« Reply #1475 on: January 18, 2017, 11:22:12 AM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1476 on: January 20, 2017, 12:35:46 PM »
Bought Payton a #longbone (sans steak) last night.  The manufacturer calls it a meaty mammoth bone (shout to Tramaine).  It's like the regular bones she likes but 3x the size.  On the regular bones, she gets after them pretty hard and I feel like I need to take it back before she tries to eat the whole thing.  I give it back to her day after day until she's chewed it down to fragments she's not interested in anymore.

So my thought was that with the longbone, she'd realize there's no chance she could eat the whole thing and just eat a reasonable amount, and come back to it later w/o me having to repossess it a bunch of times.  Should that work?  Will the size of this thing be problematic, or is it just more of a good thing?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: January 20, 2017, 12:47:27 PM »
payton appears a bit pigeon toed

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: January 20, 2017, 01:10:27 PM »
i like the way she's eyeing the long bone.  she's a pretty determined animal in her own right.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: January 20, 2017, 01:12:34 PM »
#longbone authorized.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: January 20, 2017, 01:19:47 PM »
Dexter doesn't have much of a chewing instinct. He does have that bite and rip/ shake instinct down though. We were playing tug of war last night with his rope toy. Once he started to tire, I let him have control of the toy. He went to shake the rope and smacked himself in the forehead with the knotted end that wasn't in his mouth. I got the "wtf, man?" look, he dropped the rope, and walked out of the living room to go lay down in my bed. It was sad and adorable at the same time.

This story is related to the #longbone above. I wish I could find more toys for him to play with. The only things he shows interest in the majority of the time are bully sticks and stuffed animals.

He has stopped the car-peeing for now. I purchased a different enzyme based cleaner than what I was using and I think that got rid of his previous pee smells. He seems to be enjoying car rides more now, as well. I think he's stopped associating them with being left at the shelter and now thinks of them as what happens before he gets to go play with his friend.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: January 20, 2017, 01:30:15 PM »
This story is related to the #longbone above. I wish I could find more toys for him to play with. The only things he shows interest in the majority of the time are bully sticks and stuffed animals.

Payton isn't into toys either, at least not as they're to be used.  She doesn't do the bite/pull thing at all; all those toys are worthless other than for things to chew on.  She chews on the parts humans are to hold because they're easier to mouf grip.  She doesn't fetch for crap, but likes playing with fetching dogs and being a linebacker when the other dog tries to take the ball back to their human.

So far, I like what I'm seeing from her and this longbone.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: January 20, 2017, 01:31:29 PM »
Linebacker dogs are my favorite, such crapheads
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: January 20, 2017, 01:32:46 PM »
I think she's still a little freaked by the mammoth-ness.  Instead of propping it up with her hands and biting the top like she does regular bones, she's still keeping her body as far from it as possible while chewing it up.

This was when I put it down.  She's inched a little closer, but is still both aggressively chewing it and keeping her distance now.

https://twitter.com/TrimGoEMAW/status/822522961672294400

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: January 20, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »
Linebacker dogs are my favorite, such crapheads

Her best friend here is more refined and is confused why Payton won't play with the ball like normal, but is adapting to playing Payton's style.  They have a good time out there.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: January 20, 2017, 01:38:22 PM »

Payton isn't into toys either, at least not as they're to be used.  She doesn't do the bite/pull thing at all; all those toys are worthless other than for things to chew on.  She chews on the parts humans are to hold because they're easier to mouf grip.  She doesn't fetch for crap, but likes playing with fetching dogs and being a linebacker when the other dog tries to take the ball back to their human.

So far, I like what I'm seeing from her and this longbone.

Dexter did not fetch at all for a while either. I had to coach him up. I started with a stuffed squirrel that he liked. I would take if from him and throw it, wait for him to come back to the couch, steal the squirrel back, get him excited about it, and throw it again. We did that for a while until he started bringing the toy back to me. Once he figured out the return part of it, we moved outdoors and started the process over with a nylon mesh frisbee toy designed for dogs. Fetch is one of his favorite activities now. It's one of my favorites too because he's athletic as crap but still uncoordinated.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: January 20, 2017, 01:41:07 PM »
She's inched a little closer, but is still both aggressively chewing it and keeping her distance now.

