Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1346016 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #925 on: August 08, 2012, 08:55:03 AM »
hands down the best-for-the-price carry on is the Travelpro crew series.  I have two of the Crew 8 22" rollaboard suiters for mrs. dave and myself.  They just came out with the Crew 9 so you may be able to get a good deal on amazon or somewhere for the Crew 8 or just get the Crew 9 because I'm sure it's elite.  It will carry on to all regular sized birds but you will have to gate check on american eagle and other commuter jets but you would have to with anything bigger than a briefcase.

http://www.travelpro.com/collection.cfm?collection=Crew%209

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: August 08, 2012, 08:56:26 AM »
yes, confirmed ridiculous low prices for the Crew 8.  everyone should buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Expandable-Rollaboard-Suiter-Size/dp/B003H4Q06O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344434154&sr=8-1&keywords=travelpro+crew+22

amazon prices on the new Crew 9 also pretty good

http://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Luggage-22-Inch-Expandable-Rollaboard/dp/B0089AXY7O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344434154&sr=8-2&keywords=travelpro+crew+22

I've not played with a Crew 9 so I don't know what upgrades they've made.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: August 08, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »
hands down the best-for-the-price carry on is the Travelpro crew series.  I have two of the Crew 8 22" rollaboard suiters for mrs. dave and myself.  They just came out with the Crew 9 so you may be able to get a good deal on amazon or somewhere for the Crew 8 or just get the Crew 9 because I'm sure it's elite.  It will carry on to all regular sized birds but you will have to gate check on american eagle and other commuter jets but you would have to with anything bigger than a briefcase.

http://www.travelpro.com/collection.cfm?collection=Crew%209

Travelpro is absolutely the best in its price class. Can confirm.

Tumi best overall.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: August 08, 2012, 09:02:03 AM »
Yeah, Tumi is elite, no doubt.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: August 08, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »
Going to Hawaii in January.  Bing says they are 80% sure the flight prices will be dropping like 50 bucks?  Should I care?  Or should I just buy the tickets and not have to worry about checking prices every day?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: August 08, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
Going to Hawaii in January.  Bing says they are 80% sure the flight prices will be dropping like 50 bucks?  Should I care?  Or should I just buy the tickets and not have to worry about checking prices every day?

what are prices currently?  why don't you have miles to go free?

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: August 08, 2012, 12:25:11 PM »

Around $800.00.  Seem like pretty good prices. I don't like to use my miles on economy, and I just don't care enough about this flight for some reason to want to fly business class.  Plus for the planes I'm on, business class isn't much better than coach.  I'll probably fly like a baller when I go to London next summer, though.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: August 08, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »
Man, I really hate the heavy users of the four wheel roller bags. Yeah, I know they're more practical in line or something but it usually seems like the fools pushing them along between gates are smug assholes in pleated khakis and polo shirts with logos and a Bluetooth headset.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: August 08, 2012, 12:27:28 PM »

Around $800.00.  Seem like pretty good prices. I don't like to use my miles on economy, and I just don't care enough about this flight for some reason to want to fly business class.  Plus for the planes I'm on, business class isn't much better than coach.  I'll probably fly like a baller when I go to London next summer, though.

ok.  yeah, not a bad rate.  You will sometimes/rarley see a $600 RT rate but $800 is probably the average. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: August 08, 2012, 12:29:18 PM »
Man, I really hate the heavy users of the four wheel roller bags. Yeah, I know they're more practical in line our something but it usually seems like the fools pushing them along between gates are smug assholes in pleated khakis and polo shirts with logos and a Bluetooth headset.

yeah, agree.  I have a MONSTER samsonite 4 wheel roller but it rarely gets used.  Will be pulling it out for the first time in awhile in November where I have a 70 lbs weight limit on an extended winter trip. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: travel thread
« Reply #935 on: August 08, 2012, 12:35:50 PM »
Man, I really hate the heavy users of the four wheel roller bags. Yeah, I know they're more practical in line our something but it usually seems like the fools pushing them along between gates are smug assholes in pleated khakis and polo shirts with logos and a Bluetooth headset.

yeah, agree.  I have a MONSTER samsonite 4 wheel roller but it rarely gets used.  Will be pulling it out for the first time in awhile in November where I have a 70 lbs weight limit on an extended winter trip.

