Author Topic: i'm becoming an anti-sodiumite  (Read 17064 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
i'm becoming an anti-sodiumite
« on: March 02, 2010, 10:59:50 AM »
what are your guys thoughts?
i saw a doctor oz episode and he was like ya it's really bad for your heart, then he did a little experiment thing and i realized how much sodium i intake daily and why it's bad. 

currently in the phase of understanding what foods i eat that are high in sodium and trying to figure out a way to scale back on them.  LOL @ "scale back on them" 

phase two will be sodium reduction phase.  anyone else reduced sodium?  how is low sodium food, grizoss?   :users:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: i'm becoming an anti-sodiumite
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 11:00:33 AM »
also- please don't read this thread and remember my lunch with s'clams thread.  they don't match.  (remember that i'm still in sodium research phase).

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 11:05:05 AM »
Any canned item will be loaded with it.  Like, canned tomato sauce/paste/soup/v8/etc. has tons.  Low sodium V8 tastes like low sodium barf stew. 

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
what are your guys thoughts?
i saw a doctor oz episode and he was like ya it's really bad for your heart, then he did a little experiment thing and i realized how much sodium i intake daily and why it's bad. 

currently in the phase of understanding what foods i eat that are high in sodium and trying to figure out a way to scale back on them.  LOL @ "scale back on them" 

phase two will be sodium reduction phase.  anyone else reduced sodium?  how is low sodium food, grizoss?   :users:

I have also reduced my sodium intake.  According to health experts, it is poison.  Also a major cause of bloating.  Was told to stay away from canned soup because of it's high sodium content.

Sodium is the main reason diet pop is bad for you.  I cut pop out of my diet completely, and I honestly don't miss it one bit (except for the occasional whiskey and coke zero).

A lot of your microwave frozen food, or processed food in general will have a high sodium content.  It makes it harder for your body to digest compared to natural foods.    
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 11:08:38 AM »
I usually just don't add salt and I'm fine :dunno:

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 11:10:33 AM »
Pepper and other spices and herbs make great alternatives to salt.   :lick:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 11:11:18 AM »
Love sodium.  I'm eating about 1500 calories per day so sodium content is no biggy.  Olives are pretty high in sodium I think but you have to eat alot of them.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 11:17:04 AM »
I usually just don't add salt and I'm fine :dunno:

adding table salt generally doesn't count bc unless you are dumping on your food it's miniscule.  A few sprinkles on your food really doesn't matter.  What matters is what's in your food to begin with.

and anything that is premade/or oven ready etc is loaded.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 11:23:43 AM »
Love sodium.  I'm eating about 1500 calories per day so sodium content is no biggy.  Olives are pretty high in sodium I think but you have to eat alot of them.

:eek:

How's the weather in Sardinia this morning?
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 11:31:42 AM »

:confused:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 11:35:57 AM »

caloric restriction  = super long life = Sardinian centenarians

Also, congrats on living forever.  :cheers:

"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 11:43:31 AM »
I've started using the green bottle of soy sauce instead of the orange one when I get fried rice.  That is my sodium scale back.  Unfortunately I still use a eff load so it really probably doesn't matter anyway. 

Would love to do the low calorie thing.  I think I'm addicted to over eating though. 

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 11:44:04 AM »
Love sodium.  I'm eating about 1500 calories per day so sodium content is no biggy.  Olives are pretty high in sodium I think but you have to eat alot of them.

caloric restriction  = super long life = Sardinian centenarians

Also, congrats on living forever.  :cheers:

Good deal - looking forward to it
 :bwpopcorn: <--except with a smaller bag, and maybe w/ olives instead of popcorn

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 11:44:26 AM »
I've started using the green bottle of soy sauce instead of the orange one when I get fried rice.  That is my sodium scale back.  Unfortunately I still use a eff load so it really probably doesn't matter anyway. 

Would love to do the low calorie thing.  I think I'm addicted to over eating though. 
That Kikkoman lite tastes like ass juice.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 11:45:36 AM »
Any canned item will be loaded with it.  Like, canned tomato sauce/paste/soup/v8/etc. has tons.  Low sodium V8 tastes like low sodium barf stew. 
A can of spaghettios has over a fourth of your daily intake.

