Author Topic: Fishing. It's great. any other goEMAW anglers out there?  (Read 189128 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing. It's great. any other goEMAW anglers out there?
« Reply #675 on: April 20, 2014, 10:05:49 AM »

Is this a small mouth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a largemouth (mouth extends past eye). Great fish!

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 20, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »
Its not about having fancy gear, its about getting away from everything and enjoying the good old outdoors.

Ya know?!?

Totally, just curious I guess. My rod and reel is probably like $75 together, so it's nothing crazy. Just a couple extra ball bearings for those 1 lb largemouths I'm slaying on the reggie

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 20, 2014, 08:45:30 PM »
Sys! Please identify this skeleton I snagged while fishing today.

Im guess saber tooth tiger but I would really like a second opinion.

It was caught in "indian creek" which is in the Kansas City area.

I also caught some sunfish that I plan on using for catfish bait and some small bass that were adorable.

Also LOL at lady, she was sprinting around in circles just having a great time until she apparently hit a tree and gave herself a black eye.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 20, 2014, 09:27:07 PM »

waited all winter for the time to be right just to take you along. baby get ready

Fun ben ji fishing/dating story!

So right before summer break freshman year I meet this total babe and we start talking. She's from KC and I'm from KC so we hang out a couple times right when summer break starts. Only problem is we are both living at our parents over summer break and always need excuses to leave the house so we can meet up and make out.

One night I suggest she meet me at a local park to have a fishing date....blah blah blah, we didnt catch many catfish but we tot's made out and at one point this "punk"(like wearing a shirt with some random band on it, not like "bad kid" punk) kid WITH ONE LEG (part below the leg was missing) comes up and starts chit chatting with us.

Anyways the point of the story is that she tot's told her friends afterwards and they would poke fun at us the rest of the summer by singing that song "Fishing in the dark".

So everytime I hear that song or YLA/SD type the lyrics out in this thread I tot's think about that one fishing date.
that's a terrific story and probably the greatest song to have associated with a relationship. I really get into that one during the chorus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 20, 2014, 11:49:47 PM »
Caught these yesterday, farm pond

SchwesterSonntag caught the day's trophy

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 21, 2014, 08:45:52 AM »
Studly fish there mr Herrtag

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 25, 2014, 07:18:04 PM »
Headed down to the zarks to slam some light domestic lager and slay some catfish and bass.

Over under 69 fish(catfish/bass only) caught before I leave on sunday morning?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 27, 2014, 08:03:05 PM »

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 27, 2014, 08:24:49 PM »
Caught these yesterday, farm pond

SchwesterSonntag caught the day's trophy

wtf is on your arm?  lol

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 28, 2014, 08:08:33 AM »

fresh water great white mutant?

good God if i caught that i wouldn't even bring it out of the water, just cut the line and hope the whatever it is dies quickly and before spawning more mutants

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 28, 2014, 08:53:17 AM »

fresh water great white mutant?

good God if i caught that i wouldn't even bring it out of the water, just cut the line and hope the whatever it is dies quickly and before spawning more mutants

not even sure i'd cut the line. probably just throw the whole pole in the water and then grab keys and get out of there.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 28, 2014, 11:03:17 AM »
Cats, man

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 28, 2014, 11:06:37 AM »
how do you get the hook out of big fish. like really little fish which is all i've ever caught i just wrap my hand around their stomach and then use pliers to grab the hook and take out then put back. that catfish though and the mutant above? no idea. just none.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 28, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
How much noise did that cat make, ben ji. Those big cats really grunt.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 28, 2014, 11:14:28 AM »
like you do it like they do with alligators and one person hops on the catfishs with one knee on each side to hold him in place while someone else gets close to his head/face w/ some pliers?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: April 28, 2014, 11:18:35 AM »
PRO-TIP FOR EVERY gE'r WHO ENJOYS FISHING

There are public access farm ponds all over the state thanks to the F.I.S.H. program initiated by the KDWPT.

I recommend picking up a copy of the 2014 Fishing Atlas at your local Wallys when you re-new your license, or you can just find one here
http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/KDWPT-Info/Locations/Hunting-Fishing-Maps-by-County/Fishing-Atlas

Look for the area's in the little blue squares, these are the farm ponds that the state of KS has leased from private owners.

I checked out a couple in Leavenworth County today and WOW! One was just loaded with lunkers.

Here it is - 39.212804,-95.090416

When you drive down 219th st you will see a sign that looks like this

and a bridge over the fence that looks like this

Once you reach the pond you will catch lunkers like this

And this

Going to try this one in a couple weeks.  My daughter(9) is super interested in fishing right now and I live in LV Co  :surprised:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 28, 2014, 12:15:42 PM »
Getting hooks out is really simple after you do it a lot. The key is to think about how the hook entered the jaw and take it out the same way.

Also just caught a nice lil bass

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 28, 2014, 01:04:44 PM »
God damn it.

I hate living in Massachusetts  :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
:dance:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 28, 2014, 01:10:47 PM »
Getting hooks out is really simple after you do it a lot. The key is to think about how the hook entered the jaw and take it out the same way.

i just don't know how to hold the fish. like can you just hold all of them from the bottom lip? what if one of them has teeth and bites me?  :ohno:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 28, 2014, 01:25:35 PM »

i just don't know how to hold the fish. like can you just hold all of them from the bottom lip? what if one of them has teeth and bites me?  :ohno:

You can hold the jaw with bass/crappie but catfish have little sandpaper teeth that will get you. I usually just leave them on their belly, hold them still with one hand and jerk the hook out with the other. You cant be afraid to use a little force, once you have identified how the hook entered the jaw just pop that sucker right out the exact same way.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 28, 2014, 01:30:42 PM »

You can hold the jaw with bass/crappie but catfish have little sandpaper teeth that will get you. I usually just leave them on their belly, hold them still with one hand and jerk the hook out with the other. You cant be afraid to use a little force, once you have identified how the hook entered the jaw just pop that sucker right out the exact same way.

see. it's crap like that catfish thing. i think i heard someone call it getting horned. dunno. leave them on their belly? like lay them on the ground and then hold them down?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 28, 2014, 01:33:35 PM »

see. it's crap like that catfish thing. i think i heard someone call it getting horned. dunno. leave them on their belly? like lay them on the ground and then hold them down?

They were probably talking about the barbs on the side.

And yes, just lay them on their belly.

Put right hand on top of fish to keep it in place, wiggle hook free with left hand.

The fish is usually super tired from getting reeled in so it just lays there and grunts.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 28, 2014, 01:35:17 PM »
The Catfish Glove.  Boom! New product idea.  You're welcome, whoeves makes their next million off of that.

Does Larry The Cable Guy fish?  If so, just throw a Get 'er Done on it and split the profit with him and build the next big facility at KSU with the filthy amt of money you make.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: April 28, 2014, 01:36:47 PM »
Have to sell it via infomercial though.  One that exaggerates how hard it is to get the hook out.  Have some little guy put his weight on a fish and get bucked off like a bull rider and show his hand half severed from his arm or something.   

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 28, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »

They were probably talking about the barbs on the side.

And yes, just lay them on their belly.

Put right hand on top of fish to keep it in place, wiggle hook free with left hand.

The fish is usually super tired from getting reeled in so it just lays there and grunts.

hmmm. seems like they'd get all floppy and want to flop all around until i got ahold of them. also, what if it's just rock and gravel? can i lay a fish down on gravel? seems not right.