Author Topic: Volleyball  (Read 148571 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Volleyball
« Reply #1200 on: December 27, 2022, 12:04:51 PM »
There will be some portal movement, at least I hope. Haley Warner is the only player who doesn't have eligibility left. Returning an entire team who went 6-10 in conference doesn't seem like a winning formula. He'll want to bring in some of his own women.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: December 27, 2022, 12:12:31 PM »
There will be some portal movement, at least I hope. Haley Warner is the only player who doesn't have eligibility left. Returning an entire team who went 6-10 in conference doesn't seem like a winning formula. He'll want to bring in some of his own women.
Yes, Carter & Fernholz stay , find an experienced setter in the portal, build around those pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: December 27, 2022, 12:47:18 PM »
It's quite possible he's got connections to the club teams in the region. Stanford has recruited the area well over the years and Illinois has as well (not so much for Washington). No idea if he was responsible in getting any of those kids to Stanford/Illinois, but it's possible.

Also, to the point about where he was on our list of choices, I don't think he's ever been the No. 1 assistant (let alone the head coach), which isn't stellar (though it certainly doesn't mean he can't succeed). I'm not 100 percent certain about Illinois, but he definitely wasn't the No. 1 at either Stanford or Washington (which just hired their No. 1 assistant for the head job after their most recent head coach left for Minnesota).

It's also interesting that Mansfield was at Stanford under Dunning for nearly 15 years, then went to Illinois for 1 year (2016) under Kevin Hambly, who then got the Stanford job starting in 2017 after Dunning retired. But, Mansfield didn't follow Hambly back to Stanford. There certainly could be a very good reason for that, but, on the surface, it's a bit odd.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: December 27, 2022, 12:58:58 PM »
I’d peripherally seen uw hired their assistant as head coach a few days earlier. We’re they fighting for the uw job, loser got ksu?

https://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/92364/who-next-head-coach-washington

Also learned uw has beach volleyball. https://gohuskies.com/sports/womens-beach-volleyball?path=wbvball

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: December 27, 2022, 01:26:08 PM »
I’d peripherally seen uw hired their assistant as head coach a few days earlier. We’re they fighting for the uw job, loser got ksu?

Also learned uw has beach volleyball. https://gohuskies.com/sports/womens-beach-volleyball?path=wbvball
The #1 assistant @ UW had been there for 26 years as both a player & coach.  He wasn't leapfrogging her.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: December 27, 2022, 01:59:36 PM »
For what it's worth, the initial sentiment of the people on the volleyball message boards - the people who live and die for this sport - is that it's a good hire and than Mansfield was due for a head coaching gig.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: December 27, 2022, 02:20:46 PM »
For what it's worth, the initial sentiment of the people on the volleyball message boards - the people who live and die for this sport - is that it's a good hire and than Mansfield was due for a head coaching gig.

This is good.

Someone should show them pics/rendos of our new arena and see what they think as well!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: December 27, 2022, 04:22:13 PM »

No, he was not the lead assistant but as already indicated, that staff was exceptional, he has a lead assistant profile for every single job in America including Texas.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: December 27, 2022, 05:06:24 PM »
Mods change this thread to Salcat Volleyball

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: December 27, 2022, 05:14:09 PM »
Just exciting to have a new coach and new facility on the way  :ksu:

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: December 27, 2022, 08:00:40 PM »
Mods change this thread to Salcat Volleyball

Called it via DM. Jim McLaughlin left K-State for Washington now Mansfield leaving there for Manhattan.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: December 27, 2022, 08:38:51 PM »
Any idea how much this dude makes? I looked at the history on the old coach and it kind of surprised me how low it was.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: December 27, 2022, 09:13:44 PM »
Any idea how much this dude makes? I looked at the history on the old coach and it kind of surprised me how low it was.

For perspective, Jerrit Elliot at Texas, which just won the national title, makes $550k per year. If we pay above 200k per year, we're probably in the 90th percentile in the country.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: December 27, 2022, 10:04:55 PM »

Suzie? $200,000 was probably low given her experience, but within the sport, she had a decent salary. Mizzou went cheap with the guy they just fired, he had essentially zero experience and they paid him $150,000. I'd guess Mansfield will be somewhere around $175-$180

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: January 26, 2023, 04:51:35 PM »
https://www.kstatesports.com/staff-directory/fiona-fonoti/1565 new asst seems like a dece pickup for a first year HC

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: January 27, 2023, 12:18:18 PM »
The staff is definitely west coast heavy, but, presumably, Fonoti has midwest connections through playing at Nebraska and being at ISU for three years.

https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2023/1/13/mansfield-adds-astor-and-fonoti-to-volleyball-coaching-staff.aspx

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: July 01, 2023, 12:44:57 PM »
When does the new place open?

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: July 04, 2023, 07:33:53 PM »
When does the new place open?
They’re supposed to have camps in it next week

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: July 07, 2023, 02:50:50 PM »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: July 07, 2023, 03:01:28 PM »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: July 07, 2023, 04:17:28 PM »
No more excuses (aka Fritzs)...

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: July 08, 2023, 11:32:18 AM »
Okay, so now we have one of the nicest dedicated volleyball facilities in the country and our Olympic sports have consolidated their S&C and sports medicine into a fantastic venue. 

In this age of NIL, no more money needs to be spent on player/admin/S&C, training facilities at K-State outside of making sure they're kept up to date.  As soon as the 2nd phase of the track indoor is done, everyone will have nice stuff.   The only facilities projects from here on out need to be geared solely towards revenue generation from fan accommodations.  No more recruiting eye candy projects are needed at K-State.  That's kind of amazing thing to say, but I give a fist bump to Currie and an attaboy to Gene and team for taking the baton and continuing the momentum. 

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: July 10, 2023, 10:58:46 AM »
Season tix acquired   :excited:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 08:22:01 AM by Spaces »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: July 10, 2023, 07:44:26 PM »