Author Topic: Volleyball  (Read 148625 times)

Offline salcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Volleyball
« Reply #1000 on: December 04, 2021, 07:39:34 PM »
Naturally, Suzie's mentor gets KU to the Sweet 16 with upsets of two top 20 teams.

And, presumably, Suzie will lose at least a couple of key players to the portal during the offseason.
KU doing it with Kansas kids who had KSU bloodlines.  Embarrassing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did we recruit them?

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: December 04, 2021, 08:18:08 PM »
Naturally, Suzie's mentor gets KU to the Sweet 16 with upsets of two top 20 teams.

And, presumably, Suzie will lose at least a couple of key players to the portal during the offseason.

Did we recruit them?
I'd hope so since everyone else did.  Bien & Crawford decided they'd stay home, which ended up being KU.  The real jewel is lightly recruited setter Cam Turner from Topeka Seaman.  You could already argue that she's the best setter in the conference.  She just took over the job 3 weeks ago.  If you get a chance to watch their Sweet 16 match do it.  She's a special player.  Stupid athletic

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: December 06, 2021, 07:43:03 AM »

I have several close friends very much ITK relative to MW VB.   Just some huge misses and unfavorable experiences with K-State in the process.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 06, 2021, 12:00:54 PM »
In the landscape of P5 volleyball, where will the new arena and training facility put us?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: December 06, 2021, 12:49:13 PM »
In the landscape of P5 volleyball, where will the new arena and training facility put us?

There are some volleyball only facilities but not a ton. Most stand alone facilities are converted old basketball facilities. KU actually has one of the most notable stand alone facilities specifically built for volleyball. It's notable in that it's their second one. Their first volleyball only facility was built in the 90's, their latest one is just two years old. I haven't seen it so I can't speak to how nice it is. I do know it was built in 8 months which, to me, gives up real pole barn vibes which is what their first building essentially was.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: December 06, 2021, 01:16:21 PM »

There are some volleyball only facilities but not a ton. Most stand alone facilities are converted old basketball facilities. KU actually has one of the most notable stand alone facilities specifically built for volleyball. It's notable in that it's their second one. Their first volleyball only facility was built in the 90's, their latest one is just two years old. I haven't seen it so I can't speak to how nice it is. I do know it was built in 8 months which, to me, gives up real pole barn vibes which is what their first building essentially was.

I've probably been in around 30 DI facilities across the country and our new home should comfortably put us in the top 25.

Having said that, to MIR's point, probably half of the D1 facilities across the country are complete crap. Of the other half, most are playing in either current b-ball primary arenas or old arenas no longer in use for b-ball that have been converted for VB. I'm sure it's not as bad as it was in the past, but Mississippi State played their matches in a rodeo arena that had a dirt floor. It would be the equivalent of K-State playing in the Ag school's Weber Arena.

Why does that matter? While Ahearn certainly wasn't in the top 25 facilities-wise, it was no excuse for Suzie to suck at her job. There are top 25 programs with worse facilities than Ahearn and it shouldn't have been allowed to be her crux for being bad at her job for the better part of the past decade.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: December 06, 2021, 01:57:00 PM »

I've probably been in around 30 DI facilities across the country and our new home should comfortably put us in the top 25.

Having said that, to MIR's point, probably half of the D1 facilities across the country are complete crap. Of the other half, most are playing in either current b-ball primary arenas or old arenas no longer in use for b-ball that have been converted for VB. I'm sure it's not as bad as it was in the past, but Mississippi State played their matches in a rodeo arena that had a dirt floor. It would be the equivalent of K-State playing in the Ag school's Weber Arena.

Why does that matter? While Ahearn certainly wasn't in the top 25 facilities-wise, it was no excuse for Suzie to suck at her job. There are top 25 programs with worse facilities than Ahearn and it shouldn't have been allowed to be her crux for being bad at her job for the better part of the past decade.

From what I've heard too, Suzie chose Ahearn as opposed to Bramlage.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 06, 2021, 03:46:09 PM »

From what I've heard too, Suzie chose Ahearn as opposed to Bramlage.

