Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1354586 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #16000 on: November 13, 2023, 08:56:01 PM »

Friends, I spent over 2 enraging hours last night getting irrationally angry trying to find and book some flights, so basically the same cycle for every non Southwest Air trip I take. Anyhoo

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16001 on: November 13, 2023, 09:16:10 PM »

Friends, I spent over 2 enraging hours last night getting irrationally angry trying to find and book some flights, so basically the same cycle for every non Southwest Air trip I take. Anyhoo

He didn't say he didn't book a Southwest flight! It's all a mess either way. Godspeed SF

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16002 on: November 14, 2023, 08:39:59 AM »
Guys, I swear i'm not really the incompetent moron I appear to be. Travel booking is just the Universe's way of trying to break me for some reason. I'm mostly blessed so this is what they came up with.

It was not a SW trip, I can almost always figure that out. After thinking about it more, 45 min was just not enough time so I called Chase and spoke to the nice lady again. She was like, yeah, agree with the nice Delta lady, you should have never booked that even though it was a choice on both of our websites. Since I already had a separate return flight with a different airline (again, not many options from KC), I just asked the nice lady to book another flight that I found that left way earlier, but had a longer layover. While trying to cancel this flight she said she couldn't and that I was not in my 24 hour window. I politely disagreed and told her I was looking at my confirmation email with a time stamp saying I had like 4 more hours. After a while she got it cancelled,   :driving: I had already had the American site up (that was my return flight originally) and I told her what to book. She found it and booked it so we were ready to go right....right.... Well Mrs SF was next to me trying to keep me from smashing everything and cancelling the family vacation altogether and she quietly tapped me and pointed at the American screen I had up. The exact same flights were over $500 cheaper in total on the American site than through Chase. Now, Mrs SF knew at this point that bringing this up might make me explode because I was almost finished with this nightmare, but $500 is $500. I mentioned this to the nice lady at Chase and she just said that happens sometimes.(of course it happens to me right?). So after all that, I asked the nice Chase lady to go ahead and just cancel the whole rough ridin' thing now and I thanked her for her time and Mrs SF reentered all the crap on the American site and we are booked.

Thanks for listening everyone. I'll post here again yelling about travel people if my trip this weekend to see the Cats play on the beach gets messed up.

Go Cats

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16003 on: November 14, 2023, 08:50:34 AM »
I wonder what thing Steve Dave is terrible at that stupid fitz does for fun in his spare time

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16004 on: November 14, 2023, 10:39:45 AM »
:lol:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16005 on: November 15, 2023, 02:58:44 PM »
What is the covid consensus among travel folks these days? We have still been pretty conservative and will test with the regular symptoms and stay away from everyone. Thankfully, we haven't had to deal with it in a while. Mrs SF asked me the other day what we would do if someone in the family got it before a big vacation. I initially said, I guess we wouldn't go and she said every single person in her office said eff that, unless someone is really sick, vacation on. I'd feel like a dick on the plane, I think.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16006 on: November 15, 2023, 03:08:20 PM »
What is the covid consensus among travel folks these days? We have still been pretty conservative and will test with the regular symptoms and stay away from everyone. Thankfully, we haven't had to deal with it in a while. Mrs SF asked me the other day what we would do if someone in the family got it before a big vacation. I initially said, I guess we wouldn't go and she said every single person in her office said eff that, unless someone is really sick, vacation on. I'd feel like a dick on the plane, I think.

As a society, we've already discovered the amount of time we're willing to entertain the concept of isolating when you have a contagious illness. I had hoped that in the work/school/childcare context, "stay at home if you feel sick" would catch on, but it turns out we're selfish and greedy. Who knew?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16007 on: November 15, 2023, 03:14:46 PM »

As a society, we've already discovered the amount of time we're willing to entertain the concept of isolating when you have a contagious illness. I had hoped that in the work/school/childcare context, "stay at home if you feel sick" would catch on, but it turns out we're selfish and greedy. Who knew?

yep, agree. Also, I knew masks wouldn't catch on because people are batshit nuts and selfish, but it was pretty sweet when everyone was masked up that one winter and no one in my family caught anything the entire cold and flu season. T&Ps to all those people that died from carbon dioxide poisoning from wearing their masks though.

NO PIT STUFF!!!!!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16008 on: November 15, 2023, 03:23:32 PM »

yep, agree. Also, I knew masks wouldn't catch on because people are batshit nuts and selfish, but it was pretty sweet when everyone was masked up that one winter and no one in my family caught anything the entire cold and flu season. T&Ps to all those people that died from carbon dioxide poisoning from wearing their masks though.

NO PIT STUFF!!!!!

