high blood pressure, diabetes or chronic kidney disease should consume no more than 1,500 milligrams per day.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »
One teaspoon of table salt has 2,325 milligrams (mg) of sodium.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2011, 10:15:41 AM »
I know the last few years people have showed that sodium is like really bad for you and stuff, but humans have been eating it for a long time...