Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 192057 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1225 on: November 18, 2016, 06:14:46 PM »
you can over-reward a dog.  food rewards are mostly about communicating what you want her to do to her.  once she gets the idea, she doesn't need constant rewards to do it.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: November 18, 2016, 06:24:24 PM »
you don't really have to be much of an bad person.  a stern tone and harsh look does a lot to a dog as far as correcting bad behavior.  so far it doesn't sound like she's had bad behavior though.

going forward i wouldn't reward after feeding.  pooping, i would just reward her verbally.  also a little activity will shake the bowels loose.  if i want mine to poop (like say she hasn't pooped all day but i'm about to go out for the evening) then i just throw the ball for a min or two and she'll have to stop and poop.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: November 18, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
you can over-reward a dog.  food rewards are mostly about communicating what you want her to do to her.  once she gets the idea, she doesn't need constant rewards to do it.

Got it.  I'll take some to the park or when we're out and about and I'm trying to command her to do what I want, but I'll quit food-rewarding her just because she's making me happy doing regular dog stuff.

I saw the bull dicks at costco a couple days ago, but bought some softer chicken/apple sausages instead.  She seems to do better with the soft stuff; she's not one to get a bone or something and gnaw on it for a while.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: November 18, 2016, 06:29:45 PM »
you don't really have to be much of an bad person.  a stern tone and harsh look does a lot to a dog as far as correcting bad behavior.  so far it doesn't sound like she's had bad behavior though.

going forward i wouldn't reward after feeding.  pooping, i would just reward her verbally.  also a little activity will shake the bowels loose.  if i want mine to poop (like say she hasn't pooped all day but i'm about to go out for the evening) then i just throw the ball for a min or two and she'll have to stop and poop.

That makes sense, but the snags I've run into are her food stubbornness generally and my limited options on getting her off leash and free to play.  And I'm hesitant to be too stern w/her because it seems so likely she's probably been around some bad people pre-Seattle, just with how jumpy she is sometimes.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: November 18, 2016, 06:35:20 PM »
dogs appreciate a stern leader.  they crave it really.  their driving force is to please you, and they like knowing when they aren't.  it has to be immediate though or they will get confused.  dogs are essentially trump voters.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: November 18, 2016, 06:43:44 PM »
it's probably a good idea not to be too stern at first.  she barely knows you.

the big trend in training these days is positive only reinforcement.  i don't agree with that necessarily, i think there's a place for fear as motivation, but i do think it's best to lean much heavier on the positive stimuli.  in general, my feeling is that positive is really good at helping them do stuff you want them to, and and negative is good at getting them to not do stuff you don't want them to.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: November 18, 2016, 06:51:32 PM »
it's probably a good idea not to be too stern at first.  she barely knows you.

the big trend in training these days is positive only reinforcement.  i don't agree with that necessarily, i think there's a place for fear as motivation, but i do think it's best to lean much heavier on the positive stimuli.  in general, my feeling is that positive is really good at helping them do stuff you want them to, and and negative is good at getting them to not do stuff you don't want them to.

yes.

and as far as being stern, i'm just meaning like you she her do something you don't like, immediately say "NO" in a slightly raised voice.  not like a scream or something, but just in a stern voice to stop the action, and then that's it.  after she stops the action then go back to being nice, it doesn't need to last more than a moment.

but, you also haven't really said she has any bad behaviors, so maybe it's not applicable right now.  as she becomes more comfortable she'll probably start testing a little.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: November 18, 2016, 06:59:43 PM »
Yeah, there haven't really been any acts so to speak of bad behavior, just some general non-cooperation - refusing to leave the bed or come to where I need her to be, food, etc.

That bed is tricky.  In some ways, I hate it because it so dominates her life.  But I also appreciate it in that it's an invisible crate that's more effective than I could ever imagine a real one being.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: November 18, 2016, 09:05:49 PM »
dogs appreciate a stern leader.  they crave it really.  their driving force is to please you, and they like knowing when they aren't.  it has to be immediate though or they will get confused.  dogs are essentially trump voters.

Pack leader, I learned that from the dog whisperer

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: November 19, 2016, 12:22:11 AM »
Productive night. Courtyard was calm so I let her off and she was pretty good running with me and was real compliant when it was leash time, almost like she wanted back on. Stopped at the bar on the way to get her some water and she was cool around the eagles fans and some giant rough ridin' elephant dog in a maclin jersey. Got her out to the dog park and free-ranged her and she did real well with some tiny, fancy dogs brought in by some asians.

She's still only using the courtyard as a bathroom, but there also still hasn't been a need for her you try elsewhere. Might change tomorrow when we pak for the game. Should def change thanksgiving when we're out in the suburbs, probably overnight.

I got her a kids' small sonics shirt and cut it up so she could wear it backwards,but she won't walk far in it, at least not at regular speed. I think it's still to restrictive. I'm gonna try cutting the back (her front) all the way down and try it like a vest.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: November 21, 2016, 02:30:34 PM »
My brother's wife was attacked by a dog yesterday, had to go to ER with bites all over her hands and legs.  Luckily not more serious.  Dog and owner yet to be found. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 22, 2016, 03:28:48 PM »
My brother's wife was attacked by a dog yesterday, had to go to ER with bites all over her hands and legs.  Luckily not more serious.  Dog and owner yet to be found.

