Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1334570 times)

WillieWatanabe and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #725 on: July 09, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »
oh man la jolla don't even get me started.

:confused:

ok then, get me started. i love that place. that's pretty much it i guess.  :dunno:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: July 09, 2012, 01:06:23 PM »
oh, also...ucsd  :love:

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: July 09, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »
oh man la jolla don't even get me started.

:confused:

ok then, get me started. i love that place. that's pretty much it i guess.  :dunno:

:party:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 09, 2012, 01:20:04 PM »

Helped my best friend move there because he's going to grad school at UCSD. What an amazing place. Campus tours would be so great. "And if you look down this hill you can see, yes, that is the Pacific Ocean."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 09, 2012, 01:23:37 PM »

Helped my best friend move there because he's going to grad school at UCSD. What an amazing place. Campus tours would be so great. "And if you look down this hill you can see, yes, that is the Pacific Ocean."

what borders that side of campus?  oh, just some golf course.  rorrey pines or lorrey pines or something. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 09, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »
Del Mar is kind of cool/campy.  Spent an entire afternoon/evening drinking on the beach at this place once:

http://www.poseidonrestaurant.com/

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 09, 2012, 02:56:53 PM »

yep, la jolla is basically the manhattan ks of california.

"oh yeah, those are the flint hills. yeah, yeah, i sometimes think i'm dreaming too".

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: July 09, 2012, 03:03:33 PM »
My plan is to stay at the andaz hyatt in the gas lamp district from dec 28 to new years day.   Good or bad idea?   The avg high in December is 66.

Offline kstate16

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: July 09, 2012, 03:13:46 PM »
I have always dreamed of living in the San Diego area, ever since my family visited there like 10 yrs ago. I have been researching jobs for when I graduate next May, and their are a lot of opportunities in my field.  However, I have a suspicion that the salary won't match the cost of living increase.  It's gotta be like twice the cost of living in KC, am I right? Any San Diegians (sp?) that can verify?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: July 09, 2012, 03:28:44 PM »
My plan is to stay at the andaz hyatt in the gas lamp district from dec 28 to new years day.   Good or bad idea?   The avg high in December is 66.

yeah, sounds dreamy.  you won't be swimming sans wetsuit or anything but should be a blast.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: July 09, 2012, 03:30:40 PM »
I have always dreamed of living in the San Diego area, ever since my family visited there like 10 yrs ago. I have been researching jobs for when I graduate next May, and their are a lot of opportunities in my field.  However, I have a suspicion that the salary won't match the cost of living increase.  It's gotta be like twice the cost of living in KC, am I right? Any San Diegians (sp?) that can verify?

yeah, it will be more expensive relative to what you would make.  kc is about as good as it is going to get on the salary/cost of living front.  you have to determine your opportunity cost for the other advanatages.  I mean, you can bike or ride a scooter to work 365 days a year. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 09, 2012, 03:36:54 PM »
hungout in chicago this last weekend.

kayaking the chicago river is a lot of fun, but a little bit more involved than i expected.  got pretty worn out.  Also, Chicago has a ton of bars. Seems like there are a lot more bars per capita than in NYC.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 09, 2012, 03:39:44 PM »

kayaking the chicago river is a lot of fun, but a little bit more involved than i expected.  got pretty worn out.  Also, Chicago has a ton of bars. Seems like there are a lot more bars per capita than in NYC.

well, that bodes well for the goEMAW annual meeting this year

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 09, 2012, 03:49:54 PM »

well, that bodes well for the goEMAW annual meeting this year

Don't forget, we've got a lot of important matters to discuss.  Work before fun.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 09, 2012, 03:55:35 PM »

Just, hypothetically, if someone was going there in a month and a half, what were the best bars for having a great time with some buds?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: July 09, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »

Just, hypothetically, if someone was going there in a month and a half, what were the best bars for having a great time with some buds?

The hot place for EMAW in the Windy City is Excalibur.   They have that thing where you watch midget goths dance in cages while your buddy pees in the corner and gets hit over the head with a 4 D cell Maglite by a big bouncer.*

*true story

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 09, 2012, 04:44:14 PM »

i don't know.  there's a k-state bar there in Lincoln Park (i think), but really, walk down any block, and choose from one of the 3 or 4 bars on it.

also, lincoln park (the neighborhood, not the band, but the band too, when they did the Jay-Z mashups) is sweet. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 09, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »

The cost of living won't double. Housing will, but nothing else will (except maybe your surfing and board short budgets). Go to San Diego.  You are 23 years old and shouldn't worry about stupid things like cost of living.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 09, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »

The cost of living won't double. Housing will, but nothing else will (except maybe your surfing and board short budgets). Go to San Diego.  You are 23 years old and shouldn't worry about stupid things like cost of living.

Yeah, and if you end up moving back to KC, you will feel rich as crap living in your Leawood house for the same monthly cost of your apartment/rent in SD.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 09, 2012, 05:14:20 PM »

yep, la jolla is basically the manhattan ks of california.

"oh yeah, those are the flint hills. yeah, yeah, i sometimes think i'm dreaming too".

My brother in laws, in laws live there.  I have an incredible UCSD Triton hoodie.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 09, 2012, 05:17:12 PM »
love SD.  I want to move there eventually.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 09, 2012, 05:22:02 PM »
Went with some friends to Chicago last summer, really enjoyed the bar district at State and Division, whatever it's called.  She Nannigans House of Beer was cool and cheap.  Pretty young crowd.  Be wary of the hustlers on the streets after the bars close at 4 though.  My extremely drunk Canadian friend unwittingly bought some really expensive baking chowder.
:adios:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 09, 2012, 05:34:43 PM »
Went with some friends to Chicago last summer, really enjoyed the bar district at State and Division, whatever it's called.  She Nannigans House of Beer was cool and cheap.  Pretty young crowd.  Be wary of the hustlers on the streets after the bars close at 4 though. My extremely drunk Canadian friend unwittingly bought some really expensive baking chowder.
:lol:

Offline kstate16

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 09, 2012, 05:40:20 PM »

25K in student loan debt  :sdeek:

I'm sure some of you had worse......butt eff

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: travel thread
« Reply #749 on: July 09, 2012, 06:14:20 PM »

25K in student loan debt  :sdeek:

I'm sure some of you had worse......butt eff

Yeah, just move to Fairway. I bet the Blue Moose has great happy hour deals now.