Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 194198 times)

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #500 on: March 09, 2016, 04:19:10 PM »
Just found out yesterday that my old Golden has a tumor and has weeks/months left to live.  He's 13, and has a had a wonderful life and gave my family much more than he got.

This is super hard to take.

Unfortunately came here to post something similar and maybe get some good discussion on it. Know what you are going through. #onecat.

My Rhodesian is round about 6 1/2 years old. A couple months ago we noticed the muscles on the right side of his head collapsed. He wasn't and still isn't in any pain. We had been going through a pretty arduous move at the time, and coordinating with where to put the dog when we were working on the move obviously put a lot of stress on him. We figured it might be stress related but decided to get him checked anyway. We went through several steps and tests, all of which to test out more common, less serious, treatable possibilities, all of which came back negative. The last test we have available is to do an MRI to check for tumors that could be a lot of places, none of which would be good. The doc says that it is more than likely attached to his brain, or to a nerve sheath. She also says that there isn't really any outside chance that it is something else.

Like I said, he isn't in any pain. He also doesn't seem to be effected in any other way --maybe a little bit more drool out of that side of his mouth. Generally an extremely happy dog who is the exact same minus looking a little weird.

The question I'm struggling with is whether or not we should confirm what seems to be the only possible explanation, which would mean spending a decent chunk of change (in the thousands of dollars) on an MRI. If it does confirm it, then we know exactly what is happening and we would be essentially in the same spot. Treatment for that sort of thing is radiation and basically could extend the life of the dog by a couple years, but during the therapy he would be absolutely miserable. The therapy is extremely hard on dogs and they feel like crap. It can go on for a year or two. In addition to be extremely expensive, I don't like the idea of making my dog feel like crap and devalue the good years of his life just to extend the generally less active years he may have left.

Is it wrong to just continue without more tests, and without treatment? I have come to terms with the fact that he could be gone in as little as a few months (could also be a few years) so long as he is enjoying his life and doing dog things, but I am not sure if this is off base. TIA.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 09, 2016, 04:46:44 PM »
i would ask myself, what are am going to do with the results of the tests?  the hard answer is probably nothing because of the difficulty of dealing with a tumor on the brainstem.  if your dog isn't in any visible pain, and that's confirmed by the doctor, i would just let the guy live his saggy faced life. 

this has probably been addressed by the vet but it sounds like maybe he/she has the canine version of bell's palsy, it's called idiopathic facial nerve paralysis. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 09, 2016, 05:21:51 PM »
i would ask myself, what are am going to do with the results of the tests?  the hard answer is probably nothing because of the difficulty of dealing with a tumor on the brainstem.  if your dog isn't in any visible pain, and that's confirmed by the doctor, i would just let the guy live his saggy faced life. 

this has probably been addressed by the vet but it sounds like maybe he/she has the canine version of bell's palsy, it's called idiopathic facial nerve paralysis.

checked for that and no dice. i'm on board with letting him continue to be a happy dog with a weirdo head.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 09, 2016, 07:18:33 PM »
Lady has a $500 max. If something costs more than that she better find her own way to pay for it. I bet she could clear $200 just by sending a snapchat to Wacky or TTHOTUC.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 09, 2016, 07:37:47 PM »
500 is nothing at the vet.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 09, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »

checked for that and no dice. i'm on board with letting him continue to be a happy dog with a weirdo head.

Yeah, no pain is the key IMO.  Once my guy is in more pain than the meds can assist with, it will be the end of the road.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 09, 2016, 07:44:25 PM »

Legit just teared up Pete. That's very tough

Thanks man.  The kids don't know yet.  Telling them will be excruciating.  They are in grade school, and have lived with him their entire lives.

