Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1335039 times)

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #675 on: June 10, 2012, 11:27:18 PM »
Going to San Fran with the madre for a few days.  Any good son/mom bonding time activities?  Going to see the Rock and redwoods and stuff.  Anything else?

I'm assuming you mean the redwoods outside santa cruz? Otherwise the ones in Kings Canyon Park would take almost half a day to get to from San Francisco.

But if you are talking about Santa Cruz, Id suggest also heading south to the other side of the monterey bay and go explore Monterey and Carmel. I recently did this with my Mom and it was a lot of fun. The acquarium in Monterey is ridiculous and Carmel is a couple miles from Pebble Beach. 17 mile drive is pretty sweet but is dwarfed by highway 1 south of the bay. Also did some wine tasting outside Carmel. Anyway its a pretty cool area with lots of Mom things to do imo.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 11, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »
Going to San Fran with the madre for a few days.  Any good son/mom bonding time activities?  Going to see the Rock and redwoods and stuff.  Anything else?

I'm assuming you mean the redwoods outside santa cruz? Otherwise the ones in Kings Canyon Park would take almost half a day to get to from San Francisco.

But if you are talking about Santa Cruz, Id suggest also heading south to the other side of the monterey bay and go explore Monterey and Carmel. I recently did this with my Mom and it was a lot of fun. The acquarium in Monterey is ridiculous and Carmel is a couple miles from Pebble Beach. 17 mile drive is pretty sweet but is dwarfed by highway 1 south of the bay. Also did some wine tasting outside Carmel. Anyway its a pretty cool area with lots of Mom things to do imo.

Moms love Lombard St.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 12, 2012, 09:56:47 AM »
Taking the woman to chicago end of july. Leaving Thur night, hitting up a cubs game friday afternoon, maybe a museum on saturday.

Please critic my loose itenary and add any suggestions

Thursday-

-Will be flying in and out of midway(Southwest  :love:)
-Staying just north of downtown
-Will not be renting car, google tells me the orange line/red line goes straight to my hotel from midway
-Arrive Thur night around 8, need something to do after unpacking, will prob walk around(Hotel will be on ohio and state st)

Friday-

-Take red line to wrigley around 11am on friday, pak until game starts at 1:20
-Meet up with friends who live in chicago in wrigleyville/lincoln park area after game
- Continue paking with friends

Saturday-

-Go to the shedd aquarium or museum of science and industry, can you do both? Which one is better?
-Eat someplace nice?

Sunday-

Leave in the morning

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 12, 2012, 10:15:42 AM »
pro tip

you can pak ON THE TRAIN!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 12, 2012, 10:18:42 AM »
pro tip

you can pak ON THE TRAIN!

:love:

Thanks for the input Puniraptor! This is the kind of collaboration that makes goEMAW the BEST!

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 12, 2012, 10:29:58 AM »
I've alwasy assumed this is a tourist trap of some sort, but eating at the top of the John Hancock building is my favorite thing to do in Chicago. Great food and drinks, pretty damn pricey, but the view is worth the cost.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 12, 2012, 10:36:23 AM »
I've alwasy assumed this is a tourist trap of some sort, but eating at the top of the John Hancock building is my favorite thing to do in Chicago. Great food and drinks, pretty damn pricey, but the view is worth the cost.

Thanks for the reminder! Last time I was there I had a drink at the bar on the top of that building. I will have to do that again!

Once again thank you for the great reminder!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 12, 2012, 11:25:08 AM »

trolley ride and double decker bus tour and slamming beers with rusty

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 16, 2012, 02:24:19 AM »

Just did that today actually.  The Carmel/Monterey was great.  No wine tasting though.  Hate wine.

SF is a great place for mom/son vacation. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 18, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »
Kougs, I'm going to Germany next summer and thinking about going over to Prague.  Mrs.kcpowercat is big on planning ahead and we are planning the trip now.  What should we see/do?  Any tips?
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 18, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »
I have to go to Grand Forks, ND next week. Anything to do there?  :lol:

brother got a grad degree from UND.  visited once.  you can play blackjack at every bar in town.  like, you walk into a basically dirt floor hole in the wall and there's some guy in the corner at a blackjack table.  they will let you order food and eat it at the blackjack table and everything.  there is nothing else to do in town.  very much nothing.  there is a place called The Blue Moose (not related to KC blue moose) that is on the river and pretty decent bar food.

I saw a very beautiful sunset at 11 pm in Grand Forks. I would say ND is underrated in the beautiful department. At least in the summer.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 19, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
cool -
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/19/yikes-hotel-platform-unlock-door-smartphone-app-ios-android/

that does look very cool.  hopefully all the big names integrate quickly.  love the automatically choosing the floor in the elevator thing.

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 20, 2012, 09:34:20 AM »
Heading to the Democratic Republic of the Congo in two weeks for work. Any tips?

Also will be in going to Jamaica in October. Suggestions on fun things to do?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: June 20, 2012, 11:53:30 AM »
Heading to the Democratic Republic of the Congo in two weeks for work. Any tips?

Also will be in going to Jamaica in October. Suggestions on fun things to do?

where in jamaica?

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 20, 2012, 12:11:08 PM »

where in jamaica?

Pretty sure we're staying at the Grand Palladium all inclusive in Montego Bay

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: travel thread
« Reply #692 on: June 20, 2012, 12:42:29 PM »

Tip 1: find a job that doesn't send you to Africa.
:adios:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 20, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »

where in jamaica?

hmmm. i just googled it and it actually looks like it's in lucea which is a tiny dump of a town about halfway between montego bay and negril. that's ok though because montego bay is a dump as well and there's nothing there worth seeing. if you want to leave the resort, then there are day trips and things you can do and go to like waterfalls and river rides and things like that, but they'll all be a pretty decent drive and you'll have to hire a driver to take you to them and back from them. you could also take a taxi or bus into negril and explore the beach and cliffs area which is pretty cool, but if you're already at an all inclusive then you might not want to do that i guess. my advice is to just stay at the all inclusive that you're booked at and see how many times you can get tanked each day.

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 20, 2012, 01:49:38 PM »

where in jamaica?

hmmm. i just googled it and it actually looks like it's in lucea which is a tiny dump of a town about halfway between montego bay and negril. that's ok though because montego bay is a dump as well and there's nothing there worth seeing. if you want to leave the resort, then there are day trips and things you can do and go to like waterfalls and river rides and things like that, but they'll all be a pretty decent drive and you'll have to hire a driver to take you to them and back from them. you could also take a taxi or bus into negril and explore the beach and cliffs area which is pretty cool, but if you're already at an all inclusive then you might not want to do that i guess. my advice is to just stay at the all inclusive that you're booked at and see how many times you can get tanked each day.

:thumbs:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 20, 2012, 01:55:46 PM »

sounds awesome. take lots of pics.

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 20, 2012, 02:57:39 PM »

from what we were told by the client, taking pictures is a sign of terrorism there and is strictly not allowed.  :frown:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 20, 2012, 07:36:48 PM »

where in jamaica?

I climbed one of the waterfalls there when I was 8.  I enjoyed it a lot.  But I was 8.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 20, 2012, 07:44:47 PM »
Holy crap. I might be able to go from Austin to Liverpool and back and go see Everton play Liverpool for under $12-1300 in October.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 20, 2012, 07:51:34 PM »

from what we were told by the client, taking pictures is a sign of terrorism there and is strictly not allowed.  :frown:

your client sounds like dumbass

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1104.html

even if he's partially right