Wasn't trying to pit it up. Just a comment on human nature based on my observations. Btw, I still occasionally see people masked up, but mostly just employees. And I still carry masks in my laptop bag, just in case someone/some place requests it. (They never do.)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16009 on: November 15, 2023, 03:41:07 PM »
I had to wear a mask at the dentist last week. I also see folks on the subway and planes masked pretty regularly.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16010 on: November 15, 2023, 03:43:59 PM »
I had to wear a mask at the dentist last week. I also see folks on the subway and planes masked pretty regularly.

yeah, I regularly still see people on planes and in airports masked. had a youth basketball referee who wore a mask the entire game last weekend too!

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16011 on: November 15, 2023, 03:50:03 PM »

Mrs SF and I have been wearing them on planes still. She got stuck next to a dude snotting all over the place our last flight so we were pretty glad we had our N95s on. Also, eff that guy. Blow your nose you rough ridin' toddler!!!!!

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16012 on: November 16, 2023, 01:37:31 PM »
Is there a place that shows just scheduled arrivals at an airport for 8 months from now? I have a group of people coming from different airports meeting at the same location that I need to schedule & I’m trying to see if I can back into their schedules.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16013 on: November 16, 2023, 04:53:16 PM »
Is there a place that shows just scheduled arrivals at an airport for 8 months from now? I have a group of people coming from different airports meeting at the same location that I need to schedule & I’m trying to see if I can back into their schedules.

Google flights but won't have like SWA. Airlines can still jack with schedules that far out.

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #16014 on: November 17, 2023, 01:19:06 PM »

Thought I got another better pic, oh well

Catchacold would be all over this one but I’ll pinch hit… RDM.  Got any VQ pics to go with it?

lol barely recognized it from that photo. Maybe this one looks a little less third world:

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #16015 on: November 17, 2023, 01:21:33 PM »
Strava version, wandered around this place for a few hours yesterday.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #16016 on: November 17, 2023, 01:32:43 PM »
Has anyone visited Gunnison/Crested Butte recently? Looking at a June 2024 trip to Three Rivers Resort for some hiking, fishing, etc. with my lady friend. 

Any tips appreciated.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16017 on: November 27, 2023, 08:46:38 AM »
I'm back fellas. The Grand Hyatt Baha Mar was pretty legit. The nicest resort I've ever been too. Pretty pricy though. Some of the food was just ridiculously priced, but we knew that going in. I still can't decide, but I think I prefer paying all up front at all inclusive type places. it prob works out the same, but paying for it ahead of time and just grabbing whatever you want works better in my brain. Plus its just a pain in the ass to get a check and fill out crap every time you get drinks or food. The food was way better than at any all inclusive that I've ever been to, so that tilts the scale back the other way though. All in all, it was a great trip. Great beach, weather, food, drinks, etc. Would def go back there. Would have been even more fun if the Cats would have remembered that Nigel Pack was pretty good at shooting basketballs and they didn't suck at shooting basketballs, but Lil SF and I still had fun.

Go Cats

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16018 on: December 04, 2023, 01:02:46 PM »
What airport am I currently in?

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #16019 on: December 05, 2023, 03:23:51 PM »
GCK?

jk, jk

DEN

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16020 on: December 08, 2023, 12:06:43 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16021 on: December 13, 2023, 09:42:57 PM »
Gate lice. If this is you, I hope you stub your toe the next 5 days in a row
https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2023/12/13/gate-lice-plane-boarding-line/

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16022 on: December 13, 2023, 09:54:06 PM »
So as I'm sure most of you know United changed their boarding to allow window sitters to board early. I am a window sitter, almost always seat 7F or 7A, but I also have the status and sit in economy plus to always be in the second group anyway. Well now United's new boarding policy has like tripled the amount of people in group 2 and the gate lice are out of control. It was so bad on one of my fights last week, even sitting in row 7, I couldn't put my backpack in the overhead. All of these group 5 noobs were gate licing in my group to the point where I was third from last boarding in the group.

Damnit United
 :curse:

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16023 on: December 13, 2023, 09:54:33 PM »
It's so weird tbh. I'm almost the opposite unless I have like a first class/business class seat where being on early matters due to perks. I love flying ( the literal in the sky part) but I hate being on a plane sooner than I need be to reduce just being stuck next to someone.

Also in my experience airlines with very distinct names for zones (like delta using first class, comfort plus, then sky priority , then main cabin) tends to make it less worse. Cause Zone 1 through 4 or w/e just doesn't impress upon people to hold back.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16024 on: December 13, 2023, 09:55:22 PM »
 it's because overhead bin space is limited by the airline intentionally. These are almost exclusively business travellers who can't check a bag and need to assure they get it up top. It's not a people problem, it's an airline problem.