Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1347909 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #1025 on: September 19, 2012, 03:53:20 PM »
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewanderingaramean/2012/09/is-the-american-airlines-operation-really-in-shambles/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boardingarea%2Fthewanderingaramean+%28The+Wandering+Aramean%29

:sdeek:

three straight hours on the phone with AA and BA this morning/afternoon. the BA rep was talking so much trash on AA that i was just for a good fifteen minutes  :surprised:

going to send an email to our goEMAW.com inside AA source to find out what's going on.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #1026 on: September 19, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »
Worried about upcoming flights

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: September 19, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »
The exec plats I know are pissed.

EDIT: meant exec not elite
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:52:36 PM by TheCatFanSpeaks »

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: September 19, 2012, 04:24:03 PM »
Worried about upcoming flights

i have 6 flights booked right now over the next 4 months. none with aa. :gocho:

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: September 19, 2012, 04:34:45 PM »
The golden years of MHK already behind us? :sdeek:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #1030 on: September 19, 2012, 05:04:59 PM »
@stevedaveKSU @AmericanAir worried about upcoming travel, reading about stuff coming unravelled at AA. Reassure me please!

@AmericanAir @stevedaveKSU We look forward to seeing you next week! Thanks for flying with us!

LOLWUT!?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #1031 on: September 19, 2012, 05:09:20 PM »
@stevedaveKSU Or next month? Next year? ;) Hopefully soon, Steve!

LOLWUT!?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #1032 on: September 19, 2012, 05:14:46 PM »
Well, thank you for addressing my concerns anyway :flush: RT @AmericanAir @stevedaveKSU Or next month? Next year? ;) Hopefully soon, Steve!

@stevedaveKSU You're welcome, Steve! :)
HootSuite · 5:12 PM

I mean........

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: September 19, 2012, 05:27:21 PM »
you would get more help from horse ebooks

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: September 19, 2012, 07:01:09 PM »
@stevedaveKSU Or next month? Next year? ;) Hopefully soon, Steve!

LOLWUT!?

omg  :lol:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: September 20, 2012, 07:20:37 PM »
known jackass brian kelly chimes in with his two cents on the whole american airlines fiasco...

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/09/american-airlines-operations-crisis-and-what-it-means-for-you/

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: September 20, 2012, 07:50:17 PM »
I flew AA ICT-DFW last week.  Departing flight left an hour late due to plane maintenance issues.  Return flight left 4 hours late (@1AM :sdeek:) again due to maintenance, switching planes, and then maintenance on the new plane. 

Can't wait to do it again next month.   :excited:  Or maybe I'll just :driving:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: September 20, 2012, 07:59:33 PM »
I can't complain, got three or four good trips out of MHK in the last few years. I guess churning those US air cards might be pointless now.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: September 20, 2012, 08:23:41 PM »
I can't complain, got three or four good trips out of MHK in the last few years. I guess churning those US air cards might be pointless now.

i don't think so. i'd churn like you've never churned before. jmo.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: September 21, 2012, 12:20:13 PM »
Email sent to a travel blogger from AA

At American, we always do our best to provide our customers with a smooth travel experience. You may have seen recent media reports about American’s operational challenges or even experienced a service disruption yourself. Whatever the circumstance, I am truly sorry for any inconvenience to you. I also want to let you know what’s going on and assure you that we stand ready to help.

Prior to recent issues, American has been running an extremely good operation, with reliability measures at their best levels in many years. The recent delays are due to the increase in maintenance write-ups by our pilots, many right at the time of departure. Our maintenance teams are responding appropriately to such reports, which may cause interruptions in our schedules. I know you will agree that nothing is more important than running a safe and reliable operation. Ensuring the safety of our customers is always our highest priority.

We are taking several immediate steps to improve our service during this period. We are proactively reducing the rest of our September and October schedule by approximately one to two percent. These schedule adjustments will enable us to provide our customers with more reliable service while minimizing impact to travel plans. Additionally, we are increasing staffing of maintenance, reservations and airport personnel to offer you more flexible travel options.

