Author Topic: Volleyball  (Read 151751 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Volleyball
« Reply #1350 on: November 25, 2023, 04:10:38 PM »
 :cry: Blowing that second set was below not good, I think we're cooked. We couldn't have looked worse in sets 3 & 4, against a team that was short handed. The bids being stolen, all over the place, doesn't help.

Online Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: November 25, 2023, 04:16:09 PM »
 :frown:

Good foundation year to build off of. Hoping for a generous decision from the committee tomorrow.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: November 26, 2023, 05:57:24 PM »
Didn't make it, weren't close. If we beat Houston we likely still wouldn't have made it. We were about 20 places lower in the rpi than the lowest at large selection.

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: November 26, 2023, 06:05:26 PM »
SFA didn’t have any top 50 wins. We had 6

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: November 26, 2023, 06:39:38 PM »
eff this

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: November 26, 2023, 06:59:20 PM »
Not that it matters, but the Volleytalk crowd largely thinks KSU being left out and SFA getting into the field is one of the worst committee decisions in a long time. SFA had zero top 50 wins and KSU had six (three in the top 15). But, it seems like this committee largely went chalk with the RPI (SFA was 37 and we were 57).

Definitely some learnings from a scheduling standpoint for next year..

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: November 26, 2023, 07:02:22 PM »
I wonder if the non con was already made up before Mansfield got the job

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: November 26, 2023, 11:06:50 PM »
Not that it matters, but the Volleytalk crowd largely thinks KSU being left out and SFA getting into the field is one of the worst committee decisions in a long time. SFA had zero top 50 wins and KSU had six (three in the top 15). But, it seems like this committee largely went chalk with the RPI (SFA was 37 and we were 57).

The committee for all sports outside of men's basketball does that, and frankly, without the ability to see all of these teams on a consistent basis, they should. The people who say that SFA shouldn't be in have no real way of knowing that they aren't as good as the other bubble schools they were paired against. Power conference schools shouldn't be selected simply because they are in a power conference. The volleyball committee has a long history of issuing a multiple bids to traditional one bid conferences.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: November 26, 2023, 11:13:43 PM »
I wonder if the non con was already made up before Mansfield got the job

It was not, but the non con was fine. We could have gotten more help from those teams in the Portland tournament but we were victimized by bad conference losses more than the non con schedule. Besides, we were awful in the non con, even the matches we won. A harder schedule would have resulted in a record around .500

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: November 27, 2023, 08:47:53 AM »

The committee for all sports outside of men's basketball does that, and frankly, without the ability to see all of these teams on a consistent basis, they should. The people who say that SFA shouldn't be in have no real way of knowing that they aren't as good as the other bubble schools they were paired against. Power conference schools shouldn't be selected simply because they are in a power conference. The volleyball committee has a long history of issuing a multiple bids to traditional one bid conferences.

Agree to disagree a bit on this one - I'd argue it's actually been trending in the opposite direction and what was stated as the most important factors earlier this year (not just the RPI/KPI, but also your recent matches, etc.) actually leaves the door open to more big schools.

I mean, TCU made the tourney at 16-14 and 8-10 in Big 12 play and had zero wins against top 25 RPI teams during the year - did they really deserve to be in the tourney over teams like SFA? That's a glaring example to me of when you take the small school teams with 30-4 records over a power five school that didn't do anything of substance during the year.

I agree that the committee should largely base these decisions off RPI/KPI, but you can't just look at that when it gets down to the last 8-10 teams in the field. If you put TCU and K-State side by side, the resume clearly favors K-State in every way other than the 13 spot difference in RPI. And, at that point, that's a pretty insignificant difference when factoring in the quality of K-State's wins vs. TCU's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: November 27, 2023, 10:09:18 AM »

Agree to disagree a bit on this one - I'd argue it's actually been trending in the opposite direction and what was stated as the most important factors earlier this year (not just the RPI/KPI, but also your recent matches, etc.) actually leaves the door open to more big schools.