Ugh, now she has to have surgery for an infection.  :eek:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: November 22, 2016, 03:35:38 PM »
rabies

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: November 22, 2016, 06:48:55 PM »
Maybe cross post with Killing Animals thread... Looking for a versatile bird dog. Mostly for pheasants, few quail, retrieving dove. Something not real high strung. Buddies all hunt labs, but was looking at German Shorthairs and Vizslas. Any advice or recommedations?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: November 22, 2016, 07:42:52 PM »
Both high strung spazzes

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: November 22, 2016, 07:44:02 PM »
Vizslas are velcro dogs too, huge separation anxiety issues

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: November 22, 2016, 07:51:56 PM »
My dad bought a German shorthair for some obscene amount of money that had some Uber hunter bloodlines and he finally had to give it away to some farmer because of too much energy. She now apparently runs in the fields 8-10 hours a day and still has excess energy. Also she would eat poop straight out of other dogs buttholes, wouldn't even let it hit the ground.

Great hunting dog tho

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: November 22, 2016, 08:20:55 PM »
i've been around normal/good hunting german shorthairs.  isn't that what emo uses?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: November 23, 2016, 09:42:33 AM »
I am a gentleman of impeccable taste so I would only ever run birddogs (English pointers and setters).  But, I do have to say that if I were to go outside of these breeds a GSP would be the way to go, but maybe not for reasons you'd suspect.

1)  They are very popular, therefore there are lots of breedings around, and they are also very diverse.  You can find 75 lb GSP's and you can find 35 lb GSP's.  Some are athletic and fast and wide ranging, some are more mopey and plodding and slow boot lickers.  Really you can get any flavor you'd like.  And like pointers/setters, you can get a nice puppy for $600, but you could spend more if it were a breeding you absolutely wanted. 

2)  They are generally pretty tough dogs, handle pain well, don't take too much water, aren't a pain in the ass maintenance wise.  Many you could run 6 hours a day. 

3)  Generally strong retrieving and "hunt dead" desire.  Makes a great "one dog guy" kind of dog.  The right dog can do it all, but it's a generalist, so it might not retrieve like a lab, or find birds like a setter.  Every one I have been around has had a pretty good nose, "birdy" dogs for sure.

I like the white ones with some spotting or ticking in the 45-50 pound range. 

4) 

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: November 27, 2016, 08:40:56 AM »
Dexter is mine.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: November 27, 2016, 08:59:57 AM »
He likes those dried bull penises. He has not shown any interest in any of the toys I have bought him yet.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: November 27, 2016, 01:29:45 PM »
This is fantastic news

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: November 27, 2016, 01:39:14 PM »
Everyone here loves the idea of Payton, plus it'll be easy to get the matching hoops jersey that won't be too cumbersome. 

Wasn't easy, but found it!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: November 29, 2016, 04:29:33 PM »
At that vet visit, they gave me what I thought would be a pill for fleas.  I finally gave it to her Sunday and it turned out to be a relatively big, chewy thing.  It took a while for me to get her to go for it.  Next day, she wasn't eating well and was straining while shitting.  She also wasn't being so picky about where to piss, which I thought was a good thing (free-range, albeit outside).  By last night, she was liquid shitting (diarrhea) and generally seemed human flu-like.  Carried on to this morning.  I think she was associating the flavor food from when it started with being sick; I was able to get her to eat a different flavor, so that's good. 

I since read this can all be a side effect of the particular flea stuff I gave her.  I emailed the vet, who said she's not seen that before but would note it and to come in if it lasted a few more days.  Then I called the dog trainer, who we had a complimentary session set for this afternoon, to cancel.  When I told her what was going on, she instantly knew of the side effect to that particular medicine and how it would only happen the first time and that the sickness would be just like a 48-hour flu.

Why does the dog trainer at some generic suburban petsmart know all that, but the vet doesn't?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: November 29, 2016, 04:40:52 PM »
At that vet visit, they gave me what I thought would be a pill for fleas.  I finally gave it to her Sunday and it turned out to be a relatively big, chewy thing.  It took a while for me to get her to go for it.  Next day, she wasn't eating well and was straining while shitting.  She also wasn't being so picky about where to piss, which I thought was a good thing (free-range, albeit outside).  By last night, she was liquid shitting (diarrhea) and generally seemed human flu-like.  Carried on to this morning.  I think she was associating the flavor food from when it started with being sick; I was able to get her to eat a different flavor, so that's good. 

I since read this can all be a side effect of the particular flea stuff I gave her.  I emailed the vet, who said she's not seen that before but would note it and to come in if it lasted a few more days.  Then I called the dog trainer, who we had a complimentary session set for this afternoon, to cancel.  When I told her what was going on, she instantly knew of the side effect to that particular medicine and how it would only happen the first time and that the sickness would be just like a 48-hour flu.

Why does the dog trainer at some generic suburban petsmart know all that, but the vet doesn't?

How much vetting did you do on this vet?