Author Topic: Finney is really good...  (Read 6131 times)

Offline The Manhatter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Finney is really good...
« on: October 12, 2011, 04:21:57 PM »
I'm really floored how well that kid is playing for being a redshirt freshman at such a critical position.  Watched him for large segments of the games so far...tremendous balance (he's never on the ground), strong at the point of attack although at times he could maintain blocks just a hair longer, and he really gets after it.  He's an aggressive player.

His wrestling background serves him well in those tight spaces.  Loved how he was taking Sheldon Richardson to his back on those goal line situations.  buzz cut can ball.

Oh, and he's running neck and neck with The Chamber for the reddest face on the team during a game.

If anybody could get a few stills of Finney and Chamber just prior to some plays in the Miami game you'll know what I'm talking about.  Red as hades.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Academics is a stupid word.

Academic schools are synonymous for being rich, powerful and exclusive, three things Kansas State is not.

So when people throw the word "academics" around, that's really what they are referencing.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: Finney is really good...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 04:38:41 PM »
Finney is great. I said this when Simon was healthy and ready to come back and I said keep Finney because he is better and someone said I was an idiot.
Anyway, VALIDATION.

Offline The Manhatter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 04:41:01 PM »
Finney is great. I said this when Simon was healthy and ready to come back and I said keep Finney because he is better and someone said I was an idiot.
Anyway, VALIDATION.

not to get overly tuck-ish but when confronted by some folks who know nothing about the sport they will always make the assumption the black kid is better than the kansas white kid walk-on with a buzz cut.
Academics is a stupid word.

Academic schools are synonymous for being rich, powerful and exclusive, three things Kansas State is not.

So when people throw the word "academics" around, that's really what they are referencing.

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 04:48:34 PM »
Anyway, VALIDATION.

not to get overly tuck-ish but when confronted by some folks who know nothing about the sport they will always make the assumption the black kid is better than the kansas white kid walk-on with a buzz cut.

you're a tard, tell me more though.  How are his hips?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »
sweet and succulent.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »
Sniff, sniff...do you smell that? OUTLAND???

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 06:37:25 PM »
A dancing bear, if you will.

With amazing hips.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 06:54:33 PM »
Finney is to Matt Boss

as

Winbush is to Sproles

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 06:57:37 PM »
Anyway, VALIDATION.

This is probably true for every position except offensive line, place kicker and punter.  When it comes to these positions, the whiter and more buzzed hair, the better.  

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 02:07:02 AM »
Kansas State senior C B.J. Finney "projects as a middle round pick for a zone blocking offense," according to TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

"The center spot in next April’s draft offers several terrific senior prospects and Finney is starting to enter the conversation," Pauline wrote. "During the KSU victory over Oklahoma he was efficient in all areas and easily handled his assignments. The four year starter is smart, dependable and projects as a middle round pick for a zone blocking offense." The former walk-on is a four-year starter. CBS Sports' Dane Brugler wrote before the season that Finney "doesn't have too many excitable traits for the NFL level." Perhaps he's changed his mind.

Source: TFY Draft Insider Oct 20 - 7:42 PM

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 05:40:47 AM »
Is Finney one of our better guys on our illegal lineman down field pass play?

Offline hjfklmor

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 06:14:57 AM »

Is Finney one of our better guys on our illegal lineman down field pass play?

Yes he's v good at secretly being five yards down field

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 08:20:01 AM »
Maybe we should just declare him as an eligible receiver every snap.   :dunno:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 08:36:21 AM »
To be fair. That's kind of a tough play not to be down field on. You're trying to sell the run before the pop pass and have to block according so. It sucks, but I kinda get it in a way.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 08:40:02 AM »
He's not really selling the run since it is a run/pass option. It's really tough to not go downfield the longer the play goes on. After about 3 seconds he probably assumes Waters is keeping it.

I thought he was further downfield on the Gronk TD when they didn't call it than on the play they actually called the penalty.  :th_twocents:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 08:46:37 AM »
Having OL downfield is always a risk with the POP pass concept, but its worth it. It happens all the time in college football now, but officials rarely call it. We just happened to get caught once last week.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 09:23:39 AM »
Having OL downfield is always a risk with the POP pass concept, but its worth it. It happens all the time in college football now, but officials rarely call it. We just happened to get caught once last week.

If I understand the rule correctly, you can be downfield so long as you are engaging a defender who lined up at the line of scrimmage.  The only time we got called was when Whitehair was downfield and not blocking anyone (we were in splits).  The other times, including on Gronks TD, our lineman were downfield but still engaged in a block of a defender who lined up at line of scrimmage.

