Author Topic: Volleyball  (Read 150681 times)

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Volleyball
« Reply #1075 on: August 24, 2022, 04:07:23 PM »
Only 13 players on the roster?  They've carried up to 20 at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only 12 scholarships, so 13-15 is a good range. After that, you could argue it's too many.
KU carries 19, Iowa St 20......13-15 hasn't been "normal" for years.  Many athletes will take "earn it" opportunities at P5 schools to be part of something potentially special.

Roster size fight!

Nebraska - the preseason No. 1 team in the country - has 14 on its roster.

12, 13, 15, 20 - who cares? Fritz has a bunch of problems with her program and the number of walk-ons isn't remotely close to being at the top of the list.

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: August 24, 2022, 08:19:23 PM »
The starting setter from last year quit…pretty late. She trained in the spring. Freshman setter should be good but how soon. They have Hinkle as the backup. I think they should run a 5-1 with the freshman but who knows

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: August 26, 2022, 04:08:48 PM »
Went with Hinkle and the 5-1 and pretty easily beat Sam Houston 3-0 (one of three was close). Pretty solid distribution of swings/kills as well. Hopefully that'll continue tonight against NC State (they swept FAMU this morning).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: August 26, 2022, 10:30:10 PM »
Guys! Hinkle was awesome! Fernholtz, Baka, and Boulding gave enough balance so they couldn't cheat on Aliyah. Every time they did we made them pay. NCSU is far from the best team we'll play, but that was promising.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: August 26, 2022, 10:38:56 PM »
Why isn’t volleyball more popular, especially women’s? It has it all.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: August 26, 2022, 11:39:48 PM »
Did our volleyball coach screw over one of dirty deeds' kids or something?

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Volleyball
« Reply #1081 on: August 28, 2022, 09:47:23 PM »

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: August 28, 2022, 09:52:43 PM »
Why isn’t volleyball more popular, especially women’s? It has it all.
It's an amazing ballet when executed correctly.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: August 28, 2022, 09:57:50 PM »
Cat VB is playing a ridiculously soft pre season schedule for a P5.  MIR weigh in?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: August 28, 2022, 10:14:50 PM »
It's about what it normally is when we don't get invited to one of those tournaments we have no business in with a top 10 Big 10 team, a top 10 Pac 12 team, and either Hawaii or a top 25 SEC team. I'm glad Suzie had the foresight this year not to do that.

I think she's determined that we can get in the tournament near or sightly below .500 so she determined that she wasn't going to let us get brained in the noncon. I also think she was anticipating playing a freshman setter.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: August 29, 2022, 02:17:17 PM »
I mentioned this before, but the schedule is deceptively not soft. If you look at the names, one would think it's cake, but it isn't. FAMU, UCF, Creighton and Rice all made NCAAs last year. UCF was a hair away from beating UCLA to make the Sweet 16 and Creighton was a top 16 overall seed. NC State was receiving votes in the preseason poll. The rest of the opponents aren't "name" schools, but are all respectable, 20-wins a year type of programs (if not from Power 5 conferences). The exceptions are actually two of the "name" schools - Mizzou and Rutgers were both absolutely terrible last year.

If Fritz can go 9-4 or 10-3 with this non-conference and then be at/close to .500 in league play, she will absolutely get another NCAA bid (especially if they can beat Creighton and UCF).

Will that happen? Who knows - it's a Fritz team, so I'm sure we'll lose several we shouldn't and sneak in an unexpected win or two.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: August 29, 2022, 09:59:59 PM »
I can't believe NCSU received votes, they stink. FAMU looked as booty as one would think. Volleyball polls are utterly useless.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: August 30, 2022, 12:32:02 PM »
I can't believe NCSU received votes, they stink. FAMU looked as booty as one would think. Volleyball polls are utterly useless.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but the poll certainly skews toward historical performance/stature. Rice and UCF are both receiving votes in the first regular season poll and Creighton is No. 17. Cats will also play Texas (No. 1), Baylor (No. 9) and KU (No. 20).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: August 30, 2022, 02:13:24 PM »
I've thought they were useless for a very long time. It's really tough to see matches, they just don't have the availability. With men's and women's basketball, they play more games but there are enough of them televised and spread out throughout the week where you can see plenty of matches. There were no matches on ESPN+ yesterday. Today has a good amount but there's only 5 on Thursday and 7 on Friday. This gets worse when conference play starts. It's just too difficult to watch enough teams and matches to have a clue as to what the best 25 are. I think the RPI is flawed, but once it's running it's a better indicator of where the teams should be.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: August 30, 2022, 02:37:25 PM »
I've thought they were useless for a very long time. It's really tough to see matches, they just don't have the availability. With men's and women's basketball, they play more games but there are enough of them televised and spread out throughout the week where you can see plenty of matches. There were no matches on ESPN+ yesterday. Today has a good amount but there's only 5 on Thursday and 7 on Friday. This gets worse when conference play starts. It's just too difficult to watch enough teams and matches to have a clue as to what the best 25 are. I think the RPI is flawed, but once it's running it's a better indicator of where the teams should be.
https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/2022/04/18/purdues-shondell-asks-why-volleyball-doesnt-receive-more-exposure/9532406002/

