Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1354435 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #15975 on: October 27, 2023, 03:50:11 PM »
I use flight tracker amateur and still find it pretty useful

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15976 on: October 30, 2023, 10:15:30 AM »
Which mexican food joint should I eat in Austin next weekend? I haven't been to AUS in quite some time.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #15977 on: October 30, 2023, 01:07:54 PM »
I didn't know WillieWatanabe was traveling to Detroit tomorrow!

I missed my flight!!
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15978 on: October 30, 2023, 01:11:23 PM »
Which mexican food joint should I eat in Austin next weekend? I haven't been to AUS in quite some time.

Not fully mexican but Peached Tortilla is really good

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15979 on: October 30, 2023, 01:15:23 PM »

Kinda depends what flavors you're seeking, but Matt's El Rancho is pretty iconic and delicious. It's on South Lamar. Def worth it.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15980 on: October 30, 2023, 01:18:23 PM »

Kinda depends what flavors you're seeking, but Matt's El Rancho is pretty iconic and delicious. It's on South Lamar. Def worth it.

I celebrate all varieties of mexican food from complete authentic to tex mex. thanks

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15981 on: October 30, 2023, 01:21:44 PM »

I celebrate all varieties of mexican food from complete authentic to tex mex. thanks

Matt's El Rancho is like pinnacle Tex Mex. Hope that helps. Possibly best margs in the city, too.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #15982 on: October 30, 2023, 01:34:48 PM »
I think we’re going to a comedian show after the game, not sure where we are gonna eat yet.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15983 on: November 13, 2023, 08:12:27 AM »
Friends, I spent over 2 enraging hours last night getting irrationally angry trying to find and book some flights, so basically the same cycle for every non Southwest Air trip I take. Anyhoo, I finally got it all entered in the Chase portal and I bet you guys know what happened next.....yep, sorry can't be booked please call.  :curse: :curse: :curse:
Its fine though, the nice lady said its a known issue so that helps. I'd seriously rather let everyone one of you punch me in the balls than do this. end rant.

now for my question, after spending another hour on the phone telling the nice lady all of the exact same info I had already spent way too much time entering myself, I got it booked. However, I discovered that my connection appears pretty tight. I think we have discussed this here at some point, but how screwed am I with a 45 minute connection in Atlanta? It was basically my only option so I'm not sure I have a reasonable choice. I've been to Atlanta and know that my gates could be 17 feet or 17 miles a part. Should I roll with it (i probably have to) or would you look for any other option? Thanks

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15984 on: November 13, 2023, 12:15:41 PM »
You'll be fine
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15985 on: November 13, 2023, 12:20:30 PM »
If you change it, you'll likely get the same results as if you happened to miss it.  Might as well try to make it. 45 minutes seems pretty ok.  They'd probably hold the plane a little longer if you're cutting it close.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15986 on: November 13, 2023, 12:27:46 PM »
Do you need to change terminals in Atlanta on SW? Probably not unless it's international.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15987 on: November 13, 2023, 01:16:58 PM »
Friends, I spent over 2 enraging hours last night getting irrationally angry trying to find and book some flights, so basically the same cycle for every non Southwest Air trip I take. Anyhoo, I finally got it all entered in the Chase portal and I bet you guys know what happened next.....yep, sorry can't be booked please call.  :curse: :curse: :curse:
Its fine though, the nice lady said its a known issue so that helps. I'd seriously rather let everyone one of you punch me in the balls than do this. end rant.

now for my question, after spending another hour on the phone telling the nice lady all of the exact same info I had already spent way too much time entering myself, I got it booked. However, I discovered that my connection appears pretty tight. I think we have discussed this here at some point, but how screwed am I with a 45 minute connection in Atlanta? It was basically my only option so I'm not sure I have a reasonable choice. I've been to Atlanta and know that my gates could be 17 feet or 17 miles a part. Should I roll with it (i probably have to) or would you look for any other option? Thanks

@mikec2w

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15988 on: November 13, 2023, 02:47:13 PM »
Do you need to change terminals in Atlanta on SW? Probably not unless it's international.