As I understand the rule, Stoops was whining even though the refs called in exactly right in each instance.

Someone with better knowledge:  Is this the rule?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »

If I understand the rule correctly, you can be downfield so long as you are engaging a defender who lined up at the line of scrimmage.  The only time we got called was when Whitehair was downfield and not blocking anyone (we were in splits).  The other times, including on Gronks TD, our lineman were downfield but still engaged in a block of a defender who lined up at line of scrimmage.

As I understand the rule, Stoops was whining even though the refs called in exactly right in each instance.

By rule, ineligible players (offensive line, covered receivers) have 3 yards to work with past the LOS on a pass play. They can go down field and engage in blocks inside this area, and this rule is largely in play for play action passes so the OL can fire off to sell a run fake. Technically they can not come off the LOS, engage a defender, and continue to block the defender (even if he started at the LOS) down the field outside of those 3 yards. And they certainly can't release downfield (like we got called for) to block if the ball is thrown downfield The exception of course is if the ball is caught behind the LOS, then the OL can be down field and block as soon as the ball is caught with no infraction.

The issue is as more teams run POP pass concepts, you end up with more offensive linemen releasing early because of the timing of these plays. Its easier because most teams use zone blocking concepts and generally even on run plays the offensive line blocks at the LOS, however you will still get occurrences when the offensive line release, probably more so for us because we still employ a lot of man blocking concepts with our zone schemes in the running game.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 09:49:59 AM »
i like that play, sad to hear we're cheating our asses off by running it

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 09:54:10 AM »

Meh, make them call it. Most of the time they won't. Plus its really hard to defend.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 10:34:45 AM »

Meh, make them call it. Most of the time they won't. Plus its really hard to defend.

Exactly!  To me, this follows the line of thinking that, if they wanted to, the officials could call holding on every snap.

bears are fast...

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 10:58:46 AM »

By rule, ineligible players (offensive line, covered receivers) have 3 yards to work with past the LOS on a pass play. They can go down field and engage in blocks inside this area, and this rule is largely in play for play action passes so the OL can fire off to sell a run fake. Technically they can not come off the LOS, engage a defender, and continue to block the defender (even if he started at the LOS) down the field outside of those 3 yards. And they certainly can't release downfield (like we got called for) to block if the ball is thrown downfield The exception of course is if the ball is caught behind the LOS, then the OL can be down field and block as soon as the ball is caught with no infraction.

The issue is as more teams run POP pass concepts, you end up with more offensive linemen releasing early because of the timing of these plays. Its easier because most teams use zone blocking concepts and generally even on run plays the offensive line blocks at the LOS, however you will still get occurrences when the offensive line release, probably more so for us because we still employ a lot of man blocking concepts with our zone schemes in the running game.

Thanks.  Just so I understand:  Our lineman are not "ineligible downfield" so long as they are within 3 yards of the LOS, regardless of whether they are engaging a defender or not?  And, conversely, our lineman are "ineligible downfield" if they get past that 3-yard area, regardless of whether they are engaging a defender or not? In other words, it doesn't matter whether they are engaging a defender or not, the determinative question is whether they are within 3 yards of the LOS?  That is different than what I read earlier.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 11:13:28 AM »
Thanks.  Just so I understand:  Our lineman are not "ineligible downfield" so long as they are within 3 yards of the LOS, regardless of whether they are engaging a defender or not?  And, conversely, our lineman are "ineligible downfield" if they get past that 3-yard area, regardless of whether they are engaging a defender or not? In other words, it doesn't matter whether they are engaging a defender or not, the determinative question is whether they are within 3 yards of the LOS?  That is different than what I read earlier.

That has always been my understanding of the rule. Here are a couple of quotes (from SEC director of officials) that confirm this from after the Auburn-Alabama game when there were questions regarding Marshall's late TD pass on a POP pass play.

“No originally ineligible receiver shall be or have been more than 3 yards beyond the neutral zone until a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone has been thrown,” Shaw said. “The key word is thrown — it is where the players are when the pass is released.”

“It is not offensive pass interference when after the snap an ineligible receiver immediately charges and contacts an opponent at a point not more than 1 yard beyond the neutral zone and does not continue the contact more than 3 yards beyond the neutral zone,” Shaw said.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 11:43:36 AM »
They called it on Finney, but he wasn't actually downfield that play. I think it was actually Whitehair.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 11:44:38 AM »
They called it on Finney, but he wasn't actually downfield that play. I think it was actually Whitehair.

This is correct. I think the left guard and tackle were both downfield.