Author Topic: Volleyball  (Read 151772 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Volleyball
« Reply #1175 on: December 18, 2022, 09:32:01 PM »
Not good, not good at all. We better hope Gene is able to pull off getting David Hunt from UT otherwise, this is bad, this is very bad.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: December 18, 2022, 09:37:51 PM »
Preparing for the volleyball equivalent of Pete Hughes...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: December 18, 2022, 11:16:24 PM »
I will say, there are several coaches that have a similar profile as Dawn, but none of them were alumni. I built her up because I've wanted her here for so long, then she went and won at UNLV, confirming what I thought. There are hires that can be made that can excite, let's hope Gene gets it done, we should know within the next 48 hours.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: December 19, 2022, 03:38:41 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: December 19, 2022, 08:58:32 PM »
I will say, there are several coaches that have a similar profile as Dawn, but none of them were alumni. I built her up because I've wanted her here for so long, then she went and won at UNLV, confirming what I thought. There are hires that can be made that can excite, let's hope Gene gets it done, we should know within the next 48 hours.
Pretty easy choice for the Mizzou AD to hire the same Head VB coach twice!!

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: December 21, 2022, 12:31:39 PM »
I assume the "Fired Coach Now Available" batsignal was sent straight to Mean Gene's office...

https://mgoblue.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster/coaches/mark-rosen/5723

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: December 22, 2022, 05:31:20 PM »

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: December 22, 2022, 08:44:05 PM »
No

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: December 22, 2022, 08:49:53 PM »
You would hope we can do better, what’s the hold up? OU just named their coach in 2 weeks time.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: December 22, 2022, 08:53:35 PM »
You would hope we can do better, what’s the hold up? OU just named their coach in 2 weeks time.
Pretty puzzling, really considering what they are walking into facilities wise.  Bridges need major rebuilding but the right coach can do that right away.  More interesting that I haven't seen a single player in the portal.  Don't know if that's good or bad.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: December 24, 2022, 12:59:00 AM »
The hold up is no one seems to want to work for Gene and he might be forced to short change candidates because donors are pissed at what happened to Suzie, even though, for the most part, it was fine.

The transfer portal action, or lack thereof is pretty crazy. Carter, Legrand, and Fernholz can get scholarship offers damn near anywhere.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: December 24, 2022, 10:38:28 AM »
could we steal creightons coach?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: December 24, 2022, 01:30:17 PM »
The hold up is no one seems to want to work for Gene…

Do you have an idea why? He seems like a pretty good boss from the outside.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: December 24, 2022, 10:50:41 PM »
The hold up is no one seems to want to work for Gene…

Do you have an idea why? He seems like a pretty good boss from the outside.

I'll start by saying that a lot of this is speculative. What's not speculative is that Suzie's firing was messy. She was told tournament or bust, clearly they busted. She apparently started missing meetings at the end of the year including what should have been the last meeting, so he did fire her via text because she supposedly didn't go to the last meeting. There are also rumors that she trashed her office. I don't know from Suzie's perspective why she felt so hard done but she does, and there are apparently key donors who share her feelings. There are also a group of people who see that we now only have one woman head coach in our athletic department and there are people holding the Iowa gender discrimination lawsuit, and the fallout from it, against him.
https://www.cjonline.com/story/sports/college/2017/05/11/new-k-state-ad-gene-taylor-oversaw-iowa-it-department-targeted-highly/16544551007/

I will reiterate that I don't know the nature of Dawn and Suzie's relationship, but I know they have one, at least did at one time. It might be as simple as she not wanting to follow Suzie, or maybe she feels like she doesn't want to work for Gene, or something else.

I don't have first hand knowledge if any of this is why Dawn decided not to come here after she had an offer or why we haven't hired a coach yet. I can tell y'all for a 100% fact that we've gotten multiple NOs, which knowing the pool we're fishing in, seems unacceptable.

