Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356525 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #2450 on: September 07, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »
I'm 29 and have a 6 figure job now, so I'd say college was a pretty good investment, jackass.

post a pdf of your paystub or i don't believe you
I'm not a rough ridin' dumbass like Tim. So, no thanks. I'll just buy all my gE bros drinks tonight at the falloon. Have fun at the Hawk.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: September 08, 2013, 02:44:25 PM »
SD if you need any Alaska travel protips I can help you out there.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: September 09, 2013, 10:52:45 AM »
I'm spending almost a week in Raliegh at the end of October. Anyone have any Raliegh pro-tips? I enjoy food, beer, wine, sports and the other finer things in life.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: September 09, 2013, 10:55:10 AM »
I'm spending almost a week in Raliegh at the end of October. Anyone have any Raliegh pro-tips? I enjoy food, beer, wine, sports and the other finer things in life.

1st pro tip: Raleigh

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: September 09, 2013, 10:58:46 AM »

Elementary school rough ridin' lied to me.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: September 09, 2013, 11:00:54 AM »

Elementary school rough ridin' lied to me.

i before e never applied to pronouns or names

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: September 09, 2013, 11:15:19 AM »
Don't go to the Angus Barn. It is overrated. Good, but not that great. Somebody in your company will want to take you their. It happens all of the effing time. I don't know a lot of great stuff in Raleigh. If there is a great show at DPAC, go there. Then you can go out in the old part of Durham afterwards. Good food nearby and a few bars as well. If the Hurricanes are in town and you like Hockey, there you go... that is good time. Been here with kids, so the trips out have largely been to places closer to home west of Raleigh. I will post a couple more suggestions later.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: September 09, 2013, 11:21:22 AM »
The "Financial District" Hilton is more in Chinatown than the Financial District. But I'd still go for Union Square. Hope you have fun, kim carnes.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: September 09, 2013, 11:24:24 AM »
also, lol @ wacky.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: September 09, 2013, 11:49:28 AM »

bring a ring
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: September 09, 2013, 11:58:08 AM »
also, lol @ wacky.

I'm not lol @ him. guy makes serious bank.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: September 09, 2013, 11:58:54 AM »
had a lot of fun in chicago this past weekend dealing with united...

first flight: MCI to ORD friday afternoon-

flight delayed 45 minutes due to mechanical issues, then put in penalty box at ORD. waited on the runway to get off the plane for another 30 minutes.

second flight: ORD to MCI sunday afternoon (kind of)-

flight schedule at 4:45, cancelled at 3:07 due to mechanical issues. i was rescheduled for today at noon. i talk to the guy at the kiosk, he tells me there are no other available flights but theres a good chance i can get on standby (i was the 22nd person on the standby list for the remaining 2 united flights to MCI that evening  :dubious:). he refuses to call another airline to put me on and apologizes. i go a ways down and talk to another lady from united, who puts me on the 6 am flight this morning, calls american and 2 or 3 other airlines to get me home with no luck. gives me rental car reimbursement information. they were going to pay for all of it + reimburse my flight had i chosen to drive the 8 hours home...

i will say that it wasnt a united plane, it was  like mesa airlines doing business as united express, i think?

anywho- i guess the lesson here is that sometimes the representatives are just dicks and dont want to take the time to help you so just ask another one?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: September 09, 2013, 12:03:25 PM »
never talk to the people at the airport. they can't and won't do crap for you. call united immediately while all the other losers que up to talk to the one guy at the United desk. get on kayak or something and find the flight you want to get on from where you are at. they will put you on it. if you want to fly SW they will let you but they can't book it for you. they will let you book it and send them the conifrmation and they will reimburse you for it.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
NYC
« Reply #2463 on: September 09, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
I hated living there (too crowded, too loud, too cold, too much for me) but I love visiting. I love the luxury hotels in Manhattan as well as the amazing restaurants--not to mention, some of my favorite people in the world live there. I love that there are so many different neighborhoods to explore, and so many options for a luxury hotel junkie like me to check out.

On this particular trip, I chose to stay for two nights at three very different hotels. Keeping in mind that we have clients with a wide variety of style, budget & neighborhood preference, I started my week uptown at the newly redone Surrey Hotel before heading down to the Meatpacking district (which didn't exist as a tourist zone when I lived in NYC. There I spent two nights at the members-only Soho House (which many don't know is also a hotel!) then crossed the street for a stay at the equally cool Gansevoort Hotel.

Loved The Surrey for its elegant uptown charm. The vintage-inspired, grey and white (with touches of black( decor is a refreshing change from your typical five-star hotel, and the unique furnishings, intimate ambience, and Duxiana beds makes it a winner in my book. The proximity to Central Park and Madison Avenue shopping are other selling points, as is the room service by Daniel Boulud.

