Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1357164 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #2350 on: August 20, 2013, 12:59:13 PM »
For a beach vacation: Hawaii or somewhere in Mexico or central America? pros/cons of each?

have been to mexico and hawaii multiple times each and will probably not go back to mexico. have not been to central america. hawaii has better water, surf & snorkling where I have gone. I've only been to cancun, cabo and the gulf coast of mexico south of padre though so I'm sure it has better options than what I saw. mexico will be cheaper apples to apples.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: August 20, 2013, 01:13:36 PM »
Hawaii and it's not even close in this poster's opinion.  I can't fathom why someone not on spring break would want to vacation in Mexico when there are so many better options. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: August 20, 2013, 01:24:57 PM »
Hawaii and it's not even close in this poster's opinion.  I can't fathom why someone not on spring break would want to vacation in Mexico when there are so many better options.

cancun area is cheap and easy to get to/out of so i can see why people would want to do it. but westcoastrus is already on the west coast, so i'd hawaii it if i were him.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: August 20, 2013, 01:28:48 PM »

cancun area is cheap and easy to get to/out of so i can see why people would want to do it. but westcoastrus is already on the west coast, so i'd hawaii it if i were him.

I went to Cancun on spring break and it was okay for getting black out drunk with other random college party people, but I would have hated it as an adult.  Same for Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta.  Remove my youngness and the crazy partying oppies with other like-minded and like-aged individuals and eff no.  I don't care how cheap it is Rusty, don't you do it. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: August 20, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »
Rus, let me plan your entire trip! I will make it essentially free!  :fatty:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: August 20, 2013, 01:38:54 PM »

I went to Cancun on spring break and it was okay for getting black out drunk with other random college party people, but I would have hated it as an adult.  Same for Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta.  Remove my youngness and the crazy partying oppies with other like-minded and like-aged individuals and eff no.  I don't care how cheap it is Rusty, don't you do it.

yeah. i don't think i'd really like cancun as an adult during the middle of spring break either. ii can understand why adults would sometimes go there instead of hawaii though. i mean eff it. why even go to hawaii when the maldives are just sitting there. right, bread?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: August 20, 2013, 01:39:29 PM »

yes. westcoastrus should do this. heck, i'm going to do this in a couple of years.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: August 20, 2013, 01:45:16 PM »

PVR is far from a college-get-drunk destination.  Sure, spring breakers go, but the vast majority are laid back older people and a lot of ex-pats.    I'd never go back to Playa Del Carmen having been there once (and certainly would never go to Cancun).    PVR doesn't have the clear water or white sand beaches of the Carribbean side, but it has a lot more to offer in the terms of culture and other experiences.   And many of the smaller coastal towns can be a lot of fun too, depending on what you are into.

Have never been to Hawaii, so can't speak to that.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: August 20, 2013, 01:48:24 PM »

OK, we're thinking next April.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: August 20, 2013, 01:51:14 PM »

OK, we're thinking next April.

how many points/miles do you have? is it 2 or 4 people? what is your comfort level for applying for new cards? how many nights are you thinking? specific island or can I choose? PM if needed. :users:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: August 20, 2013, 01:52:50 PM »
Bahamas >> Mexico IMO

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: August 20, 2013, 01:54:10 PM »
I have basically no miles right now, but United is easiest for me to build up w/ lots of travel. Have really only done one SW card, a Delta card, and a United Explorer card so I'm pretty wide open. Was planning on doing Sapphire next but can be swayed.

4 people

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: August 20, 2013, 01:58:13 PM »
I have basically no miles right now, but United is easiest for me to build up w/ lots of travel. Have really only done one SW card, a Delta card, and a United Explorer card so I'm pretty wide open. Was planning on doing Sapphire next but can be swayed.