I mean, TCU made the tourney at 16-14 and 8-10 in Big 12 play and had zero wins against top 25 RPI teams during the year - did they really deserve to be in the tourney over teams like SFA? That's a glaring example to me of when you take the small school teams with 30-4 records over a power five school that didn't do anything of substance during the year.

I agree that the committee should largely base these decisions off RPI/KPI, but you can't just look at that when it gets down to the last 8-10 teams in the field. If you put TCU and K-State side by side, the resume clearly favors K-State in every way other than the 13 spot difference in RPI. And, at that point, that's a pretty insignificant difference when factoring in the quality of K-State's wins vs. TCU's.

The stuff about TCU and K-State is true, but they don't look at schools head to head like that, maybe the last couple of teams but that's it. This also lends credence to my belief that K-State wasn't really close to getting in.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: November 27, 2023, 12:38:34 PM »

The stuff about TCU and K-State is true, but they don't look at schools head to head like that, maybe the last couple of teams but that's it. This also lends credence to my belief that K-State wasn't really close to getting in.

That's probably true - irritating, but probably true.

Online Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: November 28, 2023, 03:22:35 PM »
Big 12 Honors

First team: Carter
Second team: Bolding, Morris
Rookie team: Clinton

Online Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: December 01, 2023, 04:29:49 PM »
Carter is coming back for another year   :party:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: December 15, 2023, 09:35:11 AM »
Texas vs. Nebraska.. Honestly surprised at how dominant Texas was over Wisconsin last night.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Volleyball
« Reply #1365 on: December 15, 2023, 10:18:41 AM »
Both matches were bloodbaths

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: December 16, 2023, 02:18:36 PM »
Feels weird to say but I hope TX wins this thing or we will be hearing nub fans crowing about their natty for months.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: December 17, 2023, 02:04:59 AM »
Hook em

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: December 17, 2023, 04:04:20 PM »
Horns!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: December 17, 2023, 04:46:53 PM »
Bloodbath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: December 18, 2023, 12:14:59 AM »
It was nice to see Nebraska get rough ridin' hammered like that, a complete a total embarrassment on the biggest stage. I don't know if any of you saw the opening montage of that game, I flipped over during the first TV timeout of our basketball game, but John Cook is really feeling himself these days, even more than he has in the past.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: December 18, 2023, 09:57:27 AM »
Nice to know we beat the champs. That's cool.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: December 18, 2023, 12:06:26 PM »
It was nice to see Nebraska get rough ridin' hammered like that, a complete a total embarrassment on the biggest stage. I don't know if any of you saw the opening montage of that game, I flipped over during the first TV timeout of our basketball game, but John Cook is really feeling himself these days, even more than he has in the past.

Cook is almost universally viewed as "weird" in the VB coaching community. It was a while back, but at some point, he was opening pondering to anyone who would listen about the thought of switching sports because he felt like he was such a good coach that it would translate to just about any sport.

After the match yesterday, he made it a point to say that Texas won because it had a bunch of transfers, which was funny because the last time Nebraska had made the title game (2021) it was largely on the arm of Lexi Sun, who, coincidentally, was a transfer from... Texas.

He's a tool...

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: December 18, 2023, 12:59:39 PM »
He's the personification of ol Cornhole.

Once upon a time they looked down their noses at everyone in football. 

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: December 18, 2023, 02:06:26 PM »

Cook is almost universally viewed as "weird" in the VB coaching community. It was a while back, but at some point, he was opening pondering to anyone who would listen about the thought of switching sports because he felt like he was such a good coach that it would translate to just about any sport.

After the match yesterday, he made it a point to say that Texas won because it had a bunch of transfers, which was funny because the last time Nebraska had made the title game (2021) it was largely on the arm of Lexi Sun, who, coincidentally, was a transfer from... Texas.

He's a tool...
This checks out.. Akana that transferred from nub to texas also probably the hottest gal on texas' squad.