Just as I was falling in love with The Surrey, it was time to head to the opposite end of the city for my SoHo House stay. Gotta tell you, I liked it equally as much--for totally different reasons. The personality of the small property rivals the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse Lounge (which I love). Cowshed spa products and the dresser drawer filled with "minibar" items ranging from guidebooks to accessories to stationary offer much more than your typical bathroom experience + drink/snack set up. Platform beds, a red tub & quirky furnishings add to the fun ambience. Best part about staying here though, is the entree to the hip, members-only Bar/Lounge/Club, where free WiFi is a given and the atmosphere is perfect for everything from breakfast meetings to late-night cocktails.

For those who want to experience the happening Meatpacking district location but prefer a slightly different style of hotel than SoHo House can't go wrong at The Gansevoort. It's steps awway from Pastis (my fave bfast & late night dinner spot), has its own Exhale Spa (with yoga classes) on site, as well as a rooftop pool & one of the most popular night spots (Plunge) in town. Not to mention, I loved my Grand Deluxe room with its oversized corner window nook that was a great spot to people watch & check out who's wearing what (as in, do I need an umbrella and/or rain boots). Overall, the chic decor is cool without being cold. The staff was super friendly and the location truly ideal for a "new to downtown" type like me, as the shops of 14th streets, the food & flower-filled Chelsea Market and area restaurants like Spice Market, Fig & Olive & The Standard Grill were all within a two minute walk.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: September 09, 2013, 12:40:20 PM »
Don't go to the Angus Barn. It is overrated. Good, but not that great. Somebody in your company will want to take you their. It happens all of the effing time. I don't know a lot of great stuff in Raleigh. If there is a great show at DPAC, go there. Then you can go out in the old part of Durham afterwards. Good food nearby and a few bars as well. If the Hurricanes are in town and you like Hockey, there you go... that is good time. Been here with kids, so the trips out have largely been to places closer to home west of Raleigh. I will post a couple more suggestions later.

Not for business, visiting the lady friend.  She's got some things in mind, but if there are some "CAN'T MISS" things, I definitely want to get those added to the agenda.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: September 09, 2013, 12:45:36 PM »
also, lol @ wacky.

I'm not lol @ him. guy makes serious bank.

this is a good point, six figures are a lot.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: September 09, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »

Not for business, visiting the lady friend.  She's got some things in mind, but if there are some "CAN'T MISS" things, I definitely want to get those added to the agenda.

ring

^ this

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: September 09, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »
bring the ring! 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: September 09, 2013, 09:45:23 PM »
Rusty, any early leads on an SF emaw watch Party sat?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: September 09, 2013, 09:47:52 PM »

This Saturday? No. Kstatehd doesn't work too well for that.

I went to one for the UL game, though. It was at the fabulous Ricky's in San Leandro. Seriously one of the greatest, grungiest sports bars in America.

Online kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: September 09, 2013, 11:04:02 PM »
pretty crazy that the going rate for a phoenix MBA grad with zero sales experience is 100k+

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: September 09, 2013, 11:12:47 PM »
I went to Murphy's in wriggleyville on Saturday. Side room that fit about 35 people was set up. Very BWWing-y.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: September 09, 2013, 11:23:29 PM »

This Saturday? No. Kstatehd doesn't work too well for that.

I went to one for the UL game, though. It was at the fabulous Ricky's in San Leandro. Seriously one of the greatest, grungiest sports bars in America.

CURRIE :shakesfist:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: September 12, 2013, 08:39:44 AM »
Leaving for Chicago this afternoon on SW and just got this email from southwest, free TV on the flight!!!

Hello Valued Customer,
Your flight on September 12, 2013 is currently scheduled to be on one of our WiFi-enabled planes and features free live TV compliments of DISH! Using your own laptop, tablet or smartphone, you will have unlimited access to both live channels and on-demand television shows at no cost.
View a list of compatible devices.

Live Television Channels
On-Demand Programming       Web Browsing**
E-mail      Classic & Recent Releases
Kid Friendly Options
* Wifi and Movies are priced all day per device on Wifi-enabled aircraft.
** To provide top-notch web browsing to all Customers, we prohibit access to select streaming services.

WiFi, TV and Movies are all offered separately. You do not have to purchase WiFi to enjoy TV or movies.
Should you change your flight, have a connecting flight, or if operational circumstances result in an aircraft swap, please note that the alternate aircraft may not be equipped with WiFi, TV, and movies.
For travel to/from San Juan Puerto Rico: WiFi, TV, and movies are not currently available for the entire duration of your flight.

Once onboard and the Flight Attendant has indicated it is safe to turn on approved WiFi-enabled devices, simply select "Southwest WiFi" from the available networks and launch your web browser to be directed to the Southwest Airlines Inflight Entertainment Portal. From there you can access free TV, track your flight or purchase WiFi and movies.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2474 on: September 12, 2013, 08:42:10 AM »
Nice flight entertainment! Nothing good on my flights to Houston.