Can you pull them like you would a two wheel roller? I think it's the dorks just pushing them along in open space that really grind my gears.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: August 08, 2012, 12:37:54 PM »

Can you pull them like you would a two wheel roller? I think it's the dorks just pushing them along in open space that really grind my gears.

This is critical.  I'm fine w/getting the 4-wheeler linked above, but I want to be able to pull it like a normal dude in shorts, flip-flops and a pak head shirt.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: August 08, 2012, 12:39:43 PM »

This is critical.  I'm fine w/getting the 4-wheeler linked above, but I want to be able to pull it like a normal dude in shorts, flip-flops and a pak head shirt.

that's a two wheeler linked above.  it's rough ridin' elite.  buy it already. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: August 08, 2012, 12:41:02 PM »

the small ones you can and they do piss me off when they are hogging up space.  mine you can but it's difficult because of its massive size.  it's not really what you are talking about I don't think. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: August 08, 2012, 12:42:53 PM »
roller board = 2 wheels, make great carry ons, linked above

spinner = 4 wheels, piss off rusty, good if you need a massive bag as they roll around with no effort or leaning over

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: August 08, 2012, 12:46:13 PM »
roller board = 2 wheels, make great carry ons, linked above

spinner = 4 wheels, piss off rusty, good if you need a massive bag as they roll around with no effort or leaning over

the spinners do seem very handy in tight spaces.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:49:52 PM by michigancat »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 08, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »

:lol:  Looked at it briefly on my phone while driving earlier and thought those nubs at the foreground were wheels.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 08, 2012, 01:11:05 PM »

:lol:  Looked at it briefly on my phone while driving earlier and thought those nubs at the foreground were wheels.

Same

SD, will it do wheels out on a 737? My current roller us fine on a 757, but I have to turn it on some of the 737's.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 08, 2012, 01:12:28 PM »
22" is the largest carry on according to US carriers.  Don't get a 24"

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: August 08, 2012, 09:25:37 PM »
I just ordered the 9s, both the 22-inch 2-wheeler and the 21-inch 4-wheeler.  Both were prime, free shipping, free returns, so I'll see which is better or if there's use for both.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #945 on: August 09, 2012, 06:18:05 AM »
You won't regret it

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: August 09, 2012, 01:15:15 PM »

november?  where are you going in november that would require the use of a 70lb weight limit 4 wheel roller  :confused:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 11, 2012, 09:25:15 AM »
I just ordered the 9s, both the 22-inch 2-wheeler and the 21-inch 4-wheeler.  Both were prime, free shipping, free returns, so I'll see which is better or if there's use for both.

They arrived yesterday.  Think I'm gonna keep the 4-wheeler and exchange the 2-wheeler for the giant version of the 4-wheeler and be set for a while.  Very easy to roll the 4-wheeler 2-wheel-style when walking a  long way and not look like a pleated bad person.  The 4-wheeler's handle has a little more substance to it and the suit bag thing can be taken out when not needed but is permanently built in on the 2-wheeler.  Neither had the foam-padded front pocket to put a laptop in, but I've found a perfect bag for all my tech stuff (see dlew grad gift thread) so I don't think I'd be using it ever anyway.

EDIT: The suit bar and cover thing can be removed from the 2-wheeler, but on the 4-wheeler it's a bag that you load your suit in and drop it in the suitcase vs. a slot that the suit goes in and folds up while attached to the inside of the top part of the suitcase..
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:33:26 AM by Trim »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 11, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »
pretty elite though amirite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: August 11, 2012, 07:24:33 AM »
pretty elite though amirite

Looks that way.  Of course, I've done nothing other than inspect them in my living room.

Are there maximum size limits on checked bags?  They've got the same 9 spinner in 25, 26, 28 and 29 relatively cheap too.  I'll get the biggest one that won't be a hassle.