Clams make sure you don't get a goider.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 11:49:29 AM »

That Kikkoman lite tastes like ass juice.

Yes it does.  It also only cuts back the sodium from 38% DV to 24% DV.  I'm swithing back. 

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 11:49:59 AM »
Salt is one of my favorite foods.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 11:52:33 AM »
goider from not enough iodine right?  i'm not stopping salt, just cutting back to safer amounts.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 11:55:30 AM »
I think if you cut out all canned foods you should be ok.  Instead of canned veggies go to fresh or frozen vegetables with no added sodium. 

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 12:11:31 PM »
Instead of canned veggies go to fresh or frozen vegetables with no added sodium.  

This is one good step.

I started to cut back on my sodium intake a couple of years ago due to heart issues.  It seems to have made a big difference so far for my blood pressure.

Nearly all restaurant food has a ton of salt in it, not just fast food.  Most of us have been conditioned to expect a lot of salt.  When I was young, we did not eat away from home that much, and my parents didn't use much salt in cooking, so I've actually been able to cut back without suffering through the taste.  For instance, I much prefer low-sodium V-8 over the original.

Cheese has lots of sodium in it, so I've cut back on that.  

Canned soup is high in sodium, but most brands offer a reduced sodium that has 45% to 50% less sodium.  I like Campbells' Chunky low sodium offerings, and have them often for lunch.  There's still about 35% your RDA, but I figure that's not too bad since it makes up most of the meal.  Usually make myself a salad with it...salad dressing is another place where sodium can get high.  I've found that viengar and oil type dressings usually have the lowest amount.

More than anything else, just taking the time to check and compare the nutrition facts and keeping your eyes open can really help guide you to lowering sodium intake.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »
I think if you cut out all canned foods you should be ok.  Instead of canned veggies go to fresh or frozen vegetables with no added sodium. 
i don't really eat vegetables.  they will be implemented in a future phase heathly eating things phase implementation.

Instead of canned veggies go to fresh or frozen vegetables with no added sodium. 

This is one good step.

I started to cut back on my sodium intake a couple of years ago due to heart issues.  It seems to have made a big difference so far for my blood pressure.

Nearly all restaurant food has a ton of salt in it, not just fast food.  Most of us have been conditioned to expect a lot of salt.  When I was young, we did not eat away from home that much, and my parents didn't use much salt in cooking, so I've actually been able to cut back without suffering through the taste.  For instance, I much prefer low-sodium V-8 over the original.

Cheese has lots of sodium in it, so I've cut back on that. 

Canned soup is high in sodium, but most brands offer a reduced sodium that has 45% to 50% less sodium.  I like Campbells' Chunky low sodium offerings, and have them often for lunch.  There's still about 35% your RDA, but I figure that's not too bad since it makes up most of the meal.  Usually make myself a salad with it...salad dressing is another place where sodium can get high.  I've found that viengar and oil type dressings usually have the lowest amount.

More than anything else, just taking the time to check and compare the nutrition facts and keeping your eyes open can really help guide you to lowering sodium intake.
this is good advice, thanks.  the bolded part should help a ton.  i've noticed as i've gotten older that salt sticks out more to me in food than it did before and seems to bother me after i eat, like i can't get the salty taste out of  my mouth.    couple that with the Dr Oz heart message and I say salt can eat a fat dick.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 12:38:26 PM »
  i've noticed as i've gotten older that salt sticks out more to me in food than it did before and seems to bother me after i eat, like i can't get the salty taste out of  my mouth.   

About 1 out of every 10 times I go to Chipotle (some things are more important than low sodium), it will taste like they just took an entire bag of rock salt and dumped it into my burrito.  I don't know if they just mis-measure the salt in a batch of beans or rice or what, but it pretty much ruins the rest of my day.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 12:45:35 PM »
good, more sodium for me.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 12:45:49 PM »
I had a bad run-in once with excessive salt at a Taco John's. Haven't ate there since.  :cry:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 12:48:10 PM »
:bwpopcorn: <--except with a smaller bag, and maybe w/ olives instead of popcorn

:crossfingers: <--except sardonically