• View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1200 on: November 15, 2016, 10:14:24 PM »
Sookie is pro open air too. #fuckcages
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: November 15, 2016, 10:25:57 PM »
ya she's not crate trained, human lied.  100% of all dogs all hate the crate until they all decide they love it.  but it isn't something you need to force on her if you're both good w/o it.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: November 16, 2016, 08:42:46 AM »
a slightly larger crate might help, but if she's not rough ridin' with anything in your place, don't worry about it.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: November 16, 2016, 12:52:13 PM »

Do you have a dog named after the protagonist of the series "True Blood"?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: November 16, 2016, 01:03:12 PM »
One of my buddy's pit-mixes freaks the eff out if you drive over rumble strips.  Goes apeshit.  Kinda annoying.  I only know this because he also did not crate train his dog and when we went camping the dog had to ride in the cab. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: November 16, 2016, 01:10:49 PM »
So far she's good in the front seat or the back of my jeep when the back seat's folded up.  I'm gonna move some stuff around so I can fold the back seat back and throw her new favorite towel back there and have her sit back there.  Seems safest.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: November 16, 2016, 01:21:14 PM »

Do you have a dog named after the protagonist of the series "True Blood"?

Yes

So far she's good in the front seat or the back of my jeep when the back seat's folded up.  I'm gonna move some stuff around so I can fold the back seat back and throw her new favorite towel back there and have her sit back there.  Seems safest.

Yeah, around town I make her stay in the back. On longer trips I'll let her in the front seat as long as she lays down

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: November 16, 2016, 02:04:03 PM »
One of my buddy's pit-mixes freaks the eff out if you drive over rumble strips.  Goes apeshit.  Kinda annoying.  I only know this because he also did not crate train his dog and when we went camping the dog had to ride in the cab.

Our dog does the same thing along with attacking windshield wipers.  Was crate trained though, more cause he's a terrier and wants to defend against anything.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: November 17, 2016, 03:15:44 PM »
I think I figured out the food.  It seems like she needs to see me take it out of the bag and put in the bowl, as opposed to having a full bowl out on the ready all the time.  I can even fake it sometimes by just putting a little more out of the bag on top of what was in there.

I probably shouldn't press my luck, but she picks the most difficult things to pick poop out of to poop on.  There's a giant thing of turf that would be incredibly easy for me to see and retrieve that stuff, but she goes into this more nature-y area next to it and finds some leaves or plants to dump on, to where I can barely find it or easily get it.  I suppose the benefit is when I can't, it won't be obvious to the hundreds of people potentially looking at me that I didn't.

Lots of progress going on here!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: November 17, 2016, 03:18:38 PM »
it's a big advantage if she naturally likes to hide when she shits.  you can just take her to places where it's ok to take hidden shits and don't bother collecting.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: November 17, 2016, 03:20:09 PM »
Yeah, mine is a known tall grass and bushes pooper and its great

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: November 17, 2016, 03:22:31 PM »
She hasn't gone to the bathroom of either variety anywhere except my courtyard, except for that very first time on my balcony.  We haven't gone all that far away to where it'd be impossible for her to wait until getting back home, but it'll be interesting to see what psychological hiccup exists when it happens.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: November 17, 2016, 07:04:44 PM »
How old is this dog again?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: November 17, 2016, 09:52:26 PM »

Suspected 2 years.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: November 18, 2016, 01:28:29 AM »

Suspected 2 years.

Makes sense, the dog while seemingly sweet, has some weird hangups, learned behavior.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: November 18, 2016, 07:39:20 AM »

Suspected 2 years.

Makes sense, the dog while seemingly sweet, has some weird hangups, learned behavior.

agreed.  if I were trim I would be most concerned with the dog eating me alive while I slept.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: November 18, 2016, 09:55:04 AM »

Suspected 2 years.

Yep.  Most of them are working out for my purposes, and the ones that are frustrating seem to work themselves out after a few days of me trial & error'n a happy medium.  So far, so good.