I prob need to look into this more. It is technically international (British Virgin Islands). Didn't even think of this point. That seems pretty tight and I'm surprised it was an option. There were only a couple of options and they were similar because flying anywhere fun out of KC is a pain.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15989 on: November 13, 2023, 03:00:02 PM »

I prob need to look into this more. It is technically international (British Virgin Islands). Didn't even think of this point. That seems pretty tight and I'm surprised it was an option. There were only a couple of options and they were similar because flying anywhere fun out of KC is a pain.

Where are you going in BVI? Tortuga? Jost Van Dyke?

I've made a tight connection in Atlanta en route to BVI, and I was able to catch the flight DESPITE the fact that I was forced to gate check my carry-on (containing my passport!), and some bad person grabbed the wrong bag on the jet bridge thinking it was his. I was able to track down my bag and make the flight in a different terminal (some jogging/running was involved). I believe the layover was the same as yours, +/- 5 minutes. So long as your flight to Atlanta is reasonably on time, you can do it. But I implore you: keep your passport on your person.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15990 on: November 13, 2023, 03:06:13 PM »

I've made a tight connection in Atlanta en route to BVI, and I was able to catch the flight DESPITE the fact that I was forced to gate check my carry-on (containing my passport!), and some bad person grabbed the wrong bag on the jet bridge thinking it was his. I was able to track down my bag and make the flight in a different terminal (some jogging/running was involved). I believe the layover was the same as yours, +/- 5 minutes. So long as your flight to Atlanta is reasonably on time, you can do it. But I implore you: keep your passport on your person.

Turks and Caicos. I just rechecked directly from the Delta site and its either this option with a 42m turnaround in ATL or a 1 hour and 15 min turnaround at JFK. Def not switching for 30 extra minutes and heading the wrong direction. May need to consider travel insurance for the first time and or just bite it and pray. Can't wait to see all the pissed off people on the plane trying to get to the beach but have to wait for a family of assholes because our flight from KC didn't leave on time.  :sdeek:

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15991 on: November 13, 2023, 03:11:19 PM »
When I have taken sw internationally (and with a connection) the flight was always from the normal sw domestic terminal. Arrivals are at international though and 45 minutes is def not enough.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15992 on: November 13, 2023, 03:22:46 PM »
They also REQUIRE that you check in with an agent before going through security so allow time for that at mci. They make sure you have your passport and any other documentation in order. Then on the international flight you have to present your passport again at boarding.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15993 on: November 13, 2023, 03:25:57 PM »

Turks and Caicos. I just rechecked directly from the Delta site and its either this option with a 42m turnaround in ATL or a 1 hour and 15 min turnaround at JFK. Def not switching for 30 extra minutes and heading the wrong direction. May need to consider travel insurance for the first time and or just bite it and pray. Can't wait to see all the pissed off people on the plane trying to get to the beach but have to wait for a family of assholes because our flight from KC didn't leave on time.  :sdeek:

I've never heard Turks and Caicos referred to as "BVI," but maybe I'm ignorant. (But I'm pretty sure I'm correct.)

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15994 on: November 13, 2023, 03:32:03 PM »
I think my last sw international connection was like 25 minutes at bwi and the first leg was 20 minutes late. They held the plane for me and it was no big deal. I certainly didn't do any running and made it in under 10 minutes.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15995 on: November 13, 2023, 03:43:46 PM »
They also REQUIRE that you check in with an agent before going through security so allow time for that at mci. They make sure you have your passport and any other documentation in order. Then on the international flight you have to present your passport again at boarding.

yeah, i'm good on the KC part and know what we will have to go through there. Its just the landing in ATL, getting to the new terminal on the international side, all in 45 min etc.... I just talked to Delta and they were like, yeah, I wouldn't do that at all. Just sucks that they have it as an option so my assumption is if I can buy it it, I should be fine, but that might not be the case.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15996 on: November 13, 2023, 03:46:23 PM »
Why are you asking delta when you booked with sw? This might be why you keep running into problems  :confused:

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15997 on: November 13, 2023, 04:16:41 PM »
he said non-Southwest trip

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15998 on: November 13, 2023, 04:53:34 PM »
Oh wow, T's&p's

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15999 on: November 13, 2023, 08:54:22 PM »
he said non-Southwest trip
I don't think he said that? Given that the explanation seems like such a mess, I'd say he's in trouble