As always, our goal is to get you to your destination safely and on-time. Because you are a valued elite member, should you find that on your day of departure these issues will cause you to arrive more than one hour late at your final destination, all you have to do is ask and we’ll do our best to arrange an alternative. We will seek out the best available reaccommodation, whether that is on American or on another carrier — or if you prefer, we will let you cancel your reservation and receive a refund. Your needs are our primary focus.

Above all, I want to thank you for your business and your support. We do not take your loyalty for granted and are working hard on your behalf.

And stupid dumbfuck Gary Leff weighs in

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing/2012/09/21/americans-commitment-to-elite-members-one-hour-delays-entitle-re-routing-even-on-other-airlines-or-refund/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boardingarea%2Fviewfromthewing+%28View+from+the+Wing%29

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: September 21, 2012, 05:20:14 PM »

Should be relevant this week. Check out the rube in the OU sweatshirt in front of me in Pamplona

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #1041 on: September 21, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »
Oh man I hope you flat tired him and he got trampled when he stopped to put his euro croc back on

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: October 09, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »
I'm about to be out of the office traveling until 11/26  :blank:

East Lansing, D.C., OKC, Melbourne, FL, Indianapolis, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta and Denver in that order. So, you know, hold the fort down  :dunno:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: October 10, 2012, 05:03:24 PM »
If anyone ever needs to rent a car in Europe, I would suggest using http://www.auto-europe.co.uk (and be sure to use the UK site)

I got a Benz for the same price as an Opal would have been through Priceline/Hertz.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: October 11, 2012, 10:03:58 AM »
I'm about to be out of the office traveling until 11/26  :blank:

East Lansing, D.C., OKC, Melbourne, FL, Indianapolis, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta and Denver in that order. So, you know, hold the fort down  :dunno:

Man, I can't tell if all that is a humble brag or a humble FML.  :dunno:
Bon voyage, AppleJack! :D

Offline Not Sure

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: October 20, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »
Did a two week honeymoon in Iceland over the summer.  Couldn't recommend it any more.  It has everything you want in international travel, including a bizarre language as well as monopoly money currency.  Their financial collapse in '08 certainly helped to make things a lot cheaper.  Plus, from where I am, it was strangely cheaper to fly to Reykjavik than to MCI... gotta love government travel subsidies  :kstategrad:

The whole country is like a gigantic Yellowstone with glaciers and volcanic hotspots not too far away from each other.  You can be hiking along a trail and see natural hot springs and jump in.  It's an epiclly awesome place to go deep sea fishing, you'll probably see whales and other non-kansas related sea creatures.  We stayed at a family run bed and breakfast-type place in the Westfjords area for a few days that offered some horses and kayaks to rent.  The sun never actually went down when we were there.

If you get the chance, definitely check it out.  It isn't as far away as you think and it isn't that expensive.  You could go there for a week pretty reasonably. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: October 20, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »
Great report, it seems like the food would be gross in Iceland. Otherwise pretty amazing.

Offline Not Sure

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: October 20, 2012, 04:06:29 PM »
The food can be kind of a tale of two worlds.  It can be from super-traditional fermented shark and head cheese to some really good seafood and lamb dishes.  Because they have a crap ton of geothermal power, they grow most of their own fruits and veggies in local greenhouses.  The No Reservations episode for Iceland pretty much sums it up.  We ate at this great place in a suburban area in Reykjavik and found out after we got back that Anthony Bordain filmed a segment there.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: October 24, 2012, 08:26:34 PM »
Hard to follow up that amazing Iceland report.
If anybody is ever in West Palm Beach area, my god you must go to Souvlaki Grill. I try to find good local gyros everywhere I go. This is possibly the best gyro I've ever had (never been to Greece though so take it fwiw).
It's like the Best Fish Tacos of gyros

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: October 24, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »
Hard to follow up that amazing Iceland report.
If anybody is ever in West Palm Beach area, my god you must go to Souvlaki Grill. I try to find good local gyros everywhere I go. This is possibly the best gyro I've ever had (never been to Greece though so take it fwiw).
It's like the Best Fish Tacos of gyros

west palm beach and palm beach as a whole though barf, right mocat? that whole area has no soul. very zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. also, i do the same but with jamaican food instead of gyros.