Author Topic: Does anyone have a Traeger smoker?  (Read 10450 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Does anyone have a Traeger smoker?
« on: June 19, 2011, 05:41:01 PM »
Thinking about ditching the BGE for a Traeger.  Does anyone here use one?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have a Traeger smoker?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »
I'm sure Wyatt could answer some questions about it

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 05:48:08 PM »
i need more cooking space.  my days dealing with an 18.5 inch cooking surface are coming to an end.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 05:56:58 PM »
i need more cooking space.  my days dealing with an 18.5 inch cooking surface are coming to an end.

Bigger Big Green Egg?

Have you ever read about these?
http://www.thegood-one.com/

Made in KS I think, supposedly pretty good cookers.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »
parents have one.  seems very easy to use.  have always enjoyed eating stuff on it but they don't do any serious bbq'ing

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 06:31:52 PM »
My aunt and uncle have one and do nothing but rave about it.  Everything I've had that was smoked on it has been fantastic.  Trout, chicken, turkey, brisket, chicken wings :lick:  etc.  Definitely great smokers if you feel like parting with a sizable amount of your meatgoatmoney.  I would kill to have one of the commercial type trailer smokers.  :love:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 06:45:57 PM »

Bigger Big Green Egg?

Have you ever read about these?
http://www.thegood-one.com/

Made in KS I think, supposedly pretty good cookers.

my buddy has a good one smoker, he loves it. 

i know the guy who owns traeger though and can get a deal on one from him.  love how i can just set it and let it go.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 08:07:51 PM »
Thinking about ditching the BGE for a Traeger.  Does anyone here use one?

HOLY crap!

Have several very close friends that have them Clams....dudes who you would have a LOT in common with.  A LOT. 

One that lives down the road from me has the Lil Tex Elite, and another guy in Shawnee has the Junior.  The guy with the Lil' Tex Elite fully admits that the Junior would be perfect in 95% of the situations.  However, all of them agree that the auto thermostat is a MUST upgrade, regardless of which one you choose.

Apparently, the sales guy in Louisburg has the best prices on pellets and is a "horse trader" on the grills....even has used ones from time to time.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »
Yeah, you can actually trade used ones in towards the purchase of a new (and likely larger) grill at certain dealers.  I would imagine you get butt raped on the trade in value but it's still kinda cool.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 08:12:33 PM »
The good one is the best I've seen.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 08:12:42 PM »
Yeah, you can actually trade used ones in towards the purchase of a new (and likely larger) grill at certain dealers.  I would imagine you get butt raped on the trade in value but it's still kinda cool.

Ya, that also creates pretty good oppys to buy used ones.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »
How do the prices compare at Cabelas vs a dealer?  Or was that just for the pic?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 08:53:32 PM »
cabelas is a dealer. 

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 09:05:57 PM »
I've got a traegar, my only complaint is that it doesn't get really hot, for grilling steaks, etc.  But it's super easy, set it, leave it alone all day for smoking, haven't had anything on it that didn't taste good.   :dunno:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 09:27:39 PM »
know someone that has a very large komodo smoker and hated it just fyi, also congrats on the engagement buck-0

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 12:50:17 PM »
Love mine. Smoked a pork tenderloin yesterday was delicious. Meat goat is fantastic out of a Traeger also.

Offline tjames

• Fan
  • WILDCARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 01:10:28 PM »
Green Mountain Grills is kinda like a generic version of the Traeger.  Does a really good job for a little less money, but hey, we are  :kstategrad:
“All right, later dudes. S you in your A’s, don’t wear a C, and J all over your B’s.”

Offline one time gella

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 01:14:29 PM »
I've got a Traeger Jr. that I haul around to comps just to do my chicken...I hate it.  It's a POS and always breaking down.  It has the digi-control and in the year I've had it, the auger went out, the fan went out and now it's just Farked.  I'd venture to say if you're cookin on an Egg, you will hate it too.  It takes the skill out of the art of BBQ.

Save your  :kstategrad: for some wagyu briskets and built/get a UDS or two.  Best damm smoker you can cook with...  As easy to control temps as an Egg and twice the capacity.  

I use 2 of them at comps (along with Jr. for the chicken thighs...when he's working) and have 3 first place calls and 5 top tens out of 5 KCBS comps I've been to

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 01:31:03 PM »
that's the thing, the build quality seems like a piece of crap.  thin metal parts,etc. 

i've been cooking wagyu since last spring, had a lot of luck with them.  i don't do it everytime but once in a while i cook w/ them.  i get mine at paradise meats in tremble, mo (north of smithville).  they're expensive and it's a haul up there.  the ones i've cooked don't make burnt ends b/c the point is weird.  mcgonigles sells choice grade brisket which cooks similar to wagyu at less cost.  they cook fast which i like and i get to make the burnt ends. 

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
C thelams,i would spend the money on a good one

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »
I've got a Traeger Jr. that I haul around to comps just to do my chicken...I hate it.  It's a POS and always breaking down.  It has the digi-control and in the year I've had it, the auger went out, the fan went out and now it's just Farked.  I'd venture to say if you're cookin on an Egg, you will hate it too.  It takes the skill out of the art of BBQ.

Save your  :kstategrad: for some wagyu briskets and built/get a UDS or two.  Best damm smoker you can cook with...  As easy to control temps as an Egg and twice the capacity.  

I use 2 of them at comps (along with Jr. for the chicken thighs...when he's working) and have 3 first place calls and 5 top tens out of 5 KCBS comps I've been to

That's why I've always kind of wanted a Traeger, but never pulled the trigger. Too easy.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 01:52:08 PM »
I've got a Traeger Jr. that I haul around to comps just to do my chicken...I hate it.  It's a POS and always breaking down.  It has the digi-control and in the year I've had it, the auger went out, the fan went out and now it's just Farked.  I'd venture to say if you're cookin on an Egg, you will hate it too. It takes the skill out of the art of BBQ.

Save your  :kstategrad: for some wagyu briskets and built/get a UDS or two.  Best damm smoker you can cook with...  As easy to control temps as an Egg and twice the capacity. 

That's why I've always kind of wanted a Traeger, but never pulled the trigger. Too easy.

cooking with an egg is damn near as easy...

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 01:52:45 PM »
I've got a Traeger Jr. that I haul around to comps just to do my chicken...I hate it.  It's a POS and always breaking down.  It has the digi-control and in the year I've had it, the auger went out, the fan went out and now it's just Farked.  I'd venture to say if you're cookin on an Egg, you will hate it too. It takes the skill out of the art of BBQ.

Save your  :kstategrad: for some wagyu briskets and built/get a UDS or two.  Best damm smoker you can cook with...  As easy to control temps as an Egg and twice the capacity. 

Not really. The egg you don't just turn a dial to a number and walk away.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 01:58:17 PM »

Not really. The egg you don't just turn a dial to a number and walk away.

you have to put meat in it