Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1876 on: February 15, 2020, 05:28:35 PM »
Reid
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: February 15, 2020, 05:29:42 PM »
Think we’re going Sandi Reid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: February 15, 2020, 05:30:37 PM »
Riley Reid is the obvious answer, based on the feedback.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: February 16, 2020, 10:22:52 AM »
Name it after your best human friend just to mess with them.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: February 16, 2020, 11:15:14 AM »
i think that nacho is a good name for that pup

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: February 18, 2020, 05:19:53 PM »
You guys, my pup is like, pretty good at being off leash? Like, REALLY good about 95% of the time. But if he sees a rabbit or something he'll run off till he loses it (he's not very good at actually catching it). I've been training him by keeping a fuckton of treats on me and when I call him and he comes back, I give him one.

Is 95% about as high as it can get outside of police dogs? Or is that 5% chance not worth the risk of having him run off?

Also, this is never in the city, only out in the sticks.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: February 18, 2020, 06:07:11 PM »
My experience which is super limited is that even very headstrong dogs won’t go to far from you in an unfamiliar place.

But if they come back on command when they are having a good time that is pretty good

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: February 18, 2020, 06:27:13 PM »
But I’m also doing the treats in my pocket to reward any and all good girl times

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: February 18, 2020, 06:42:54 PM »
You guys, my pup is like, pretty good at being off leash? Like, REALLY good about 95% of the time. But if he sees a rabbit or something he'll run off till he loses it (he's not very good at actually catching it). I've been training him by keeping a fuckton of treats on me and when I call him and he comes back, I give him one.

Is 95% about as high as it can get outside of police dogs? Or is that 5% chance not worth the risk of having him run off?

Also, this is never in the city, only out in the sticks.

impulse control is hard for younger dogs.  100% or close to it is very possible, but probably not under 1 year of age (i mean you can, but it's probably more hardcore than you want to do for something like this, but it's totally possible if it's something important.).  and a little hard under 2.

you can probably get there with just positive reinforcement training, but adding negative reinforcement will make it much faster.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: September 17, 2020, 12:07:49 PM »
I think I'm going to make an appointment to have my 15 year wienie dog put down.  I've been to the vet's website multiple times but haven't scheduled it yet. He's having seizures more and more often.  He has severe separation anxiety when he can't find me, which is a lot because of his blindness and dementia. He's the only dog I've ever had in my adult life and the thought of putting him down instead of letting him die naturally is tough for me.  I don't know how to determine that his quality of life is too diminished to justify ending it.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: September 17, 2020, 12:10:35 PM »
You’re doing the right thing, friend. It’s a super tough decision, but we had to do the same thing 6 months ago for Mrs Waco’s 15 year old. Had the same issues and just looked miserable. I know he’s in a better place now vs what he was going through.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: September 17, 2020, 12:11:23 PM »
Also, sorry to hear you’re going through this.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: September 17, 2020, 12:12:41 PM »
Thanks, bud.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: September 17, 2020, 12:24:15 PM »
Very sad, I feel for you bud.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: September 17, 2020, 04:31:57 PM »
I think I'm going to make an appointment to have my 15 year wienie dog put down.  I've been to the vet's website multiple times but haven't scheduled it yet. He's having seizures more and more often.  He has severe separation anxiety when he can't find me, which is a lot because of his blindness and dementia. He's the only dog I've ever had in my adult life and the thought of putting him down instead of letting him die naturally is tough for me.  I don't know how to determine that his quality of life is too diminished to justify ending it.

it really sucks but it's part of the responsibility of owning pets.  we sign up for it when we take them into our homes.  i've had to deal with it a few years ago myself.  definitely hard, but just think about all of the good times you guys had together.
i'll just tell you this, you'll know when it's time.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Dogs
« Reply #1891 on: September 17, 2020, 05:17:20 PM »
I’m not a pet person but I definitely understand pet grief is real and it sucks like it’s a family member, because they really are.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: September 17, 2020, 05:17:25 PM »
Yeah. It is awful but what is best.

Kc has some places that come to your house and put them down wherever you want. My mom did it and it was awesome.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: September 17, 2020, 06:40:45 PM »

Kc has some places that come to your house and put them down wherever you want. My mom did it and it was awesome.

Wish I would have done this. Our vet is in Leawood and she wanted him buried at her families place in Shawnee. That was a long drive to the spot. Wouldn’t suggest it.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: September 17, 2020, 07:48:52 PM »
IC, my condolences for you and your little buddy.  We had to do the same for our cocker spaniel, as he had the same issues with the seizures.  It was hard on my wife, but a kind way to go as my wife was with snoopy when the vet gave him the injection.   
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: September 18, 2020, 04:01:18 PM »
damn i'm really sorry IC.  that's rough.

Coincidentally, my sister put down her 15 year old wiener dog a few weeks ago -- also was having seizures.

My OTHER sister had to take her 3 year old wiener dog in to the vet a week or so ago because he slipped a disc in his back.  For the last couple of weeks, he'd been on strict bedrest because he had like 15 staples in his back.  It was sad and also kind of funny at the same time.  Little hunchback.

I love those little, long sunsabitches.  Putting them down is devastating -- really sorry.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: September 18, 2020, 04:03:00 PM »
I’m not a pet person but I definitely understand pet grief is real and it sucks like it’s a family member, because they really are.

Uhhh...you sound like someone who wants Blinky to haunt you from beyond the grave.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: September 18, 2020, 04:40:16 PM »
Thanks, DQ.

I have an appointment for Monday afternoon.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: September 18, 2020, 04:43:33 PM »

Wish I would have done this. Our vet is in Leawood and she wanted him buried at her families place in Shawnee. That was a long drive to the spot. Wouldn’t suggest it.

I’ll never take another dog to the vet.

They just did it in the dog bed with all of us there, no hurry, then they carried her out in a wicker basket wrapped in a blanket. Made a little paw print ornament.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: September 24, 2020, 12:14:50 AM »
First things first, I'm really sorry IC.

I had to take my dog to the vet today because he has a tail that sticks up really high and bounces around while he walks/gallops around and it really incapsulates his personality. But he had it tucked between his legs for a few hours and would yip anytime I touched it. Apparently this is something that happens to dogs if they swim in cold water for a while? I had him out at the lake yesterday and the vet said it happens a lot, especially to hunting dogs who rummage around in cold water for a while.

Never heard of it. Just wanted to let everyone know in case it happens to them. Not worth the $80 to have the vet tell me that when they just gave me some pain meds for him, supposed to be fine after 2 days.