Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1334865 times)

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #950 on: August 11, 2012, 07:27:19 AM »
pretty elite though amirite

Looks that way.  Of course, I've done nothing other than inspect them in my living room.

Are there maximum size limits on checked bags?  They've got the same 9 spinner in 25, 26, 28 and 29 relatively cheap too.  I'll get the biggest one that won't be a hassle.

In general 9x14x22 is the max. the 22" one is the largest size that will fit in all full size domestic jets (not using the expandable part). if the 4 wheeler is equal or less dimensions it'll be good to go.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: August 11, 2012, 11:32:46 AM »

Looks that way.  Of course, I've done nothing other than inspect them in my living room.

Are there maximum size limits on checked bags?  They've got the same 9 spinner in 25, 26, 28 and 29 relatively cheap too.  I'll get the biggest one that won't be a hassle.

In general 9x14x22 is the max. the 22" one is the largest size that will fit in all full size domestic jets (not using the expandable part). if the 4 wheeler is equal or less dimensions it'll be good to go.

I'm keeping the 21-inch 4-wheeler for a carry-on bag.  I want to get a big 4-wheeler to check for long trips.  Any reason not to get the biggest one they make?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 11, 2012, 11:43:19 AM »

I'm keeping the 21-inch 4-wheeler for a carry-on bag.  I want to get a big 4-wheeler to check for long trips.  Any reason not to get the biggest one they make?

the only reason would be that it's a pain in the ass to get it under 50 lbs to check.  I'd shoot for the next to biggest personally if doing it again. our monster bag can't be filled anywhere near full or it goes over 50 and we have to pay extra to check it.  70 lbs is the weight limit if flying first class. 

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 11, 2012, 12:24:08 PM »

the only reason would be that it's a pain in the ass to get it under 50 lbs to check.  I'd shoot for the next to biggest personally if doing it again. our monster bag can't be filled anywhere near full or it goes over 50 and we have to pay extra to check it.  70 lbs is the weight limit if flying first class.

Flew Delta (dislike) a couple of weeks ago and the wife's bag was at 54 lbs. They only wanted $90 extra for the 4 lbs over

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 12, 2012, 09:04:07 PM »
Going to NYC tomorrow, never been.  Flying in to LaGuardia & staying in Midtown.  Subway or Taxi to my hotel?  This is my only real question, going to wing-it the rest of the time.  I like winging-it when I go somewhere on vacation, and I figure Manhattan is probably the best winging-it location in North America.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #955 on: August 12, 2012, 09:10:07 PM »
Taxi

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: August 12, 2012, 09:31:33 PM »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 13, 2012, 09:56:28 AM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 13, 2012, 09:57:26 AM »
Taxi

Thanks, will do.

no way, hop on the subway.

lol

goEMAW is like google maps except you get PI'd with your answer

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: August 13, 2012, 10:25:34 AM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: August 13, 2012, 10:27:03 AM »
Taxi

Thanks, will do.

bus

have you done this?  curious how long it takes.

Have done twice. First time was about 20 minutes. Second time about an hour due to waiting for next bus. Takes you to Grand Central. It's like $12

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: August 13, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »
that's not bad but isn't going to end up saving a couple people much money at all.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: August 13, 2012, 10:34:35 AM »
Taxi

Thanks, will do.

bus

have done this a couple times, abotu 30 minutes for both. but depending on where you're going you'll have to take the subway from there, so i would say taxi is best unless you're going to Port Authority or GC.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: August 13, 2012, 12:48:36 PM »
Taxi

Thanks, will do.

bus

Have done twice. First time was about 20 minutes. Second time about an hour due to waiting for next bus. Takes you to Grand Central. It's like $12

not that bus. I'm talking about the one that takes you straight to uptown for $2 or whatever the MTA costs. I've actually done the bus/subway combo. You get off the bus and hop on a train in Queens. What's more winging it than getting off a bus in some random intersection in Queens? It doesn't take long, depending on how close you are to the next bus.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: August 13, 2012, 12:50:21 PM »
a cab from LGA to anywhere you want to go is, like, $30.  nothing mentioned so far can really compete with it. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: August 13, 2012, 12:53:01 PM »
a cab from LGA to anywhere you want to go is, like, $30.  nothing mentioned so far can really compete with it. 

except the bus/subway that takes the exact same amount of time for $2.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: August 13, 2012, 12:53:59 PM »

lol at the exact same amount of time  :lol:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: August 13, 2012, 12:56:39 PM »

lol at the exact same amount of time comment  :lol:

"oh, what's that, you're stuck on the queensboro bridge in a fart-absorbing taxi? oh, I'm already at the bar. :lol:"

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: August 13, 2012, 12:59:43 PM »
midtown tunnel dipshit

Offline Teddy_Westside

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: August 13, 2012, 03:20:52 PM »

That's pretty much exactly what hamburglar and I just spent from LGA to our hotel.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: travel thread
« Reply #971 on: August 14, 2012, 05:38:28 PM »

That's pretty much exactly what hamburglar and I just spent from LGA to our hotel.
Oh man I can just imagine hamburglar, t. Westside, and other triplet bro tearing up NYC
I'm purple down

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: August 17, 2012, 12:49:22 AM »
Very pleased with the travelpro crew 9 21-inch 4-wheeler in its debut.  I found myself pushing it quite a bit rather than pulling it on 2 wheels, but in either shorts/sandals/pakhead shirt or my suit and tie, so hopefully I didn't look like a pleated bad person.  Just ordered the 25 and 29 inch'rs to round out the set.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: August 23, 2012, 11:34:45 AM »
I'm in saint Louis until Sunday, where are some good places to go to eat? Lunch and dinner suggestions are accepted. They already started taking about going to Texas road house some night, I need to stop this talk quickly. Tia.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: August 23, 2012, 11:44:26 AM »
I'm in saint Louis until Sunday, where are some good places to go to eat? Lunch and dinner suggestions are accepted. They already started taking about going to Texas road house some night, I need to stop this talk quickly. Tia.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Ask the concierge. Even if you are at a Holiday Inn Express, they will tell you where to eat. Tell them you want to avoid the chains and don't ask when your friends are around, because they might say, "Is there a Bennigans around here!?" I have eaten at a couple of great restaurants down town, but I can't think of the names right now.