4 people

go to kauai. stay at the grand hyatt kauai. you and the wife each get the hyatt card sometime this year and that gets you 4 nights there. you can use UR points for additional nights at 22k a night from there. with no points right now you are going to have a tough time getting free flights in that timeframe. best bet would be to find cheap airfare for 4 or find award space on a flight for 1 or 2 people and pay for the remainder. award space is tough as crap to get to hawaii anyway and it has been open for next April for a few months now so your availability may already be spotty.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: August 20, 2013, 02:06:16 PM »

4 people

go to kauai. stay at the grand hyatt kauai. you and the wife each get the hyatt card sometime this year and that gets you 4 nights there. you can use UR points for additional nights at 22k a night from there. with no points right now you are going to have a tough time getting free flights in that timeframe. best bet would be to find cheap airfare for 4 or find award space on a flight for 1 or 2 people and pay for the remainder. award space is tough as crap to get to hawaii anyway and it has been open for next April for a few months now so your availability may already be spotty.

make sure you take advantage of that MHK-PHX flight!

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: August 20, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »
SD, can you plan my wife and I are taking next year to Italy and Greece in May/June? Only CC's I have right now are Chase Visa (Southwest) and AMEX (Starwood). What do I need to do on points/flights/etc...?

T-Y,
ETP

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: August 20, 2013, 02:08:08 PM »
SD, can you plan my wife and I are taking next year to Italy and Greece in May/June? Only CC's I have right now are Chase Visa (Southwest) and AMEX (Starwood). What do I need to do on points/flights/etc...?

T-Y,
ETP

Switch it to May/June 2015 and I will

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: August 20, 2013, 02:11:15 PM »

T-Y,
ETP

steve dave giveth and steve dave maketh you delay until next year

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: August 20, 2013, 02:11:26 PM »

4 people

we were kind of thinking Kauai. Would award booking at the Hyatt be difficult? How soon would it need to be booked?

Right now flights from OAK are under $600 on Hawaii Air, which isn't half bad. United still has saver awards available if I travel on a Monday.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: August 20, 2013, 02:15:30 PM »

4 people

we were kind of thinking Kauai. Would award booking at the Hyatt be difficult? How soon would it need to be booked?

Right now flights from OAK are under $600 on Hawaii Air, which isn't half bad. United still has saver awards available if I travel on a Monday.

No, you will normally be able to book the Hyatt on points a few months out unless there is some huge convention there or something. That's a pretty good price for the flight.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: August 20, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
Also, I can see that 22k UR points for a night at the Hyatt is probably worth more than 40k on flights at those prices.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: August 20, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »

PVR is far from a college-get-drunk destination.  Sure, spring breakers go, but the vast majority are laid back older people and a lot of ex-pats.    I'd never go back to Playa Del Carmen having been there once (and certainly would never go to Cancun).    PVR doesn't have the clear water or white sand beaches of the Carribbean side, but it has a lot more to offer in the terms of culture and other experiences.   And many of the smaller coastal towns can be a lot of fun too, depending on what you are into.

Have never been to Hawaii, so can't speak to that.

It wasn't that far from it when I was there.  Me now would be bored out of my mind and put out the entire time as a result. 

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: August 20, 2013, 02:37:35 PM »

yeah. i don't think i'd really like cancun as an adult during the middle of spring break either. ii can understand why adults would sometimes go there instead of hawaii though. i mean eff it. why even go to hawaii when the maldives are just sitting there. right, bread?

Cancun as an adult would be shitty whenever you go unless you enjoy having a terrible time at a subpar locale.  The maldives look awful.  Too small and low.  Might as well take a vacation on a pontoon boat in the middle of the Indian Ocean.  Maybe you'd like to suggest Beirut, great beaches I hear and crazy cheap. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: August 20, 2013, 02:41:42 PM »
Also, I can see that 22k UR points for a night at the Hyatt is probably worth more than 40k on flights at those prices.

yep

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: August 20, 2013, 03:41:56 PM »

T-Y,
ETP

OK -- give me a minute.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: August 20, 2013, 03:42:17 PM »

T-Y,
ETP

OK -- give me a minute.

ok - i switched it. plz advise.