Author Topic: Volleyball  (Read 148773 times)

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Volleyball
« Reply #1100 on: September 19, 2022, 09:24:17 AM »
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Volleyball
« Reply #1101 on: September 19, 2022, 09:25:56 AM »
After losing to both Rice and No. 17 Creighton this weekend, we finish the non-conference at 9-4. It's a pisser because we had a good chance at a quality win vs. Rice and blew a 2-0 lead. The passing continues to break down at various points in most of our matches and, when that happens, we lose the ability to use our middles most of the time and they've been the most efficient - by far - this year.

It's been a weird year - Carter has essentially been benched and hasn't played regularly for the last 2-3 weeks (and, to be fair to Fritz, Carter's numbers this year have been pretty bad in most matches). The frosh from Nebraska is hitting at a much, much better clip as Carter's replacement, but we are getting zero from the opposite hitters. When the passing breaks down, we're back to the OHs sending shots over that, most of the time, have no chance to land as kills.

Still, to be at 9-4 at this point given that our best player has regressed badly and we're playing a libero at setter is actually somewhat impressive. If Fritz can play .500 level ball in the Big 12, we should have a decent chance at an NCAA berth (though, as of now, we don't really have any high quality wins).

We're home against fringe top 25 KU on Saturday - will be insightful as to where we're likely headed the rest of the year.
Crazy game where you can have all of the firepower in the world & it still always boils down to serve & pass.  KU was rolling & now have hit the skids.  Will be an interesting match for sure.

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: September 19, 2022, 07:42:55 PM »
Maybe they should move Carter to OPP

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: September 19, 2022, 09:57:36 PM »
I think she's getting frustrated and not making good decisions caused by a whole bunch of out of system volleyball.  It's a tough way to play the game.  Not sure how a right handed OPP would fare in conference play.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: September 20, 2022, 02:38:22 PM »
I think she's getting frustrated and not making good decisions caused by a whole bunch of out of system volleyball.  It's a tough way to play the game.  Not sure how a right handed OPP would fare in conference play.

Bingo

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: September 20, 2022, 04:34:53 PM »

Bingo

I think there's truth to that, but it's not like there wasn't a bunch of out of system play last year too and she managed to overcome that (most of the time). Personally, I think there's something else going on (whatever that might be).

But, it all falls in line with a Fritz team - never know what the hell will happen in any given match (including the star player of the past two years  not playing in favor of a lightly recruited freshman).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: September 21, 2022, 08:29:34 AM »

Bingo

I think there's truth to that, but it's not like there wasn't a bunch of out of system play last year too and she managed to overcome that (most of the time). Personally, I think there's something else going on (whatever that might be).

But, it all falls in line with a Fritz team - never know what the hell will happen in any given match (including the star player of the past two years  not playing in favor of a lightly recruited freshman).

I have a theory but I don't want to say it. I'll use this as a placeholder though.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 21, 2022, 09:08:49 AM »
Culture

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: September 23, 2022, 01:40:53 PM »
Those are fantastic, give credit to Suzie for not letting Nike outfit us in those detached sleeve horrors they have everyone else in.

Where's Aliyah in those photos?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 23, 2022, 03:16:29 PM »
Those are fantastic, give credit to Suzie for not letting Nike outfit us in those detached sleeve horrors they have everyone else in.

Where's Aliyah in those photos?

Probably skipped the photo session to work on her inevitable transfer...

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 23, 2022, 05:28:28 PM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 24, 2022, 05:40:31 PM »
down 2-1 to the hawks  :runaway:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 24, 2022, 06:33:51 PM »
Does Sue get a season in the new arena?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 24, 2022, 06:36:14 PM »
Sue doesn't have a wikipedia page.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: September 24, 2022, 06:40:09 PM »
Might be time to create one
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: September 29, 2022, 03:02:23 PM »
Jesus Christ  :flush:

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 29, 2022, 03:18:03 PM »

What? Being swept by Tech?

I'd argue that wasn't too surprising (Tech's probably an NCAA team this year - bubble for sure). If/when we lose vs. Iowa State and WVU in the next week, that'll definitely be worth a "well, there's always next year..." (except it's Fritz, so not really).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 29, 2022, 09:40:32 PM »

I'd argue that wasn't too surprising (Tech's probably an NCAA team this year - bubble for sure). If/when we lose vs. Iowa State and WVU in the next week, that'll definitely be worth a "well, there's always next year..." (except it's Fritz, so not really).

The fact that you're cool with getting swept by a team that came off back to back 5 setters against West Virginia and Texas Rio Grande Valley, who lost, 3-1, to Oral Roberts, is all we need to know about the state of this program. We're probably the worst program in the conference.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: September 29, 2022, 10:19:31 PM »

The fact that you're cool with getting swept by a team that came off back to back 5 setters against West Virginia and Texas Rio Grande Valley, who lost, 3-1, to Oral Roberts, is all we need to know about the state of this program. We're probably the worst program in the conference.

Didn't say I was cool with it, but it was on the road against a team that will make and/or be close to making NCAAs (they made it last year). Fritz has been mostly losing those types of matches for most of the past decade.

I wouldn't say we're the worst program (especially given the upcoming new facilities), but that's certainly a potential reality in a few years if Mean Gene won't dump Fritz. And, considering the extension/raise he just gave Hughes for a .360 league record after 4 years and zero finishes better than 7th in the Big 12, it's hard to see him getting rid of Fritz anytime soon.

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: September 29, 2022, 10:22:02 PM »
Hardly any production on the RS. They started Carter there against Tech and sub Warner back in after 9 swings. If they want Carter to stay at the position, they shouldn't sub her out. Also, I think the freshman setter should be playing more.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 30, 2022, 08:30:44 AM »
Warner is hitting .120 on the year and has hit above .200 in 4 of 13 matches. Since the Mizzou match nearly a month ago - easily her best of the year - she's hit .000 or negative in four of seven matches, which is just inexplicable. I'm sure Fritz expected more out of a top 25 national recruit, though we're probably seeing why she barely played at Florida.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: October 02, 2022, 08:36:17 AM »
Warner is hitting .120 on the year and has hit above .200 in 4 of 13 matches. Since the Mizzou match nearly a month ago - easily her best of the year - she's hit .000 or negative in four of seven matches, which is just inexplicable. I'm sure Fritz expected more out of a top 25 national recruit, though we're probably seeing why she barely played at Florida.
I'd focus on 1st & 2nd contact on this team before any attackers hitting %.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: October 03, 2022, 01:47:12 PM »
I'd focus on 1st & 2nd contact on this team before any attackers hitting %.

That's fair, but at some point, you've got to at least put a few down...

I only saw the third set in the sweep of ISU yesterday and the passing in that game alone went from okay in the first 5 minutes of the set to beyond awful for the next 5-10 minutes and then back to somewhere between acceptable and good for the last 5 minutes. Still, the passing was good enough to at least get Bolding/Fernholz some swings. And Myers had another solid match. 11 aces in three sets - not too shabby.

Looks like they tried out the freshman from Turkey on the right side for the first two sets and then went back to Warner for the last part of the second and the third (and, of course, she hit .000 on eight swings with two kills).