Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1334318 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #975 on: August 23, 2012, 11:46:10 AM »
There is a good brewpub at Laclede's Landing which is basically aggieville. St. Louis Brewery (Schafly) has a pub with food also, which is sweet. Pappy's smokehouse was on man vs food. The Hill is full of good italian places that get hyped alot.

i think maybe you can also find a few Cheesecake Factories.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: August 23, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »
I'm in saint Louis until Sunday, where are some good places to go to eat? Lunch and dinner suggestions are accepted. They already started taking about going to Texas road house some night, I need to stop this talk quickly. Tia.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Zio's on the Hill, great Italian food.

Broadway Oyster Bar - Nice little dive bar across from Cardinals stadium if you like oysters and cajun food.   

If you want upscale, Farmhaus is supposed to be great.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: August 23, 2012, 01:59:45 PM »
there's a mcdonald's located ON A RIVER BOAT (river boat) right down by the arch.  yes, it's in the water LMAO.  did i say a river jeep?  did i say land spaceship?  it's an actual river boat.  huge white one.  regardless, you have to check it out.  every few hours  they untie it and head up and down the Mississippi back and forth, up and down, circles, etc.  it's a fantastic time.   every time.  i'll tell you what, i spent hours on it last time i was in the STL.  the captain let me drive it for a while.  i can email him if you ask me to in this thread.  just reply to this post and say so because i will do it.  no worries, just get me an ice cold brew sometime. 

you've got to check it out.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: travel thread
« Reply #978 on: August 23, 2012, 03:00:03 PM »
there's a mcdonald's located ON A RIVER BOAT (river boat) right down by the arch.  yes, it's in the water LMAO.  did i say a river jeep?  did i say land spaceship?  it's an actual river boat.  huge white one.  regardless, you have to check it out.  every few hours  they untie it and head up and down the Mississippi back and forth, up and down, circles, etc.  it's a fantastic time.   every time.  i'll tell you what, i spent hours on it last time i was in the STL.  the captain let me drive it for a while.  i can email him if you ask me to in this thread.  just reply to this post and say so because i will do it.  no worries, just get me an ice cold brew sometime. 

We had some McDonald's breakfast right before we left, then lunch at the McDonald's in Columbia (college town McDonald's :love: ) there is one at the cardinals stadium, and let's face it, who isn't going to eat at  McDonald's if they see one, IN A BASEBALL STADIUM?!!? I've never had McDonald's on a boat this week, so I might have to try that out? Is there one at the top of the arch? If not, I don't see a reason to go up there.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: August 23, 2012, 03:10:09 PM »
don't go up in the arch, it's not safe up there and there's nothing to eat.   period.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: August 23, 2012, 03:16:18 PM »
don't go up in the arch, it's not safe up there and there's nothing to eat.   period.
Yeah, if the elevator breaks, you only have 15 minutes of oxygen. It is a major design flaw.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: August 23, 2012, 03:17:45 PM »
Yeah, if the elevator breaks, you only have 15 minutes of oxygen. It is a major design flaw.

Well i mean you could just pop open a window

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: August 23, 2012, 03:20:49 PM »

Well i mean you could just pop open a window
At that altitude?  :horrorsurprise: Are you nuts? You'd get sucked right out of there from the pressure difference.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: August 23, 2012, 03:26:28 PM »

:horrorsurprise: Literally just read this article

http://nation.time.com/2012/08/23/the-big-dry-up-where-the-missouri-and-the-mississippi-meet/

Earlier this month, while inspecting Saint Louis Harbor, Lynn Muench pointed to an abandoned hulk rising out of the parched Mississippi River and asked, “What the heck is that? It almost looks like a Burger King.” Turns out she was right: Twenty years ago, the sunken barge was a Burger King restaurant that was tied up near the Saint Louis Arch. It broke loose and sank during the flood of 1993. It disappeared under the water until this month, when the Mississippi hit near all-time lows.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: August 23, 2012, 03:26:48 PM »
Why is it there?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: August 23, 2012, 03:32:46 PM »
Why is it there?