It was actually quite unique. Yeah, not having AC wasn't great, but playing in that weirdo configuration actually gave them a bit of a competitive advantage. Maybe not a huge advantage, but one nevertheless. One college coach told me it was the most unique setting for college VB they had been in (and they meant it in a good way). Amenities aside, it's a lot better than playing in a 12k arena with 1,000 fans that feels incredibly empty/sterile.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 06, 2021, 03:49:30 PM »
I enjoyed going to vb games at Ahearn.. Bramlage two thumbs down for vb

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 06, 2021, 04:18:06 PM »
There will be zero excuses related to facilities once they're in the new building.

It will be top notch in every respect and with  access to the Olympic training facility right next door, and the training table just across the parking lot in the WSC.    K-State will have one of the best facilities experiences for VB in the country.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: December 06, 2021, 04:28:05 PM »

I agree but if there were complaints about Ahearn, she had other options.  The new facility will clearly be light years beyond either though.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 08, 2021, 10:04:47 AM »

I agree but if there were complaints about Ahearn, she had other options.  The new facility will clearly be light years beyond either though.
I hope we are looking @ Creighton's DJamer Sokol Arena as a blueprint.  Something similar would be perfect.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 08, 2021, 12:17:59 PM »
So her seat is incredibly hot once that facility is done right?

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: December 08, 2021, 12:55:42 PM »
This place isn't too shabby either.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: December 08, 2021, 12:59:25 PM »
This place isn't too shabby either.

Yeah - that place is kind of what Ahearn could have been had they actually made an effort. It's weird as hell, but in an endearing kind of way. And, it's loud as hell too.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: December 08, 2021, 01:05:19 PM »
So her seat is incredibly hot once that facility is done right?

We have coaches in women's b-ball, both golf programs and soccer who have demonstrated they suck and are still around (in some cases, for 20+ years). Then, arguably, we have coaches in men's b-ball and rowing (a thankless job if ever there was one) who coulda/woulda/shoulda been let go too.

So, who knows. K-State is one of the few schools in the country that apparently believes in tenure for its Olympic sport coaches regardless of their performance.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: December 08, 2021, 10:33:47 PM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: December 09, 2021, 01:09:34 PM »
No more vapor ware, or drawings, there's now officially moving dirt and soon a real building to recruit to.

Everybody at K-State has nice stuff.   It's time to start expecting more and to stop allowing coaches to just hang around for years and years and years.

I get that they don't have the biggest budgets yada yada yada, but they have plenty.   Time to start doing something with it.

My concern is K-State is going to be one of those schools that invests tens of millions dollars into stuff, and nobody wins anything.   

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: December 09, 2021, 02:12:42 PM »
No more vapor ware, or drawings, there's now officially moving dirt and soon a real building to recruit to.

Everybody at K-State has nice stuff.   It's time to start expecting more and to stop allowing coaches to just hang around for years and years and years.

I get that they don't have the biggest budgets yada yada yada, but they have plenty.   Time to start doing something with it.

My concern is K-State is going to be one of those schools that invests tens of millions dollars into stuff, and nobody wins anything.

I will be interested to see how things go once OU and Texas leave. The conference will be tough, but I think it opens it up at the top in many sports.

For football, it's very possible we will have an autobid into the CFP by that time as well. Which means we could be competing within our division with the likes of Texas Tech, OSU, BYU, Baylor and TCU play for a chance at the CFP yearly.

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: December 09, 2021, 02:14:52 PM »

It should be a tremendous help in recruiting the next volleyball coach.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: December 09, 2021, 02:37:39 PM »

I agree with all of this

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: December 09, 2021, 08:30:06 PM »

I agree with all of this

Me too and it's time to bring Dawn home.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: December 09, 2021, 08:30:58 PM »
Texas is about to saddle Washington with an all time choke job.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: December 10, 2021, 09:39:48 AM »

That is obviously wrong.  Gene and his friends are winning $$ daily.  I also imagine the GC and subs who build this crap are also likely feeling like winners as well.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: December 10, 2021, 03:02:14 PM »

That is obviously wrong.  Gene and his friends are winning $$ daily.  I also imagine the GC and subs who build this crap are also likely feeling like winners as well.

I promise you that Gene cares about this as much as you and most K-Stater. The mediocrity isn't intentional, just gross ineffectiveness.