We went through this one year ago with the kids basset hound that they absolutely adore.  She fell down stairs and jacked her back up bad.  The vet gave her a not great chance at recovery and said that if she does recover, she won't have control of bowels and what not.  The vet also told us that if she didn't have a significant recovery in 2-3 days, then she won't at all.  We prepared to have her put down, then decided what would it hurt to give her an extra week or so. The dog made a 99% recovery and we avoided the issue, but part of the prep for putting her down was the discussion with the kids.  they were 8 and 10 at the time and took it so much better than I thought they would. 

It sucks and I feel for you.

Thanks man, appreciate it

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 09, 2016, 10:12:14 PM »

500 is nothing at the vet.

My Ike dog had an abscess on his rear leg so I took him to the vet here in Lenexa to have it lanced.  My other dog had had an abscess once and it was lanced by a more rural vet and I was out the door at about $300.  So I didn't even ask for pricing in Lenexa.  rough ridin' 920 dollars, and when I picked him up he was still squirting blood.  They said "it'll stop bleeding soon."  And I was all "I paid you to fix my dog and you haven't done that yet call me when he is fixed."  Fuckers.  So ya 500 bucks to a JoCo vet is like a teeth cleaning and maybe some antibiotics.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 09, 2016, 11:10:07 PM »
I don't know how my vet stays in business, he's so cheap. Half the time he doesn't even change me for shots and stuff
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 31, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »
there is a puppy in an apartment down the hall that has been absolutely losing its crap the past few days. today it has been barking for four solid hours now. it sounds like it's right next to the door so i'm doubting the owners put it in a cage/kennel when they leave for the day. i work from home and can usually put on music or something to cover it up, but i would say my level of being annoyed is at a 3.5/7.

is there anything i can do in this situation? should i leave a note for the owners as if they will/can do anything about it? or do i just have to deal with it?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 31, 2016, 12:05:26 PM »
When I watched my parents dog at the apartments downtown (and wasn't supposed to have a dog in the river market lofts), I had about 4 ppl rat me out to the landlord. So that's always an option. It worked in this case.

I think a note would go a long ways tho.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 31, 2016, 12:05:38 PM »
communicate with the owners in some way.  how are they supposed to know the dog barks when they aren't home if no one tells them?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 31, 2016, 01:03:41 PM »
communicate with the owners in some way.  how are they supposed to know the dog barks when they aren't home if no one tells them?
yep, call the landlord

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 31, 2016, 01:07:16 PM »
You should go knock on the door, then leave a note. Then if nothing is done go to the landlord.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 31, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »
first step is determining exactly which apartment it's coming from. i think the culprit is Leo, a cute as crap little golden retriever puppy owned by fellow emaw's, but i'm not 100% sure.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 31, 2016, 01:57:57 PM »
move

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 31, 2016, 02:59:26 PM »
Let them know. When I lived in a multi family building my dog would whine during the day and I didn't know it. I took her to dog daycare after I found out. Most people don't like being the bad neighbor

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 01, 2016, 06:34:25 PM »
Offer to watch it during the day.  Talk abut a win win!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 26, 2016, 10:09:48 AM »
Anyone have/had a gentle giant breed?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 26, 2016, 10:12:58 AM »
Pyrenees.

Ours was half lab too, so he looked labish but had all the Pyrenees demeanor. He was around 130lbs

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 26, 2016, 10:23:10 AM »
Pyrenees.

Ours was half lab too, so he looked labish but had all the Pyrenees demeanor. He was around 130lbs

Would you get another that big?  Been putting off getting another dog saying we don't have room.  Now that we moved and have room, wife is full throttle on looking for dogs, mainly looking at Bullmastiffs.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 26, 2016, 10:30:46 AM »
Yeah, I would, if I had enough room.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 26, 2016, 10:34:49 AM »
Bigger dogs generally don't live as long though, and can be very expensive with health complications the last few years

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 26, 2016, 10:39:07 AM »
bernese mountain dog

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 26, 2016, 10:42:08 AM »
I have a Newfoundland.

They are really big, dumb, hairy and pretty funny.