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: August 30, 2022, 03:53:15 PM »

That's true for the general public, but the coaches can (and do) pretty much get video of whatever they want. Because of the club system, most coaches are also acutely aware of the best players in the country, which informs how they vote - especially early in the year. To be certain, there are coaches who vote that don't take that poll terribly seriously. But there are also plenty of coaches who do - for the very reasons you shared - they understand the importance of the poll being a tool that's reflective of the current state of volleyball given that both the number of fans are limited as well as the ability of fans to access matches. I'm not going to say it never does/has never happened, but from my experiences, I'd find it much more unlikely that the crap you see with the football/b-ball coaches poll (SIDs/managers filling it out for coaches, etc.) also happens in volleyball - certainly not to the same degree.

Again, not saying that the poll is flawless, but I'd put more value on the VB poll than football or basketball - mostly because the coaches take it more seriously and accept it as a relatively important responsibility.

As for the RPI, it is what it is - though I imagine the true VB geeks would argue that Pablo/Rich Kern are better. Right now, they've got K-State projected to finish in the low 40s based on their win probability formula (definitely a bit early for it to have a ton of validity).

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: August 30, 2022, 03:55:10 PM »
Also worth pointing out that Pablo/RichKern has K-State's strength of schedule projected at No. 15 in the country (though that will obviously fluctuate depending on how the season goes).

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: September 02, 2022, 01:03:40 PM »
Beat a not-very-good Syracuse team 3-1 yesterday - from the box score, the OHs were on fire and there were very few swings for everyone else. 

Face a tougher-than-it-looks North Florida team today that had No. 13 Florida on the ropes last week. Then, a top 30ish UCF team tomorrow - should be the best barometer of the potential for this team so far in the season.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: September 03, 2022, 10:36:52 PM »
Beat a not-very-good Syracuse team 3-1 yesterday - from the box score, the OHs were on fire and there were very few swings for everyone else. 

Face a tougher-than-it-looks North Florida team today that had No. 13 Florida on the ropes last week. Then, a top 30ish UCF team tomorrow - should be the best barometer of the potential for this team so far in the season.
Saint Thomas Aquinas would give Syracuse a game.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: September 11, 2022, 04:03:43 PM »
Happy to see Dawn get a great win against KU this weekend.  Grabbed the Texas setter out of the portal & they looked great.  KU had been playing really well. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: September 11, 2022, 06:50:41 PM »
Stop triggering me

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: September 12, 2022, 01:05:19 PM »
Stop triggering me
It's just such a no brainer. 

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: September 13, 2022, 12:24:09 PM »
Stop triggering me

Maybe we can talk the 12 volleyball season tix holders into all emailing Mean Gene to let him know that K-State does, in fact, have former student-athletes in the coaching ranks. Then, he might avoid giving Fritz a Hughes-esque extension and then Dawn can finally come home (unlike Rob Vaughn).

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: September 13, 2022, 01:31:16 PM »
Stop triggering me

Maybe we can talk the 12 volleyball season tix holders into all emailing Mean Gene to let him know that K-State does, in fact, have former student-athletes in the coaching ranks. Then, he might avoid giving Fritz a Hughes-esque extension and then Dawn can finally come home (unlike Rob Vaughn).
You're correct.  The Hughes contract should scare every KState VB fan.  It's going to be a LONG season.  They don't have any experience at the setter position and it got exposed against Loyola Chicago.  22 assists on 99 attempts vs 22 assists on 58 attempts.  It's not Hinkle's fault. The frosh setter that transferred to Missouri St can't get on the floor there either.  I don't believe Cat VB can be successful without a real connection to the KC club scene.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: September 18, 2022, 09:42:52 PM »
After losing to both Rice and No. 17 Creighton this weekend, we finish the non-conference at 9-4. It's a pisser because we had a good chance at a quality win vs. Rice and blew a 2-0 lead. The passing continues to break down at various points in most of our matches and, when that happens, we lose the ability to use our middles most of the time and they've been the most efficient - by far - this year.

It's been a weird year - Carter has essentially been benched and hasn't played regularly for the last 2-3 weeks (and, to be fair to Fritz, Carter's numbers this year have been pretty bad in most matches). The frosh from Nebraska is hitting at a much, much better clip as Carter's replacement, but we are getting zero from the opposite hitters. When the passing breaks down, we're back to the OHs sending shots over that, most of the time, have no chance to land as kills.

Still, to be at 9-4 at this point given that our best player has regressed badly and we're playing a libero at setter is actually somewhat impressive. If Fritz can play .500 level ball in the Big 12, we should have a decent chance at an NCAA berth (though, as of now, we don't really have any high quality wins).

We're home against fringe top 25 KU on Saturday - will be insightful as to where we're likely headed the rest of the year.