What I do know is that we have traditionally spent similarly to most big, power confidence programs, there's no large spending gap for most programs, like there is in football. This in addition to moving into a new building, being a fixture in the top 25 of attendance, and making the NCAA tournament 18 out of the last 27 years. This is a very good job and we shouldn't be getting the hand stiffed by low major coaches and lifetime assistants.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: December 24, 2022, 11:03:54 PM »
Oh, good insight. This is volleyball/women’s sports specific, not generally. That was my confusion
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: December 25, 2022, 10:46:44 AM »
Who wouldn't want to work for Gene?  Once you're one of Gene's chosen one's you get long leashes, pay raises and contract extensions.  Gene's handed out contract extensions to his two hires that were frankly unwarranted in both circumstances.  In one case, after this past season, a substantial pay raise and extension was warranted, but prior, it was not warranted nor earned.  In the other case, it wasn't warranted or earned at all. 

I'm all for letting coaches like Susie throw their little tantrums and then showing them the door.  To me that just walks hand-in-hand with oscar's meltdown.  Coaches who believe that because at some point they had a level of success, they're entitled to a forever job.  In the vast majority of circumstances that's not how it works in the real world, and that's not how it works at a lot of schools, particularly Power 5 schools. 

Also, I'd tell any upset donors to get over it.  That's part of the fear of change culture that permeates K-State athletics donordom/fandom.  You keep a coach who has clearly slid, is mired in mediocrity because the thought of change is scary.  So, you just let mediocre coaches hang out year after year, drawing substantial salaries, working in nice offices and facilities, with constant access to perks and swag while they accomplish little.   

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: December 27, 2022, 10:10:04 AM »
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: December 27, 2022, 10:14:27 AM »
Seems p. good?

Hope he's awesome and gets a statue outside of the new arena.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: December 27, 2022, 10:22:58 AM »
Seems p. good?

Hope he's awesome and gets a statue outside of the new arena.
I know nothing, MIR do we #BurnItDown or do we love this hire?
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: December 27, 2022, 10:25:40 AM »
replaced a female coach with a male, we are watching you Gene.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: December 27, 2022, 10:31:40 AM »
He's spent a lot of time around elite programs.  Seems like Gene did his job.  Anxious to see the staff he assembles.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: December 27, 2022, 11:15:28 AM »
Given the circumstances - particularly the fact that the search took 30 days and, as Dax pointed out, that alone makes it clear we were rejected by multiple targets - I think it's an acceptable hire.

He comes from two blueblood programs (Stanford and Washington) and one traditionally very good program (Illinois). Obviously, being an assistant for 20+ years is a bit of a red flag and I'd argue this program merits a coach with prior head coaching experience.

In my view, his No. 1 priority is repairing relationships with the club teams in the region and attempting to create a pipeline. If he can do that - no small task given Suzie's antics in recent years - we should be in good shape to be an NCAA tourney team every year.

Fun tidbit - Mansfield's brother was just named the head coach at OU last week.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: December 27, 2022, 11:45:00 AM »
I was pretty clear that I wanted someone who's been successful in the first chair, but if you're going to get an assistant, this is a good one. He doesn't seem to have any direct local ties but that's okay, they can be established, his pedigree is good enough that the club coaches won't be hesitant to work with him. His hires will be important, his first opportunity to mend fences will be keeping Diana Loomis.

I can say for a fact, that he was at least the third choice.

replaced a female coach with a male, we are watching you Gene.
Yeah, again. He did offer at least two women. I thought it was funny that the release mentioned Jill Shields.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: December 27, 2022, 11:45:15 AM »
I didn't point out anything relative to the length of time it was taking.

I simply said let people throw their little tantrums, particularly if it's about the removal of a coach mired in mediocrity.  I also pointed out that people are dumb if they don't want to work for Gene because Gene's entire track record is that his chosen one's get raises, undeserved and unwarranted pre-emptive contract extensions and long leashes.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: December 27, 2022, 11:56:19 AM »
I strong sign of his recruiting chops will show in what we don't see in the portal over the next 24-72 hours.