McDonald's was in the process of building the worlds largest mcdonalds as a sort of global tourist attraction, but the builder forged some soil tests and the city halted the project. All that's left is that half of the golden arches.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: August 23, 2012, 04:32:15 PM »
Why is it there?

two words:  racism

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: August 29, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »
http://www.huskercruise.com

Events with our Husker stars will include lecture sessions from players and coaches discussing the 2013 recruiting class and the Big 10 conference. Husker Idol, Belly-Flop contest, Blackjack & "Nebraska" Hold’em tournaments, Husker Bingo, Autograph Sessions, a cocktail party and much more!

Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: August 29, 2012, 02:33:31 PM »

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: August 30, 2012, 08:48:20 AM »
Lufthansa, don't you do this crap to me!  :shakesfist:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: August 30, 2012, 09:45:16 AM »

are they striking? 

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 30, 2012, 09:54:09 AM »

that's what you get for supporting Nazis!

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 30, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
FRANKFURT, Aug 30 (Reuters) - Lufthansa passengers face widespread flight disruption from Friday after cabin crew representatives said they would start a series of strikes over pay and cost-cutting measures at Germany's largest airline.

The UFO union, which represents around two thirds of Lufthansa's 19,000 cabin crew, would not say on Thursday which locations would be targeted or give the exact timing of strikes, saying only it would give six hours' notice.

Financial Times Deutschland said cabin crew members were preparing to hold the strikes in Frankfurt and Munich, citing UFO sources. It said on its website the union was discussing whether the strikes would also include Berlin.

The strikes come as Lufthansa cuts jobs and implements a three-year cost-cutting programme to boost margins and finance investment in planes in the face of a weakening economy, high fuel costs and increased competition from low-cost carriers.

Germany's leading airline, which operates around 1,850 flights daily mostly from Frankfurt and Munich, needs to generate more profit to pay for 17 billion euros ($21 billion) of more fuel-efficient aircraft on order.

Lufthansa and the UFO union have been negotiating for 13 months, with the union demanding a 5 percent pay rise and guarantees that Lufthansa will not outsource jobs and use more temporary workers, as it has already done in Berlin.

Talks broke down on Tuesday, and while Lufthansa has called for further negotiations, it maintains that cabin crew must contribute to the cost-cutting programme.

"It may well be that this industrial action could continue for a very long time," UFO said on its website.

UFO said the first wave of strikes would cover certain airports, rather than nationwide action. It has previously mentioned Berlin, Frankfurt and Munich as likely candidates.

"We do not want to give Lufthansa the opportunity to prepare for the strike by getting replacement crews ready," UFO head Nicoley Baublies told Reuters.

Lufthansa has previously said it would seek to keep disruptions to a minimum by using cabin crew who were not part of the union and by drafting staff from other units.

A spokesman for the airline said it had several strategies to mitigate the impact of striking staff and would prioritise long-haul flights.

Lufthansa estimates a nationwide strike on a busy day would cost it millions of euros. Analysts have said costs could be kept to around 5 million euros a day if flight cancellations were kept to a few hundred.

($1 = 0.7982 euro) (Reporting by Marilyn Gerlach and Peter Maushagen; Editing by Mark Potter and Helen Massy-Beresford)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 30, 2012, 10:14:23 AM »
ok lufty, just work it out before December. t-y

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 30, 2012, 10:56:31 AM »
Don't you even care about me?  :cry:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 30, 2012, 11:00:52 AM »

a little.  ask them to get you on Swiss.  hear that's pretty elite and they partner with lufty on their point program. 

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: August 30, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »

a little.  ask them to get you on Swiss.  hear that's pretty elite and they partner with lufty on their point program.

Swiss is the most elite airline i've ever been on. Free alcohol? yes plz.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 30, 2012, 11:03:11 AM »
http://www.huskercruise.com

Events with our Husker stars will include lecture sessions from players and coaches discussing the 2013 recruiting class and the Big 10 conference. Husker Idol, Belly-Flop contest, Blackjack & "Nebraska" Hold’em tournaments, Husker Bingo, Autograph Sessions, a cocktail party and much more!

The butthurt!  :lol:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: August 30, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »

all the asian and euro carriers have free booze. american carriers are mocked by the global flying community pretty hard. 

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: August 30, 2012, 11:07:44 AM »

all the asian and euro carriers have free booze. american carriers are mocked by the global flying community pretty hard.

asian, yes. i've flown on ryan, aer lingus and some other euro carrier and swiss was the only one i received free booze on.