I need to get out to the dog park more and places where I can get her off leash but contained, so that I can get confident in being able to reign her in.  There's options for her to play w/other dogs at the bars and especially in my courtyard, but we're not supposed to have them off leash and I'm not confident in being able to quell a problem if it came up.  I let her off once and she did a bunch of turbo laps and tired out so I could get her easily.  When other dogs come in and are off-leash or on a retractable, I want to let her play but I'm not ready to let her off leash, so the other dogs kind of eff w/her b/c they're free-range.

Last night, she was ready to sleep and I took her out so she could go to the bathroom.  She was just about to go and some dude came in w/his dog on one of those retractable leashes that he kept letting in and out and it disrupted Payton's whole routine.  I tried to let them play for a bit but the dude's dog was being a eff so I wanted to take Payton away and start over when they were done, but he kept letting the rough rider retract after us.  I had to tell the weirdo that it was after 10 and I'm just trying to get us all to bed and he was all mad that I wouldn't let this brand-new dog on a 6-foot leash be buckwild w/his fucko dog.

I've had a lot less tolerance for street people and drifting tourists and non-space-aware locals too since this.  Payton's gonna have me choking someone soon.  I'm gonna end up being her X-Man instead of her Kemp.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: November 18, 2016, 10:50:55 AM »
you need to get her off leash time.  leashes aren't good for dogs.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: November 18, 2016, 11:18:49 AM »

If they keep them out of the street thereby preventing them from getting run over they are absolutely good for dogs. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: November 18, 2016, 11:29:28 AM »

Definitely need to get her more off leash time, but the leash is gonna be a necessity almost all of the time outside of my apartment for now.  It's dangerous for a dog out in these skreets.  I'll love it when we can get to a point where she can be off leash inside public places like bars and the apartment courtyard and I'd have no problem keeping her in check when something pops off.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: November 18, 2016, 05:23:41 PM »
Are there non-food "treats" that are good to use for positive reinforcement?  She gets to thinking she's too good for dog food when she knows there's treat food in existence in the world, plus it probably fucks up her appetite.  I'd like to be able, for now, to reserve food treats for after she eats her dog food, and have something else to reward good outdoor shits and other bigly dog accomplishments.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: November 18, 2016, 05:40:03 PM »
training is mostly about reward and punishment.  food rewards are really good for early training because they are very fast (you can deliver them at exactly when you want, which makes it easier for the dog to figure out why it's being rewarded) and unambiguous.  if you think you are giving her too much food (just because she doesn't want to eat all the kibble you offer doesn't necessarily mean she's getting too much food as rewards), the easiest thing is use smaller food rewards (and you are probably giving them more frequently than you need to - you don't need to reward everything she does).

there are all sorts of other ways to reward an animal if you really want to move away from food.  play is the other big one that people like to use.  it works well for dogs with a high prey drive.  but any resource that she wants more of than she has and that you control access to can be a training reward.

i thought the whole point of not getting a pup was that wanted a dog already trained to some degree?  you shouldn't need to reward shitting.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: November 18, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »
I've probably mumped up some of that.  I've often forgotten to take treats out with me so I'm not able to give her anything until we come back in.  That, combined w/how in the first few days I'd have to take her bed away to get her to be not comatose and to try to use its return to reward eating, makes her sprint back to my place to try to beat me back to her bed.  Dumb, as she's leashed to me, but whatever. 

Today, when we came back from shitting, I didn't take her off leash right away inside and we sat in the kitchen until she ate.  Once she starts eating, she kills the whole bowl quick.  I immediately rewarded her w/treat food.

I don't know why I reward shitting.  Just seemed like a good idea.  She knows to go outside for sure.  I guess I'm just trying to positively reinforce the whole process of her cooperating in going outside or letting me know she needs to and getting the job done out there.  I'll try doing the playtime out there, which goes back to being able to get her off the leash.  We're gonna go put in some extra time at the dog park tonight.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: November 18, 2016, 05:58:46 PM »
you should probably just stop rewarding her unless she becomes an bad person

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: November 18, 2016, 06:05:20 PM »
you should probably just stop rewarding her unless she becomes an bad person

That's what's been so counter-intuitive to me this week.  I've been wanting to reward her when she's doing good stuff (even expected good stuff) to keep that train rolling, and I want to be an bad person to her when she's being an bad person but it feels like a bad idea to be bad person'n this early.