Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 192098 times)

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #750 on: September 16, 2016, 12:46:13 PM »
different breeds are different and some breeds are pretty tough to crate train etc because they aren't complete idiots and would rather not spend their entire days trapped in a cage that is only slightly bigger than they are. so while it might be kind of nice to have a dog that doesn't mind it, don't pat yourselves on the back too hard because guess what? that dog iq of yours is somewhere around 80.
My dogs IQ is in the 120s. We had her tested. V smart dog. The smartest dog. Just a really impressive canine is what I'm saying.

My human IQ is higher than that :gocho:
Well I would certainly hope so

I don't think you know how human IQ works
Oh?

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 16, 2016, 12:46:35 PM »
Be careful not to clip that little guys feet while hoover board walking him.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 16, 2016, 12:51:26 PM »
Also y-l_a bro just got a dog, very cute and great with people. Huge bad person to other dogs though, and not just my two dogs who really dgaf about him but it seems like all dogs. Tried at others peoples houses to get him acclimated, took him to bluestem with other dogs and at his own house. He just seems to really be a big jerk when it comes to other dogs. Anyone have any useful ideas?

tell those other beta dogs to stop being bitches

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 16, 2016, 02:02:51 PM »
My dogs IQ is in the 120s. We had her tested. V smart dog. The smartest dog. Just a really impressive canine is what I'm saying.

My human IQ is higher than that :gocho:
Well I would certainly hope so

I don't think you know how human IQ works

this is one of the most TBT-y exchanges of all time  :love:

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 16, 2016, 03:18:04 PM »
Cross thread post but.. I've walked out my front door the past two mornings to a crap on the doorstep and both times the same cat has been sitting at the end of the neighbors driveway staring at me.  This new saint may come in handy tomorrow.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 16, 2016, 06:11:29 PM »
both those dogs are too small.

i've never understood what people are talking about when they say crate training. is it just that you tell a dog to go in a crate and he goes in?  because there's no training involved in that, that's just telling a dog to do something and the dog doesn't give a crap and mostly does whatever you tell it to naturally so it does what you tell it to w. regard to going in a crate.  is there supposed to be something more to it?

a true "crate-trained" dog doesn't need to be told to go to the crate. Example, my dog knows when I have keys in my hand I'm leaving the house, she goes in her crate. If we're on the couch watching TV the dog lies down in her crate, etc etc

Our dog goes when I start brushing my teeth in the morning and when I come home after he does something stupid like taking food from one of the kids when he's alone with them and my wife.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 17, 2016, 01:38:55 PM »
both those dogs are too small.

If I got a dog of the size you deem desirable, my entire apartment would effectively be the crate.  When I went to the shelter, even the "medium" dogs looked to me like they'd be totally claustrophobic in my setup.

my older dog is 46 lbs.  too big for you, no arguments.  my younger dog is 29 lbs, and it's pretty much the perfect dog size.  big enough to do medium to large dog things like play w. tennis balls, run super fast and jump super high, harass small animals and not have that weird small dog attitude of wanting to fight bigger dogs but small enough to hardly take up any room, can be picked up and carried around w. one arm and generally be very convenient.

in summary, look for a 25-30 lb dog.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 17, 2016, 01:40:16 PM »
a true "crate-trained" dog doesn't need to be told to go to the crate. Example, my dog knows when I have keys in my hand I'm leaving the house, she goes in her crate. If we're on the couch watching TV the dog lies down in her crate, etc etc

Our dog goes when I start brushing my teeth in the morning and when I come home after he does something stupid like taking food from one of the kids when he's alone with them and my wife.

sounds like a complete waste of time.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 17, 2016, 01:47:35 PM »
50lbs is perfect size imo
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 17, 2016, 01:55:12 PM »
I applied for Buddy earlier today (@gooch, you're a reference). Saw after I submitted that he requires a yard but I think if they home inspect me they'd find my courtyard and surrounding areas and as much as I'd have him out and about would be adequate.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 17, 2016, 01:59:48 PM »
I applied for Buddy earlier today (@gooch, you're a reference). Saw after I submitted that he requires a yard but I think if they home inspect me they'd find my courtyard and surrounding areas and as much as I'd have him out and about would be adequate.

adequate?  buddy deserves adequate?
come on trim. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 17, 2016, 02:12:50 PM »

don't let them mind-trick you into thinking they're doing you a favor in giving you an abandoned dog for $400.  whatever you offer buddy is better than what he has now.  also dogs don't need yards, and honestly any dog organization that doesn't know that is pretty suspect.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 17, 2016, 02:25:48 PM »

don't let them mind-trick you into thinking they're doing you a favor in giving you an abandoned dog for $400.  whatever you offer buddy is better than what he has now.  also dogs don't need yards, and honestly any dog organization that doesn't know that is pretty suspect.

I mean, I certainly prefer my outdoor surroundings to a yard, and I'm sure the dog would too.  Maybe I'll skype you in when they're at my place and you can browbeat them for me.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 17, 2016, 02:50:40 PM »
I mean, I certainly prefer my outdoor surroundings to a yard, and I'm sure the dog would too.  Maybe I'll skype you in when they're at my place and you can browbeat them for me.

the dog will like whatever you tell it to like.  when those rescue dog nazis come by, just intimidate them with confidence in your dog skills and they'll back down.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 17, 2016, 03:29:39 PM »
:lol:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: September 19, 2016, 11:09:24 PM »
Am I getting bait & switch'd???

Thank you for your application for Buddy. I am so sorry about the delay in replying to you. Things get very busy around here.
Buddy will be placed on trial adoption soon with someone who applied for him before you. We hope it will work out for him.

We do have many other great dogs available so please keep an eye on our website and let us know if there are others that appeal to you. There is no need for a new application each time; you can just email me directly.

What about Asher?  Seems like a lot of similar traits that I cared about, but has some baggage?

Asher has been through a lot and really wants a person to himself. He is learning to have better manners with other dogs but does have jealousy issues. Asher is nervous around kids so we would prefer a kid-free home for him.

He warms very slowly to men and after a few days, with love and giving him space and treats, he is in. He is not the type of dog you can instantly pet and just needs a little time and then loves it. He is then a very snuggly boy. Loves his walks, car rides, such a doll.

Something happened in his past so his foster is working on him being lightly touched on his backside and neck to get him comfortable.  Making tons of progress. 

http://www.savinggreatanimals.org/animals/detail?AnimalID=8750309

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 19, 2016, 11:43:47 PM »
I would not recommend that dog

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 19, 2016, 11:46:31 PM »
looks to me like like his favorite treat is human hand flesh

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: September 19, 2016, 11:51:10 PM »

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: September 20, 2016, 12:02:57 AM »
its named asher

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: September 20, 2016, 12:06:54 AM »
its named asher

Well yeah, there'd definitely be a renaming thread/contest on here.  What else?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 20, 2016, 12:08:50 AM »
Scared, skittish dogs are such a pain in the ass

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 20, 2016, 12:12:28 AM »
What does this mean?

Owner Experience Needed: Species

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 20, 2016, 12:13:47 AM »
Scared, skittish dogs are such a pain in the ass

How much of a pain in the ass is something I'd be able to ascertain in the 2 weeks, right?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: September 20, 2016, 12:17:48 AM »
What does this mean?

Owner Experience Needed: Species

Species is probably a synonym for having access to gE dog people's insights.