She's figured out the longbone's got nothing for her and is mauling it now.

https://twitter.com/TrimGoEMAW/status/822528423687954432

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: January 20, 2017, 01:44:05 PM »
Dexter did not fetch at all for a while either. I had to coach him up. I started with a stuffed squirrel that he liked. I would take if from him and throw it, wait for him to come back to the couch, steal the squirrel back, get him excited about it, and throw it again. We did that for a while until he started bringing the toy back to me. Once he figured out the return part of it, we moved outdoors and started the process over with a nylon mesh frisbee toy designed for dogs. Fetch is one of his favorite activities now. It's one of my favorites too because he's athletic as crap but still uncoordinated.

I haven't found anything she likes to keep in her mouth or really anywhere on her for long enough to warrant going to get it if I take it and throw it.  For a little bit, the squeaky football worked, but she lost interest in the ball entirely after a couple days.  Also, her instinct when she gets possession of anything from anywhere/one is to take it back to her bed, not back to where it came from.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: January 20, 2017, 02:06:45 PM »

I haven't found anything she likes to keep in her mouth or really anywhere on her for long enough to warrant going to get it if I take it and throw it.  For a little bit, the squeaky football worked, but she lost interest in the ball entirely after a couple days.  Also, her instinct when she gets possession of anything from anywhere/one is to take it back to her bed, not back to where it came from.

Dexter did that too when I started trying to teach him fetch. I just followed him to his bed and played tug of war for a bit. I'd wait for him to get worked up a bit while playing tug of war, take possession of the toy from him, toss, and repeat. Once he learned that he might as well bring me the toy, we switched to playing fetch with designated toys. I keep his fetch toys in a closet now and he goes berserk whenever he sees you pull one out.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: January 20, 2017, 02:17:18 PM »
I'll try some of that.  She's spoiled like crazy now.  At least 8 toys scattered around her area at all times.

You gotta give this longbone a shot.  She's having a blast w/it.  I got it at the seattle kroger version, so it's probably at dillon's.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: January 21, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »

Dexter did that too when I started trying to teach him fetch. I just followed him to his bed and played tug of war for a bit. I'd wait for him to get worked up a bit while playing tug of war, take possession of the toy from him, toss, and repeat. Once he learned that he might as well bring me the toy, we switched to playing fetch with designated toys. I keep his fetch toys in a closet now and he goes berserk whenever he sees you pull one out.
I couldn't even say the word "ball" without my dog going nuts. We started spelling it and she learned that too. Dogs are amazing.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: February 08, 2017, 03:36:58 PM »
Had to put my Rosie girl down this afternoon. 

Renal failure and her back legs were failing her.  The medication just wasn't cutting it anymore. 

:(

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: February 08, 2017, 04:05:45 PM »
I'm sorry dax  :frown:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: February 08, 2017, 04:13:22 PM »
DSF (below) has the beetus. I have to give him 2 shots a day and he feels like crap all the time now. The old man is breaking down. Going to be awful, but he had a good run especially sans kids.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: February 08, 2017, 04:25:17 PM »
Hey guys, lady checking in here. She absolutely loves playing soccer with a partially deflated ball.

You kick it and she brings it back!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: February 08, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: February 08, 2017, 05:19:15 PM »
Sorry Dax.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Dogs
« Reply #1497 on: February 08, 2017, 05:49:22 PM »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: February 08, 2017, 06:16:29 PM »
Sorry to hear Dax.  Pets are part of my family and it's awful to see them go.  Better to make this awful decision then let them suffer a day too long.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: February 08, 2017, 06:32:07 PM »
Sorry to hear Dax.  Pets are part of my family and it's awful to see them go.  Better to make this awful decision then let them suffer a day too long.

Oh man, this is the worst part. We have no idea how Dog SF really feels obv.  We can just tell he feels like crap and hates getting jabbed 6 times a day. We both hope he just bites it in his sleep so we don't have to make the decision.