Author Topic: jobs  (Read 279382 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #950 on: January 28, 2016, 10:24:05 AM »
I love the challenge of trying to make everything sound exciting on your resume. 

In college I wrote a silly article in some magazine that gets dropped off at frat/sor houses then promptly thrown away. I have this on my resume as "Authored an article that was distributed to over 75 universities nationwide"

My friend is an Enginerd who used to do Walmart builds and retrofits, when he was looking for a new job he never mentioned "Walmart" but played up his experience in "retail/restaurant/automotive/warehouse/etc etc" design.

---Serious Question regarding resumes-----

I owned and operated a lawn mowing business in high school that mowed about 10 yards a week and had a couple of friends that would help me.

I have this listed as a bullet point in my other experience section "Owned and operated a lawn mowing business while in high school with 4 employees".

At what age do I need to remove this? It was an awesome add when I was fresh out of college and I didn't have much experience and I still get asked about it in every interview...but now I'm in my late 20's and that was 10 years ago.

I feel like it needs to go soon or people will think "Wow, look at this 40 year old who still lists stuff from high school on his resume".

That's my issue, I've been in one job 13 years, so it's kind of hard for me to show growth over that time.    I'm almost 40, so I can't rely on my accomplishments much from my first job and college.  I've taken it from essentially nothing when I was hired to over $10mil/yr largely on my back.    I've been told many times I have been the majority of the company's success, especially in light of withering markets in our other divisions.  But the market here limits much growth for us beyond that, and some other internal factors out of my control restrict it as well.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 28, 2016, 10:24:52 AM »
I still have university wrestling champion on mine and it gets brought up a lot.   :lol:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 28, 2016, 10:32:05 AM »
I would probably drop the lawn mowing business from when you were a teenager.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 28, 2016, 10:38:44 AM »

:cry:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 28, 2016, 10:54:12 AM »
i mean, it shows he has a sense of humor, but that's about all that i would get out of it had i interviewed him

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 28, 2016, 11:07:48 AM »

I owned and operated a lawn mowing business in high school that mowed about 10 yards a week and had a couple of friends that would help me.

I have this listed as a bullet point in my other experience section "Owned and operated a lawn mowing business while in high school with 4 employees".

At what age do I need to remove this? It was an awesome add when I was fresh out of college and I didn't have much experience and I still get asked about it in every interview...but now I'm in my late 20's and that was 10 years ago.

I feel like it needs to go soon or people will think "Wow, look at this 40 year old who still lists stuff from high school on his resume".

Similarly, I had really good ACT/SAT scores that I kept on my resume up through getting the job I currently have.  I begrudgingly took them off my resume when applying for the job I'm starting in a week, but I'm not sure if it was a good move or not.
:adios:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 28, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »

Similarly, I had really good ACT/SAT scores that I kept on my resume up through getting the job I currently have.  I begrudgingly took them off my resume when applying for the job I'm starting in a week, but I'm not sure if it was a good move or not.

thats a thing?  I mean, maybe if it was a 36 but...

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: January 28, 2016, 11:49:34 AM »

:dunno: it came across positively in interviews. Although maybe it prevented other interviews from happening... I'll never know

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 28, 2016, 11:51:31 AM »

:dunno: it came across positively in interviews. Although maybe it prevented other interviews from happening... I'll never know

interesting.   I had a GPA on my college graduate resume since it was high, but never thought entrance exams were relevant in a post-graduate resumer

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 28, 2016, 12:00:39 PM »
I am convinced half of marketing is failing. I am just not certain which half it is.
Seems relevant?

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: January 28, 2016, 12:03:19 PM »
Some bull crap in a paragraph about why I am in the job market. 

Then,

I. Failing
   a. I am super good at it
      i.  2008-2010: failed repeatedly at job A
      ii. 2010-present: still failing a bunch

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: January 28, 2016, 12:53:44 PM »
If you have been at the same company but moved up in position, even if you are really doing the same job just a title promotion, then you can list those separately to show progression.

If you haven't had any job title change, then list all of those accomplishments in the paragraph section.

Also, ACT/SAT scores  :confused: :confused: Did you also list your HS debate record?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 28, 2016, 12:56:30 PM »

If you have been at the same company but moved up in position, even if you are really doing the same job just a title promotion, then you can list those separately to show progression.

If you haven't had any job title change, then list all of those accomplishments in the paragraph section.

Also, ACT/SAT scores  :confused: :confused: Did you also list your HS debate record?
I didn't debate, I ain't no nerd :dubious: Just thought 790 math would look good to people hiring engineers. It isn't on there anymore anyway

The Big Train

« Reply #963 on: January 28, 2016, 01:06:52 PM »
790 math was like the easiest class I took tbh

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: March 04, 2016, 03:03:35 PM »
so what do you cats think a company car is worth in equivalent salary?

Depends on how much you'd be driving, what you're driving now, etc. Maybe $15k? I'd prefer salary because it's less likely to be taken away in the future.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: March 04, 2016, 03:04:13 PM »
always, ALWAYS, take the mileage v. the car if given the oppy. that's like non-dumbass rule numero uno.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
jobs
« Reply #966 on: March 04, 2016, 03:09:44 PM »
When I took the office job, they made a one time payment of $8,000 before tax to allow for losing the car.
At $0.50/ mile and 50,000 miles per year, yes, SD is correct again. (I wonder if being right ever gets old for him?)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: March 04, 2016, 03:18:59 PM »
I'd rather not have one.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: March 04, 2016, 03:29:11 PM »
When I took the office job, they made a one time payment of $8,000 before tax to allow for losing the car.
At $0.50/ mile and 50,000 miles per year, yes, SD is correct again. (I wonder if being right ever gets old for him?)

I'd have to do the math.   I'm expecting one major trip per month, to the western MO, Kansas area.   So say that trip is 600 miles total.    Say in the course of business I put on another 40 miles a week in local biz travel.   So monthly I'd be at 800 miles x $.54 = $432.     I mean, that wouldn't even cover the payment on a nice vehicle, let alone gas and maintenance.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: March 04, 2016, 03:30:57 PM »

I'd have to do the math.   I'm expecting one major trip per month, to the western MO, Kansas area.   So say that trip is 600 miles total.    Say in the course of business I put on another 40 miles a week in local biz travel.   So monthly I'd be at 800 miles x $.54 = $432.     I mean, that wouldn't even cover the payment on a nice vehicle, let alone gas and maintenance.

The difference is that you would actually own the nice vehicle. You can drive it for personal use, and then sell it.

The Big Train

« Reply #970 on: March 04, 2016, 03:34:21 PM »
no surprise slobber is slobbering over SD again

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 04, 2016, 03:36:06 PM »

The difference is that you would actually own the nice vehicle. You can drive it for personal use, and then sell it.

Well, I have a nice vehicle now I can use for personal use, and pay no tags, taxes, insurance, maintenance, gas.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: March 04, 2016, 03:39:49 PM »
Well, I have a nice vehicle now I can use for personal use, and pay no tags, taxes, maintenance, gas.

that's probably worth about 3-5k/year.  it sounds like you wouldn't drive enough to make mileage on a personal car pay off for you.  if you drove more you could make some real money on the mileage.  but since you don't the company car might work out to your advantage.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 04, 2016, 03:40:59 PM »
yeah, that's an incredibly low amount of mileage for a gig that even gets a car. like two round trips between omaha and kc. in most normal situations the mileage is a no brainer.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: March 04, 2016, 03:41:55 PM »
This is one of the more frustrating series of posts I've seen on here in a while.